Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Daniel B

Default AU V8 - So what's all this talk about setting the TPS

Hey Guys, car was idling a bit high for my liking, about 800-850rpm, accelerator was very sensitive off idle and I read in one of the posts that setting the idle correctly can help with this issue.
So ran through the procedure, disconnecting battery to reset ECU, disconnect ISC, start engine, set idle to 600rpm, turn off engine, plug ISC back in, restart car, idle comes up to about 650rpm, perfect.
Onto the next step, check voltage on TPS, which apparently should be under 1.0V, mine is at 1.03, so not too far off, but I thought may as well do it to recommended specs, loosen screws on TPS only to find that it is non-adjustable.
So just wandering, has anyone else found that the holes are not elongated for adjustment?
Also I read a post saying that up to 1.2V is within range for idle, so whats the deal, is it 1.0V or 1.2V? Was the adjustable TPS 1.0V limit for EA-EF and doesnt pertain to AU? Any ideas or help?

Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
Daniel B

Default Re: AU V8 - So what's all this talk about setting the TPS

Hmmm, interesting read:
http://www.eectuning.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=502
Old 14-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Old 14-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Daniel B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Hey Mr Hardware, any chance you have a larger version of that, my glasses aren't that good. :-P
Old 14-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

It's a joke from the movie 'Office Space'. It has nothing to do with falcons except for the acronym TPS - but here's the full size one anyway
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Tps_report.png
Old 14-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #6
Daniel B

Ha Ha, actually I think its quite appropriate after spending hours trying to find info only to be back at square one.
Old 14-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can elongate the holes yourself. Drill them out slightly and carefully.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
Daniel B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO247
You can elongate the holes yourself. Drill them out slightly and carefully.
Yeah I realise that, but after doing some research i'm starting to wonder if it is actually necessary. I guess the question also is why would Ford change from an adjustable TPS to a non adjustable TPS if it is critical to set it up correctly.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

The Ford AU eec has automatic TPS calibration.

Basically it measures the lowest read TPS reading, and calls it TP ratch, and uses this as your idle TPS voltage.

Playing around with the TPS will change results, especially if you increase the TPS voltage, but reset the eec, and it'll all be the same again

TPS voltage of 1volt is for US car's, not australian.

As a rule of thumb the TPS should be within 1.2volts max and 0.7volts minimum.
Old 14-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #10
Daniel B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 ED

Basically it measures the lowest read TPS reading, and calls it TP ratch, and uses this as your idle TPS voltage.

Playing around with the TPS will change results, especially if you increase the TPS voltage, but reset the eec, and it'll all be the same again

Thanks mate, you're a champion, it's been doing my head in trying to sort through the information.

Just a couple of quick q's, If it's for US car's only why do so many people here in Aus talk about adjusting their TPS'.

I also noticed in that link I posted that it mentions early EECV's didn't have this automatic adjustment, which had me wondering with my car being a series 1 if it may have one of these "early" type.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Old 14-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel B
Thanks mate, you're a champion, it's been doing my head in trying to sort through the information.

Just a couple of quick q's, If it's for US car's only why do so many people here in Aus talk about adjusting their TPS'.

I also noticed in that link I posted that it mentions early EECV's didn't have this automatic adjustment, which had me wondering with my car being a series 1 if it may have one of these "early" type.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Hey Dan, felt I should comment here. I mucked around with the original ford TPS elongating the holes and making sure it was under 1v at idle. It never made a difference and felt exactly the same. That TPS died about 12 months ago when i was having high idle problems.

Replaced it with another TPS which is on the car at the moment, which reads about 1.15v at idle and it does not run any better/worse than what the one with elongated holes did when it was under 1v and working properly.

The explanation that 5.0 ED has stated makes perfect sense and I wouldn't bother mucking around with it. Was a complete waste of time for me with no results. I think the E-Series ECU's are different and this is why the E-Series guys keep an eye on the TPS voltage.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 ED

Good to know, and something I wasn't aware of.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. 

Yeah you cant relate everything US about EEC's to aussie EEC's, even E series and EEC IV the TPS setting is set with a ratch setting and therefore no adjustment required.

However i will point out that E series with the seperate transmission computer, then the transmission computer does require a more limited voltage adjustment at idle, at which case its 0.8volts not 1v.