Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Exclamation Insurance - best and fairest

G'day,

I'm looking to get fully comprehensive insurance on the EF. Within the next few months it will be super-lowered (50mm), get extractors, rims, it has a fairly expensive audio system and fitted alarm.

I was thinking RACQ, but I've heard ppl have had trouble when they try and mod thier car? (e.g. lowering more than 1 inch).

What insurer do you use and what's good/bad about them?

Basically, like anyone, I'm looking for insurance that lets me mod my car (as mentioned above), reasonable price, and good service (read: good history of paying up no worries).

Cheers!

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #2
Pik0

i would try just cars, only one that allows heavily modified cars...
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its only if u got a V8 that most insurance companies will break ur balls. a 6 cyclinder should b fine. but be carefull. ask wat mods ur allowed to have like, how low, how wide can ur wheels be before u insure it!. yeah ive heard good things bout just cars aswell. could also try shannons aswell.

http://www.justcarinsurance.com.au/

http://www.shannons.com.au
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I'm through RACQ, at first they wouldn't let me get it insured through them (too low), which I thought it was too and got it raised and then they let me. If you are going to lower it that much, go through someone else, like Just Cars or Shannons.
Old 26-04-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Yeah I was having a look at Just cars or Shannons... being primarily for modified and performance and classic cars, would you say they are more expensive??

I guess as soon as you start modding your car, you just have to bite the bullet and fork out for whatever you can get :(

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
Old 26-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #6
Ken Oath
Starter Motor

I have just recently gone through some insurance troubles with my AU. NRMA wouldnt touch it after I lowered it with super low King Springs.

Car is a Forte, with 18's and suspension. No other mods. I am 27 and live in the country.

I couldn't get any other insurance company to cover it. I even went to a insurance broker and they had no luck.

I then tried Shannons. They wouldn't touch it, as it is not a special or unique car. They told me to try Just cars. They were to expensive at $1,200!!!

Last year NRMA charged me $450.

After talking to a mate who has a heavily modded XR6T, he told me to try GIO.

No problem they say. Mods are fine. Premium went to $900, as I hit a Roo last year, and had to tell them about it.

So, that is my advice. Try GIO. They even do pay by the month.
Ken Oath is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out GIO for sure.

I just did an online quote with Justcars and explained the mods I want in near future Plans for the EF.

I have a completely clean history. No speeding fines no parking tickets, no accidents. I'm 21 and driving since 17.

The quotes I get should be a good guide for other people interested so I'll post the results here.

I should add, I'm looking for fully comprehensive cover.

Sound System:

Last edited by MrQuan; 26-04-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 26-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm insured with Shannons and have disclosed ALL the mods on my car, a previous no blame claim (long story) and a previous speeding fine which I still have demerits for.
I expected to hear a quote around $1500-$2000 and nearly fell over when they told me it'll be $625/annum. $52 a month, direct debit. Can't get much fairer than that!
I'm also Rating 1 which helps.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT

Last edited by fairmont1998; 26-04-2005 at 06:41 PM.
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How old are you fairmont?
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

30 years old.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

This thread is kinda relevant to me as im currently hunting round for the best deal to insure the Focus.

Just did Just Cars - $2k. Pathetic. Guess who wont ever be getting my business. And thats for a damn CL, id hate to see what they charge for an ST170.

NRMA are ****ing me off as they have issues with 17" wheels.

The cheapest i have found so far is through a company called Insurers Hotline, from what i can tell the Insurance itself is underwritten through a company called Budget Insurance. They seem relatively unknown so i am wary of putting any money into them, does anyone have any experience with these guys?

Aliianz and QBE declined to insure it, as did CommBank (which is effectively Allianz anyway).
Old 26-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
MrQuan
Social Disaster

JustCars gave me this online quote
Note: this policy is for NO mods (I haven't begun modding yet). and they also wouldn't insure my car audio :( I wanted $3k cover for the audio.
Also, I've never had any accidents or dealings with the cops and they wouldn't give me a Rating 1 no claim bonus - does anyone know why?

JUST CAR INSURANCE

Premium Amount $781

Policy Type COMPREHENSIVE
Vehicle Use PRIVATE
Quote Valid to 10/05/2005
Vehicle Purchase Price $5,000
Amount Covered $5,000
Vehicle Purchase Date APR 2005
Existing Vehicle Damage NO
Privately Imported Vehicle NO
Vehicle under Finance NO
Postcode of Insured Address 4###

Your Car
1995 FORD FALCON GLI EF F/INJ 4D SEDAN 6 CYL AUTO
Amount Covered $5,000
The amount covered includes all non-standard accessories and modifications noted on this policy.

Insurance based on following Driver Details
DATE OF BIRTH ##/##/1983
SEX Male
YEARS OF INSURANCE 1
NCB%/RATING 40% NCB/RATING 3

DRIVER HISTORY IN LAST 3 YEARS
Licence suspensions/cancellations/disqualifications 0
Theft claims 0
Accidents/claims where driver was responsible or the person responsible could not be identified (including fire, hail and windscreen claims) 0

In the last 10 years, have you or any person ordinarily driving this car, been charged with or convicted of theft, arson or fraud? NO

Non-standard Modifications
You advised us there are no modifications on the vehicle.

Non-standard Accessories
TINTED WINDOWS

Excesses
STANDARD $400

Plus Driver Excesses
DRIVERS UNDER 22 $400
DRIVERS 22 AND UNDER 25 $300

The excess is the amount you have to pay towards each claim.

Endorsements
• Please note that the MUSIC SYSTEM fitted to your car is excluded from cover.

Sound System:
Old 26-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #13
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mr Quan,
I work in insurance, I can pretty much gaurantee you will pay lots more if you want to put a $3000 stereo into a $5000 car. When you consider most the stereo is worth more than half the value of the car your insurance will sky rocket due to making it more likley that the car will be broken into or stolen for the stereo alone. Take my advice on this one mod if anything, keep your stereo to value to under $1000.
And to be perfectly honest (my own opinion here now not an insurance opinion) a $1000 stero verses a $5000 stereo will be just as loud and clarified.

Last edited by Yaw; 26-04-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 07:23 PM   #14
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
This thread is kinda relevant to me as im currently hunting round for the best deal to insure the Focus.

Just did Just Cars - $2k. Pathetic. Guess who wont ever be getting my business. And thats for a damn CL, id hate to see what they charge for an ST170.

NRMA are ****ing me off as they have issues with 17" wheels.

The cheapest i have found so far is through a company called Insurers Hotline, from what i can tell the Insurance itself is underwritten through a company called Budget Insurance. They seem relatively unknown so i am wary of putting any money into them, does anyone have any experience with these guys?

Aliianz and QBE declined to insure it, as did CommBank (which is effectively Allianz anyway).
Mate,
I have heard some real horror stories about anything with Budget Direct during claims.
Mainly from customers that have come back to the company I work at after having a "cheaper insurance" elsewhere. Suddenly they realise we were not so bad afterall.
Budget direct, budget insurance, insurance hotline...all the same ppl

Last edited by Yaw; 26-04-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #15
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Mr Quan,
I work in insurance, I can pretty much gaurantee you will pay lots more if you want to put a $3000 stereo into a $5000 car. When you consider most the stereo is worth more than half the value of the car your insurance will sky rocket due to making it more likley that the car will be broken into or stolen for the stereo alone. Take my advice on this one mod if anything, keep your stereo to value to under $1000.
Yes I understand your reasoning, besides I can't really argue with someone like you who's in the industry. However, if my audio system was ripped out, how would I replace it? That's the point of insurance, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
And to be perfectly honest (my own opinion here now not an insurance opinion) a $1000 stero verses a $5000 stereo will be just as loud and clarified.
No. haha sorry. You might get the same system as far as components goes for $1k - but a s*** brand. I'm not interested in the *boom boom* factor with my system (you know the typical P-platers that put insert top 40 hit here on repeat and drive around the block with their sub cranking). The definition and clarity is the reason for it costing $3k.

Sound System:
Old 26-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #16
AdzT3-146
own the road

i sorta got the same setup on mine that you've got planned, stereo for mine was about 1k, got a $1500 quote from just cars full compo. - am 18 years old so im guessing that counts a fair bit against me
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 07:51 PM   #17
redGhia
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Best = Raa insurance for my situation

21 year old male, EF XR-6 with all the mods just over $1000 a year on a rating 2 :-)

Great service as well, allways willing to help
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #18
MadManz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Mate,
I have heard some real horror stories about anything with Budget Direct during claims.
Mainly from customers that have come back to the company I work at after having a "cheaper insurance" elsewhere. Suddenly they realise we were not so bad afterall.
Budget direct, budget insurance, insurance hotline...all the same ppl

Just cars is a Rip off... no doubt about it... AAMI along with 90% of other including shannons wouldnt touch us as i was 23 at the time
and so was the fiance...

NRMA was the cheapest, fiance wrote her car off. not her fault and was finalised within 4 weeks and all was paid out.

cant be happier than i am with NRMA, and so far they are the cheapest for us
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 07:53 PM   #19
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redGhia
Best = Raa insurance for my situation

21 year old male, EF XR-6 with all the mods just over $1000 a year on a rating 2 :-)

Great service as well, allways willing to help
Yeah I'm from Adelaide origianlly, I remember the RAA were always pretty good. I think up here in Brissy RACQ is the parallel of the RAA, and RACQ sound pretty useless. :(

Sound System:

Last edited by MrQuan; 26-04-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 26-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #20
MadManz

we also found that if mods to a vehicle exceed 20% of the vehicle value they wont insure you... so if you have an accident and dont have those listed on the policy they technically dont have to pay u out! Legalised Theft in my books
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #21
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Whoa! That's a neat trick they've got then :

Insurance... f***in vampires. (No offence Yaw :P)

Sound System:
Old 26-04-2005, 08:34 PM   #22
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
Whoa! That's a neat trick they've got then :

Insurance... f***in vampires. (No offence Yaw :P)

If you have the mods agreed to be covered and listed on the policy then you are covered. The trick is being honest with your mods and accessories in the first place.
I appologise I did not fully read your stereo was already an exisiting stereo, what I saw was with the just cars insurance quote you said "and I haven't started modding it yet" So I assumed you did not yet have it. But as stated above, if you want to be insured you will have to pay the correct premium by being upfront and honest.
Old 26-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yaw,

thanks for the warning. I liked their price but the word 'budget' sorta put me off lol.
Just Cars - i couldnt believe their quote. They will never get my business thats for sure!

NRMA are good but i just cant convince them to take me on with the 17's the Focus has got, even though theyre a Genuine Ford wheel. They have issues with the width of them. I'll keep trying though as i like them.
Old 26-04-2005, 10:51 PM   #24
chippa6
Novice Professional

As far as I am aware when you start out with just cars the first premium is high then as you are with them more the premium decreases (i am not talking about no claim bonus here) my brother insured his first wrx with them it was a 97 model and the premim was $3300, his next car was a 2000 wrx and his premium was $2600 the next year. He now owns a GTR and I believe his premium is now $1700. I think it might be something like a loyalty discount.

Chippa
Old 26-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Maybe so, but its still a lot of money compared to other companies in the first place.
Old 27-04-2005, 12:02 AM   #26
XRQTOR
Banned

I rang about 3o different insurance companies and could only get 2 quotes. Just cars and NRMA, just cars was 4o% cheaper than nrma but dont have the new car replacement deal. Just cars is who i went with as they will let me mod the car the way i want to.

NRMA want $5536 (35%ncb) with $900 excess.
Just Cars want $3545 (3o%ncb) with $2100 excess, with a noted accident against my name although no claim was made. Would have been cheaper again.

Both those prices are for a market value of $45,2oo although NRMA will go agreed value at $55,ooo with the same premium.

Last edited by XRQTOR; 27-04-2005 at 12:16 AM.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 12:05 AM   #27
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Do Just Cars allow you to pay by the month?

Sound System:
Old 27-04-2005, 12:17 AM   #28
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
Do Just Cars allow you to pay by the month?
Na only real downside.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post