Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Default HOLDEN, once again, has got it all, while FORD has nothing!!

www.smh.com.au:

Quote:
IN THE automotive equivalent of selling ice to Eskimos, Holden has secured a deal to export muscle cars to America.

General Motors in the United States revealed yesterday that Holden will build a new performance sedan, the G8, for its Pontiac division.

The deal, to be officially announced by Holden this morning, should see between 30,000 and 50,000 vehicles exported to the US from Holden's Elizabeth plant in South Australia.

The deal could be worth more than $1 billion. From early next year, Pontiac will sell two Americanised versions of the Commodore: a 270kW, six-litre V8 version and a standard model powered by the 194kW, 3.6-litre engine that powers the Commodore.

Unlike the Commodore, both engines will have fuel-saving technology that deactivates certain cylinders under low acceleration loads.

The car is almost identical to a Commodore except for a racier, more aggressive bonnet and front bumper treatment.

The export deal may be short-lived, however, as General Motors in the US is looking to eventually shift production of the G8 to Canada.

Jon Lauckner, GM's vice president for global program management, told the Herald that production of the car could be moved to a plant in Oshawa, Canada, within a couple of years.

The Oshawa plant is being converted to build vehicles such as the Chevrolet Camaro, which will also use the new, global rear-wheel drive underpinnings on which the Commodore is based.

Oshawa's conversion was expected to be finished in 2008, with the first Camaros going on sale late that year, Mr Lauckner said.

When the Oshawa conversion is finished, GM will want that plant to be operating at full capacity, which means having as many different models as possible coming down the line off the one platform. "Then we will either move it or potentially it will be time to talk about what comes after a G8," Mr Lauckner said.

If that were to happen, it would come as a body blow to Holden. Dwindling local sales of the Commodore mean that exports are key to the survival of Holden's local manufacturing base in Australia.

Holden last exported cars to the US between 2003 and 2006.

The Monaro-based Pontiac GTO coupe sold almost 12,000 cars a year.

While that was far short of its announced goal of 18,000, it successfully planted the seed for this larger deal.

Holden believes the G8 will do much better because it is a sedan, rather than a two-door coupe.

The sedan segment in the US is 20 times bigger than the sports coupe segment the GTO was sold into.
Oh dear, once again Holden has the head-start. When will Ford ever use some ambition and be in front for once!!! Everything they do has always been done by Holden first.

05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember quite clearly being fed a bullshit line that we cant sell Falcon/Territory to America due to their union not allowing imports. So what gives?
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simply because it's all up to Detriot what any and all Ford divisions can and will do around the world so Ford Oz can't be blamed for much and with Orion and their work on the next Ranger (a 400,000 unit program) things will change. Holden (congratulations to them) are only where they are because their parent didn't have the product (large RWD platform to export to mid east) and realised that Holden could fill the gap for less outlay...if it was going to be sales of 100,000 plus I can guarantee it would have been built in the USA.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM has crap cars, so they import more crap. Ford in the US makes cool cars, so why would they want our falcon.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #5
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
I remember quite clearly being fed a bullshit line that we cant sell Falcon/Territory to America due to their union not allowing imports. So what gives?
The UAW does allow imports. You can buy all kinds of Asian & European cars there.

In years gone by, Holden had a formal agreement with their parent company (GM) that they would not compete against GM on it's home soil. This is just one of the factors behind the Brock-vs-Holden debacle in the late 80's. He was trying to sell VL Directors in the US. This agreement may have changed in the past few years to allow some trading, but it appears to be in fairly limited numbers.

Is it possible that Ford Oz has the same type of agreement with it's parent?
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Ford in the US makes cool cars
Yeah.

*cough cough*
Old 08-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think robs ls1 has hit the nail on the head. Ford should be trying to import the Falcon to America or the Fairlane at least. What about the Falcon ute? There is nothing like that over there? Anything to keep the Australian operations running.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
Yeah.

*cough cough*
Fusion is years ahead in styling over the dated Falcon.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
GM has crap cars, so they import more crap. Ford in the US makes cool cars, so why would they want our falcon.

WRONG....

A sedan / pickup like the Falcon could actually save ford in the US, shame it was never built to be left hand drive.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
Fusion is years ahead in styling over the dated Falcon.
I reckon the Falcon looks way better than that poxy thing.

And the Crown Vic looks like a 1985-ised version of a 1970's car.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Orion is left/right hand drive.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
robs_ls1

Quote:
Sounds like they're headed in the right direction!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs_ls1
I reckon the Falcon looks way better than that poxy thing.

And the Crown Vic looks like a 1985-ised version of a 1970's car.
FoNA have done many studies regarding the Falcon and it had never sat well design wise in the USA. They have already gone down the road of the Fusion/500 and crossover versions of these platforms and for FoNA to simply ditch that investment or bring in the Falcon to potentially erode market share of what they already have on offer is just plain stupid. There is decent export potential for Orion but it is highly doubtful it will be a 'saviour' for the North American division.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Good on them. I just hope Holden brings in the new Camaro, for that car i WILL change camps!
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
HOON69
Banned

WHO CARES!

ford US has it all over GM US hence why they want and copy holden australia's designs

whatever GM US gets their hands onto they tun into crap anyways
looks at the us versions of vectra astra etc
like WTF :
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

not yet.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #17
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
I think robs ls1 has hit the nail on the head. Ford should be trying to import the Falcon to America or the Fairlane at least. What about the Falcon ute? There is nothing like that over there? Anything to keep the Australian operations running.
+

Admittedly, there are plans to use the Orion platform as Fords global RWD platform, that is one of the saving reasons for FoMoCo Oz developing yet another expensive car
Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #18
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard on the news that GM is now going to import the Holden UTE and sell in the states.

Once agene Ford has lost out, the closets thing they have is a F150 Lightning

Now let’s see the F150 Lightning Vs any one of the Australian equivalent’s XR6 turbo ute, XR8 Ute, FPV Pursute Ute, F6 Tornado

What would you choose?
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #19
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
WRONG....

A sedan / pickup like the Falcon could actually save ford in the US, shame it was never built to be left hand drive.
But the Orion is, so have a little faith
Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Funny you should post that, because here is a response to a thread on an American forum today, after they found out about the Pontiac:

"Ford has no clue what Americans want. They think we want gigantic trucks and SUVs, and maybe the option of a sedan when we run out of gas $$."

There wasn't any disagreement.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM   #21
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

And unfortunately, the car looks pretty darn good. Have a look at it here

Old 08-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #22
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

"Luke, Come over to the darkside"

That's what the car is saying to me

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_661
"Luke, Come over to the darkside"

That's what the car is saying to me
: Bit like that, ain't it...

WTF is it with Yanks and unsightly bonnet holes? Why do they have to ruin a nice clean bonnet all the stinkin' time?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford US makes cool cars?

yeah right.
They are in a worse position than GM.
If they made cars that were cool, people would buy them.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GM is actually in a good position, and are well on their way to recovery. Unlike Ford which is on a downward spiral with no sign of recovery (yet)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #26
StookEB

Ford US do make good cars just not the type the public want like a decent sedan.

If the Orion is Left/Right Drive compatible then what I6 are they going to use, I thought the Barra 6 was not left hand drive compatible?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM   #27
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

eh i thinks its more than just FORD sitting back and hoping that GMH make a HUGE FUG up

read what it says production will be moved to canada how is that good for GMH here in Australia??? the americans get a hold of the designs and offer GMH's people more money to go over there GMH is done..... Ford spent NOTHING to destroy the competition.... in theory of course

as long as Ford are moving along (improving slowly in a positive way) they wont be battling head on with GMH...not worth the losses

and as if youd buy a car based solely on its looks and the ads...pffft @ Holden their american now

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 09:18 PM   #28
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Good on them. I just hope Holden brings in the new Camaro, for that car i WILL change camps!
Start saving your pennies, Launch is scheduled for 2009 through Holden dealers.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #29
calaway

Don't get me wrong, I have always been a Ford fan, but come on guys, it is fantastic that Holden can export a really good car to the biggest market in the world.

We could all put our heads in sand and say "Holden junk, they can have it" but lets face it, the Australian auto manufactoring scene is dying a slow death, and its not just the car companies. You just have to look at companies like Ajax bolts to understand the flow on effects that a week car market can bring to our manufacturing industry.

I for one think that it is absolutely fantastic that an Australian Designed and built car (yeah ok, with alot of parts from south east asia) can be sold in the states. I want to think that I can still buy an Australian made car in ten years time, whether it be Ford or Holden (I drive a BA ute and the missus a Territory).

So the point is, I would love to see Ford do the same thing, but if its seeing a Commodore flying the flag, well good luck to them. I'm still a patriotic Australian at heart.
calaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #30
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am i the only one that could see a future for a diesel territory in nth America? They all buy BMW X5's like they are going out of fashion. The territory is a lot of car for the money. Would definitely be a worthy competitor.