Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Wally
XP Coupe

Default Does This Send a Clear Message?

WA is getting stern with hoons, but why would they think crushing this will send a message?

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...09-948,00.html

Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

why? because the wowsers see it as the government "doing" something
Old 29-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was it an incident or an accident? Harsh penalty for an accident!

This clown has got himself to blame as a 6 time offender especially considering he is only 20.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when the supercar scare was on in early 70's how much grunt did the HO/Charger/XU2 be rumered to have...300hp max? more importantly....how many of those cars were accessable to kids at the time. not many...too expensive. how much does a cheap turbo nissan cost today, compared with price of a GT back then? some of these worked turbo nissans today have 600HP. in adelaide lately there are averaging about one a week wrapped around a tree. its almost as if they WANT to be in the headlines.
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

What is truly frustrating is that this fool was doing this with his (sic) 14 month old son AND partner in the car. Instead of crushing her car (though it is clearly his), why not put this oxygen thief in gaol where he cannot kill or injure innocent people going about their daily business.

Gaol can only work as a deterrent if you are likely to end up there for a long time for interacting with society in such a way that your actions detrimentally affect other peoples safety and well-being by committing such deliberate acts of ignorance and stupidity.

Judges and Magistrates are inadvertently bestowing apathy and flagrant disregard for civil actions by not punishing CORRECTLY and APPROPRIATELY.

Doing burnouts and donuts is fun...I agree...I am no angel, but: I have never done them in a public carpark, with my family in the car. Or if truth be told - anywhere near a built up area as I never wanted to be responsible for crashing into anyone or anything and having to pay to fix it or go to gaol or lose my licence etc. etc. etc.

Pardon me and I am sounding like a REAL OLD CODGER...but I don't think I was EVER THAT STUPID.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

What REALY worries me is that Gov / authorities may kill modded cars!!
They can simply say std exhaust or no rego !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

This is his sixth offense for doing a burnout should he even be driving I thought he would have lost his license already. Either way why are they not taking drunk drivers cars off them are they not as dangerous as hoons. I went past a booze bus during easter and there would have been an easy 10+ cars on the side of the road.
This guy is a complete knob though doing that with his 14 month is stupid and I doubt this will stop him anyway.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
I know, it's scary isn't it? And the more dingbats like this guy that do this sort of thing...the more likely the Gummint is to implement such draconian and pointless laws/requirement such as these.

On the other hand, in some respects we as a community are to blame because we play this stupid "don't dob in anyone" mentality; it's a case of "sticking it to the man" because the Gummint is "always wrong and we aint doin nuffink wrong and why dey pickin on us?"

If you really want to get into trainspotting territory, then modifying any car in any way COULD be seen generally as a privilege that is partly condoned by the government by it's inaction.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 29-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
DIFFWA

Did you see the state of the car before police could take it, he CLAIMS "the car broke down and was striped overnight" now i can strip a car to a rolling shell in less then half a day, sell the parts use the money from the sale of the parts to buy another car.

Crushing a hoons car wont stop them, cars are cheap, gaol is the only answer to repeat offenders. I to am no angel i have done my fare share of burnouts and killing countless sets of tyres on public roads, if fact i got my biggest wake up call when i was caught driving on a suspended licence (dont need bullcrap answers to that i learnt my lession) and got away with a suspended gaol term go figure that, and that was first offence
DIFFWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbs
This is his sixth offense for doing a burnout should he even be driving I thought he would have lost his license already. Either way why are they not taking drunk drivers cars off them are they not as dangerous as hoons. I went past a booze bus during easter and there would have been an easy 10+ cars on the side of the road.
This guy is a complete knob though doing that with his 14 month is stupid and I doubt this will stop him anyway.
Sorry mate, but I think a drunk driver is just as dangerous and some belligerent wombat doing donuts in a carpark or drag racing down the main street at whatever speed where my Nana could chug out in front of him and get t-boned because he is doing 175kph and can't stop in time. Both equally as dangerous to me. Sorry but not directing any anger at you BTW.

You are right in asking [why did he not lose his licence?] but my guess is he would have fronted a Magistrate and bled some lurid sob story about how he need his licence to get to work to feed his poor 14 month old who has week old nappiess...boo hoo...Your Honour...and the Magistrate not wanting to be seen as 'harsh on the child' gave him his licence back. An extreme scenario but one I have witnessed first hand. Or in other instances people like this guy just drive without a licence anyway, get hold of some other car and back to square one... : :

THIS is the problem I was referring to in my post.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 29-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I think it's time to crush that hoon.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Transfiguring R

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
What is truly frustrating is that this fool was doing this with his (sic) 14 month old son AND partner in the car. Instead of crushing her car (though it is clearly his), why not put this oxygen thief in gaol where he cannot kill or injure innocent people going about their daily business.
But they were both egging him on. :

I agree that this guy should be locked up.
Transfiguring R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfiguring R
But they were both egging him on
Again...another problem.

I've seen people stand back and "yay...go mate...woohoo you beauty" when these tools are doing these things...but when it effects THEM DIRECTLY...they say "oh no mate these guys should be locked up"

Hypocrisy.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 29-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

Doing a burnout in a carpark is alot safer than travelling down a motorway at 100km/hr.
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
balthazarr

It's not even his car FFS... it's his girlfriend's car.

It's funny how they pick a 20 year old as the test case... someone that probably doesn't know any better, and even if they did, probably doesn't have the money to fight it in court.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
mrniceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
It's not even his car FFS... it's his girlfriend's car.

It's funny how they pick a 20 year old as the test case... someone that probably doesn't know any better, and even if they did, probably doesn't have the money to fight it in court.
I think he kinda picked himself. To have been caught 6 times already makes you wonder how many times he's done something stupid and not been caught. But as far as doing skids in a carpark goes its more of a nuisance thing than a danger to other motorists.
mrniceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #17
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

crush it/sell it i say.. 6 times he has been caught!! maybe having his face plastered all over the papers and getting his car crushed will finally wake him up and teach him a lesson.
Old 29-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #18
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Wonder if you could claim it on insurance?
Old 29-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

hoon laws are going to be the end of any motoring joy we have, crushing cars and impounding cars is the only law I know of in australia where you get the punishment before the conviction how the hell is that right.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #20
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Its called Victorian P plates

You'll find that when cars start getting crushed, police stations will start burning down. People really don't like it when you destroy their personal property, not that I condone burning down police stations or hooning, I can see it happening now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
hoon laws are going to be the end of any motoring joy we have, crushing cars and impounding cars is the only law I know of in australia where you get the punishment before the conviction how the hell is that right.
It said in the article there has been a conviction (number 6) for this type of offence. So it appears they are not crushing before guilt has been proved.

I have only one thing to say to this fool, suck it up!
Old 30-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #22
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
unfortunately, morons driving dangerously and taking innocent people's lives and limbs are bringing an end to any motoring joy we have

we see these and other articles with crashed cars and devastation time and time again, and yet, there is always someone who will take lives doing something totally stupid. we have all been guilty at some time of being silly (and it was much easier to find a secluded area 20 years ago, than now), but there will always be those that go overboard and then blame the authorities for any penalties

it is not the rules that are the fault of motoring enjoyment disappearing - it is the fault of those who go past the acceptable limit and give the rule makers the ammunition they need to make these rules, everyone hates so much

Last edited by gtxb67; 30-05-2009 at 09:48 AM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
platinumXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
there will always be those that go overboard and then blame the authorities for any penalties...it is not the rules that are the fault of motoring enjoyment disappearing - it is the fault of those who go past the acceptable limit and give the rule makers the ammunition they need to make these rules, everyone hates so much

Exactly.

Toys:
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
Old 30-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Crushing the car WRONG WRONG WRONG,
confiscate/clamp it on the spot for hooning (first/minor offence for 24 hour) and if its a court offence the car gets impounded until he is convicted then sold at a public auction with the funds going directly to the local hospital truma unit!

He then gets locked up/ no licence for YEARS!

Dont forget that if you tramp it off the lights and spin a wheel at 15kph the 55yo Copper will say you were doing burnouts/donuts, they need to be educated as to what constitutes a REAL danger to public safety.

The gov should have spent a Large sum of OUR money building low/medium security (farm style) jails in the middle of F#%*N no where to help stimulate the economy, that way they would have the room to lock up the STUPID 20yo instead of giving him yet another "suspended sentance/community service, thats the real joke here.

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #25
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
Crushing the car WRONG WRONG WRONG,
confiscate/clamp it on the spot for hooning (first/minor offence for 24 hour) and if its a court offence the car gets impounded until he is convicted then sold at a public auction with the funds going directly to the local hospital truma unit!

He then gets locked up/ no licence for YEARS!
there are warnings everywhere, telling us what will happen if we hoon. i neither agree or disagree with crushing (i have not thought enough about it, to form an opnion), but the warnings are there. ignore them at your peril

within reason, the conviction on the spot is correct. a speeding fine is a conviction on the spot isn't it. the reason they do not need a court case, is because it was witnessed by a police officer. the penalty is already set in virtually all of the cases, so there is no need to waste tax payers money to get a conviction via the court system

your "locked up" theory has some merit until we realise how much money it will cost tax payers, while another potential tax payer is taken off the street. while i think it would be great in a perfect world, i do not think it would work in our less than perfect world
Old 30-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #26
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Yes, in a PERFECT WORLD, id have a GT-P (we all dream of that one)

Hate to say this, But

Look at the USA, you steal a car and get caught YOUR GOING TO JAIL FOR A LONG TIME !!!!

Isnt it time to address our watered down Penalties/ Deterents for repeat offenders??

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #27
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

there are more people killed on our streets due to inattention, and a combination of factors ie drinkdriving + speeding resulting in a accident, there were stat's released late last year about fatal crashes involving 'hooning' and it was a 1.2% representation in the overall figures, so HOW does it justify just a huge following and banishing from the world? 2 black lines left on the road cannot, and IS not as dangerous as drink driving, yet currently in qld if you drinkdrive your first offence is a warning, second offence is a impounding for 48hours, however if you spin the wheels for more than 2 consecutive seconds to constitue hooning its conficated on the spot for 48 hours... its POWER gone mad.

who cares if he has been seen 6 times? who hasent done a skid on the street when they were young/stupid? its a right of passage, he was just stupid enough to do it in full public view in a car park.. *im not condoning doing it with a 14mth old in the car either* just purely stating how it is.

Its a far cry from the 'worst' crime ever commited but so far you have states like SA that have no facilities for them to go to for a release, WA unless you live in perth your in for a long drive, brisbane is fixated at the moment to ban any skids legal or not, so if you are going to ban/crush everything sooner or later expect the same in return, expect people to be doing high speed runners *those on their last chance will give it a red hot go* and I would as well.

Crushing the car as a penality will be a $500 penality for one and a 50K for another for the same offence... HOW IS THAT RIGHT?

too many do gooders in the world who have too much self worth and no thought into how to solve an issue other than to abolish it.

untill you can fix/solve the issue in a professional/adult way you dont deserve to have your ĮRUSH theory's listend to.

Old 30-05-2009, 11:16 AM   #28
gtxb67

Quote:
there are more people killed on our streets due to inattention, and a combination of factors ie drinkdriving + speeding resulting in a accident
that is true - in my opnion, dropping a burnout is not necessarily dangerous (depending where it is of course). however, how many of these accidents are caused by hoons (there are many more than care to admit it) who are speeding or being inattentive because they have their mates in the car, and also because when their speed is higher, their concentration needs to be also. the odds are that someone who drops a wheelspin or the like, will also keep the right foot a little closer to the floor than it needs to be. and it will also stay down longer too - that is why poeple get targeted for wheelspins, because not many do one and drive sedately for the rest of the night

the only point i have really tried to push - and with speed cameras also, is that the general population is the problem. the rules are there in place and it is up to us to drive within them. the rules will not become more relaxed, but if people do not show responsibility on our roads, the rules will just become tighter and tighter and we will only have ourselves to blame - not the powers that be
Old 30-05-2009, 11:45 AM   #29
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

I do agree with you gtxb67 but it then leads into the age old debate about driver training and general education.

unless you have defensive driver training at school age compulsury and in addition to your licance every 15 years you undergo a retest, after the age of 70 every 2 years. then you will not see a decrease in minor collisions and a drop in major fatality's.

Im not innocent of dropping skids, but im also not the one trying to read a map while talking on the mobile and steering with my knee in peak hr traffic, im not the one over taking on a blind bend because ive lived in the city my whole life and been spoilt with dual lane carrageways, or a U turn on the bruce hwy into the fast lane and pootleing up to the 100kmh speed limit while the rest of the traffic try and avoid the twat.

after driving limos for 2 years and doing over 3000k''s a week you see ALOT of dumb **** happening on the roads from all age groups and very few of them involve sideways action into an on comming vehicle, by targeting 'hoon's' persay its just a 'target' group so when it gets reported in the paper the authorities look like hero's as they are saving the world from a worse threat than osama bin laden.

also head down the grape vine hoons are responsible for the global financial crisis as well....

Old 30-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #30
gtxb67

Quote:
I do agree with you gtxb67 but it then leads into the age old debate about driver training and general education.

unless you have defensive driver training at school age compulsury and in addition to your licance every 15 years you undergo a retest, after the age of 70 every 2 years. then you will not see a decrease in minor collisions and a drop in major fatality's.
i agree with you, driver training is pathetic, particularly for international drivers (my wife is one, so i am not being racist, just making an observation). if you hold a licence overseas for three years, you can pass your learners, hazzard perception and driving test and be fully licenced the day you get off the plane - even with five hours driving experience in another country, who's roads have no relevance to ours. our education for citizens is not much better

we will never have zero accidents or fatalities, but certainly with better training, we could hopefully reduce them. police presence would not hurt neither

sorry for getting off topic