Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
justa6
justa6

Default has holden trumped us again

hi all. so i went down to cole's this morning to grab the milk, and on my way past had a quick look at the new wheel's mag. In it it had the new falcon, holden coupe, gto 7.0L commodore and can't remember what else. The point is the feeling i was getting while flipping through the page's, all the picture's of the commodore's looked well, fantastic (unreal). While the new falcon sort of did'nt quite have it.
So i'm not sure if it's that the falcon isn't good enough or that holden has released a killer. Anyway at a time where ford need's to make a lot of sale's on this new car i hope i'm wrong. What are your thought's.

marty

justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

wheels are totally bias towards holden... its just the camera angle and things they have done to make it look outstanding and then just slaped a few pics of the new falcon in

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

holden has'nt trumped us at all,its just pictures.Its the machine in personal viewing and contact that counts,pictures can be made to look a certain way however the individual photographs or draws them,they can be made to look stupid,good or fantastic however they want them to look,being humans our eyes are like our own camera and video recorders and seeing something in its full living image kicks *** against photos or drawings.
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I don't know about everyone else but I am a little dissappointed with the new falcon for 1 reason only and I think it makes the world of difference in looks.
That reason being that it does not have the "flared gaurds" look. They did it to the Focus and it looks great. It looks good on the Commodore too. When I see a BA or BF since getting used to the (what appears to me) to be modern euro styling, well it just seems unfinished. So I was suprised that the FG does not appear to be getting this look.
This is just my opinion and don't get me wrong I really like the FG and think it will be another great Falcon, but that flare could have made it better.
Old 29-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^Maybe in a few years the guards will grow out.
Too true I get so frustrated when flicking through mags. The cover will have a nice shiny XP coupe or something then you flick through it and its full of holdens including a massive center fold poster of the latest 'HSV Super Bombed Out Do Me Now Car'. Flick further more and the only pic of a ford is in the 'Home Grown' section featuring Shazza's falcon ute bush basher with full kenworth side lights and mudguards...complete with the roof cut off.

Anyway back to the point, yeh I reckon Holden have and still seem to get better publicity through magazine photos and of course other media recources.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
EviLkarL
Ausfactor.com

Come on guys, this is a Ford forum but wake up and smell the coffee. Fact is Holden is whooping Ford into the ground at the moment.
Now I am true blue blooded as anyone else here. In fact I bought a BFGT brand new in late 2006 and I love it.
That said I am not blind to see the facts.

1. Holden is blowing Ford out of the water at the moment in terms of big news stories of future cars and projects on the drawing boards. The coupe, sales to USA, New models.
2. The media release of the FG Falcon was as interesting as dog poop. IMHO the FG is nothing new.

Take that with current Ford V8 Supercars drivers running each other off the track, Holdens current #1 plate holder in the category and so many other things that Holden are doing, its no wonder my next car will most certainly be a Holden.

For me its one thing to support a brand for over 30 years both in racing categories and at the dealership. Its quiet another to stay loyal with the current trend.

What I want to hear from Ford is hype about a GTHO release, new ideas and innovations, support for the aussie car market by manufacturing out own cars here and revamps of the entire dealership attitude and service.
Old 29-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky for Ford that genuine consumers buy cars and not just magazines......

Old 29-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem in a big way is that Holden is always letting people know about their background and history...especially with the recent 1948 FJ stuff linking with the current ute.

Ford needs to actually market itself as Australian too. People see Holden as "Australia's car", but it's the power of Holden's marketing. Ford is no less Australian but for some reason, they don't ever seem to tell anybody.

Holden's marketing is aggressive and effective. I can remember more Holden commercials than Ford ones. Ford are effective if you're 85 and wearing slippers in front of the fire.
The only Falcon commercials I can remember are the BFII one, "A very European drive" which did nothing for me.

The XR8 ute commercial..the blokey one was excellent though

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
Brett3158

Football ,meat pies kangaroos and xxxxxx cars.

Why cant Ford come up with a catchy tune even if its 30 years down the track.
Brett3158 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the amount of imported content in our cars I think that tune would go more like: "Soccer, dim sims, panda bears and Holden cars " now....

Old 29-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
Brett3158

Good call dude.
Brett3158 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
tetgreg888

Bring back a coupe aswell
tetgreg888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett3158
Football ,meat pies kangaroos and xxxxxx cars.

Why cant Ford come up with a catchy tune even if its 30 years down the track.
You don't need a catchy tune. I call that ****.

Just have a commercial with a timeline, starting with the Model Ts and Geelong, and include milestones...I don't know the history anywhere near as well as others, but conclude it with the "Greatest Falcon ever" or something like that.

Make it appealing and factual, using a great tune and a good voice to actually go through it.

That's an idea, but at least people would see that Ford's investment in Australia is greater than they could have thought.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
With the amount of imported content in our cars I think that tune would go more like: "Soccer, dim sims, panda bears and Holden cars " now....
Truthfully, drop the Holden tag, it should be "Daewoo Cars".

And make it ping-pong!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Lucky for Ford that genuine consumers buy cars and not just magazines......
Lucky for Ford? That genuine consumers buy plenty of Holden's and Toyota's? Ok.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:20 PM   #16
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The most annoying advert at the moment is the Holden Captiva ad. "With 30% better fuel economt than Ford Territory", well no sh%t, their comparing a smallish capacity diesel to a grunty big six petrol engine. Holden know the public in general know next to nothing with transport and play on this as proven with this ad and with their 'all Aussie' marketing etc. I'd love Ford to say that their Australian made Territory rates better in every review compared to Holden's imported Korean sh^tbox. It's guaranteed average Joe will tell you the Captiva is Australian whilst the Terri is an import, it's frustrating stuff.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm
The most annoying advert at the moment is the Holden Captiva ad. "With 30% better fuel economt than Ford Territory", well no sh%t, their comparing a smallish capacity diesel to a grunty big six petrol engine. Holden know the public in general know next to nothing with transport and play on this as proven with this ad and with their 'all Aussie' marketing etc. I'd love Ford to say that their Australian made Territory rates better in every review compared to Holden's imported Korean sh^tbox. It's guaranteed average Joe will tell you the Captiva is Australian whilst the Terri is an import, it's frustrating stuff.
Everything you said makes a hell of a lot of sense, and is a tribute to Ford's crap marketing.

When Ford's product is attacked directly from a car that is inferior, they should be attacking back with REAL facts that are relevant.

Say that the Territory is AUSTRALIAN BUILT with an Australian engine, compared to the Craptiva which is a glorified Korean lawnmower. Imported Craptiva. Drum it in!

Instead, nothing is done or said.

Ford's advertising and marketing team must have a great job. Imagine, being paid a wage to release half-arsed commercials. Pay me. I'm great at goofing off.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Its not just Ford Australia that are strugling look at the world wide picture and the amount of money that they lost with Jag & Range rover in the sale this week.

If you compare Ford/FPV and Holden/HSV in my eyes we are falling behind further as the years tick by, the review for the Motor show here in Adelaide was in todays paper there is one small photo of the FG XR6 (guess what its blue) and the front cover and another couple of pages is on the Coupe 60 then the other beast and all the other sort after machines that are going to be there.
It doesnt matter if these Holdens are concepts or not, its just like the review states General just loves to spoil Fords Party. I couldnt agree more.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I don't know about everyone else but I am a little dissappointed with the new falcon for 1 reason only and I think it makes the world of difference in looks.
That reason being that it does not have the "flared gaurds" look. They did it to the Focus and it looks great. It looks good on the Commodore too. When I see a BA or BF since getting used to the (what appears to me) to be modern euro styling, well it just seems unfinished. So I was suprised that the FG does not appear to be getting this look.
This is just my opinion and don't get me wrong I really like the FG and think it will be another great Falcon, but that flare could have made it better.

You're joking right?

The wheel flares on the Commy's are what turns me off of them the most!

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Lucky for Ford? That genuine consumers buy plenty of Holden's and Toyota's? Ok.
Not because of magazine articles.....

Old 29-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #21
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

There would be alot of people out there that would take alot out of Magazine articles comparing one car against another, especially people that live in the country and dont have access to FPV/HSV dealers around the corner.
They may have a read of several articles then go and drive them when in the city and find out for themselves what the differences are.

Certain things might be pointed out for them to look for that the other doesnt have or vise versa.

Its all about personal preference and who you want to listen to
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know anyone who grabs a mag, see's 7 pages of pretty holden ads or commentry and says "yep, im going to buy a holden now"...
Even the tests where 2,3 or 4 comparitive models are tested are only a lead in.
People visit dealers, look at the models, test drive them then make a choice on what suits THEM, they dont hand over the folding just because of ads or what some journo says...
All ads do is make people aware of the choices avaliable and maybe highlight model features.... the rest is just hot air.

Old 29-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #23
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Its about building a brand name you ask most teenagers who love cars what HSV they all know, you ask them what FPV is they never heard of it...
Brand Building its like growing with your football team you follow the team all the way.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #24
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
wheels are totally bias towards holden... its just the camera angle and things they have done to make it look outstanding and then just slaped a few pics of the new falcon in
Correct, anyone would think they'd focus more towards the launch of the new falcon.... but instead they drool over a car that might not even make it to the showroom.. FOOLS!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by needaXYGT
Correct, anyone would think they'd focus more towards the launch of the new falcon.... but instead they drool over a car that might not even make it to the showroom.. FOOLS!
Wheels are in it for the money. They are biased towards Holden, but they do it for sales. If Holden released a big poo with some cardboard-plate wheels on it, If people wanted to know about it, Wheels would publish it ahead of the greatest Ford ever simply because Holden has effectively marketed its badge in a way that the average simpleton will be drawn towards, even if it's full of doodie.

I think Ford need to change its image in a big way.

Some competetent marketing may do that.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Are you for real, if you have seen the car in the metal you will realize the guards are actually quite big and flared, especially at the front, but they are nicely integrated into the car, not ridiculously oversized and stupid looking like the flares on a VE. The flares on the VE are one of its worst parts, thank god Ford didn't follow suit.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #27
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

Agreed seven fold about how ugly the ve flared wheel arches are!!!!!!!
HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #28
IDT
Marko

I keep hearing people say that customers don't pay attention to magazines and the articles within. What a load of rubbish. Anyone who thinks that people don't read and absorb these articles is a fool. Those who say that real buyers go to dealers also forget that car dealerships are one of the least trusted information resources there is. If wheels is one eyed (which it is) then your local dealer must be cyclops himself.

Ford Australia needs to wake up and show the ENTIRE Australian public that they believe they have a superior product. There lack of confidence in advertising every positive aspect to all consumer groups is what is killing the brand here. Not Ford US or buying or selling JAG or Landrover or anything else.

Spoolman was absolutely right.

Ford and FPV if you are listening
"BUILD THE BLOODY BRAND!"
Old 29-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
dandandandan

I'd say that Ford Oz dont flaunt their heritage as much probably because Ford Global want to full integrate Ford Oz into their companies design mission so to speak.

Also I like flares but the ones on the VE are just ridiculous. It's like four bubbles attached to a dome...
Plus holden haven't pulled off the VE shape as good as early 2000 Audi's tbh...

BA MKII XR6T, Vixen, Leather, Sunroof.
Stock as a rock... Till after xmas :evil3:
dandandandan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #30
Mr X
mustang pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
hi all. so i went down to cole's this morning to grab the milk, and on my way past had a quick look at the new wheel's mag. In it it had the new falcon, holden coupe, gto 7.0L commodore and can't remember what else. The point is the feeling i was getting while flipping through the page's, all the picture's of the commodore's looked well, fantastic (unreal). While the new falcon sort of did'nt quite have it.
So i'm not sure if it's that the falcon isn't good enough or that holden has released a killer. Anyway at a time where ford need's to make a lot of sale's on this new car i hope i'm wrong. What are your thought's.

marty
If the plebs show enough interest Holden will build it.VE Monaro-7 litre V8-whatever.Thats how the last Monaro started life.

Ford concept cars in recent years- AU R5 dual cab Falcon ute-never made production.AU 300+ coupe - never made production(both previewed before Crewman and VX Monaro).Maybe they should have?-almost forgot-
Galaxie Fairlane concept with Boss 290 power-and now Caprice soldiers on.
Base Holden's suck but every VE HSV turns my head.I hope the FG is a real head turner too.

Last edited by Mr X; 29-03-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post