Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
harveyr

Default ENGINE OIL for LW Focus Diesel Sport

My new diesel Focus had it's 3,000km check up, and I asked the dealer to change the oil & filter. He has used Castrol Magnatec 5W30 SLXOE. The Castrol website recommends Magantec Professional A5 5W30. So far the dealer hasn't responded to my request for an explanation.

Is there an oil guru out there who would know what the effect of using the non-recommended oil would be?

Also neither of these oils is available on the reatil market, so what are we supposed to use to top up the engine oil (not that the level has gone down at all)?

harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ENGINE OIL for LW Focus Diesel Sport

I would worry a bit with a particulate filter if they are not using low phosphate oil especially made for diesels. Especially not go the full 15,000 klm service interval on the oil.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
harveyr

Does the LW Diesel have a diesel particulate filter (DPF)?
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's designed for VW diesels: http://www.aral.de/assets/bp_interne...slx_oe_pds.pdf You might like to ask your Ford dealer why they are using an oil which doesn't appear to meet Ford specs.

But this is where it gets interesting. I looked into this last year when I bought some oil to do a 3,000 km oil change on my Mondeo TDCi. It appears that Magnatec A5 is not a true low SAPS oil and Castrol Edge 5W/30 may be a better choice. In fact, the best oil is probably Total Ineo ECS which is the only oil that Peugeot and Citreon recommend for their diesels (the Ford 4 cylinder diesels are actually Peugeot engines).

If you need to top up the oil, I'm sure that a Ford dealer will happily do that for you at a suitably outrageous price! Just check what they use...
Old 31-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
REDDYZ

Castrol Edge 5W/30 is no longer available. It is replaced by Castrol Edge Titanium 5W/30 which is clearly not recommended for Diesels with particulate filters.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #6
irs

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyr
Does the LW Diesel have a diesel particulate filter (DPF)?
Yes, it does have a particulate filter. Need to give the car a good run every now and then to clean the filter
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
pugdriver
Starter Motor

the Castrol magnatec slx oe IS a low saps oil according to the data sheet which NZ XR6 posted above. So it should be ok for the DPF.

As stated above, Peugeot (who make these Focus diesel engines) only recommend Total Quartz INEO ECS oil. I use it on my Pug 307 and is is a really good oil.

There are other oils that should be suitable made by Nulon, Shell (Helix Ultra Extra), and others, but Peugeot state that the engine is specifically designed to use the Total INEO ECS oil and it is the only recommended oil for these engines.

It can be hard work getting even Peugeot dealers to use the right oil in diesel Pugs, so I sympathize with trying to get Ford dealers to use it.

The oil specification ACEA C2 and ACEA C3 relate to low SAPS, and thus the suitability for diesel particulate filters. If an oil isn't listed as complying with C2 or C3 then it isn't OK for DPFs.
pugdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #8
REDDYZ

Ford dealers..?? forget it.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
Castrol Edge 5W/30 is no longer available. It is replaced by Castrol Edge Titanium 5W/30 which is clearly not recommended for Diesels with particulate filters.
Titanium in engine oils? Intelligent molecules? Castrol seem to be more and more driven by marketing these days.

There is a Magnetic C2 5W-30 which meets (yes, you guessed it) ACEA C2 and the Peugeot diesel oil specs.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
REDDYZ

haha.. Titanium is just a name they choose to represent its quality, nothing more than that. Castrol Edge sport was good and compatible with lot of petrol and diesel engines. But this Titanium doesn't meet lot of manufacturers specs and has too much phosphorus which is not good for particulate filters.

All good things has to come to an end.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Nolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by irs
Yes, it does have a particulate filter. Need to give the car a good run every now and then to clean the filter
Actually, the car seems to know when it needs to give the DPF a burnout and it will do it by itself.

I removed the rear muffler for a slightly sportier exhaust note and at first I wondered why there was a rear muffler at all because the car was both quiet yet sporty and it really does have a great exhaust note without the rear muffler.

ie until the DPF undergoes it's regen. From what I've read, the car will dump diesel into the DPF to facilitate the burn off of the gunk it's been collecting. As a result the exhaust note is alot deeper and louder. Typically last about 5-7min.

If you've ever noticed that your inst fuel usage is up well above the usal idle of 0.5-0.7 l/h it's because its probably undergoing a dpf regen.
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
rand0mn00b

can't speak much for the diesel engine but when I used the Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 in my petrol focus (3 bottles over 3 changes @ 7,500KM intervals) the engine was quite noisy and power delivery was not very smooth

this is not in an absolute sense, as the engine never seemed to have anything wrong it. it was only after i changed to a oil and the noise was gone and the power delivery right from down low improved that I came to this realisation

this is when I changed to Elf Excellium 5w30 - I used this for 5 changes @ 7,500KM intervals. 2 weeks ago I changed to Liqui Moly LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL 5w30 and so far my engine has also been quiet and with smooth power delivery. it is not noticeably different but it is still early days...

moral of the story: engine makes a difference

according to: http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/motor-oil/ the TOP TEC 4200 | 5W-30 meets ACEA C2 & C3-04 (not sure if that's the same as C3)
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
can't speak much for the diesel engine but when I used the Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 in my petrol focus (3 bottles over 3 changes @ 7,500KM intervals) the engine was quite noisy and power delivery was not very smooth

this is not in an absolute sense, as the engine never seemed to have anything wrong it. it was only after i changed to a oil and the noise was gone and the power delivery right from down low improved that I came to this realisation

this is when I changed to Elf Excellium 5w30 - I used this for 5 changes @ 7,500KM intervals. 2 weeks ago I changed to Liqui Moly LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL 5w30 and so far my engine has also been quiet and with smooth power delivery. it is not noticeably different but it is still early days...

moral of the story: engine makes a difference

according to: http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/products/motor-oil/ the TOP TEC 4200 | 5W-30 meets ACEA C2 & C3-04 (not sure if that's the same as C3)
Total and Elf are the same company...
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
rand0mn00b

that might explain why it's near impossible for me to find any Elf Excellium 5w30 these days! (hence the recent switch to liqui moly)

confusing product names though! either way, aside from the Quartz Ineo ECS which looks to be made for Citreon/Peugeot diesel engines, either of the other 2 5w30s on this page look like they were made specifically for Ford's petrol engines such as in the Focus: http://www.total-fuel-economy-lubric.../fe-lubricants
Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
that might explain why it's near impossible for me to find any Elf Excellium 5w30 these days! (hence the recent switch to liqui moly)

confusing product names though! either way, aside from the Quartz Ineo ECS which looks to be made for Citreon/Peugeot diesel engines, either of the other 2 5w30s on this page look like they were made specifically for Ford's petrol engines such as in the Focus: http://www.total-fuel-economy-lubric.../fe-lubricants
I had some discussion with the NZ supplier about the correct oil, as he thought the Quartz 9000 was the one for Fords. But after checking, he came back and said the Quartz Ineo was better for diesels. I don't know which of the 2 Ford spec oils would be the best, but Quartz 9000 was recommended for Ford engines.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
rand0mn00b

yes the Ineo ECS is better for Diesel engines and if Ford uses a Citreon/Pug engine as anecdotal evidence suggests then that would be the go (even if not it meets the relevant ACEA specs)

judging by the fact that their product names are so similar and that the links to "Download the product's technical sheet" on their respective pages links you to the exact same PDF file (for QUARTZ 9000 FUTURE NFC 5W-30) I would assume they are in the process of adjusting the naming of their product line that's all
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Titanium in engine oils? Intelligent molecules? Castrol seem to be more and more driven by marketing these days.
My friend said that in the U.S. where advertising rules are stricter, Castrol cannot use Magnatec tag nor advertise that their oils adhere to the engines like a magnet because they cannot prove it in scientific trials.
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Chicka

Quote:
My new diesel Focus had it's 3,000km check up, and I asked the dealer to change the oil & filter. He has used Castrol Magnatec 5W30 SLXOE. The Castrol website recommends Magantec Professional A5 5W30. So far the dealer hasn't responded to my request for an explanation.

Is there an oil guru out there who would know what the effect of using the non-recommended oil would be?

Also neither of these oils is available on the reatil market, so what are we supposed to use to top up the engine oil (not that the level has gone down at all)?
Gooday There, hope this will help...I have a 2007 TDCI Focus,and
have spent some time examining the engine oils available...The Magnetec A5 5W-30 is, I believe ,only available in 20 Litre containers at the moment.I have chosen to use the German Liqui-Moly Oil 5w-30 which totally complies with the Ford Standard Requirement....Check out the website !!! and cheers....
www.liqui-moly.com.au/
Regards Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

diesels take acea C3 if fitted with DPF..5W30 SLXOE is perfectly fine..
A1~A5/B1~B3 are normally reseved for petrol or diesel "without" a DPF.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mainlube 175 Synthetic Race Oil SAE 10w60 & 0w40 is good for diesels with particulate exhaust filter.

Running in my wife's 2011 Cruze TDI (and many others) with no worries at all.

Cheers

Steve
Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au
Mainlube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #21
Alpha_omega
Starter Motor

I have spoken to liquid moly about getting the Ford spec "Ford WSS-M2C 913-C" oil which they recommend for the LW Focus.

According to them they are now started importing Leichtlauf Special F 5W-30, which has that specific compatibility.

The oil is currently available through this website
https://thecarcarestore.com.au/item_....php?code=3853

and hopefully soon from your local auto store.
Alpha_omega is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

This is what I'm using in my LV TDCI Focus:

https://thecarcarestore.com.au/item_....php?code=2745

I don't think it has a DPF though.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
elgreko

I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 5w30 never have to touch it service to service, been using it since new have done 80kms no probs!!