Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
ute351
Starter Motor

Default Will it tow it???

Just after your thoughts on whether or not you guys think a '92 Tarago (petrol, with heavy duty tow bar) could pull a car trailer effectively. The trip is approximately 100kms on mainly flat roads, towing another Tarago minus its running gear. The Tarago's feel fairly gutsy for what they are...

We've pulled fully loaded box trailers before without any signs of stuggling, plus the van we're towing has no motor to save on weight a bit. I'm just not sure whether the car would have enough guts once loaded up, or whether it's heavy enough itself (so the trailer doesn't start pulling the tow car!).

What do you guys think? Has anyone towed under similar circumstances?

ute351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Bloke I know towed an XD with 351 on board over a longer distance with a trailer and also a VK from Melbourne to Sydney with a Torago petrol manual. The same Tarago has now got over 500,000ks on it and hasnt broken anything yet.
Should be okay. Will be very heavy on the juice, but over 100kms who cares.

Legallity though, well thats another thing entirely. Whether you can legally tow that much with your towbar should be a concern.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I highly doubt it.

92 Tarago has a 2.4l with just over 100kw that has to haul around 1660 kg.

Another Tarago plus trailer, even minus engine will not be under the 2 ton mark.

Seeing as their tow limit is 1600kg you legally cannot do what you ask. Sure it may feel like it can do it under the conditions you mention, but should something go wrong you will have a lot to answer for...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

it will tow it but will it stop it?not the best idea especially if you kill someone from lack of braking ect ect ect ect.i was cautioned at the gazzanats for towing my vh sle with a vu ss ute,out of the utes capabilities weight wise.i was real suprised to say the least as it was totally stock as well.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It appears that the tow cpacity is only 1000kg and 80kg ball weight. So no you shoud not tow. You will be over the capcity for the vehicle which will void all your insurance as well if something was to happen. A car trailer is normally around 500kgs odd anyway. but the ball weight also lets you down.

There should be a towing weight in the manual if you want to double check.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 07:28 AM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll be well over the towbar rating and the Gross combined mass of the vehicle.
Why risk no insurance for just a parts car?

Saw an old Toyota Commuter bus towing a Falcon wagon the other day, it looked very scary, really wish the authorities would crack down on such people.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post