Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Reverse cycle air con for the car

Just talking to my brother the other day , dunno how it come up but apparently some of these electric cars have reverse cycle heating/air conditioning, for reasons .....ala no internal combustion engine with a cooling system to bypass hot water to a heater core.
my brother seems to think with a bit of plumbing and valving it wouldn't be too hard to do.
now when my brother says things like this we must be wary......hes a bit different, he gets an idea in head and most others would say get outa town (me included), but he usually does what he says......eventually.
Now if a bloke was looking at dash out job i`m thinking this might be an alternative as all the work would (i think ???) need to be done in the engine bay.
so do we have any one been down this path or do we have any aircon guys that can comment on this to say yay it could be a worthwhile thing or forget it.

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Reverse cycle air con for the car

I'd guess a pure electric car would be forced to use reverse-cycle A/C. A heating element would be even worse on the battery pack than running a compressor.

I think it would be pointless and far less efficient to run reverse-cycle A/C in an internal combustion engine car, where you already have a water pump running the coolant system and only need a fan to get heat from the vents.

A heater core is basically free heat because the internal combustion engine is going to produce heaps of heat no matter what. Instead of all that wasted heat being dissipated via the radiator, you're redirecting some into the cabin.

A fan would use much less than a compressor+fan (reverse-cycle) which, in turn, would use much less than a heating element+fan.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From memory Mitsubishi I Miev electric car uses electrically driven a/c compressor for a/c (cooling) and heating elements with coolant ( liquid) piped into cabin for heating .
Hybrids like Prius and Volt use conventional heater core combined with electrcally driven compressors for a/c.
If you want reverse cycle a/c for heating and cooling you will have to decide how to drive the compressor - mechanically or electrically. Pretty sure large automotive companies looked into this and decided it is not an efficiant option.
Heating is pretty much free byproduct of combustion engine so why drive a compressor to acheive the same result.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A reverse cycle air conditioner on heating basically works the same way as it does on cooling except the flow of refrigerant is reversed and the condensor and evaporater exchange roles, not a complicated procedure. Without going into the nuts and bolts the main difference between a domestic air con and car air con is the addition of a 4 way valve with additional control that allows the refrigerant to reverse its path in the system and of course the different type of refrigerant used between systems. I couldnt say off the top of my head Whats required to make a car air con reverse cycle but with a bit of design and the right parts I could see it being done if the manufacturers really wanted to
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Don't know why, but this came to mind:

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol too funny seen that one before
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl View Post
A reverse cycle air conditioner on heating basically works the same way as it does on cooling except the flow of refrigerant is reversed and the condensor and evaporater exchange roles, not a complicated procedure. Without going into the nuts and bolts the main difference between a domestic air con and car air con is the addition of a 4 way valve with additional control that allows the refrigerant to reverse its path in the system and of course the different type of refrigerant used between systems. I couldnt say off the top of my head Whats required to make a car air con reverse cycle but with a bit of design and the right parts I could see it being done if the manufacturers really wanted to
My brother is going to do this, he reckons it does have some good points over the conventional car heating/ac system, for a start getting rid of heater core and hoses, that's one less place to worry about cooling system malfunction, I can't blame him for that one , its no fun pulling dashes out ,
The other thing is the reverse cycle ac warms up quicker(he thinks), to him or , I for that matter ,we run our ac nearly all the time anyway so that part wouldn't be a bother.
I have to say when he mentioned this I thought it was probably a lot of trouble to go to but some air con mech might have done it before for a bit of fun, it looks like my bro might be a hot rodding pioneer in this area.: ).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post