Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question GRWD: what does the future hold?

The huge media circlejerk over the death-knell for the Falcon unfortunately raises more questions than answers at the moment. Phrases like "imported Taurus" have been bandied around far too much.

So instead, I was wanting to talk about an alternative future, one that involves RWD. Mulally hinted in his interview that Australia could have some input into the future Mustang. Depending on the involvement (either token or substantial), this has overtones of Global Rear Wheel Drive. Wishful thinking, or closer than you think? You decide.

Seeing as GRWD is still in deep freeze, and its future is still uncertain, can any insiders shed some light on the extent of the work that was done on it, and what shape it was taking? In a physical sense I mean. Was it like Orion at all, or an evolution of it? Or something totally different?

If a future RWD Falcon is going to fly here, we would be well placed to answer this little conundrum.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But IS it in deep freeze?

You probably know more than me, but I think there's too much talk around the place to the contrary to say that for certain...
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Is there a Ford equivalent of GMinsidenews.com?
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yeah blueovalforums.com

Lots of dribble there though. There was a thread someone here linked to that contained a post from a supposed insider about the Lincoln RWD plan.

I know nothing about GRWD, but I am very curious to know what stage it got to before it was shelved, and what it looked like. Falcon-esque? Or something totally different?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

if "THEY" know something, they wouldnt be saying much. Theres a lot of "chatter" on forums and in papers and press releases. It seems to me that every second day there is another interview with mullaly,kuzak or burella and that means these guys are asking for the attention. Its creating hype, speculation, and geneal awareness that a decision is being made. To me that means that an announcement is iminent. I have no idea what that may be. There are guys on here that know more than they are letting on. Hang on for the ride. Cross your fingers it will be a positive move for FoA.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Kamshaaft

Whatever happens, I just hope it doesn't involve imported cars.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

As we may already know, Ford expect a solid profit in 2011 (about the same time they'll make that "decision" on Falcon).

The project which is at the top of their list when that comes to fruition willbe GRWD. This is good news, and a pie in the face to the unedumecated journos who day-in day-out have proven to report with inaccuracy when it comes to forecasting future plans and developments.

They say "we'll be making a decision in 12-18 months time"; there's no doubt things change, even from day to day, but as I said, GRWD is very high on their agenda.

And guess where the centre of excellence for Ford's RWD is?
Old 13-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #8
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This whole 'the end of the Falcon is nigh" caper reminds me of a certain, rumoured to be on purpose, mis-statement by Ford to the media when details of the 2011 Mustang were released -

On the Monday the press spec sheet said that 5.0 Mustang would weigh in at 1761kg, and the crowd went wild - the Mustang was going to be a porker, advantage neutralised! On the Wednesday, Ford re-released the spec sheet admitting that there had been a mis-print. The Mustang would come in at 1630kg.

I believe that Ford may be perfecting the art of the 'sucker punch'. Let people think you're doing one thing then BAM hit them with something they didn't see coming.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but there have been enough snippets on these forums to give me confidence

"Torque is the new horsepower"

Last edited by Chilliman; 13-01-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #9
Kamshaaft

One can do nothng more at this stage than sit here with our fingers crossed under our bums that the Falcon won't be going away.
Old 13-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
And guess where the centre of excellence for Ford's RWD is?
Unless theyve lifted their game, its certainly not the guys who took $1.5B to engineer a product with a Focus front end and a live axle rear, and later admitted they couldve developed an IRS at a cost of around $200-300 per car.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Unless theyve lifted their game, its certainly not the guys who took $1.5B to engineer a product with a Focus front end and a live axle rear, and later admitted they couldve developed an IRS at a cost of around $200-300 per car.
Ford itself has admitted it stuffed that one up.... Part of the reason why this time around i think they will give Ford Aus a fair hearing on the whole GRWD/Mustang/Falcon situation. Not saying they will be identical, but given Control Blade IRS we use in Falcon now was not really designed for RWD cars to start with, and Ford itself has admitted it is an 'older style design' then some competitors (but still very good and affordable to build) i think Falcon/Mustang will share an IRS setup in the longer term.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #12
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Maybe a return to the DEW inspired double wishbone setup?
Old 13-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
This whole 'the end of the Falcon is nigh" caper reminds me of a certain, rumoured to be on purpose, mis-statement by Ford to the media when details of the 2011 Mustang were released -

On the Monday the press spec sheet said that 5.0 Mustang would weigh in at 1761kg, and the crowd went wild - the Mustang was going to be a porker, advantage neutralised! On the Wednesday, Ford re-released the spec sheet admitting that there had been a mis-print. The Mustang would come in at 1630kg.

I believe that Ford may be perfecting the art of the 'sucker punch'. Let people think you're doing one thing then BAM hit them with something they didn't see coming.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but there have been enough snippets on these forums to give me confidence
Well Ford need to come out swinging against these media reports, because they have circled the country like wildfire and will be putting people off buying them. This debacle has the potential to cripple the FG's sales without waiting for the lifecycle of the platform to arrive in 5 years. So far all we have heard from Broadmeadows is silence.

Back to GRWD, I would imagine that the FG's front end would be a front runner for a new platform surely?

Old 13-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #14
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

Back to GRWD, I would imagine that the FG's front end would be a front runner for a new platform surely?
One would assume so. Unless cost of the all aluminium front end scared Ford off. Even so, you could make it out of steel if you wanted. Alot of advanced ford desigin in that front end, from research done by Ford globally. So i would say it would be used in some form by other vehicles eventually....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like they landed that 'sucker punch' this morning :

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Confirmation is still scant on the ground though.

I would imagine any GRWD would do away with the Falcon's Control Blade IRS? The Mustang will need an IRS far more compact than the CB for its low rear floorpan.

Old 13-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Keep in mind the Mustang did have IRS...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last Mustang IRS was a double wishbone setup. Im not sure if it had any similarity to the AU IRS though. Both setups were designed to fit into the space also occupied by a live axle though.
Old 13-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
What have I missed?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
What have I missed?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...4&page=1&pp=25
Old 13-01-2010, 08:41 PM   #21
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Thanks, but I found it after I posted. :
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I think the term 'falcon punch' is more appropriate.

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 13-01-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 13-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #23
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude

To me that means that an announcement is iminent. I have no idea what that may be. There are guys on here that know more than they are letting on. Hang on for the ride. Cross your fingers it will be a positive move for FoA.
just reminding people that i said that the announcement was iminent.
5h17 im good!
Old 14-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The switch from the trusty I6 to the global V6 will more than likely bring about some changes to the bulkheads and firewall won't it?

And also, GRWD means use of the corporate transmissions which means: no more ZF. This may also mean a trans tunnel and floorpan redesign.

Old 14-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
The switch from the trusty I6 to the global V6 will more than likely bring about some changes to the bulkheads and firewall won't it?

And also, GRWD means use of the corporate transmissions which means: no more ZF. This may also mean a trans tunnel and floorpan redesign.
And a whole new waist line.
Old 14-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #26
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Unfortunately the fact that GRWD is going ahead would most likely mean that the I6's days are numbered. Its a big price to pay to keep our beloved falcon - A small price to pay to keep local manufacturing going.
Old 15-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
And a whole new waist line.
I would imagine that the bulkheads and firewall will be higher and whatnot to account for the global V6 but the waistline would vary according to the top hat used on the platform. The difference between the Mustang and Falcon would be particularly acute.

And yes, it will be bye bye for the I6. At least 2015 gives me enough time to save my pennies for one of the last XR6 Turbos.

Old 15-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #28
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:

Not necessarily. Ford and ZF developed the PowerShift dual clutch gearbox together in North America. Although, I understand, Ford has taken over the running of the operation.

In fact, there is some information (speculative only) in the poorly titled XR8 threatened article (contradicted in the article) by Burela.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0115-mb3u.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive
A Drive source at the Detroit show said the six-speed auto can be expected to spread throughout the Falcon range, including ute and Territory, but not the wagon that's set for the graveyard or the diesel Territory. Supply of the four- and five-speed autos used on lower-spec Falcons and RWD Territorys is believed to be coming to an end.

It's possible Ford could eventually offer an optional eight-speed auto on its local models, which would bring fuel consumption benefits with its extra ratios. The new auto from ZF is fitted to some of the latest BMWs, including the 5-Series GT.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #29
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ZF didn't develop fords powershift gearbox was another german gearbox maker getrag. But what I have read about the gearbox it seams to be a pretty good box. I'll be very happy to have it in my falcon.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #30
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Isn't the PowerShift trans a FWD auto???