Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #7051
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT October 18th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting except for the Victorian 14 day moving averages.

8 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.300% while active cases drop to 1,379. NSW recorded 5 cases, WA 3 & SA 2 cases with the balance in Victoria.

The Victorian State 14 day moving average is down to 8.43 with metro falling to 7.2 (15 unknown) and regional at 0.5 with no unknown cases (including today). Victoria reported 4 new cases for the last 24 hours.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.326% and active cases fall to 42.

The UK had a slightly higher 16,981 new cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 67 deaths.

Just over 54.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 638 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.688% and active cases remain at 32.2% with the raw numbers rising and still over 2.6M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 40M with the last 1M taking 3 days again;
Europe passes 7M cases;
South America passes 9M cases;
North America passes 10M cases;
The USA completes 125M and India 94M tests;

Azerbaijan (647) - the previous high on June 6th
Malaysia (871)
Armenia (1,694)
Netherlands (8,182)
Belgium (10,964)
Italy (11,705) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #7052
tweeked
N/A all the way

We are going to have to change it slightly soon...to....."with the balance in NSW"

Old 19-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #7053
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by “RussellW”
“8 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.300% while active cases drop to 1,379. NSW recorded 5 cases, WA 3 & SA 2 cases with the balance in Victoria.”
Hi mate, you may have explained this, or maybe I’m simple, but you say 8 cases, but what you have there adds up to 10. What am I missing?
Old 19-10-2020, 08:25 PM   #7054
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WA just had a ship with 1 case turn in to 22 cases in just hrs

and with the NZ'ders going in to quarantine also , they told scomo this full amount comes off of the number of what he wanted WA to help with in returning aussies

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 19-10-2020, 08:58 PM   #7055
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They released the virus on us (happens every election year) and we wear masks that not only don't work but are made from the same country.
Old 19-10-2020, 09:46 PM   #7056
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
They released the virus on us (happens every election year) and we wear masks that not only don't work but are made from the same country.
We would know who 'us' is if you put where you are under the join date on the left.
Old 19-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #7057
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Malaria Trump released a note on her Covid experience a few day ago.
She did not take any of the bulls**t cocktail of medication her deranged husband(?) had ingested.

"I chose to go a more natural route in terms of medicine, opting more for vitamins and healthy food."

Vitamins, and healthy food.

The end.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/...ence-covid-19/

This user likes this post:
Old 19-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #7058
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
We would know who 'us' is if you put where you are under the join date on the left.
Current Location: White House, Lewinsky position.
Old 19-10-2020, 11:09 PM   #7059
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The big man spoke to us in code and we all missed it. It was a "blessing from god" he said. Think about that for a minute.
Old 20-10-2020, 01:48 AM   #7060
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Darling daughter who lives in Gisborne sent me this...
She is absolutely livid with Dan’s ongoing crap! (As I get the feeling, a lot of Victorians are!)

CURRENT ACTIVE CASES IN VICTORIA
METRO - 101
REGIONAL - 7
=
0.00002061%
OF THE METRO POPULATION
0.00000467%
OF THE REGIONAL POPULATION
CURRENTLY INFECTED

YET WE ARE STILL IN SOME FORM OF LOCKDOWN AND THE
“RING OF STEEL”
HAS BEEN STRENGTHENED?!

STAY SAFE OUT THERE 🙄

WHAT A JOKE
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
6 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 06:22 AM   #7061
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There’s been a subtle shift in focus from hospitalisations, severe cases and death simply to gross case numbers. I believe it’s shifting to suit the “1km/h over can be fatal” mindset within Victorian government.

Amazing there was no interest from authorities in training people displaced from other work, to fill basic hospital duties and relieve or augment staff in the event of greatly increased rates of serious illness.
Old 20-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #7062
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Amazing there was no interest from authorities in training people displaced from other work, to fill basic hospital duties and relieve or augment staff in the event of greatly increased rates of serious illness.
Putting unqualified people in roles to perform various tasks during a pandemic is largely what got us into this mess in the first place. Everyone is having to figure out what to do as we go, authorities and government officials included and some of them are probably going to **** some things up and others are going to be done well. There's no playbook, our country doesn't have practise with this kind of thing from ebola and the likes so we all just have to do our best and make what of what worked and what didn't.

I get that it's normal for people to feel some kinda way about this but can we all just drop the outrage? It's not really helpful to anyone. It almost seems to be australian culture to loudly criticise every.single.attempt that anyone makes and use it as a means to say the other guy would be better elected. It's a pandemic, why make it about politics. Feel free to make people accountable after the fact but for now we're stuck with what we've got.

Chances are that after this there will be discussions and procedures developed so that if it ever happens again we'll be better prepared with a plan of attack but for now we're all stuck sitting in the same boat together.

5 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #7063
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m not talking about putting unqualified people anywhere in the health or welfare systems. I’m saying to qualify more people, possibly by virtue of new categories, allow others to train up, and introduce them as augments to an overstretched workforce.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #7064
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing how psychology works. During lock down, for months on end, you had thousands of people in Melb whining and screaming, "let us out" "we want our freedom" ra ra ra. Yesterday was the first day of the 25km rule and unlimited exercise time. Took full advantage, and noticed there were very few people out and about in several locations. In fact, the tan at 7pm was less busy than pre pandemic. I guess its back to normal and people can go back to spending time on instagram and snapchat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m not talking about putting unqualified people anywhere in the health or welfare systems. I’m saying to qualify more people, possibly by virtue of new categories, allow others to train up, and introduce them as augments to an overstretched workforce.
I think they tried this in the UK. 10m people volunteered to help at the height of the 1st wave. Not sure if and how they were used. I think some were used to help deliver essentials to vulnerable groups, that was about the extent of it. From what I'm hearing, our resources were never overstretched, just a series of unfortunate events / failures that led to the outbreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Darling daughter who lives in Gisborne sent me this...
She is absolutely livid with Dan’s ongoing crap! (As I get the feeling, a lot of Victorians are!)
The Vic gov may have been inclined to take a bigger risk if they had an inch of support from the Feds and/or media. Instead they keep getting stones thrown at them for every single step they take and every word they mutter. The support from the public seems to be waning somewhat, but there is still a significant portion of Vics that support the response, if you can trust the news polls.
Old 20-10-2020, 08:46 AM   #7065
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Chances are that after this there will be discussions and procedures developed so that if it ever happens again we'll be better prepared with a plan of attack but for now we're all stuck sitting in the same boat together.
You want to wait until "after thi"s? "this" has been going for nine months and likely to go for another year. You want everyone to sit quietly while those in decision making positions cant even remember who did what, and no one made a decision, and it all went belly up.

It is proven in other states that a competent government can make this work, Vic does not have one. Sutton is book smart, street dumb. Andrews won't change an incorrect decision when he finds out it is wrong, just parrots out "the science, the data" ad an irrelevant answer when found out (his ludicrous reasoning for stopping gardeners who work along and never come into contact with anyone is an example)

No, your hide under a rug, hold hands (sorry, not hold hands) and wait it out mentality is just as scary as the virus. Your acceptance of failure without consequence is more dangerous than the virus.

And this includes the Federal Health Minister, he is in the same boat if you think this is a Labor/Liberal thing.

It also includes the health professionals, who peddled a lie at the start that apparently masks were a bad thing, just to keep them for themselves, despite them being used for a hundred years, then changing their minds when it got serious. I just want accountable government.

Old 20-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #7066
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Why Victoria can't start patting itself on the back just yet.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/sydn...19-p566ic.html
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #7067
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The Gregorian calendar is so pervasive it really does affect (distort) some perceptions. I’m going to reassert that in the minds of many, this current illness will be sorted “if we can make it to the end of the year” - as if Santa will bring a fabulous vaccine or midnight liturgy will drive the virus off the earth’s corners.

Im thinking ahead to the poor staff in full PPE running drive-through testing under shade shelters when it’s 39° in February and infection rates are spiking yet again.

Any notion of a nationally unified approach was lost when celebrities got exemptions to quarantine of varying degrees, the sheer farce/double standard of the AFL competition and Gutwein’s cronyism on the projects in Hobart, the near indescribable offence of massive cost creep on the tracking app, the mandation of overt physical quarantine measures when technology exists to turn many people around faster (via now quicker testing) and use personal tracking hardware for lower quarantine costs…

And now we have several state governments basically creating a new category of quarantine bureaucracy where there’s no demonstrated need for it - eg, Victorians entering NSW having to undergo full isolation and monitoring despite the state carrying less infected parties than NSW at present. It’s a flaming picnic for those who get their rocks off by sowing seeds of division.
Old 20-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #7068
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Current Location: White House, Lewinsky position.
You're sad little fella with your personal attacks! obvious probs in your life... sorry for what drives you.
7 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #7069
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
It is proven in other states that a competent government can make this work, Vic does not have one.
Yep, and the horse has already bolted, so to speak. Your state is already riddled with infection, it needed that china-style lockdown because your leadership failed to show any real leadership.

Screaming about it now isn't going to do you much good, the damage has already been done. The best chance any of you had was to bunker down to keep yourself safe as best you could to weather out the storm. I'm not sure when it's safe to come back out but while there's still unknown community transmission you still have a problem that can change direction for the worse quite fast.

Quote:
It also includes the health professionals, who peddled a lie at the start that apparently masks were a bad thing, just to keep them for themselves, despite them being used for a hundred years, then changing their minds when it got serious. I just want accountable government.
Yeah it was probably a lie but what was the alternative? Have the general public start hoarding masks for themselves like they did with toilet paper? You know it'd happen. Have you considered what may have happened to our healthcare system if that had happened? Other countries around the world experienced such high numbers of death because their hospitals got overwhelmed and they couldn't treat the sheer numbers of patients that got sick.

That leads to other people dying from conditions that they would normally survive with treatment. How many of our cancer patients wouldn't be able to get treatment? How many dialysis patients? People who get septic? What about people who experience appendicitis? There's noone left to do the surgery so he/she dies from it. Heart patients? Do you think the guy who didn't have coronavirus but just had a heart attack and needs a stent would get that stent, or do you think he'd be left to die? In many countries sick people got triaged based on their life expectancy because there weren't enough health professionals to treat the numbers of people who needed help, so the young took preference over the old, the healthier over the unhealthy. Heart attacks weren't treated at all, strokes same deal.. people were just left to die because they couldn't be treated at the time. How would you feel if it was someone from your family who died from a treatable condition because there was noone to help them? Your wife? Bitten by a snake by her morning walk but no paramedics available and no quick way to get antivenom?

Not only would hospitals have been overrun by patients that they couldn't provide care for but the healthcare workers themselves would have gotten sick because they couldn't get adequate protection to while treating infected patients.

That'd lead on to 1) them infecting other patients who then go and give it to their families, becoming a bigger source of infection and 2) having to go into quarantine, further reducing the number of staff who would have carried the country if our outbreak had been as big as other countries.

It's easy to be angry about being lied to about masks but can you foresee what probably would the outcome if it hadn't happened? Other countries have had that exact thing occur so it's not an unreasonable opinion.

It's already predicted that we'll have more death in the coming years because people who normally would have had health checkups this year didn't get checkups, so their illnesses won't have been identified. People with melanoma who.. rather than it being now cut out early.. will be spreading further into their body and probably be less treatable by the time it is discovered.

Now we know we need a big/bigger stash of PPE for the country and that we can't rely on foreign trade during a pandemic so that'll probably happen and next time we'll be better prepared.

I'd like accountable government too. I'd like a government who doesn't bend over to let foreign investment destroy the housing industry just to line their own pockets and that of the population who were old enough at the time to have jumped on the bandwagon. Nevermind the generations to come whose lives they must have known would be ruined. So now we have a government who have no desire to represent the interests of the young people because they're incentivised to do the exact opposite by way of their own financial gain and so are half the population whose only achievement was to be old enough to buy into it. There was no effort required on their part, no skill, no hard work to hold up as a respectable reason why they should get such rewards... just buy up limited resources and wait for the lack of supply to increase the value of the resources they hoarded.

Last edited by leesa; 20-10-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Old 20-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #7070
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do people honestly think health professionals in this country would lie on a large scale at the expense of the general population's health? When did this kind of thinking start? Madness. We never had a mask shortage (if you believe our ministers, both local and federal), it seems like the distribution process was the problem. My NHS mate was telling me at one stage that masks were a health hazard because you breathed in your own CO2....was he ill informed or trying to kill me?

I'll tell you what we had a shortage of at one stage, sanitisers. Did health professionals tell people sanitisers were ineffective? No, they just asked people not to hoard it. Government also limited the distribution to the public so health professionals and essential services could access it.
5 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #7071
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
BREAKING NEWS: The rogue New Zealand travellers have been spotted in a field east of Melbourne.

You were closer to the truth than you thought. Seems that most of the Kiwi's that landed in Melb were Shearers. Who are badly needed at this time of year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...earer/12782506
Old 20-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #7072
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Do people honestly think health professionals in this country would lie on a large scale at the expense of the general population's health? When did this kind of thinking start? Madness.
To some people it probably does feel like a lie. Some people don't care about the greater good, if it doesn't serve their own personal circumstances then they think they're being thrown under the bus. Every man for themselves I guess? Isn't that how people are being raised these days? I really hope that a sense of community comes back after the pandemic.

2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 02:30 PM   #7073
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT October 19th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting except for the Victorian 14 day moving averages.

8 new cases for Australia and 1 death so the CMR rises to 3.303% while active cases rise to 1,383. NSW recorded 4 cases with the balance in Victoria.

The Victorian State 14 day moving average is down to 7.43 with metro falling to 6.4 (13 unknown) and regional at 0.4 with no unknown cases (including today). Victoria reported 1 new case for the last 24 hours.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.326% and active cases fall to 37.

The UK had a higher 18,803 new cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 80 deaths.

Just over 55k new cases in the USA yesterday and 492 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.676% and active cases rise to 32.3% with the raw numbers rising and now over 2.7M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Spain and Argentina pass 1M cases;
Europe set a new daily case high of 154,371 (17/10);
The USA completes 126M,
India 95M, Russia 54M, UK 29M, Spain 15M, Belgium & Poland 4M tests;

Albania (295)
Bulgaria (1,024) and
Russia (15,982) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #7074
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny
Hi mate, you may have explained this, or maybe I’m simple, but you say 8 cases, but what you have there adds up to 10. What am I missing?
Timing differences. I get most of my data from a set that looks at 24 hour periods that end at midnight GMT which is where the AU 'daily' total comes from. The State based data comes from a local source that uses a different time frame so there are nearly always differences in the total.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 20-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #7075
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Data valid as at 23:59 GMT October 19th, 2020.

8 new cases for Australia and 1 death so the CMR rises to 3.303% while active cases rise to 1,383. NSW recorded 4 cases with the balance in Victoria.

The Victorian State 14 day moving average is down to 7.43 with metro falling to 6.4 (13 unknown) and regional at 0.4 with no unknown cases (including today). Victoria reported 1 new case for the last 24 hours.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.326% and active cases fall to 37.

The UK had a higher 18,803 new cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 80 deaths.

Just over 55k new cases in the USA yesterday and 492 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.676% and active cases rise to 32.3% with the raw numbers rising and now over 2.7M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Spain and Argentina pass 1M cases;
Europe set a new daily case high of 154,371 (17/10);
The USA completes 126M,
India 95M, Russia 54M, UK 29M, Spain 15M, Belgium & Poland 4M tests;

Albania (295)
Bulgaria (1,024) and
Russia (15,982) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.
How's the global daily new cases figure trending, Russ? Have we started to see an easing in those figures yet?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 20-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #7076
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post

Yeah it was probably a lie but what was the alternative?
So you are telling me the health industry, with all of these really smart heath professionals with all of their contacts, their education, their degrees etc, could not "out purchase" all of the general population jumping on EBAY or queuing at Aldi........

Really?

Pretty sure that they get their products from somewhere else. A smart government , with smart decisions from a clever Chief Health Officer would requisition all of the surgical quality masks available.

They could then just say to the public cover your face with a scarf / bandana or purchase non surgical face coverings. Every garment manufacturer paid to make non surgical masks. This is not a new idea, it is what you do in wartime - and we are, just a different enemy. You just say "get over it"

No - they have to be held to account, learn from their mistakes and not screw it up again next time, because it looks like the 2nd winter is worse with this thing.

Old 20-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #7077
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First time in a while that Russels summary at the bottom of his posts does not include a bunch of red and blue country names.

World daily case number hit a high only a day or so ago FGX5.0
Old 20-10-2020, 08:21 PM   #7078
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #7079
prydey
Rob

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...9-ce441a26850a

Victoria

You can't make this stuff up
Old 20-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #7080
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I was appalled to read that (think the story breasted mainstream news yesterday evening). Would have thought basic training in some devices and remedies went with the job.
Closed Thread