Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2024, 05:46 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFACTS April 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
My parentage was not of Ford origin, but of Holden, so don't ask me how or why I landed in the blue camp. My father owned a number of Holden's, although none after I was born. He has always been adamant that the 186 was the best 6-cylinder engine they made, in particular the specific balance between capacity/ability to rev, and how they responded to modifications.
Agree, grew up with Holden 6's and the 186 was held in higher regard than my red 173 and 202s. Apparently 202s would burn out valves out in the tropics - still quite robust though. Base 186 is a joy, a bit of torque down low (peak 1600 revs) and it can get up and go along for us Grampa Sports enthusiasts. Very tuneable, I could probably still adjust the carby and distributor in my sleep. Would love to try a 186S or 186 X2 to see what they are like.

For the more recent era I like their ecotec, but without being a mechanic I'd be stuffed trying to replace that timing sensor thingy on the side of the highway.

If I had the space:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...17227521/?Cr=0

Do you have space for that wags Franco?