Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #7231
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Interesting presser this morning. I don't think a 24hr wait is really that much of a problem after so many months of lock down. Apparently some business leaders are reporting that that every day of lock down results in "thousands of jobs" being lost, is there actually any evidence of this? Are businesses laying off thousands of staff every single day?
You will most likely have a better picture of this by next Easter when all Federal & State governments handout have ceased and hopefully no more lockdowns.
Then you will see the true results emerging from this mess.
This user likes this post:
Old 25-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #7232
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The headlines keep rolling in...

‘Beyond a joke’: Melbourne erupts at news

Nine cases keeping restrictions in place (see the nice twist of facts there?)

'Inhumane': Exasperated retailers face more uncertainty

'Now we are crushed': Neil Mitchell's take on Melbourne restrictions

Well, over 1000 tests processed so far and all have come back negative. If they all come back negative, or the cases are all traceable and contained, and the gov eases restrictions in the next day or two, then what?

Will there be headlines like "Victoria successfully contains northern suburb outbreak" or "Victoria's "gold standard" tracing team allows easing of restrictions"?

The road map has always been 2nd of Nov (or 11:59 1st Nov to be exact) for next steps, funny how "journalists" conveniently forget that. Today was supposed to be an early ann if the conditions allowed it. It didn't. Hopefully we can still meet 2nd Nov target.
4 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #7233
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Fellow Melbournians/Victorians, stand tall and proud. We have been labelled many a derogatory term over the last few months by the rest of Australia - due to our COVID situation. Anytime the rest of Australia get an opportunity to put us down, they will, and they have.

But..., never fear. We are CHAMPIONS. We are the best, even when we are down and out, being disadvantaged, being away from home, it doesn't matter. We are winners. Top of the charts baby!

As was proven by, the Melbourne Vixens, who won the 2020 Netball championship a week ago. Well done girls!

We had TWO Melbourne teams in the AFL Grand final, with Melbourne's own Richmond Tigers winning the 2020 AFL Premiership yesterday!

And today, we also take home the 2020 NRL Premiership, with the Melbourne Strom beating the living daylights out of the Penrith Panthers!

Melbourne is, the best city in Aus, and Victoria is, the best state in Aus!

Sing it loud boys and girls, WEEEE are the champions, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS...

Last edited by Tickford.; 25-10-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 25-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #7234
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Interesting all the Right politicians, business leaders, industry leaders and some media demanding the reopening of Victoria. Will they put their hands up to take responsibility if Andrews opens early and we get a 3rd wave - HELL NO!!! they will run for cover. They just need to shut the **** up

Andrews did comment this morning about all these 'health experts' making comment - he said 'they are outside the tent', they have no idea what is going on inside the tent" or words to that effect - so he is also saying that they should shut the **** up
The same left leaning folk looking at blaming someone else if the virus breaks out are the same people who refuse to take responsibility for their own health, rather, believe the government is responsible for looking after their health and want to blame businesses for the spread of a virus?

You can't make this stuff up.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #7235
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
The same left leaning folk looking at blaming someone else if the virus breaks out are the same people who refuse to take responsibility for their own health, rather, believe the government is responsible for looking after their health and want to blame businesses for the spread of a virus?

You can't make this stuff up.
You just did....
Old 26-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #7236
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I think that was Sutto Trev, but I agree, they do look and sound alike.
sorry, yeah it was Brett Sutton, I was going on what my wife said as she watched and I may not have been paying 100% attention when she was speaking

Quote:
Meanwhile, here's Andrews' own Kevin Rudd/Tony Abbott

Jenny Mikakos accuses Daniel Andrews of 'paralysis' as Melbourne's coronavirus reopening announcement is postponed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...tions/12811188
you can always tell the guilty, when they keep blaming everyone else for their ****-ups when they should be gone
Old 26-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #7237
Trevor 57
is now there

I am getting exasperated listening to the 'industry' leaders and people banging on, are they going to put their hand up to take responsibility if they force Andrews to open up early and we get a 3rd wave - of course, they just need to shut the **** up

I am so sick of the media, giving 'opinions in new conferences rather than asking questions and then reporting news. I didn't see it, but I heard that Andrews called them out for doing it yesterday - if he did - good on him

Who the **** do these ****ers think they are, just reporting the FACTS you ****ing tools
Old 26-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #7238
Trevor 57
is now there

A couple of things that this pandemic has taught us

* The States have more powers than most Australians thought they did.
* ScoMo & Co can bully, recruit others to bully, gob-off all they want but they are pretty powerless when it comes to State affairs
* The majority of the media are just headline grabbing scum-bags who will do anything to get you to watch/read their bull-****
* Media employ idiots who wouldn't know a good story if it bit them on the ****, they are too busy being personally involved and having their say
Old 26-10-2020, 08:23 AM   #7239
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Fellow Melbournians/Victorians, stand tall and proud. We have been labelled many a derogatory term over the last few months by the rest of Australia - due to our COVID situation. Anytime the rest of Australia get an opportunity to put us down, they will, and they have.

But..., never fear. We are CHAMPIONS. We are the best, even when we are down and out, being disadvantaged, being away from home, it doesn't matter. We are winners. Top of the charts baby!

As was proven by, the Melbourne Vixens, who won the 2020 Netball championship a week ago. Well done girls!

We had TWO Melbourne teams in the AFL Grand final, with Melbourne's own Richmond Tigers winning the 2020 AFL Premiership yesterday!

And today, we also take home the 2020 NRL Premiership, with the Melbourne Strom beating the living daylights out of the Penrith Panthers!

Melbourne is, the best city in Aus, and Victoria is, the best state in Aus!

Sing it loud boys and girls, WEEEE are the champions, WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS...

Yeah but they had to leave Melbourne for months to be able to do it.

On a more serious note, I would hate to be in Melbourne's shoes at the moment.
Old 26-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #7240
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
you can always tell the guilty, when they keep blaming everyone else for their ****-ups when they should be gone
She ran Andrew's line for him, loyally following her leader. Then when it went pear shaped, he cut her loose and let her take the fall.

Yeah, he is a quality bloke.

The first bit of truth we saw was after he let her take the rap.

It is so clear, but none are so blind as they who will not see.

8 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #7241
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
She ran Andrew's line for him, loyally following her leader. Then when it went pear shaped, he cut her loose and let her take the fall.

^^ This. I wonder how everyone will feel about Sutto if/when he gets cut loose as well and starts to dish the dirt?
Old 26-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #7242
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post

These people are quite happy to take the kudos when it is being handed out but go missing when the noose tightens.

Tell me one boss in Australia that wouldn't want get rid of an under-performing manager. He did what all senior managers should do, get rid of managers people not up to their job.

If you think politics or governments should be any different from business then it is you that has the problem, not Andrews.

He is making people accountable, and she couldn't deal with it - it says more about her than it does him

It would be far better if more political leaders got rid of incompetents rather than covering their backs all the time - surely you must get sick of political leaders covering up up for **** performers, or are you happy to have under-performers in key government roles?
Old 26-10-2020, 09:22 AM   #7243
Trevor 57
is now there

Health Minister - gone

Police Commissioner - gone

Government Chief of Staff - gone

If you can't see where the weaknesses were in the hotel quarantine then you can't see the obvious
Old 26-10-2020, 09:42 AM   #7244
Trevor 57
is now there

Victoria - 0 new cases, 0 deaths

what you say now all you nay-sayers? Where is NSW, the 'gold-star performer'?
Old 26-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #7245
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Victoria - 0 new cases, 0 deaths

what you say now all you nay-sayers? Where is NSW, the 'gold-star performer'?
Ummm. Not under lock-down?
7 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #7246
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Ummm. Not under lock-down?
umm, not had a 2nd wave/outbreak but like to crow about how ****ing good they are and get ScoMo & Co to crow for them as well

How about comparing apples with apples

My post was meant to be sarcastic and I succeeded

Last edited by Trevor 57; 26-10-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 26-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #7247
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

It would be far better if more political leaders got rid of incompetents rather than covering their backs all the time - surely you must get sick of political leaders covering up up for **** performers, or are you happy to have under-performers in key government roles?
No - I don't want any under performers.

Selecting competent performers in the most critical positions is the most important thing about being Premier.

Thanks for making the most telling comment about Daniel Andrews. Although I disagree with you.

He shouldn't sack himself, he just needs to make better decisions, I do not want a revolving door of leaders.

Old 26-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #7248
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Health Minister - gone

Police Commissioner - gone

Government Chief of Staff - gone

If you can't see where the weaknesses were in the hotel quarantine then you can't see the obvious
The former Chief commissioners retirement was scheduled at the end of his tenure and announced in May, before restrictions had even fully relaxed from initial restrictions.

Sutton will be the next to go under the enquiry bus and he won’t be the last.
Old 26-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #7249
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
wow, do you have any other insightful comments - or is that the best you have?
no i have plenty more to say, just trying to stay within the standards set by admin
Old 26-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #7250
Trevor 57
is now there

Well this is the place to say it, but please don't do the same old 'we hate Dan' mantra, it has been done to death already

And if you want to manage the outbreak differently, are you prepared to put your hand up and take responsibility for the outcome?
Old 26-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #7251
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Well this is the place to say it, but please don't do the same old 'we hate Dan' mantra, it has been done to death already

And if you want to manage the outbreak differently, are you prepared to put your hand up and take responsibility for the outcome?
In a simple comment governments should be putting more resources and effort in nursing homes and hospitals to look after the elderly and sick who is predominately effected by this virus, better equipment, money and training for the workers who look after these people, better advertising education through media to the migrant population, lockdowns alone is not the answer.
Going by WHO Victoria should not be in lockdown, FFS we are no where near any pandemic conditions in Australia compared to rest of the world (thankfully).
You take away the nursing home & hotel quarantine debacle then you would have found Victoria would have been in a better position with rest of Australia.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #7252
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
In a simple comment governments should be putting more resources and effort in nursing homes and hospitals to look after the elderly and sick who is predominately effected by this virus, better equipment, money and training for the workers who look after these people, better advertising education through media to the migrant population, lockdowns alone is not the answer.
Going by WHO Victoria should not be in lockdown, FFS we are no where near any pandemic conditions in Australia compared to rest of the world (thankfully).
You take away the nursing home & hotel quarantine debacle then you would have found Victoria would have been in a better position with rest of Australia.
This is where I am confused. Isn't age care a federal responsibility?
Old 26-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #7253
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
We were heading into pandemic grounds, but thankfully some tough decisions were made and this was averted

I too live in Victoria, albeit regionally and I am well and truly over being locked down, don't think I am enjoying this

But I do sympathise with the decisions, but I think we are ready to move on based on the numbers. I do understand the hesitance, remember it was ONE person that put us into lock-down, it was spreading like wildfire - we missed a bullet here where I live, but the potential is still there and is what concerns Sutton et el
Old 26-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #7254
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
yes, Andrews had to step in here to save peoples lives because the Feds dropped the ball, in fact I don't think they ever picked it up, but you will NEVER hear a thanks from ScoMo & Co
Old 26-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #7255
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Ultimately yes as I did mention the word governments but what I find outstanding in all of this is the lack of cooperation between all States and Feds, each state running their own agenda.
When you think of all the Health professionals in Australia not being able to come together in a unified approach is dreadful.
Politics is being played over Health which I think is disgusting and all politicians from states to feds from all political persuasion should hang their heads in shame.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 01:04 PM   #7256
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT October 25th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting except for the Victorian 14 day moving averages.

14 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.289% while active cases rise to 1,427. NSW recorded 7 cases, WA 3, SA 4 cases with the balance in Victoria.

The Victorian State 14 day moving average is down to 4.14 with metro falling to 3.6 (7 unknown) and regional still at 0.2 with no unknown cases (including today). Victoria reported no new cases for the last 24 hours.

1 new case and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.292% and active cases drop to 70.

The UK had a lower 19,790 new cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 151 deaths.

Just under 80k new cases in the USA yesterday and 784 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.606% and active cases up to 32.4% with the raw numbers rising and now over 2.8M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
It's the weekend so case numbers should be down a bit today -

Global cases pass 43M with the last 1M taking only 2 days;
Asia passes 13M cases;
Europe passes 0.25M deaths;

The USA completes 133M, India 102M and Russia 57M tests;

Angola (355)
Lithuania (606) - now 5 days in a row and 28% up on yesterday
North Macedonia (647)
Denmark (945)
Azerbaijan (946)
Libya (1,639)
Croatia (2,421) -
now 5 days in a row
Slovakia (3,042)
Hungary (3,149)
- 52% up on the previous high
Iran (6,191)
Netherlands (10,202)
Belgium (17,709)
Italy (21,273)
- now 5 days in a row; and
France (52,010) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 01:33 PM   #7257
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
We were heading into pandemic grounds, but thankfully some tough decisions were made and this was averted

I too live in Victoria, albeit regionally and I am well and truly over being locked down, don't think I am enjoying this

But I do sympathise with the decisions, but I think we are ready to move on based on the numbers. I do understand the hesitance, remember it was ONE person that put us into lock-down, it was spreading like wildfire - we missed a bullet here where I live, but the potential is still there and is what concerns Sutton et el
Trevor try actually living in Melbourne CBD & suburbs then you will know the true effects how restrictive this lockdown is effecting everyone here.
In the last four weeks I've seen many people becoming very frustrated for many various reasons and not surprised as what you see going on in the media.
I must confess even my patience is starting to wain; be interesting with what stats were collected from treating physicians with peoples mental wellbeing in all of this, I guess not a pretty picture.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 01:47 PM   #7258
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Trevor try actually living in Melbourne CBD & suburbs then you will know the true effects how restrictive this lockdown is effecting everyone here.
In the last four weeks I've seen many people becoming very frustrated for many various reasons and not surprised as what you see going on in the media.
I must confess even my patience is starting to wain; be interesting with what stats were collected from treating physicians with peoples mental wellbeing in all of this, I guess not a pretty picture.
we rarely go out due to my wife's illness, so whilst not forced to be home we are doing it by choice

and please don't try to tell me that suicide deaths are up coz they aren't, and yes a lot more people are seeking help with the stress of living through this, and truthfully people would seek help due to the stress of the illness regardless of being locked down or not
Old 26-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #7259
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny, I live in said place. At this stage, it is one of the most liberal, yet draconian, lock down I've seen. People are out, cars are out, you are allowed to be out to exercise with NO time limits. 25kms is a pretty decent radius to travel in the midst of a pandemic, under "full" lock down. You can meet a friend outside. Food shops are opened for takeaway, hardware shops and some retailers are opened for click and collect, even mechanics are operational for the general public.

Yes, small retailers, that can only operate with people gathered indoors, are closed and feeling the pain, but it is a necessary evil to combat this disease. Having said that, the northern suburbs results are looking good, and will allow some easing announcements either today or tomorrow.

The media has a lot to answer for with the mental illness side of things. The hourly negativity and sometimes false and twisted narratives is contributing to the issue. In some outlets, I'd go as far as to say they are trying to "incite" unrest. IMHO.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #7260
Trevor 57
is now there

just saw this and thought I would share a point of view lol