Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should Ford give the Falcon I4T another name or appearance?
Nope, I like having a 4Cyl Falcon 73 55.30%
Change the name but let them look the same 22 16.67%
Change the name and the look - and the market segment too? 37 28.03%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Sure. So it's all in the brand. Or is it that the Turbo I6 doesn't have Twin Independent VCT?

All of this Ecoboost stuff sure makes you wonder how much the I6 played in the decision making process.

Lukeyson
All BF on engines have di-VCT.

I think they are saying its the first use in an Ecoboost application because the V6 Ecoboost engine doesn't have VCT on the exhaust cam, its only on the intake cam.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #92
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

After looking at those dyno sheets, this engine might actually be a useful 4 pot. I reckon it won't be long after it's release that it will develop a cult-style following. They are doing wonderful things with turbos nowdays and this just goes to prove it.

A 5.4L Boss decked out with this technology would wipe the floor with anything currently on offer from the General, aside from maybe some sort of big block ridiculousness.

Now they just need to hire some marketing guys that wouldn't have trouble selling ice cream in a heat wave and FoMoCo Oz can have a holiday in the middle of a financial crisis.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #93
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
A 5.4L Boss decked out with this technology would wipe the floor with anything currently on offer from the General
Or a 5L Coyote ;)
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM   #94
Wally
XP Coupe

I'd be interested to see what the acceleration times will be in a Falcon, because my experience with small engines with high boost is that the resultant torque increase requires a heavier flywheel for smooth ride. A 4 pot has an inherently higher torque fluctuation than a six (144%) or eight (193%) and flywheel mass is directly proportional to it and engine torque/power.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #95
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
: Look at that, someone just got put in there place!
what car is the engine installed in?? none?
in a 1700kg car it could be a different story no?
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #96
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
what car is the engine installed in?? none?
in a 1700kg car it could be a different story no?
No matter what car the engines in, it will still make more torque than that 3.0 V6.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #97
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I don't think they need to change the name at all. An example that has done quite well for itself over the years is The Escape, Available in a 3lt V6 or a 2.4Lt 4 cyl, both have done quite well and did not create confusion.
Old 14-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #98
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Ohio XB has just shown me an internal magazine article from Ford that is quite brief, but mentions that the I4 would be built in Australia. He posted a thread about it but for some reason that thread was closed quick smart.

I know there a lot of articles from journalists that state the I4T will be imported. But is there anything from the Ford press releases that indicate where the I4T will be built?

We've been here questioning the $230M, and theorised that it might be sheet metal changes. I mean - $230M for 3 engine fittings? We had A V8/I6 VCT/I6T/LPG developed along with SWB/LWB/Ute/Wagon during the BA for $500M. How can just fitting 3 engines cost half that?

But if that money was going into engine plant developments for building the I4T locally, that would make me stand up and pay attention.

Lukeyson