Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default VZ SS holden- are they any good?

I realise this is about a holden but does anybody own a vz ss or vz ssz or know a bit about them?
Ive been looking for a ba turbo with no luck so far and dont want to limit my choices on makes/models so im keen to explore the dark side too(maybe...)
Any info on issues,good,bad points will be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Default Re: VZ SS holden- are they any good?

Overall they're not a bad car but do have their faults.

Power steering pumps, engine oil usage, brakes and diffs mainly.

Worst issue is the inherantly soft chassis that bends, twists etc. Jack the car up and you can't close or open the bonnet...!!!
Look to LS1 for best round of information..

Best mod to do to them is to actually get a front end half cut and retro fit the whole front end and running gear into a VH-VL. It's a bolt in and out job with some wiring and headers from Castlemaine. Once done you have VZ front end in the VK and a big Hp car weighing 1200kgs.

I have done the conversion before and it's most fun you could ever have!!! 4th gear tyre fryer!!!!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
pmacc

I had a VZ Calais few years back and have a cousin with a VY SS still

the cars are pretty much a proven chassis, only thing i remember are
  • radius rod bushes perishing very quickly
  • the door actuators going wonky but there cheap and easy to find,
  • cracking around the strut towers on high km cars but if it had a strut bar (pretty sure it was standard on ss is on the vy s2) then it wasnt so much of an issue
  • Inner rear tyre wear issues (inner camber can’t be adjusted enough on rear tyres) worsened with lowering and soft rubber
  • Steering wheel buttons easily breaking

The late models and I think the z series had the 6L motor otherwise the 5.7 which is pretty good minus a few common issues such as leaks (standard 2nd hand what to look for stuff)

Auto 4l60e is a pretty old tranny but very reliable
Manual if its the same as the VY GTS box then its a bit notchy but pretty much usual for Aussie cars

Brakes are a weak point, nothing a decent set of rotors and pads from Matt (Race Brakes) couldnt fix

Tuning, very good bang for you buck with an OTR and exhaust setup

Last edited by pmacc; 07-06-2013 at 06:37 PM.
pmacc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
Worst issue is the inherantly soft chassis that bends, twists etc. Jack the car up and you can't close or open the bonnet...!!!
What are you talking about? Never heard of this issue and never had this issue from any VT - VZ I own, and I jack them up every weekend....

Steering wheel wear
Strut bearings
Rear axle cv joints
Oil chew (VZ ls2 is better)
Radiator side tanks
Badges loose their chrome and flake back to yellow
Leather in direct sun doesn't last that long so fabric isn't a bad option...
Idle pulleys tend to need to be replaced often...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing the BF Falcon had over the VZ Commodore during that time was handling. A 2005 Wheels article claimed in a comparison that the Falcon felt at least a generation ahead of the Commodore in handling and refinement. Of course the VE was a major improvement over the VZ.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Find a runout VZ 6litre model.

The tuneability alone of the 6L kills the 5.8 LS1.

The VZ is lighter than the VE and with the 6litre, it’s also faster.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser View Post
What are you talking about? Never heard of this issue and never had this issue from any VT - VZ I own, and I jack them up every weekend....

Well, I have lost count of how many times I have seen it happen. I too work on them regularly!

The chassis is too soft and rubbish, VT is worse than VZ. I did a brake upgrade on a mates VT and we couldn't close the bonnet until the car was back on all 4 wheels. It's a joke. Don't get that with a falcon.
Better still, put a VS on a hoist and open the door. Watch what happens. Ditto for VT-VZ. No mechanic leaves windows up on them when they're on a hoist. For a reason.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

l will keep it short, NO
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a VT Berlina with an SS body kit , leather, sunroof ,18 inch HSV wheels ,V8 from new for 5 years
Other than regular servicing I didn't spend a dollar on anything else other than tyres and brakes
Then I bought a CV 8R Monaro and had it for 3 years - same thing never an issue
I have to say that those 2 cars are probably the best cars I have ever owned

If the VZ is supposed to be better I wouldn't hesitate to buy one
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
WPR1

I had a VT and VY2 so the model before VZ and both were hopeless, lots of problems including water leak into the car - vowed it was the last Holden I would own - thus I saw the light and moved to Fords and haven't looked back. Don't make the mistake.
WPR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never heard of these opening and closing door issues.
Go for a VZ, 6.0 over the 5.7 and newer. As always the later the better in a production run. As far as anything going wrong, it's a used car just check it over.
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

My ex has an Adventra V8 and it's the biggest heap of junk you could imagine. So many issues it's just unbeleievable. I'd imagine quality of these models would be poor.

And the way the doors clunk when you close them just adds to the feeling of a rubbish car. I had an ED with 330,000 kms on that sounded and felt better closing the doors.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Thanks for all the replies.
I expected some negative comments,i am asking about a holden after all.
I dont want this to be a ford vs holden thread im just trying to broaden my horizons a bit.
Sounds like the vz holden doesnt have any more issues than what your average used/new ford has.
Personally ive had a bad run with my 2012 turbo ute without going into detail so im keen to try new things after my new ford experience,im just saying both sides(blue and red) have bad and good cars.
Keep the comments coming!

Last edited by STINKY NINJA; 07-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Thanks for all the replies.
I expected some negative comments,i am asking about a holden after all.
I dont want this to be a ford vs holden thread im just trying to broaden my horizons a bit.
Sounds like the vz holden doesnt have any more issues than what your average used/new ford has.
Personally ive had a bad run with my 2012 turbo ute without going into detail so im keen to try new things after my new ford experience,im just saying both sides(blue and red) have bad and good cars.
Keep the comments coming!
I agree with you
At the end of the day a good car is a good car it doesn't matter who it's made by
The Holden product of that time based on my experience was great and the sales figures also reflect this

I'm actually going to buy another CV8R Monaro as I miss the one I had

Plus it's a limited edition and the very last of the australian built coupes so its going to be a classic (IMO)

The blue oval product isn't without its faults so jump behind a chev powdered VZ and make up your own mind
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #15
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being an owner of a holden, never ever heard of this hoist business and misalignment due to a flexing chassis. Never come up on any of the forums been on either.

Cracking of the strut tops is usually just the sealant cracking due to the heat of the bay. Mine have done it slightly, but the metal is fine. Adding a strut bar for good measure. Whopping $40 ebay off isnt much.

Radius rod bushes - upgrade to Whiteline anyway. Oil filled ones perish quickly.
Engine Oil leaks - only very very very minor, if anything could be rear main seal/rocker cover gasket or sump gasket
Power steering rack - very minor leak (stop leak works on it)
Radiator side tanks - yes, mine died but after 11 years original what do you expect
Strut bearings - wear out just the same as the shocks, always replace shocks and bearings. After 150k kms, its expected.
Idler pulleys - 3 out of 4 can be regreased by hand, main engine idler pulley needs replacing. Again after 150k kms what does one expect. Costs a whopping $54 from Nuline or AC Delco original $166

Oh and i did get a water leak in the car as well, and thats because the replacement windscreen was not installed properly 3 months ago. Was fixed today actually.
But never heard of water just coming into the cabin on its on fruition.

I am happy i bought mine. It goes great and easily serviceable and they respond well with bolt on mods and mafless tune/OTRs.

Tunes can be mail ordered to suit your car for really cheap and or usual dyno tune.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
RAPID_BA
Banned

I have a vt2 ls1 and no issues. Beautiful car. Id imagine vz be better.

ive owned a xr6t also, cant go wrong with either. Both good cars. Get the best cond car you can afford whether it be xr6t or vz ss
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #17
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
I have a vt2 ls1 and no issues. Beautiful car. Id imagine vz be better.

ive owned a xr6t also, cant go wrong with either. Both good cars. Get the best cond car you can afford whether it be xr6t or vz ss
Exactly

One thing you have to do is the usual buying a good example car.

Hard to sometimes determine the history, can usually via the service history but if its up to date and car looks reasonable, then you know.

Of course there are always gonna be thrashed cars out there, whether or not a holden, ford or a leyland etc, cross your fingers and hopefully you find a car you like.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30 AM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

A lot of cars will feature a small amount of movement on jacks and hoists, one of the first things you learn when panel beating is to check all gaps for alignment with all 4 wheels on the ground (if possible) before welding. The degree of movement varies between cars. The car-o-liner datasheets also have measurements for most (if not all) cars in both engine in and engine out, due to the weight of the engine effecting the chassis...

Never knowen to not be able to open/close doors etc on a commodore whilst on a hoist, but you do see a small amount of miss-alignment (same with a falcon).

VZ Calais and SS seem to bee a good bargain these days.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 AM   #19
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

I owned a VZ V8 Tonner previously, good car, as reliable as you'd expect, ie: very. Only issues I ever had were due to the Supercharger wearing through a few belts. Diff wasn't the greatest bit of gear but it did have to deal with a bit of power, of course though the Tonners had a different diff altogether than any of the other Commodores. Prior to that I had a VU SS, never had any major issues apart from those you'd expect of any car that was approaching 200k on the odometer.

Never heard of the chassis twisting issue though and I used to be quite into Commodores.

Really when it comes down to it they're no different really than Falcons, same general quality, fitment, reliability, etc. just have a different badge on the bonnet.

Last edited by UberKnee; 08-06-2013 at 02:01 AM.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
damo6
turbo pilot

the last of the vz's would be my pick. the 6ltr (L76) responds much better to a tune than the ls1.in std unopened form they are very doughy off the mark compared to the 6ltr but thats just the difference in the std cam they both have. heres a link you could use to look at different models etc..http://www.users.on.net/~nweber/commodore/
damo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #21
Angeldust

ive had a VX SS for 3 years , then a VY II SS for almost 5 years and now a VZ clubbie for the last year or so. Only have had to replace a few minor things that you would expect to on cars that are now so old and and are generally very very good. Would definetly buy another, they are a great sized car in todays enviroment (i find the VE too big)

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I had a VY clubsport in manual and it is still the best car I have ever owned, never had any issues with it at all. I think it all comes down to buying a car that has been cared for. I know it took me 6 months to find a good clubby as 90% of examples were thrashed and 10% were owners thinking they are still worth 10 grabs more than the others. If you have time just look at some and get an idea of condition. I would be looking at HSV, I picked my clubby up for the sane price as VZ SS's were back then.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Its really good to get some opinions from those that have owned these cars,they sound like a good car to me with the usual problems like any second hand car.
Im going to look at a 2005 vz ssz this morning with a 5.7,havent seen any 6.0 come up for sale in my price range yet but id love to get one with the later motor if i do end up going for the holden,it just makes sense to get a bigger mtor if possible.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #24
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's nothing wrong with either car. They all have typical issues as any Aussie made car will.
Just decide your budget and if you want a Holden V8 or Ford I6....
Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
Its really good to get some opinions from those that have owned these cars,they sound like a good car to me with the usual problems like any second hand car.
Im going to look at a 2005 vz ssz this morning with a 5.7,havent seen any 6.0 come up for sale in my price range yet but id love to get one with the later motor if i do end up going for the holden,it just makes sense to get a bigger mtor if possible.
Good luck
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #26
ridzilla

My older brother has a very heavily worked 05 VZ Maloo and I have to say it's an animal, even in stock form it was a great car to drive! I made the decision to get my BA 6T mainly due to the interior, personally I feel like the VZ interior is a bit tacky and far too plain and boring. Other than that they are a fantastic car to drive and own, highly recommended.

ridzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had A VT 2 senator, VU SS, VY SS and VZ SS. All great cars. I've currently gone back to a VY, not quite as good as VZ due to missing out on climate control (and the useless in dash cup holders) but its a very good car. Also own an AU XR8 and the big thing I notice is size. The AU has much more room, usable boot space and the seats are more comfortable than the SS over distance due to the Holden headrest angles back so far.
Other than that the VT-VZ is a great car.
Just as a point of interest ive owned these models from new and secondhand with low and high km, I feel the model aged well in the real driving world.
Remember if your worried about body creak etc the VZ had the strut brace from factory. None of my LS1 cars suffered oil consumption
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you end up with a Ls1, a maffless tune, cold air intake and exhaust completely transforms the car and gives it real puch right across the rev range. As for oil consumption, most of the early bad ones were fixed under warranty and by the VZ they had fixed the problem at the factory.

As for relaibailty - I have a VU SS ute and all I have don is put a new radiator in at 120,000km. Serivicing is dead easy for the home mechanic as well.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #29
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate has a VZ SS with the 6.0L. I expected alot more from these cars. Very sluggish and eveything felt very heavy including the steering. The only pros I can think of is that they sound awesome with an exhaust and they look great in factory trim
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

VZ rear suspension was the last of the upgraded IRS from the old VQ Statesman days....Holden started moving the mount up points from the VX range and continued moving them on every model change from that onwards...The VZ range it was improved immensley from the VQ Statesman range, however it still wasn't 100% perfect...

Strut brace....never seen one fitted from the factory and I was lowering these when new....So news to me.

Never struck chassis twist issues when jacked up....I have had these up on hoists, one set of wheels in the air and had to open the doors to find lock nut keys and always been able to open the doors...

Front strut bearing plates wear.....But like everything, age wears things out.

That's about all I can think of at this stage

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post