Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #31
Jake F6

Great result.

People power has won out in the end. Bizzare way of conducting business though...

Thanks to the forum for facilitating this outcome.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #32
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Sounds like a good outcome (at least from where we were 4 days ago)
Maybe cynical, but will there be a registration fee that all these newly registered tuners have to pay?...
$2000-$2500 per tuner to be able to continue programming flash 1 units would be a nice little income stream?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #33
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I do find this outcome acceptable.

I am still shaken.

Did the ends actually justify the means? I wonder if a less customer-confrontational means could have been attempted....

A by-product of this, though, is that a LOT of people will now be looking at competitive products for their next purchase, when before this they would not have. I, for one, am in this category. Who knows, I may still purchase an SCT unit, but this time around it will be after a lot more scrutiny than before.

One Question though: Is the ability of the XCal1 to be unlocked and moved to another car being retained? Or is the unit now locked to it's current car until the day it expires? I'm somewhat ambivalent on this issue, but I don't doubt some would like to know.

Luke
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #34
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do we need a constant autopsy? can't we just move on knowing its solved without still kicking the corpse?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #35
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloggs24
I dont quite understand the whole
"all new tune sales from here on will need to be done on the X3"
does this mean if we dont already have a tune on our X1, we have to buy the X3?
Or just if anyone wants a tune and doesnt have an X1 or X2, they now have to get the X3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrod
So long as these tune shops contact us ASAP on the details above, those who do will be able to update the XCal1 for as long as they have customers needing updates... This being said, all new tune sales from here on will need to be done on the X3, as again, components are no longer available to repair the XCal1 or add future years to them.
Rob said, to paraphrase "if your tuner wants to [demonstrated by his willing registration], he can tune your box until it dies - at which point you will need to upgrade if you wish to keep tuning. From here on in, approved tuner sales will be X3 only."
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

russell : I for one have been out working my **** off to try and get the cash together to do my mods, this is WHY I havn't been posting, I assume many others are in the same boat.

Herrod and SCT this is the most brilliant news I have heard all year, thankyou for allowing us to continue with xcal1 everybody concerned (me especially) is very very happy I praise you for having the guts to come to this decision. I imagine it would have been a most difficult one to make. : : : : : :

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #37
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrod Motorsport
as again, components are no longer available to repair the XCal1 or add future years to them.[/B
[/I]

This I’m sure will put EVERYONE at ease now and prove that there is nothing to be concerned about.

Trading is as normal for your chosen tune-shop and others alike!

Cheers,

The Team @ Herrod Motorsport & SCT
TAKE NOTE;
This is a sticky point i can see. If it packs it in, it cannot be repaired. Upgrade to the x3 will be needed?

Slight detail, just wanted to point it out to ya'll.
Well done to the level headed posters that provided calm and helpful insights into this.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 PM   #38
bdave351
R u a Fogwit or a HIDiot?

Congratualtions to Rob/Herrods for getting this result to get things back to where they should be. Well done.

Its a pity it ever came to this and has ruined the confidence of many ford enthusiasts in purchasing SCT products ever again.

Now Quattro RS3 powered
Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #39
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Adrian 6T]edited rubbish outQUOTE]

dude you think it wise to anger them and have them go we gave them what they want, and they still tell us to get effed? well here cop this xcal1 is dead so eff you all. Dude get some respect they couldn't have given us a better outcome.

Last edited by SpoolMan; 03-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #40
Adrian 6T
FPV BLOWN GS

Do you think they gave a stuff about us when they decided to turn off the key?

Dec 2011 FGII FPV GS SOLD
'08 BFII F6 Tornado 11.22 @ 125.3mph SOLD
Old 03-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #41
03XR6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
dude you think it wise to anger them and have them go we gave them what they want, and they still tell us to get effed? well here cop this xcal1 is dead so eff you all. Dude get some respect they couldn't have given us a better outcome.
I'm with Adrian6t. I don't think everyone needs to jump in here & praise SCT for doing the RIGHT thing as it's been put... Without the complete & utter balls up that this fiasco has turned into there would of been no need for SCT to rectify anything.

If the previous SCT dealer was somehow ripping SCT off like they say why not take it straight to them instead of causing such a huge shitfight?

Also following on from previous questions made by other members in this thread, what happens to people that have generic tunes on a XCAL1 at present? Can they still get custom tunes loaded?? I'm not in this boat myself but just want to check for others that are in the position.

Everyone jumping up & down praising the outcome is blind. We're still in a worse position than before this all started yet praise is being handed out to SCT directly???
Old 03-02-2009, 01:57 PM   #42
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

The problem has been solved. Everyone got what they wanted. Get over it and move on. Sheesh... :
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #43
straughsberry

Quote:
Respect for what or who? Threatening to rip thousands of people off? OK, the outcome is good but it should never have gotten to that point in first place. As far as I see it, we (innocent parties who have done nothing wrong and have paid for a product to perform specific tasks) have got what we paid for - nothing more, nothing less. It's not like SCT or anyone else has done anything special for their customers. Nobody likes stand-over tactics. If there was an alternative product, I'm sure SCT would have done things a little differently.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #44
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK they shouldn't have done it, I am sure they know that but they had to do something. Put it this way after this will you advise people to buy a flashtuner other than Herrod/SCT one - I think not, by doing what they have done they took a hit themselves, but the distributor that was tearing them has been completely hosed. SCT will continue on with Herrod, what will the other distributor do?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #45
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straughsberry
Respect for what or who? Threatening to rip thousands of people off? OK, the outcome is good but it should never have gotten to that point in first place. As far as I see it, we (innocent parties who have done nothing wrong and have paid for a product to perform specific tasks) have got what we paid for - nothing more, nothing less. It's not like SCT or anyone else has done anything special for their customers. Nobody likes stand-over tactics. If there was an alternative product, I'm sure SCT would have done things a little differently.
You missed the last 3 threads its all been covered, last 3 threads were closed.
We now have a solution, this is the point of this thread...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #46
MGR

Well done to Herrod's for orchestrating a satisfactory solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrod Motorsport
This being said, all new tune sales from here on will need to be done on the X3, as again, components are no longer available to repair the XCal1 or add future years to them.
I have the missus Terry booked in for a tune on Friday with a new X-Cal2 as part of the deal.

Does the above quote mean that it can only be done on an X-Cal 3 given the fact it's a new tune or does it just apply to X-cal 1 upgrades?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #47
EGOXRT

This needs clarifying, the wording is very misleading.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #48
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGOXRT
This needs clarifying, the wording is very misleading.
Seems simple to me, old boxes are unavailable and any new purchases will have to be the x3 box..other than that business as usual.

Good news for all.

some look for a conspiracy theory under every rock..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

First off, to all those getting on here and criticising those that have not had a chance yet to reply, but were those "beating their chests" (I was vocal so I guess I am one) the other day, lighten up. It is a work day, some are at work others such as myself were doing other things. Yesterday I had a day off in my roster which I spent a lot of it travelling to my tuner (not just down the road) in order to discuss this matter. Something I would not have had to do if it had not happened. Today I have spent the morning mountain biking before I sleep for work tonight, I do have a life away from the forums (although it may not appear so over the last couple of days). I mean it has only been 2 1/2 hours since the initial post, give us a break.

Anyway, the real reason I am here. Congratulations to Rob and the team from Herrods for all your hard work getting this fine result, I imagine it was not easy. Also a big thanks to all the other tuners that have taken up the issue with SCT, Forum admin and mods (for providing the communication medium and the crazy workload you had keeping it in order) and all those that put in constructive feedback and suggested solutions from an end user perspective, a job well done and a pleasing result, I am stoked.

Additionally a big thanks to Charlie and the rest of the team at SCT for their consideration. It is a pity the event of the last day had to occur but these guys showed us they can swallow a bit of pride and negotiate a good outcome for all, I respect that.

For me, this all means I can tune my ute now that the warranty is finally over and I do not have to find another $1000. In the near future I do know I will have to upgrade and when that happens I will look at all options (as I would have done before all this happened), but most importantly I will consider SCT again (without prejudice) as I trust we will never see this situation again.

May I suggest that those that have specific questions about how this all effects you, speak to your chosen tuner as they will be all too happy to give you the good oil on it specific to your case.

All in all, thanks everyone, an outstanding result.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #50
EGOXRT

It states "tune sales" not flash box sales. It is far from clear just as the entire situation was. I have an X1 that is blank and never had use, purchased it 2 years ago, what is this going to be considered as? The custom tunes that will be done are in my eyes, NEW as is the box, get my point.

The deceptive manner in which all that has unfolded warrants clarifying of all wording in my eyes.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #51
EGOXRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Seems simple to me, old boxes are unavailable and any new purchases will have to be the x3 box..other than that business as usual.

Good news for all.

some look for a conspiracy theory under every rock..
Do you ever read contracts!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #52
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
It states "tune sales" not flash box sales. It is far from clear just as the entire situation was. I have an X1 that is blank and never had use, purchased it 2 years ago, what is this going to be considered as? The custom tunes that will be done are in my eyes, NEW as is the box, get my point.

The deceptive manner in which all that has unfolded warrants clarifying of all wording in my eyes.
Your X CAL 1 is ok to use if you already have one...

Should you be a new customer wanting an edit and you never purchased a x cal 1, then you will need to buy an X CAL 3 if you want to be edit tuned...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 03-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #53
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

I can see your confusion, I would talk to your tuner for clarification. I am sure they were not expecting people to have a blank box for two years when they came up with a solution (most of us can't get the tune quick enough). Individual cases require individual solutions.

Aah, forget it. Spoolman came in with an answer while I was typing, he is too quick for me. Delete if you want thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #54
EGOXRT

Thanks Spoolman. No offence, I think Rod should put his seal of approval on this, that way there will be no confusion in the matter.
We wouldn't want to have the distributor turn around and say, we didn't mention that!
Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #55
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FFS we can use our boxes in the manner they were advertised we have lost nothing . you still want to rant over the SCT involvment even when ( un named ) caused this by pirating the boxes to be used in a way they were not meant to be no blame has been leveled at ( un named) . SCT and Herrods have done a great job sorting this out so please leave them alone and build a bridge. if you keep up the rants this thread will be closed 2 and you will receive a holiday ( laminge has threatened 6 months ) I've had enough of you whingers with nothing better to do than complain ( maybe the forum will be a better place when you get yourself banned)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 03-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #56
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:

Your picking the bones out of it for no reason, the box is the tune, they are sold with a tune already in them.

Your x1 can also be custom tuned from now and into the furure, if you have more specific questions its best to get in touch with your tuner, or sct/herrod directly..
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #57
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Charlie, though most will not agree, your actions were fully warranted in my eyes, and have every right to protect your product and eliminate people that would cause SCT (and ultimately US, the consumer) immoral and/or unlawful harm.

I had full faith in a successful outcome, and to be honest, you have exceeded my expectations with the full and continued support of Xcal1, beyond that which you even offer your home country. WELL DONE

Rob Herrod, your calmness in the "brokerage" of this outcome deserves commendation and you have gained my respect.

To the (and I use the term loosley) "sooks" out there, don't for a minute think that rubbish talk of legal action and boycotting of products had any bearing on this, it was always going to be a winner, and just needed some level-headed diplomats involved. You have got more than you could have, and if this still does not make you happy, you need a life rethink......

Hell, even members of the Cleveland Mafia think clearer that most..... :

Daniel
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #58
GT-0099

Great news, thanks to Rob from Herrod and Charlie from SCT for sorting this issue out and a big hand to the moderators and admin who kept the other threads at a respectable level.
cheers
luke
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #59
03XR6T
Banned

Quote:
Put it this way after this will you advise people to buy a flashtuner other than Herrod/SCT one - I think not
I wouldn't recommend SCT to anyone after this. I have a group buy about to go ahead on XCAL3's atm as i was able to secure a few at a reasonable price. This was only started to accomodate the people that were going to be stuck with no box seeing as SCT decided to stop them being used. After they are gone i will have no more dealings with SCT products

Quote:
the distributor that was tearing them has been completely hosed. SCT will continue on with Herrod, what will the other distributor do?
So what happens when Herrods 'supposedly' do the wrong thing by SCT & XCAL2/3's are threatened in the same way as XCAL1's are being at the moment? Will you lie down & cop it so easy then too??
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #60
EGOXRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
FFS we can use our boxes in the manner they were advertised we have lost nothing . you still want to rant over the SCT involvment even when ( un named ) caused this by pirating the boxes to be used in a way they were not meant to be no blame has been leveled at ( un named) . SCT and Herrods have done a great job sorting this out so please leave them alone and build a bridge. if you keep up the rants this thread will be closed 2 and you will receive a holiday ( laminge has threatened 6 months ) I've had enough of you whingers with nothing better to do than complain ( maybe the forum will be a better place when you get yourself banned)
Mate, why would you want to censor comsumer sentiment, is this not a public forum where things like this are up for discussion?

Ban me if you like, it will just make my point even clearer.
Closed Thread