Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!
Default The Dark Side beckons...

OK, I have had a tennis ball flying back and forth in my brain for some time - it's been plaguing me for months! :

I've had V8's all my life except my very first car - that was a 250 in a XC! I sold my last V8 about 2.5 years ago and have been driving a very nice Subi Lib GT-B. It's been fun, but.... It's a small-er car (I'm 6'6" or approx 2m tall) and it's just not torquey enough down low.

Other than the XR and FPV - (I've had an XR and not interested in FPV), Ford don't offer what I'm looking for - a luxo V8. And seriously, the GT-E is just too damn expesive!! I've been contemplating a G6ET for some months and have driven a few. Some modified, some stockers. And something is not quite right - it's like it's missing something. Sure, I love the pace, looks, interior etc but I just couldn't put my finger on it till the wife summed it up - "It's just not a V8". I was floored. She hit the nail on the head. So what to do? Well, the answer may be from the dark side.

A mate of mine bought a WM Caprice V8 a while back and it prompted me to look into it. So I did. And I drove a few... Then I saw this one:

Far canal!! How good is that?? Now I have blue blood, but I respect something that looks awesome and sounds just as good from the dark side. Problem is, it's really got me thinking. V8, plenty of space, looks bloody brilliant, DVD players for the kids, plenty of torque, the works - just ticks all the boxes................... Even the wife likes it.

OK, so here's the question - what would you do? G6ET or Caprice? (Not interested in Calais V either).
About the same price ATM due to discounts etc.
G6ET is quicker, uses slightly less fuel, more than enough torque!, more gadets and gizmos, SWB, considerably better g'box, nice seats, looks pretty good lowered on the 19's, camera reverse, adjustable pedals, is a FORD, but, no LSD, no sunroof, steering wheel adjustment is 2/5ths of stuff all!
Caprice is a bloody comfortable cruiser, LWB, plenty of easy grunt, sounds brilliant, fairly commanding looks, rear AND front park assist, tri-zone climate control, DVD players for kids, sunroof and 20's, quad pipes, but, uses a bit of juice, huge A-pillars : , plenty on the road so resale questionable (and yes it's a Holden).

Now I'm sure there will be the die hard Ford nuts flame me for even asking, but I'm a thinking man and will consider what's the best in the market for my wants. I'm looking for thoughts, issues, idea's etc from those that may be in my position - love V8, love LWB, love lazy torque but cannot be satisfied with a current Ford product.

So, flame suit on, thoughts?

Cheers

BTW - if I bought the Caprice, I'd still own 2 Fords!! :

AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a great car no doubt about it and i sure you it serve you well.
But if your Blood runs blue . My money would go to a Force 8

But the heart wants what the heart wants . so good luck
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

From reading through your post it sounds like you've already made up your mind ;)

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
escapin

have to agree that caprice looks the goods
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

No comment!!! Haha!! (falls back into chair knowing that Federer has just smacked a backhand down the line!! The back and forth continues).

Yep - bloody good choice... Even though I thought of the Force 8 a while back, I dismissed it coz it's not new and is harder to package through work... Oh so nice to look at, pain in the **** for my brain to dismiss it...

I'm hurting!
Old 21-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Kenz - does it? Seriously? I only ask 'coz I really am torn... Especially after snappy posted that pic of the Force 8!! Bugger me...
Old 21-02-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I see your problem: another Force 8

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
escapin

if its a work package car its not like your really buying and owning a holden is it? lol
escapin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

burnedout - you bastard!! (kidding mate - nice pic!!)

escapin - good point that! Hmmm... swings the other way again...
Old 21-02-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Well it kinda did to me anyways, it seems like your trying to justify it in your own mind (buying a Holden)
Also I was under the impression that the GT-E was just the FG version on the Force 8? I have to agree with you on one thing though the G6ET is missing 2 cylinders :evil3:

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 21-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry mate .
I wish my hard decisions where like yours. Either way you can't go to far wrong
Old 21-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

kenz - thinking about - you might be right. I've actually tossed the idea around that much now that I can't actually distinguish what I'm thinking anymore! Sad isn't it. I said to the wife that I was not going to think about it at all over x-mas to have a break. That lasted about 1.5 weeks. After one drive of each car I was back to mush!! I think part of the problem is accepting the fact that I might actually drive a holden after owning fords all my life.
Old 21-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #13
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you live with that . While staring at the lion on the steering wheel everyday .
Are you always going to thik i should of got the ford . That would be my worry
Old 21-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #14
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Can you live with that . While staring at the lion on the steering wheel everyday .
Are you always going to thik i should of got the ford . That would be my worry
Now hes guna hit the ball back to the Ford end of the court

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 21-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp
burnedout - you bastard!! (kidding mate - nice pic!!)

escapin - good point that! Hmmm... swings the other way again...
True - I've been called a bastard......... The truth is I'm a proper bastard, so have some more................

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 21-02-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK, I have had a tennis ball flying back and forth in my brain for some time - it's been plaguing me for months! :

I've had V8's all my life except my very first car - that was a 250 in a XC! I sold my last V8 about 2.5 years ago and have been driving a very nice Subi Lib GT-B. It's been fun, but.... It's a small-er car (I'm 6'6" or approx 2m tall) and it's just not torquey enough down low.

Other than the XR and FPV - (I've had an XR and not interested in FPV), Ford don't offer what I'm looking for - a luxo V8. And seriously, the GT-E is just too damn expesive!! I've been contemplating a G6ET for some months and have driven a few. Some modified, some stockers. And something is not quite right - it's like it's missing something. Sure, I love the pace, looks, interior etc but I just couldn't put my finger on it till the wife summed it up - "It's just not a V8". I was floored. She hit the nail on the head. So what to do? Well, the answer may be from the dark side.

A mate of mine bought a WM Caprice V8 a while back and it prompted me to look into it. So I did. And I drove a few... Then I saw this one:

Far canal!! How good is that?? Now I have blue blood, but I respect something that looks awesome and sounds just as good from the dark side. Problem is, it's really got me thinking. V8, plenty of space, looks bloody brilliant, DVD players for the kids, plenty of torque, the works - just ticks all the boxes................... Even the wife likes it.

OK, so here's the question - what would you do? G6ET or Caprice? (Not interested in Calais V either).
About the same price ATM due to discounts etc.
G6ET is quicker, uses slightly less fuel, more than enough torque!, more gadets and gizmos, SWB, considerably better g'box, nice seats, looks pretty good lowered on the 19's, camera reverse, adjustable pedals, is a FORD, but, no LSD, no sunroof, steering wheel adjustment is 2/5ths of stuff all!
Caprice is a bloody comfortable cruiser, LWB, plenty of easy grunt, sounds brilliant, fairly commanding looks, rear AND front park assist, tri-zone climate control, DVD players for kids, sunroof and 20's, quad pipes, but, uses a bit of juice, huge A-pillars : , plenty on the road so resale questionable (and yes it's a Holden).

Now I'm sure there will be the die hard Ford nuts flame me for even asking, but I'm a thinking man and will consider what's the best in the market for my wants. I'm looking for thoughts, issues, idea's etc from those that may be in my position - love V8, love LWB, love lazy torque but cannot be satisfied with a current Ford product.

So, flame suit on, thoughts?

Cheers

BTW - if I bought the Caprice, I'd still own 2 Fords!! :
Go the Caprice, those things look damn awesome. Get some chrome wheels and change your name to Nick or Tony and play some music with your .45 caliber violins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by Daymoe; 21-02-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #17
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Force 8 /Thread
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #18
Scott

$61,000, reckon you could do pretty well off that too. I like the Caprice, they look very slick....but, I ride in them all the time and personally, the interior is cheap and they seem to have problems all the time. I think Spoolman has some info on how un-reliable they are.

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #19
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Daymoe - I've been known to wear a trench coat in my time!!

Burnedout - that Force 8 looks bewdiful! You've just graduated from master bastard to absolute pr.....! How's that meant to help me!! Haha!!

Or should that be aaa
a
a
a
a
r
r
r
r
r
g
g
g
g
g
h
h
h
h
h!!!!!

That GT-E's is nice too, but just not in my price... Even with the discounts!
Old 22-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #20
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do NOT get a WM Caprice... Heres why: http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=89681
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:08 AM   #21
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

5.4 - I've read that entire thread mate - twice actually to get a full list of everything. Interestingly, there is only about 10 or so owners actually posting issues on that thread, the rest is comments. I think it's fair to say that no matter what car anyone buys, there is always going to be a few that have a lot issues... Typically, we only read about the ones with issues.

Not being condescending towards you mate, just my thoughts.

When reviewing whether or not to buy my BA XR from these forums, with all the bad wraps it was getting from here I would have gone and bought an SS!! But I didn't and my XR was brilliant. It's all relative.

Appreciate your help though. It's good to know that others on here keep up with the LS1 forums too.

Cheers
Old 22-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #22
gtfpv
GT

mate i was going to say get the caprice . hands down . i love em . and if you buy it well done .
however then i saw that GTE............... mmmmmmmmm hard decision with the FG.

If it comes down to price , get the caprice.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #23
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Daymoe - I've been known to wear a trench coat in my time!!

Burnedout - that Force 8 looks bewdiful! You've just graduated from master bastard to absolute pr.....! How's that meant to help me!! Haha!!

Or should that be aaa
a
a
a
a
r
r
r
r
r
g
g
g
g
g
h
h
h
h
h!!!!!

That GT-E's is nice too, but just not in my price... Even with the discounts!
Truth is you should go with your gut..... (almost everytime).
Me, I'd go the G6ET, but it wouldn't like the Hells Gate Road. I test drove one a' them, gee it wus nice!

RTV Power
Old 22-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #24
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Here's a few things to think about, forget for a while what the exterior looks like, you will spend most of your time on the inside, which car do you like sitting in the most, after all, the three of them look damn good on the outside, and to be honest, I reckon on this thing, the FG G6E Turbo wins hands down, but that's my opinion, your opinion is what is the most important here.

Another thing to contemplate, and this is where the Force 8 comes into it's own, what has rarity and what's unusual. to me whenever I see a Statesman/ Caprice, I just think hired limo service (and the same goes for the now defunct Fairlane/ LTD). Nobody will ever think that when you drive a Force 8, you're most likely to get people asking what the heck it is.

Lastly, in 6 months, when you are driving along in your Caprice, and stop at the lights, and a Ego (or what ever you favorite FG colour is) G6ET pulls up along sided will you think to yourself I wish I had of bought that, the same question can go the other way around, if you have a definitive answer to either of these, than that is the direction you should go in.

And finally, I would go for the G6E turbo, purely for that interior.
Old 22-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #25
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the stato/caprice.

I had a WH2 for a while, much better then anything ford was offering at the time.

The build qualities are great, if the bug bites there is a complete aftermarket for them compared to the boss, they have more prescence.

Only other option would be a Fairlane G220, they are nice but look a bit plain Jane.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #26
GT-E

I have only heard bad things regarding the VE range, especially difficult to fix electrical gremilns.
I bought a Ego GT-E this week as I think it is excellent value and a great car.
There are several on carsales that are going for mid $60k's and they are a far better buy than the Statesman.
I will be getting the GT-E next week and I can't wait. I know I made the right choice, and I do not consider myself a Ford person even thought I have owned a few.
Go and find a dealer who will negotiate on a GT-E and you will be happy.
Old 22-02-2009, 12:50 AM   #27
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

The neighbours have the same model Caprice. We took it for a drive when they got it and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what a wonderful car. Really loved it. They have had no problems at all, except for the fuel consumption that is.

Definitely a hard choice to make, take 'em both for a drive and see how you go. I think the GT-E looks a bit better (gotta real soft spot for these ones).
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #28
Poidevin

I've had nothing but bad experience's with the VE range, I really wouldn't recommend any of the cars (unless they've had some work done to them).

But saying that, the caprice does look nice and would probably be worth getting it for the 8. But if you want to stay inside the ford family and get a quality car I'd recommend the G6ET, i guess it all comes down to if you want a 6 or an 8 and price range at the end of the day.
Poidevin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 01:47 AM   #29
BionicGT
Living in GT Nirvana

There's no doubt the Caprice looks really good on the outside but its not a comfortable car to drive any distance in. I had a V8 WM Caprice 6A for 2 years and it was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. It was in the workshop every month or so getting yet another problem fixed. If I took it on a long interstate trip, I would wonder if I'd make it or breakdown again. Many hire car operators won't touch the WM Caprice because of all the problems they have - mainly in the electronics. I see the NRMA had a VE Calais V on test for a year and said it had numerous electrical problems too.

The WM/VE interiors also look very dated now compared to the FGs. And Holden's 6sp auto transmission is 1980s technology. It's really hopeless with rough gear changes, change down lag and gets easily confused at times on what gear it should select. The ZF leaves it for dead.

As for the huge A pillars, they create a real blind spot. They are seriously dangerous especially in the wet when the wipers leave an additional area next to the A pillar that you can't see through. On tighter corners you have to lean forward in the driver's seat so you can see around them and not hit an unseen pedestrian or other road hazard.

Like I said, great looking vehicle let down by some poor engineering.

Last edited by BionicGT; 22-02-2009 at 01:55 AM.
BionicGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2009, 02:25 AM   #30
Scott

Quote:
Interestingly, there is only about 10 or so owners actually posting issues on that thread, the rest is comments. I think it's fair to say that no matter what car anyone buys, there is always going to be a few that have a lot issues... Typically, we only read about the ones with issues.
But they only sell a handful each month :(
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post