Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default How to: Install rear courtesy light

This is a job that I completed today and thought I would share with others. Once you obtain the globe holder from a wrecker as ford is well expensive, it's an enjoyable mod to have providing you have the ignition barrel courtesy light. Please post any questions/feedback/complaints regarding this tutorial if you would like to Enjoy!!
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage or problems that may arise from you following the tutorial. It's merely a guide that I wanted to share after completing the task myself today.

How to: Install rear courtesy light
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=72

AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Nice work!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Nice work!

GK
As always, a man of few words (but accurate )
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

cool needed to see that as i got one for my au.

thanks mate.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good write up mate. IF your adding more than one light to the factory wiring i suggest using a relay so it doesn't load up the BEM so much.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How ironic. I have just started doing this today. I have soldered up a complete loom for the footwell courtesy lights as well as the rear one in the back of the center console. Just going to finish it off tomorrow.

Quote:
IF your adding more than one light to the factory wiring i suggest using a relay so it doesn't load up the BEM so much.
Question is as i am adding 3 lights to the ignition barrel light this will create a fair amount more load. I should know but what is a relay and how do you add this into the circuit??

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Once that is answered, I will possibly add that to the tutorial for those doing more than what I did in my example
Thanks for the comments so far people!
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
cool needed to see that as i got one for my au.

thanks mate.
same here...i got the part with the light a while back (ebay bargain, 20 bucks or so - including postage)...never got around to getting a wire connected - what a great walk through...thanks bigfoot, most appreciated, though any further tutorial would of course be even better
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #9
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Not bad, I sourced mine from a wreckers yard for $2 so it's 6 of one half dozen the other as to where you get them and how much you pay.
If I can be of any more help, just send me a message mate. I try to help where I can with my limited car knowledge haha
Old 04-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #10
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

cheers mate, appreciate that.

i may well give it a try this weekend. i have had blue led's in most of the car...but have switched back to normal bulbs or white led's. my plan always was to have another blue light in this spot...but probably just go white.
the blue light means you can't see anything but blue in the car. had the blue interior dome light - tried to read a street directory one late night - difficult is a key word, looks sweet glowing blue in there...but doesn't help vision
Old 04-02-2010, 02:06 AM   #11
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so i know a little about circuits courtesy of the course i'm doing. I am on holidays so go gently on me.

The way i calculate it if you add 3 lights (both footwells and rear) to the ingnition barrel light you are adding a lot of current to the wiring. Now if i am correct and only if i then believe the added current may have the potential to heat the wires up and potentially cause problems down the track.

If you wired them up in series i think this may solve this but then the voltage drop accross the lights would make the last couple really dull.

Should i be concerned or not??

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
illusivedreams

If you wired them up in series i think this may solve this but then the voltage drop accross the lights would make the last couple really dull.

Sorry just a correction and Its been along time. I dont think the last few lights will be dimmer I think you will find the whole circut will dim as the lights will act as resistors but will be treated as one big resistor with adding more and more lights.

Will check
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
illusivedreams

Explanation – In a series circuit, the current going to each element (light bulb etc.) in the circuit goes through every element in order. If one element was to burn out, the entire circuit would burn out and no flow of electricity would result. If you add an extra element to this type of circuit, you will need to increase the voltage to have the same total voltage as before. If you remove an element out of this type of circuit, you will need to decrease the voltage to have the same total voltage as before. The following rules applying to Series Circuits.

1. The sum of the potential drops equals the potential rise of the source.
V(total) = V (1) + V (2) + V (3) + . . .

2. The current is the same everywhere in the series circuit.
I (total) = I (1) = I (2) = I (3) = . . .

3. The total resistance of the circuit is equal to the sum of the
individual resistances.
R (total) = R (1) + R (2) + R (3) + . . .

Applications
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Under the front passenger seat there is a flap in the carpet. Have a look under that and you should find the factory power wire for the rear courtesy light.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Under the front passenger seat there is a flap in the carpet. Have a look under that and you should find the factory power wire for the rear courtesy light.
interesting...i might look into that
Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #16
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbigfoot
This is a job that I completed today and thought I would share with others. Once you obtain the globe holder from a wrecker as ford is well expensive, it's an enjoyable mod to have providing you have the ignition barrel courtesy light. Please post any questions/feedback/complaints regarding this tutorial if you would like to Enjoy!!
Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage or problems that may arise from you following the tutorial. It's merely a guide that I wanted to share after completing the task myself today.

How to: Install rear courtesy light
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=72
Great write up.. we will link it to the usefull threads as soon as we get 5 mins to spare

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Thanks mate. I don't really understand an awful lot about cars so I try to help where things make sense to me!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #18
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUbigfoot
Thanks mate. I don't really understand an awful lot about cars so I try to help where things make sense to me!
i know that feeling...before i got my AUII, i knew how to change a tyre...and that's about it. i have learned things along the way, i have developed a passion for cars, and general car care in the 3 years i have owned it.

i am still learning, but loving it
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
Wheelbarrow74

Default Re: How to: Install rear courtesy light

Quote:
How ironic. I have just started doing this today. I have soldered up a complete loom for the footwell courtesy lights as well as the rear one in the back of the center console. Just going to finish it off tomorrow.
Hey mate, Im just trying to replace the centre console courtesy light globe, but finding it a bit triky removing the back surround. I've undone the two screws located under the console lid, but not sure how its attached at the bottom near the carpet.. is it clips or screws? I don't want to go pulling and then bust it what's the trick?

Wheelbarrow74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: How to: Install rear courtesy light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelbarrow74
Hey mate, Im just trying to replace the centre console courtesy light globe, but finding it a bit triky removing the back surround. I've undone the two screws located under the console lid, but not sure how its attached at the bottom near the carpet.. is it clips or screws? I don't want to go pulling and then bust it what's the trick?
It clips into the bottom of the centre console - you have to take the entire console out to get to it.