Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Lying mechanic

Booked my car in last week for Thursday to get the power steering fixed. They wanted it there by 8am.
On Wednesday afternoon I rang and said can I bring it now as it was going to be tight getting there at 8am.
"Sorry, we're really full and don't have room to store your car overnight"

No probs, so I rush around like a madman ( had to wait for the tiler to come that was doing our bathroom reno so I could let him in) and had to hassle my brother to pick me up, he's very busy running his business.

Get the car there at 8.20, pretty good, they're still opening up and shuffling cars around so no delays for them.

That afternoon at 2pm I'm going past and see it's in the same spot outside so I rang them to see how it's going "Yeah the boys are looking at it now, should be ready this arvo".

I ring again, "Sorry mate, not ready, lunch time tomorrow".

So I get home from work at 4, get my daughter out of her sick bed to drive me down to pick it up. It's on the hoist with another car under it, so they're not even working on it.
"Sorry mate, it's been a really ****** day, ran out of time, will have it ready tomorrow morning, I'll get the boys straight onto it first thing".

I've been in the shop twice before when I've heard a customer ring up and they say the same thing "The boys are working on your Land Rover now, be ready tomorrow" and I look around and the Land Rover is still out the front.

Now I have had quite a few jobs through them and they're always late getting my car back, now I know why. I'm really happy with their work, but hate been jerked around, they've definitely lost a customer.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lying mechanic

Hell you think thats bad, had an intermittent high speed problem with one of mine, years a go, relented against my better judgment and sent it to a dyno tuner, one of the 'Names' in the business. jumped on a train back home after requesting a response as soon as possible.
Nothing heard that afternoon, nor the next day until I rang mid afternoon.
Oh yeah that's all ready for you, thought you'd have come and got it...they said Anyway asked what the problem was and he said Computer was faulty and they had replaced it, total bill was 1500 bucks. So be it I said, be there soon.
Upon arrival I was able to let leash.
The car didn't have a computer it was carburetor-ed ( I did say it was a while ago) so I played with the fella for a while asking all sorts of tricky technical questions about the problem and why it cost so much, even asking them how they got their hands in there, claiming it was hidden deep under the dash, all the while he was looking more and more desperate to get my cash and get me out of there,So I finally asked him to prove he actually knew where he Computer was as I didnt belive it needed replacing. He strode over to the car, popped the bonnet and went a ghostly white, realising there was no computer, fumbling for words he claimed it was actually the throttle position sensor at fault, again I asked to show me it a I pointed out the accelerator cable and of course no sensor.
Anyway a wasted few days but a bit of fun making the fool squirm.
Ended up being the ignition pickup in the distribuor shorting when it got hot, would only do it when at about 3000Rpm plus.
So Yours could have been a lot worse.
PS Once a Holden mechanic stole the Expensive Hipo headlight globes out of my headlights and replaced them with standard, when accused he claimed they had blown, yet they had only been in there 2 days and worked on the way to the dealer in the morning. he lost his Job

JP
5 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the bs world of other people working on your car......
Old 07-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

Which is why only I, work on mine.......

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
8 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Welcome to the bs world of other people working on your car......
yep know what you mean

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just drop my car at the shop and say ring me when it's ready. No disappointment no pressure to deliver just get it done properly. Stuff working on cars, I just want to drive them :
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a few stories about my 'mechanic'. Ex mechanic now.

Bolts not done up tight, wrong bolts in exhaust manifold

Degreased engine when i said not to, cracked lead arcing on extractors and mechanic wanting to charge me for his time drying out my engine bay which consisted of him running my car for 3hrs idling to dry out the lead.
Belt adjusters not done up tight

Coolant not replaced with one i gave him and upon asking, said he used it, funnily enough i saw the coolant bottle i gave him in the same spot i left it and picked it up and walked out.

Numerous other quality issues on my cars and old flatmates.

I do most of my work myself now.
Anything major, I will start to worry
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
Cobramad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not all mechanics are bad, most now realise that Joe Public isnt a total fool.
You are only as good as the quality of the work you produce, so only an idiot would choose to do the wrong thing, as you will be found out!
I'd wager that 95% are honest, with a few bad apples ruining it for the rest of the honest operators.
I ran my mechanical repair business for 10yrs, with the buck stopping with me.
It probably took 8yrs to get the business to a point where it was self-generating but at all times, you MUST do the right thing.
Simply because its the correct thing to do..
A shame when a minority screw it up for the honest operators.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Just because it's sitting out the front doesn't mean they are not working on it though mate. Did you pop the bonnet? Power steering pump might have been ripped off out the front in between other jobs. They don't just work on one thing at once but many jobs on many vehicles thus maximizing their work. My mechanic has a workshop full of half finished jobs at any one time.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the hard thing about moving to a new town...you have to find a mechanic you can trust all over again.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe,just maybe they got busy .....
Maybe they were waiting on a part ???
What was the problem ??? a simple fix, a split hose, a seal or something else required
Many mechanics have half finished jobs as they are waiting on parts ....
If they are good ,id stick with them
As mentioned a few above
"Ring me when its finished "

Id rather it be late and right, than on time or early and not right
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Sooooooooooooooooooo much i could type here right now

But i'm not gonna....
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Just because it's sitting out the front doesn't mean they are not working on it though mate. Did you pop the bonnet? Power steering pump might have been ripped off out the front in between other jobs. They don't just work on one thing at once but many jobs on many vehicles thus maximizing their work. My mechanic has a workshop full of half finished jobs at any one time."

It was the power steering rack, so no way they could have taken it off and moved it around and back to the exact spot I parked it.

Cobramad, I agree, 95% of mechanics do a good job, my previous mechanic retired and he was the best. It's like any industry, there's always someone that doesn't do the right thing. Like I said, I'm happy with their work, but just ring me and let me know if it's not ready. Anyway, whinge over, I was just wound up at the time.

I do do most of my work, but just didn't have time to stuff around due to a bathroom reno that has to be finished.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
Just because it's sitting out the front doesn't mean they are not working on it though mate. Did you pop the bonnet? Power steering pump might have been ripped off out the front in between other jobs. They don't just work on one thing at once but many jobs on many vehicles thus maximizing their work. My mechanic has a workshop full of half finished jobs at any one time.
It's funny how those who always pass comment have never seem to have been ripped off, yet seem to think its a conspiracy because we have .. even with proof...
Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

me at crash repairer few weeks ago.

CR.. we had trouble with your locknut key.. may need a new one..

ME.. thats strange i had those wheels of two weeks ago doing the brakes.. i had no problem.

it gets better.....

CR.. hands me back my key...

ME.. wheres my alarm fob..

CR.. looks in console.. hands it to me..

ME.. ffs........

CR.. ummmm.. we'll sort it out

yes you will

just took the shine off the whole experience.. absolute faultless repairs..
Old 08-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #16
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET270 View Post
It's funny how those who always pass comment have never seem to have been ripped off, yet seem to think its a conspiracy because we have .. even with proof...
Quite to the contrary mate. I have had many problems with mechanics in the past. But they are mere mortals that have a job to do, make mistakes like the rest of us. And I'm not on a forum making a conspiracy. For starters if the op had a problem with the mechanic take it up with him, simple. Mechanics cop alot of flack.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the OP was just venting. Which is understandable. There is some pretty crappy customer service out there. And some dishonest people.
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Booked my car in last week for Thursday to get the power steering fixed. They wanted it there by 8am.
On Wednesday afternoon I rang and said can I bring it now as it was going to be tight getting there at 8am.
"Sorry, we're really full and don't have room to store your car overnight"

No probs, so I rush around like a madman ( had to wait for the tiler to come that was doing our bathroom reno so I could let him in) and had to hassle my brother to pick me up, he's very busy running his business.

Get the car there at 8.20, pretty good, they're still opening up and shuffling cars around so no delays for them.

That afternoon at 2pm I'm going past and see it's in the same spot outside so I rang them to see how it's going "Yeah the boys are looking at it now, should be ready this arvo".

I ring again, "Sorry mate, not ready, lunch time tomorrow".

So I get home from work at 4, get my daughter out of her sick bed to drive me down to pick it up. It's on the hoist with another car under it, so they're not even working on it.
"Sorry mate, it's been a really ****** day, ran out of time, will have it ready tomorrow morning, I'll get the boys straight onto it first thing".

I've been in the shop twice before when I've heard a customer ring up and they say the same thing "The boys are working on your Land Rover now, be ready tomorrow" and I look around and the Land Rover is still out the front.

Now I have had quite a few jobs through them and they're always late getting my car back, now I know why. I'm really happy with their work, but hate been jerked around, they've definitely lost a customer.
You say he is a good mechanic, yet he lies, so if he lies what else does he lie about??

May be he lies about changing the oil filter, and oil, may be he lies about checking the brakes, may be he lies about the hours he charges on your invoice etc etc

If he lies I would not trust him or take my car there even if the work appears reasonably well done, I would find a mechanic that does not lie and knows what they are doing.

I would trust a mechanic that says, 'yep, we have taken the pump out and waiting on parts/a new one etc' rather than saying 'yep it's being worked on right now', when it is just sitting there not being worked on, he is obviously playing people/cutomers for idiots.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #19
brett7777
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a mechanic who buys bike parts from me (part time business that I run). Recently he bought a 125cc bike and sold it as...a 250 ! He's dodgy as, he buys off me, but I would never buy anything off him. When I challenged him about the motor size he said 'it's been converted'. Trouble is, that had supposedly been done in just a few days with parts that are not available locally (I know the motor well and I know you'd have to bring the parts in from Japan or the States, even then it would be a mish, and noone would bother anyway, they'd just buy the 250 version). The 125 and 250 are identical so somehow he got away with it. But the buyer has a very underpowered 250 !!!
Nissan Skyline 370GT Coupe
Previous:
FPV BF F6 Typhoon #202
BF XR6 Rebel

Founder of BA & BF FORD FALCON FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
i wish mechanics being late were the only problem i had with them - i seem to get the lateness and the lies about what they did . . . and the problems that come with them not doing the job right

while getting the car back late is a major pain, the job is the most important aspect
it seems you are happy with their work, and as others have suggested; it is better to wait for the job to be done right, rather than get it back on time and wrong
if their only problem is lateness, then next time, don't believe the time they give, but keep harassing them like you do
it will keep them on their toes, and you will be more relaxed about it (but carless)
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Problem is, not every job goes according to plan....Be it, a seized nut/bolt, the wrong part delivered, or a customer wanting/needing more work done that previously booked in for...Might have even been a result of the mechanic/s being stuck on the phone dealing with customers

I'd bet my leftie, if this mechanic had had the car finished in record time and stuffed the job up, people would be whinging and whining that occurred too.

It's as simple as this.....If the job is done properly, who cares if it takes longer than previously mentioned...As long as the job is done properly.

Oh title....Lying mechanic....Maybe with his reponses.....Question begs, was the job done properly?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 08-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Maybe,just maybe they got busy .....
Maybe they were waiting on a part ???
What was the problem ??? a simple fix, a split hose, a seal or something else required
Many mechanics have half finished jobs as they are waiting on parts ....
If they are good ,id stick with them
As mentioned a few above
"Ring me when its finished "

Id rather it be late and right, than on time or early and not right
We may not see eye to eye on everything, but you've hit the nail on the head here....

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #23
MrsTyphoon
04 FPV F6

As someone who has worked with a major car company for 5 years I do have to agree that this goes on alot, but mechanics are generally very busy... It's not in and out like people think, there are cars that get delayed because they find something else after they start work, or they're waiting on a part, or they're trying to get a hold of the owner to see if they can proceed with the work needed so the next cars in line get pushed back. Unfortunately nothing they can do, I mean you are happy with their service right? Even if they take a bit longer? I'd rather take my car to a good mechanic and wait a little longer than take it to someone who gets it in and out without going that extra mile to make sure they are giving it back 100%

This actually reminds me of a picture I saw online and it said something like this:

Hourly mechanic rates:
If you leave it $100/hr
If you call continuously $110/hr
If you stay $115/hr
If you watch $120/hr
If you offer your advice $130/hr
If you've messed with it beforehand $140/hr
If you've messed with it and don't tell us $150/hr

Lol...

Last edited by flappist; 09-06-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: swear filter
4 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Most mechanics, used car salesmen, lawyers and accountants are all dodgy ****** and belong in the same category.

So when you find that one in the 5% of the good ones, stick to them like **** to a blanket.

Go to your local TAFE and observe and listen to the apprentice motor mechanics for a week, then try tell me most are honest, lol.

I've got a real good local mechanic and all my cars go there if they need work, I can trust him and he has a lot of experience with Fords, I also suggest him to friends/family as he does a great job.

I left my Falcon with him for three months because I wanted the job done properly, give him as much time as he needed to do it 100% right.

On a whole, the auto industry is pretty dodgy in itself, I know we do some questionable stuff at work.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 08-06-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #25
efirestorer

My daughter left her very low K's small car ( 18,000)at sub branch of dealership for RWC test. They were to call me to collect/pay. Phone call from tester , " requires machining of discs , brakes shuddering , we will do it for $170." From my previous experience with RW people ," leave it , I will have it done by my brake man". Paid for RWC test , drove car , absolutely NO brake shudder , spoke to testing authorities , they advised " take it to another RWC tester , see if it passes". It did , then daughter realized service by time had not been done , took it to head dealership ,a normal service was done including road test , no mention of brakes requiring attention . Armed with the real RWC and the service invoice , returned to lying mechanic , very reluctant to refund fee for bodgy RWC , but when he contacted his head office , surprise - he paid up.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

My mechanic says that my Brembo's are getting a groove and need to be replaced soon. I said to him I only drive 20km's a day to work and back and they will last me another 2 years.
Some peoples views on serviceable parts are very different.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #27
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, there used to be a roadworthy place near us out here in the next town that would just about never pass anything first go, and if it was something older, it would come with a list of things to be "fixed" that they could happily do for you...

Now the place that does safety certificates is apparently pretty easy going with older cars, as they should be...too many brand new mechanics can;t understand that when it says "oil leaks", that on an old car an "oil leak" is something way more serious than the normal "oil weeps" that any old car has somewhere on the engine. I recall a mate getting a roadworthy for an old Holden ute with a red motor in it, and it failed for oil leaks. When he questioned it, the older mechanic came out and popped the bonnet and the young mechanic pointed out a bit of a weep from the bottom of the side plates and a little at the rear of the tin tappet cover (this was an engine that had been degreased a few days before, but this sort of thing is normal with red sixes...and old Ford sixes for that matter). The older guy just sighed, shut the bonnet, and said to the young guy "That's not an oil leak...just tick it as passed".
Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #28
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Could be worse, my exhaust guy didn't do the wheel nuts up correctly and the left rear wheel came flying off and caused a few thousand in damage to other cars, my mechanic took the blame though - top bloke.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Sometimes the bloke on the phone in the office is not always up to date with whats happening.

Shops get busy, things take longer and you have contend with customers that want things straight away.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Wow a lying mechanic! Who would have known,seriously though...
I could start a heap of threads about lying tradesmen,body shop,spraypainters,brake fitters,trans specialists,tilers,brickies and the list goes on,its the world we live in these days,everybody lies through their teeth and expects you to take it because they have you over a barrel.
Closed Thread