Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Repco has bought Rare Spares.

"THE brand behind countless projects, parts and Street Machine feature cars has been sold.

Rare Spares has been purchased by GPC Asia Pacific, owners of automotive brands including Repco, Napa Auto Parts and Sparesbox. The move will see GPC complete the purchase of 100 per cent of Rare Spares shares by mid-year. The move won’t affect Rare Spares stores or staff but will enable customer access to Rare Spares parts though Repco’s national network, as well as quicker-to-market product development.

MORESurvivor - The Rare Spares Story – video
“There is only upside to this,” Rare Spares Managing Director, Lance Corby, told Street Machine. “You won’t really see a change in the Rare Spares brand at all. Rare Spares will still be Rare Spares. It will still be run by the team running it now, I will still be the general manager, and my support leadership team will still be in place. All of our staff will be retained at our Campbellfield head office, doing what we do best.”

Customers will still be able to shop at their local Rare Spares, including a recent new flagship store at Slacks Creek, Queensland, but will also be able to special order parts from Repco outlets. Corby, who started working at Rare Spares at its first store in Brunswick as a 19-year-old, is passionate about the brand remaining independent.

“The last thing I’d want is for our iconic national brand to be broken up and just absorbed into a large pool of stores without the expertise that we bring to market at the shopfront,” Corby said. “What we cater for in the marketplace that others don’t are the bits and pieces – the major parts – that cost a fair amount of money to tool-up and make, such as tail-light assemblies and full panels.

“Repco/GPC has a lot of tools that we can piggy-back off to help our development and supply faster to market – product sourcing, shipping and so on. There are so many synergies with the two companies working together.” https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/rare-spares-sold

Last edited by csv8; 15-05-2021 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Add www.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 12:54 AM   #2
xb74_black

Default Re: Repco has bought Rare Spares.

This is terrible news. I hate Repco and the **** service I used to receive from them.
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 05:07 AM   #3
Trevor 57
is now there

Repco is always my last resort, I drive past Repco to go to Supercheap - Bursons is always my first choice - the tradies spare parts provider, and they are the closest to my home

I have bought 2 products from Rare Spares and both have been ****

Repco and Rare Spares deserve deserve each other
Old 16-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Took the words from my mouth!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Repco is always my last resort, I drive past Repco to go to Supercheap - Bursons is always my first choice - the tradies spare parts provider, and they are the closest to my home

Spose I better start stocking up on X series parts now before they disappear for ever. Partcularly door handles.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
Trevor 57
is now there

An old panel beater mate of mine said the reason why they break is because the little bushes in hinges are the issue, they wear out and make the doors hard to open
Old 16-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #7
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
An old panel beater mate of mine said the reason why they break is because the little bushes in hinges are the issue, they wear out and make the doors hard to open

That's 100% correct.
I reckon I'd be a millionaire if I had a dollar for every one I've replaced.

The biggest problem was customers wouldn't believe you and think you were just trying to get more money out of them.

They'd come back and complain we'd done something wrong when they broke again.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Yes, watched this blokes interesting vid on repairing the locking mech so as not to keep replacing the handles.
Noticed the other day there's a hairline crack on the passenger door handle atm, lucky I only have 2 doors and not 4.

Old 16-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Repco needs to do something with the website search function...

Search 'engine flush'... and you get... "Showing 1 - 20 of 6417 products"

Autobarn has the same problem. Search returns trailer hitch locks and steering bushes...

They also both have an issue with listing results based on price. Makes me not bother with their online platform.

Supercheap at least has that simple function working properly.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Watch what will happen - GPCs accountants will get involved and they'll cull the slow moving product lines at Rare Spares.

Which is everything hence the name 'Rare Spares'

It doesn't make sense at all to bring Rare Spares under the fold of GPC Asia Pacific, they just acquired a competitor and that's probably about it.

Both BAPCOR (Burson) and GPC Asia Pacific are buying all the independent auto parts companies in Australia and bringing them into their corporate group.

Look at their websites and look at all the auto suppliers they own in Australia, there's hardly anyone left who is outside these two groups - it's becoming like Woolies Safeway and Coles

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-05-2021 at 10:54 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 11:44 AM   #11
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Rare spares are more than a “rare” spares company, they make a large range of fast moving parts like oil filters and bulk heater hose under the “RSP” name. Been supplying Autobarn for years. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Rare spares are more than a “rare” spares company, they make a large range of fast moving parts like oil filters and bulk heater hose under the “RSP” name. Been supplying Autobarn for years. Cheers MD
Watch how quickly that stops as GPC Asia Pacific isn't interested in supplying and or purchasing from their major competitor BAPCOR

There was a big spat that happened there recently on one of their product lines being sourced from them.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-05-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 16-05-2021, 12:30 PM   #13
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah,the reason is because the hinges wear and let the door sag.People then use the handle to lift the door to,open.If the hinges are adjusted properly the door unlocks easily and handles don’t get broken.I also used to weld a piece of steel between the 2 ends of the handle to strenthen them and help spread the load
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #14
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

So Rare spares stores will now be staffed with pimply faced teenagers that have no clue what you are talking about as well, let alone know what a Ford or Holden is without the aid of a computer.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #15
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
So Rare spares stores will now be staffed with pimply faced teenagers that have no clue what you are talking about as well, let alone know what a Ford or Holden is without the aid of a computer.

6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I have to say my local Repco stores (Bibra Lake and Cockburn Central) have always been fairly knowledgeable and helpful but I gather they are a franchise based operation and accordingly those things will vary with the franchisee. It will make it hard for the few Rare Spares stores to survive but it will be nice to have more and closer outlets (only Osborne Park and Bentley stores in Perth metro). Used to buy parts for my old EH Panel Van from them but since I passed that onto my nephew I rarely use them now.
Old 16-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
They made the decision a while back to invest more in cataloguing and pay less on wages - so what they do is no more ex auto tradies in parts roles anymore and more pimply faced kids on Maccas money who go 'year make and model' and read from the screen - SCA was the first that went down this path but Repco is following big time, I deal with SCA/Repco/Burson and their other lesser known brands on a daily basis.

Even dealerships doing the same thing - you can see it in one of the latest MCM clips where they try buy genuine parts from a Honda dealership but the guy won't do anything without a VIN.

If the search tool they use won't do anything without a VIN then you go to carsales, find a car for sale that your customer is chasing parts for, use the rego search function of your local road authority to get the VIN and then use that to satisfy the computer but Mr Honda spare parts guy obviously can't think outside the box

The whole industry is ****ed, its being consolidated between two huge corporate groups, its also losing all its experienced people who are being replaced with pimply teenage kids which is causing downward pressure on wages, I'm trying to get out.

The other side of it that you might not see from a consumer perspective is the companies supplying these monsters end up with dealing an oligopsony which is a whole other issue.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 16-05-2021 at 02:33 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #18
FroudeyBrand

Quote:

Agreed when Supercheap have a AUII V8 Serp Belt from $36 to $65 depending on brand,
Autobarn has one for $40
and Repco has one on the shelf for $83 (with Ignition member stuff applied)
(yet to check Bursons or Regional Auto Supplies as it's Sunday)
Like seriously they are the name sake of the V8 Supercars you'd think they would lower prices.

The only thing i've brought from Repco was a garage creeper for $26 they are the last resort 100%
FroudeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #19
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They made the decision a while back to invest more in cataloguing and pay less on wages - so what they do is no more ex auto tradies in parts roles anymore and more pimply faced kids on Maccas money who go 'year make and model' and read from the screen - SCA was the first that went down this path but Repco is following big time, I deal with SCA/Repco/Burson and their other lesser known brands on a daily basis.

Even dealerships doing the same thing - you can see it in one of the latest MCM clips where they try buy genuine parts from a Honda dealership but the guy won't do anything without a VIN.

If the search tool they use won't do anything without a VIN then you go to carsales, find a car for sale that your customer is chasing parts for, use the rego search function of your local road authority to get the VIN and then use that to satisfy the computer but Mr Honda spare parts guy obviously can't think outside the box

The whole industry is ****ed, its losing all its experienced people, I'm trying to get out.
It gets worse if you have a model in a crossover year. If its not on the shelf and you have to ask the parts desk, they ask me for my rego plate. It comes up as 2008 ford falc. Its a 2008 bf fairmont ghia. Then the kid says fg? I say bf. Then theres the life wasting conversation as the system says fg, but i know my car is a bf. So then it turns into look up 2007 ford falcon. Then it turns into am i sure. Then it eventually turns into me purchasing the correct part for my car thats not an fg. Im sure when the time comes for parts my brother will have the same issue with his 2002 au. Theyle probably say ba?
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 02:38 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
It gets worse if you have a model in a crossover year. If its not on the shelf and you have to ask the parts desk, they ask me for my rego plate. It comes up as 2008 ford falc. Its a 2008 bf fairmont ghia. Then the kid says fg? I say bf. Then theres the life wasting conversation as the system says fg, but i know my car is a bf. So then it turns into look up 2007 ford falcon. Then it turns into am i sure. Then it eventually turns into me purchasing the correct part for my car thats not an fg. Im sure when the time comes for parts my brother will have the same issue with his 2002 au. Theyle probably say ba?
The easiest way to manage them is do the research before you get to the store and just give them part numbers from the companies products they distribute.

Some places have a vehicle application catalogue on their website which will list their part number for part for a specific car - if Repco/Burson etc is the distributor of their product you can just go into the branch and say to the kid behind the counter - price and availability on part number XYZ from supplier ABC and they'll tap away on the computer and tell you, or they will call ABC and go 'price and availability on part number XYZ' in front of you

There's a good chance that the average person on AFF knows more about their own car than either the salesman who sold them new or the kid behind the counter at a corporate parts monster.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 02:51 PM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Search 'engine flush'... and you get... "Showing 1 - 20 of 6417 products"
You're probably getting a query for "engine" and for "flush"

Try using quotes for the full term "engine flush"
or even just flush
Old 16-05-2021, 02:58 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
You're probably getting a query for "engine" and for "flush"

Try using quotes for the full term "engine flush"
or even just flush
Irrelevant, my thoughts are their search engine looks at the item description not only the product name.

If Supercheap can get it right so can Repco. It shouldn't be that hard.

Oh... Repco sells 6417 items of "engine flush".

And 6832 items for just flush - the first being a roof rack of course.

As I said... an obvious glitch.

Old 16-05-2021, 03:06 PM   #23
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
It gets worse if you have a model in a crossover year.
I get a chuckle out of them all whenever they tell me, Ford never made an XF in 1993. Even after informing them its a panel van. No that will be a XG.

Never been back to Repco after they burned me with an expensive clutch and pressure plate sale to suit the wrong Ford Trader (with a petrol engine) which was never sold here.
I had bought it as a spare for later use. 2 Years down the track when it was time to use it, WTF it doesn't fit.
Of course this was after the new ownership and they wouldn't honour changing the part after this time even considering I had the (faded) receipt and they had the right part number on the wrong parts box.

Old 16-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #24
Kicking back

Knowing what i want/part numbers is always what i do, but still the 1st question is rego. My local repco, whipst they like to charge, one lady behind the parts desk has been there for 20 odd years but is a proper parts interpreter. So actually interprets parts from factory part numbers to aftermarket options, not just stare blankly if nothing comes up on the screen. Looks in the books and stuff, as in for example, if a factory motorcraft oil filter has part number xyz, but the ryco book has its own part number of abc. Coming from a background of being an electrician, over the years at wholesalers, good parts interpreters are getting harder to find. So order a discontinued part and get flailing arms in the air isnt good enough. Getting a viable option for a replacement, thats the service they should be getting paid to do, thats exactly what they should be getting paid to do. A parts interpreter should be able to give options greater then the parts number.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 03:12 PM   #25
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"the first being a roof rack of course"
Haha, you've got to wonder.
Probably in the description, says it sits flush on the roof or something stupid like that.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Probably in the description, says it sits flush on the roof or something stupid like that.
Bingo...

This user likes this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #27
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Bunnings website isn't much better. imo.

3 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #28
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I get a chuckle out of them all whenever they tell me, Ford never made an XF in 1993. Even after informing them its a panel van. No that will be a XG.

Never been back to Repco after they burned me with an expensive clutch and pressure plate sale to suit the wrong Ford Trader (with a petrol engine) which was never sold here.
I had bought it as a spare for later use. 2 Years down the track when it was time to use it, WTF it doesn't fit.
Of course this was after the new ownership and they wouldn't honour changing the part after this time even considering I had the (faded) receipt and they had the right part number on the wrong parts box.
That sounds like entertainment value buying an air filter for the xf.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

The Repco in Benella has a lady whose been in the game for a long time, she knows her stuff.

If she's still around I haven't spoken to her for a while now.

The regional Repco branches tend to have that old bloke (or lass) whose been around the traps for decades compared to the suburban branches where it's the army of pimply faced children.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #30
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Rip
Every
Poor
C#$t
Off
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: