Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Holiday Driving.

Seeing as it's the silly season on the road I thought I'd drop a few hints on how to get where your going with the least amount of drama. (After 39 years interstate driving you tend to notice these things)

The comments below are written from a Truck Drivers point of view and relate mainly to country single lane roads but could still be applicable to dual highways

The main thing to remember is that the idea of driving is getting from point A to point B without impeding anybody else progress. This will save us all a lot of paperwork

# If you breakdown (or have to stop) get off the road as far as possible. Don't just pull up anywhere, there might be a parking bay or farm driveway a little further on where you can get further off the road.

# Keep away from the centre line, the enemy is on the other side and might like driving close to it as well.

# Carry a torch and a triangle (in case you break down) city folk tend to forget that country roads don't have street lights.

# After dark if you can see headlights or tail lights in front of you, your lights should be dipped. If your driving a lot at night you'll appreciate this.

# After dark don't drive with your fog/cornering/aux lights on into oncoming traffic. The same goes for the high intensity tail lights.

# Don't overtake Trucks and then cut back in sharply, it makes us nervous.

# Take a handheld CB in case you need to ask for help or how far to the next petrol/roadhouse/pub. But if you call a Truck (Ch40) talk normally, 10-4 good budgie type conversations will only be met with silence.

# If your travelling with mates a CB is invaluable (they might find the pub first!) but don't use Ch40, this is only used as a highway channel. Any long term conversations are usually 'off channel'.

# If you're towing a trailer or caravan and want to sit on 80-85 kmh fine. Most Truck Drivers are fine with this as long as the speed is constant.
Varying your speed makes it bloody hard to judge if we have enough room to do the job.

# Regardless of your speed if you are about to get overtaken by a Truck, back off a bit until he gets past, flash your lights when he's clear then resume your speed.

# Don't be impatient. If you see a sign saying overtaking lane ahead, wait until then if you cant see what's ahead. (I'm constantly amazed how many people behind me can see around the corner when I cant)

#If you pull up for a sleep in a parking bay be aware that there might be Trucks pulling up all around you in the middle of the night. The best place is to pull up right at the end of the bay

Old 20-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holiday Driving.

well done......been on both sides and I know where you are coming from....good advice.....just one other thing....leave us poor caravanners alone!!!!!!

but seriously do heed the above and you may just make it home......take it easy folks

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

There is a lot of van people that call us around these days, or let us know that they know we're behind them and will back off as soon as we pull out.

I trust that you can actually see behind you with your mirrors? Unlike most Vic cars whose mirrors only show the driver the front of his van
Old 20-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah! mate I can see ya comin....I got me a pair of big reds......trouble is the vans are getting bigger! with more gear in them

it's always surprised me that old joe blow can retire, walk in off the street, buy a new toyota v8 wagon or suburban behemoth and a bloody huge van and just knick off out in the road with no experience in towing or driving a large vehicle at all

some of these rigs now must easily weigh in over the 5 tonnes......cant drive a 5 tonne truck without the appropriate licence and yet we can jump in one of these combo's

way past time for a different class of licence I reckon......anyhoo! I'll shut up, I'm hi-jacking another thread!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
5 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Great tips.

I discovered the gesture of flashing lights when a truck passes a few months ago, and of course always slow down to help them get past.
Told my Mum and she immediately thought it'd be a agressive thing to do. I won the argument by trying it later that day, and have ever since!

I've had a few big semis decide to ride on my tail before, which is a bit unnerving if a roo or some other obstacle appeared in front of me! Usually this is on 110km/h marked roads, and being a Learner in WA, I'm limited to 100 (pointless nonsense!)... so everyone sits there peering at the specs of dust on the tailgate!
To anyone I've held up, sorry, it's the law to be a hazard...
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
LTDHO
The one and only

This should be a sticky!!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good on ya gaso, all good pointers, a bit of courtesy out on the highway goes along way, and makes the trip more enjoyable and safer for every one, and a very good point with vanners and mirrors too, to often you see blokes towing a van without proper towing mirrors, they have no clue what's going on behind them.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers man!

Will be doing the Hume this weekend from Melbourne up to the Gold coast, and for one night the back seat is turning into my accomodation methinks aha

Are there any highway lounged between here and Brisbane that anyone knows which has showers?
Old 20-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i too had no idea about overtaking etiquette.

Are you also supposed to hit the hazards after overtaking a truck to thank them?

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
# Don't overtake Trucks and then cut back in sharply, it makes us nervous.

# Regardless of your speed if you are about to get overtaken by a Truck, back off a bit until he gets past, flash your lights when he's clear then resume your speed.
Gee you don't say... The amount of times I had trucks cut in front of me leaving only a 1 to 2 second gap while on L or P plates is simply astonishing...

I don't want to start a forum war, but if you are a truck driver who happens to be reading this, please think about the cars you overtake as well.

And the second one, well 99% of the time they're in front of me before I get the time to flash them in

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag View Post
Are you also supposed to hit the hazards after overtaking a truck to thank them?
Leaving a gap is probably thanks enough, I can imagine how it can be worrying for a truck driver if a car cuts in, that truck isn't going to stop anywhere near as quick as the car in front, so leave a big enough gap.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag View Post
Yeah i too had no idea about overtaking etiquette.

usually when one truck signals another truck to come around him with one flash of the right indicator or one of the left to say not safe, after getting the passer around him and flashing him in, the the passer gives an alternating flash of the indicators as a thank you.
you can use anything as a signal as long as it`s interpreted the right way.
most truckies use the cb to guide each other around anyway, but for those that don`t this is pretty common method.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #12
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I always flas my hazzards once as a thank you when someone shows courtesy to me on the road.

Another tip I would like to add is to drive when you are generally awake. Ie if you have a 10 or 12 hr run ahead of you get an early nights sleep and perhaps wake an hr or 2 earlier than normal to start. NEVER do it after a days work or when you will be arriving very late at night when you would generally be falling asleep.

A timely reminder for all who still enjoy a road trip I'm off to Bris / surrounding areas next week then will return to Sydney only to continue on to Melbourne - should be a nice drive ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werd. View Post

Leaving a gap is probably thanks enough, I can imagine how it can be worrying for a truck driver if a car cuts in, that truck isn't going to stop anywhere near as quick as the car in front, so leave a big enough gap.
I rode with one of my cousins in the road train he drove one day, and noticed how many cars don't give much space (especially around Perth!)

So I always give them plenty of space when I overtake, over 100m if I can stay in the left lane safely that long.

I was really surprised on my first drive into Perth, as just how little space other drivers leave compared to what I usually would. I was constantly slowing down to leave some sort of a braking space, which was soon cut into again by another car!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #14
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

How about:

If you are sitting on 80-90km/h, please don't speed up to 110km/h as soon as you get to an overtaking lane, you'll just annoy everyone!

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH View Post
How about:

If you are sitting on 80-90km/h, please don't speed up to 110km/h as soon as you get to an overtaking lane, you'll just annoy everyone!
Add to that, don't just continue through the 50 km/h zone in the next village at 70. Trucks are quite adept at speeding through urban zones too I notice.

Had my first long trip (Nowra-Merimbula) since coming back from overseas and I must say I feel safer on a European motorway at 150 km/h with lots of traffic around than on an Australian road at 100 with less traffic!

For one thing, I was never, ever overtaken by a truck in Europe, it just doesn't happen. The truck driving is downright scary here, too aggressive and too fast. Show consideration to truck drivers? It's enough of a job avoiding getting killed by one. Six months freedom from having your mirror filled with the grille of a B double when you're already doing 10-15 over the speed limit was really nice. It's like returning to a Mad Max movie, that's an industry that's out of control.

Car driving varies from perfectly competent (probably the country folk) to all over the shop (most likely the city folk on holidays). In two days I saw all the road behaviours I've ever written about on AFF, including the type who do 70-80 in a 100 zone, never pull over, accelerate to 100 in overtaking lanes and plough through 50 km/h villages at 70, when you lose them, only to catch up later in the 100 where they're still doing 70.

I don't think these folk would understand any rules of courtesy, so lost are they in their own little world. The OP points on this thread are good but the people who really need to hear them won't.

I'm also disappointed at the absence of daytime headlight use on country roads, an important little safety measure.

And what's with the police cars here? Does somebody get their rocks off covering them in lurid colours and bristling with aerials like something out of Star Wars? After the unobtrusive Skodas and VWs in Europe, where you didn't feel threatened unless you were doing something really stupid, here it reeks of Big Brother/Nanny intimidation, almost military. Do 2 ks over and you'll see the blue light sonny.

I had one on my tail all the way from Bega to Merimbula so I set the cruise control by the GPS and defeated the Office of State Revenue that way, but I had the clear impression I was just a naughty little boy (in spite of 40 years driving) who had to be watched and kept under control. Phew what a difference from European driving that is. I think I'll just sell the Ford and stay at home in future!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
and I must say I feel safer on a European motorway
so you keep telling us mate. time to change the record. its getting old.

Gaso - good thread mate. you might want to stay indoors around 16th Feb too, as i'll be heading through again.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
so you keep telling us mate. time to change the record. its getting old.
I'll change to side 2, camel trails in Uzbekistan.
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Show consideration to truck drivers? It's enough of a job avoiding getting killed by one.
Wow... Just wow... Do you actually believe your own dribble?
Old 21-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU View Post
Wow... Just wow... Do you actually believe your own dribble?
There are very many perfectly good truck drivers but there are some who are a menace. And yes I sympathise with them when non-thinking car drivers pull in right in front of them. But tailgating vehicles that are a fraction of your mass and constantly pushing over speed limits is not safe driving.
Old 21-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

There's good and bad drivers in cars as well as trucks. When I drove to Dubbo it was the middle of the night and it felt safer, then driving back in the day time. As there was hardly anybody on the road. But coming home I found idiots in trucks and cars, as well as caravan and RV drivers.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
There's good and bad drivers in cars as well as trucks. When I drove to Dubbo it was the middle of the night and it felt safer, then driving back in the day time. As there was hardly anybody on the road. But coming home I found idiots in trucks and cars, as well as caravan and RV drivers.
There are of course many times more bad car drivers. Years ago I used to travel at night when the Hume was full of trucks only and frankly it was a pleasure sharing with them because they knew what they were doing.

My point is about the level of aggression (perhaps forcefulness is a better word) in some truck driving, tailgating and the general level of speed which is dangerous - not only the legal speed limit which is a little too high, but particularly the exceeding of the legal limits. 100 upwards is just too fast for such a vehicle from a safety aspect.
Old 21-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are of course many times more bad car drivers. Years ago I used to travel at night when the Hume was full of trucks only and frankly it was a pleasure sharing with them because they knew what they were doing.

My point is about the level of aggression (perhaps forcefulness is a better word) in some truck driving, tailgating and the general level of speed which is dangerous - not only the legal speed limit which is a little too high, but particularly the exceeding of the legal limits. 100 upwards is just too fast for such a vehicle from a safety aspect.
True that, I also find that on a motorbike, trucks are actually a lot more careful around you than cars are for some reason...
Old 21-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #23
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive with your headlights on, even during the day.

People tend to notice you easier.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #24
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Driving from Tom Price to Exmouth today. 660ish km I think....Leaving at midday.

Longest distance I've driven by myself.

As it’s pretty remote, got a couple of big 10L waters, tools, etc…It’s a fairly heavily used road though.

The people I’m meeting over there did the drive yesterday, put in fuel at Nanutarra…$1.93p/L

Can’t wait to get out on the boat tomorrow and chase some marlin!!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmattie View Post
Drive with your headlights on, even during the day.

People tend to notice you easier.
Best advice IMO. I've done it since I started driving.
Old 21-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

right ...............and you being an expert on heavy vehicle dynamics
Old 21-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #27
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see the "B" double doing 10 - 15 kilometres over the posted limit.....love to be the fly on the wall when the results get back to the boss from his onboard putey thingy

B doubles/triples and road train operators are the best on the planet and by far the most experienced and safest

I often pull in behind one of these on long treks because it is the safest place on the road.....in the cradle I used to call it.....in the city I pull alongside and go with them

far from denigrating them I praise their ability

a lot of dribble around concerning trucks.....lets not spread more here from such a fine thread

well done Gasoline......keep up the good work....you stay safe yourself, a lot of fools out there in cars waiting to kill you

2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Best advice IMO. I've done it since I started driving.
The exception to this rule is do not drive with your lights on if you are driving away from the setting or rising sun as it makes you even harder to see.

Another time is when the background behind you is very bright such as sand etc.

The last thing is use low beam, not high beam and especially not wan...., I mean, fog lights as these can be dazzling even in daylight and cause the oncoming driver to look away or blink.

Always think and look at the big picture as no one method suits all situations.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Chopped
as in chopped

Consider other motorists, always drive with your clothes on and don't play with yourself.

* Adults only * >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaHsU5jJRgE
Old 21-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Consider other motorists, always drive with your clothes on and don't play with yourself.

* Adults only * >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaHsU5jJRgE
He needs a manual.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post