Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 26-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
dsjoyce

Exclamation What sort of EF have i got?

Hey all,

I bought my dads auto EF wagon off him earlier this year and just assumed it was a series 1 GLi. Anyhow my dash has both a volt meter and oil pressure gauge, in addition to the usual stuff, and a mate of mine suggested that GLi's lacked these goodies. It lacks climate control, a trip computer, power windows or any of that fancy stuff. It is however one of the later ones just before the series IIs came out so perhaps ford updated the dash towards the end? Also of interest to me was the fact that its first owner was the SA police department. Being a wagon i very much doubt it was a pursuit car, would it have any extra goodies at all? Mabye a towpack?

Thanks all!

Dan.

dsjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
hppsc
Banned

Check your compliance plate (passenger side of the engine bay, near the window sill) and check if it says OPT20 anywhere on that plate. If it does, which it most likely will, it is a police order from ford, and the dash you have is a cop spec dash. GLi's do lack the oil abd battery gauges, but cop spec dash's don't.

Also, check the side mirrors. If they have 'Objects in mirror are closer than they appear' etc, it's a series 2 GLi.

Cheers.
hppsc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
John_LS1

its possibly a futura. does it have rear head rests?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
EFFalcon
Last warning

does the cluster have 2 km increments?

futura didnt get the extra guages, only fairmont upwards, could be a cop cluster and maybe a cop optioned car.
as siad, check compliance plates.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
John_LS1

Shows how much i know about EF's :P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
Holbrookau
OPT 20

OPT20 (Police Pack) vehicles are GLI based but have a few extras, including:
Sports cluster same as XR except speedo has 2km increments and can be recalibrated in the car.
Uprated ECM (computer) with 230 kmph cut-out and higher auto transmission shift points.
ABS brakes.
Clock.
Mid series BEM (Body Electronics Module) - fade out for interior lights.
Map lights and rear reading lights.
Twin horns.
Lower front springs (XR?).
Polished Wheel Nuts
Holbrookau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
niko
likes falcon's

pics would be nice
Old 27-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #8
dsjoyce

wow guys thanks for all the info!

if you're right Holbrookau it sounds like i've got one tricked up wagon! i checked out the plate this morning and it had opt 10 or 20, i cant recall which. i would check now but my radiator let go on my way home tonight so it's sitting outside kmart tyre and auto. I honestly cant remember what increments the speed do has but i think its 2kph. im almost certain it hasnt got ABS however, at least there is no abs warning light that i can see on start up. is there any way i can check coz im a big advocate of abs so to have it would be cool? Twin horns...what does that mean exactly?

cheers all!
Old 27-07-2006, 11:45 PM   #9
dsjoyce

Ooh and the diff? Would love a 3.45 LSD! Doubt i have it though coz she's a slug off the line!
Old 28-07-2006, 12:25 AM   #10
hppsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjoyce
wow guys thanks for all the info!

if you're right Holbrookau it sounds like i've got one tricked up wagon! i checked out the plate this morning and it had opt 10 or 20, i cant recall which. i would check now but my radiator let go on my way home tonight so it's sitting outside kmart tyre and auto. I honestly cant remember what increments the speed do has but i think its 2kph. im almost certain it hasnt got ABS however, at least there is no abs warning light that i can see on start up. is there any way i can check coz im a big advocate of abs so to have it would be cool? Twin horns...what does that mean exactly?

cheers all!
It will have ABS.. Check in the engine bay for an ABS fuse in the fuse box along the drivers side of the engine bay. Failing that, the ABS module should be in front of the passenger side front wheel arch, behind the bumper bar. Kinda tricky to check, but it's there.. Though, if it doesn't say Check ABS when you turn the key, maybe it doesn't have abs?

Twin horns were so the car was louder when in pursuit/emergency. They would help alert upcoming drivers of the cars presence..
Old 28-07-2006, 02:34 AM   #11
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjoyce
Twin horns...what does that mean exactly?
As in two horns, you know, beep beep! :P

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #12
Holbrookau
OPT 20

Quote:
Ooh and the diff? Would love a 3.45 LSD!
You may be lucky and have a LSD (3.23 or 3.45), or maybe it's like mine and is just a 3.23 single wheeler..
Climb under the back of the car and look for tags on the diff housing - should be metal strip hanging off one of the cover bolts which has the serial number and ratio stamped on it. If it is a LSD it would also have a tag under the filler plug which says something like "Anti Spin Differential", and a sticker on the drivers side front pillar saying the same.
Polished Wheel Nuts
Old 28-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #13
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

My mums car has all them options on he cluster (oil, volt) and the rest and a RPM she aslo has a fade out light and a clock its a 94-95 Gli... but no ABS or LSD or 230km cut out unsure about twin horns, no lower front... SO I am confused!
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #14
dsjoyce

Nooooo don't say that 6cylEA! I'll have to have a look tomorrow morning - *fingerscrossed*
Old 29-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #15
soulfire
Kermit the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylEA
My mums car has all them options on he cluster (oil, volt) and the rest and a RPM she aslo has a fade out light and a clock its a 94-95 Gli... but no ABS or LSD or 230km cut out unsure about twin horns, no lower front... SO I am confused!
Whoever had it before may have changed the cluster - beware - this proably means the k's on the odometer aren't genuine.
In responce to the original question is has to be a cop pack, or it's had the cluster changed. All models above the gli get front power windows, so that would be the biggest giveaway.
soulfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #16
dsjoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrookau
You may be lucky and have a LSD (3.23 or 3.45), or maybe it's like mine and is just a 3.23 single wheeler..
Climb under the back of the car and look for tags on the diff housing - should be metal strip hanging off one of the cover bolts which has the serial number and ratio stamped on it. If it is a LSD it would also have a tag under the filler plug which says something like "Anti Spin Differential", and a sticker on the drivers side front pillar saying the same.
So i had a spare second to myself and managed to squeeze myself under the rear of the car, and found a metal tag as you predicted!

Scraping off 12 years of grime I am greeted with the phrase:

LSD HIGH
PERFORMANCE
APPROVED

Awesome! Now how exactly do i work out what sort of ratio i have!? I couldn't see any more markings but i'll look again tomorrow, and also see about that ABS. No sticker on the pillar either. It's been mentioned here and there that if you ring up or email ford with your VIN they'll give you all the details as it left the factory. Anyone got an actual number or email address for them?

Cheers guys and gals!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:40 PM   #17
Holbrookau
OPT 20

Was that tag on the diff plug? There should be another under one of the cover bolts with the ratio. Don't panic about the sticker, probably just means it isn't the same diff as fitted to XRs (which use a differant oil).
BTW - One thing on my list I forgot, OPT20s should have an auxiliary transmission oil cooler on the auto models. This is fitted in front of the radiator on the drivers side (can be seen through the bumper air intake).
Polished Wheel Nuts
Old 03-08-2006, 10:45 PM   #18
hppsc
Banned

dsjoyce, there's a few ways to check ratio..

- Look for a yellow sticker on the drivers side axle housing on the diff. It may say 3.45

- What RPM does your car sit on at 100km/hr ? 3.45 = ~2000 - 2200rpm @100km/hr

- jack the rear of the car with a trolley jack, and test the ratio by putting a mark on the yoke of the diff, and on the housing, at the same spot. then get someone to turn the back wheels one rotation and count how many times the mark crosses the other mark, then how much past it goes. So, if it'a 3.45, it'll go past 3 times, plus just under a half a turn.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #19
dsjoyce

Thanks guys, these new discoveries have got me all excited. I was looking at turfing the old girl and getting a skyline but now i'm tempted to hang onto her. Better look into cams, headers and a zorst!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #20
efgiar
rofl copter

with an auto it will sit at 2000rpm on 100kmh manual it will sit 2200-2250IIRC with the 3.45 lsd

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #21
dsjoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
with an auto it will sit at 2000rpm on 100kmh manual it will sit 2200-2250IIRC with the 3.45 lsd
I'll check this tomorrow on the way to work, but im wondering does having an aftermarket dual fuel system affect this? I have a feeling my car idles a bit higher than most EFs
Old 04-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #22
ef_classic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar

Mine sits at about 1,700 on a flat road.
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 03:21 PM   #23
Kryton

so does it say OPT20 or not?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

Ring ford and quote the VIN number for a definative answer.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #25
efgiar
rofl copter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef_classic
Mine sits at about 1,700 on a flat road.

prolly a 3.08 diff

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #26
dsjoyce

Ok well mine sits pretty much dead on 1800 on either petrol or gas...is this good or bad lol? And yah tis an OPT 20. Also i had a look and yup, i'm packing an oil cooler for the auto Still trying to figure out the abs though. I mean surely if it had ABS, there would be an abs warning light in the dash. No ifs, buts or maybes. So i guess i just answered my own question hehehe
Old 04-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #27
Kryton

try looking for the ABS fuse, if its been pulled it may not show on the dash???
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 11:53 PM   #28
dsjoyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
try looking for the ABS fuse, if its been pulled it may not show on the dash???
I had a look in the fuse box in the engine bay on the drivers side, and buggered if i can tell what's fused and what's not. I've not seen fuses like that before! It seems to have a big square something in it, but im not really sure if it's actually fused or not. I'm useless when it comes to stuff like this, i know :P
Old 05-08-2006, 01:10 AM   #29
Holbrookau
OPT 20

The square things are relays. Try the fuse box (in the car - lower right hand side of the dash). ABS power comes via the Auto TX fuse, which also runs the Air Bag and thermo fans..
Polished Wheel Nuts
Old 05-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #30
Holbrookau
OPT 20

Please ignore the above post - not sure where I was going with that one..
The main ABS fuse is in the rectangular fuse box located under the bonnet, beside the coolant reservoir - it's marked as ALB. These are fuses, just a different type than you're used to, and should be obtainable from most auto parts stores.
Polished Wheel Nuts