Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-04-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Default Dashmount & GPS install

I just purchased a Navman N40i and always hated the idea and the appeareance of the windscreen suction mounts so I went for the DIY no holes dashmount that sits to the left of the radio.

The mounting kit was ridiculously expensive. It came as 2 seperate parts. The dashmount ($49) and the GPS holder ($70) + $15 express delivery.

I'll photograph the installation. Also, is there any way to wire this to accessories? I'd like to keep the power socket free and I don't want wires all over the place.

They also say the screws that connect the bracket to the dashmount are self tapping. The dashmount is hard ABS plastic, I doubt those little screws would go through with a driver, I think I'll have to drill.

Last edited by Stugots; 04-04-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

Can you let us know how the Navman goes. I have read a lot of reviews but I would like to hear what you think.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
Can you let us know how the Navman goes. I have read a lot of reviews but I would like to hear what you think.
Gee I hope those reviews are good. Basically a friend who works for the distributor was able to hook me up with one. I think the built camera is a bit gimmicky but it seems user friendly overall. I didn't do a great deal of research on it. If I had my choice, I'd get a Garmin Zūmo 550 coz I can use it on the bike.

Anyway, I'll let you know for sure. It'll be put to the ultimate test this long weekend.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Curly

The reviews were mixed but they were like that for all the GPS units. None of them seem to stand out as being the best.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't have to plug it in all the time but it only lasts for a couple of hours. What I done with the wire is wrapped it around the steering column just enough so it can plug into the unit and into the power source

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Tom Tom mounted drivers side corner suction mount. It doesnt get in the way there and snaps easily out of the holder and drops out of sigt in the door shelf.

I'd be lost without it.... hehe
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Curly

More revs, how is the the Tom Tom? Any problems? What model did you get?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Tom Tom's are fantastic i have one on the window as well on my drivers side.

It is great, I have the ONE model with a lot of added POI's speed camera alerts/school zones ford dealers etc etc, new splash / shutdown screens and all that fun stuff..

Comes in handy many times

Chris
Old 07-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
BlackLS

Stugots, I can make you a loom to piggy back off the cig lighter circuit as well as lend you the radio keys if you want.

The loom will be completely removable if you were to sell the car and wanted to bring it to standard.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #10
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Thanks Black LS. It's ok for the moment, the Navman holds the charge for 4 hours so i'll get by with that for now.

Speaking of the Navman, I just got back from the Blue Mountains and it worked well. Super easy to use, there was some latency which had me missing a few turns but overall I was really happy. Couldn't help me in the shocking bumper-to-bumper traffic on the way home today.

The multipoint trip programming was great, The navpix isn't as useless as I thought it would be either. The voice commands are annoying, especially when you decide to follow your own directions :P.

I'd highly recommend it to people who have a hopeless sense of direction like myself.

By the way, the GPS holder pic at the start of the thread was the wrong part. It's actually for the TomTom One so I couldn't use the dashmount on the trip, I had to use the suction mount on the windscreen which was ok except the glare and exposure to heat in the daytime, at night the bright screen reflected back up onto the windscreen (when mounted under the rearview mirror). I'll get the correct part this week.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #11
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry for the slow reply Curly

The Tom Top one works very well. They all use similar mapping so the diference is more like personal preference I guess.

I like the ease of use of Tom Tom but sometimes the dutch reverse polish logic trips me up.

Tom tom is made by Clog Wogs so I guess there has to be something stange.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

What reverse polish logic would that be ?

Mine works perfectly have no issues at all with the TomTom ONE

Though if you have a Tom TOP thats different :P
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs

I like the ease of use of Tom Tom but sometimes the dutch reverse polish logic trips me up.

Can you explain this please?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #14
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok to turn off sounds you have to 'enable' the crossed out mouth symbol...

Years ago there was a principal called reverse polish notation - for programming or event sequencing. I havent seen this in 20 years so I guess its not used any more. From memory it was to conserve memory in industrial devices.

The tom Tom has a few of these concepts that's all - no big deal.

Basically I struggled with it and spray anything that doesnt conform to human logic flows.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
Curly

More revs, I looked up reverse Polish notation. I feel a bit smarter now.... Thanks for the lesson. I understand what you mean now. I like "human logic flows" too.
Old 30-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #16
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Finally got the Clic-On Navman holder. I was worried the position would affect signal reception but it doesn't. It sits nicely and is not in the way of anything I can't access with the remote. I run the charger cable underneath the front section of console
so no messy wires.

Pics below:

Old 30-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #17
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Thats quite a nice install, wouldnt mind one for my TomTom instead of mounting it on the windscreen all the time
Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #18
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I mounted the Tom Tom bottom drivers side windscreen where suction cup sits real low and click on cradle rests on the dash. It doesnt obscure visibility there and because it rests on the top of the dash it doesnt shake either.

Would prefer a HUD tho.. can you get them yet?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #19
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
Thats quite a nice install, wouldnt mind one for my TomTom instead of mounting it on the windscreen all the time
If you get the parts I listed in the first post you'll be set. Part number for the Focus bracket is 653585 and the TomTom One holder is 215188. It's definitely better located lower in the dash rather than stuck on the windscreen baking in the hot sun for everyone to see, not to mention better proximity to the charger
Old 01-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Cool cheers

Yeah it sure is, its a pain on the windoscreen, sun makes it hard to see at times, i could buy a hoob for it but would rather it out of the sun totally i think.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #21
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes the sun can make it hard to see at times.

hey I just did an upgrade of the Tom Tom operating S/W and it's much better featured now. it even auto zooms the map depending on road speed so approaching an intersection is zoomed in to see the detail while highway speed it zooms out so you can see the next town etc. it zooms back in if it detects a POI like a servo...

Nice!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Interesting, what model tomtom do you have. i thought i had the latest software but might have to check again then.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #23
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a TT GO 300 a couple of years old now.

I simply downloaded TomTom Home from their website then plugged my TT in to the PC. It powers up and detects and needed upgrades by itself. There are a couple of sites around ofering Aus POI too like fixed speed cameras etc.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #24
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Yeah ive got lots of POI's for speed cameras and schools ( they were actually put on by tomtom support themselves for me ) and lots of custom ones,

No updates for mine that does that i only have the TT One, that might be why.

Cheers