Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-02-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default *WARNING* Commonwealth Bank Email Fraud

Hello there. I got this in my inbox today from the "Commonwealth Bank".

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Email
CBA
Dear Commonwealth Bank customer,

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Technical Department is performing a
scheduled software upgrade to improve the quality of the banking services.
By clicking on the link below you will begin the procedure of the user
details confirmation.

[1]click here

Commonwealth Online banking account will be suspended or temporary
deactivated if not renewed immediately.

There instructions are to be sent to and followed by all Commonwealth Bank
of Australia clients. We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for
cooperation.

Commonwealth Bank of Australia
Technical Service.
--
Email ID 8802JJDMLL9973JGD4jK
Please do not reply to this confirmation email as your response will not be
received.

References

1. http://www3.netbank.commbank.com.au....bank/bankmain/
I have put the warning signs in BOLD to highlight what I thought suspicious.

Firstly, whenever my old man gets mail from the CBA, he is addressed by name, not by "Commonwealth Bank Customer." Secondly, I am not a Commonwealth Bank customer.

Thirdly, no reputable business will ever send you an email asking you to input your details via an email sent to you.

The Commonwealth Bank (or anybody else reputable) will NEVER ban your account because you don't respond to some email.

And lastly, the email address was <noreply@commonwealthbank.com.au>. Commonwealth Bank would have a proper email address.

Although this may seem blatantly obvious, many people fall for this kind of thing. So thought I would just give everybody a heads up.

uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

100% a fake.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
pb02
inconceivable!

I probably get about one of these everyday, also from suncorp, and from time to time other banks.

All banks have stated that if they want to contact you it will be through internet banking, NOT personel email. If people are stupid enough to fall for these scams after all these years then they deserve it!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
I probably get about one of these everyday, also from suncorp, and from time to time other banks.

All banks have stated that if they want to contact you it will be through internet banking, NOT personel email. If people are stupid enough to fall for these scams after all these years then they deserve it!
Mate, there's a difference between being naive and being stupid.

A lot of people learn from mistakes, or from hearing of others.

Many people who do not understand security breaches etc. will fall for this.

I put this up in goodwill hoping that somebody would read it and should they receive it, know to ignore it.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No secutiry "padlock" and a .hk (Hong Kong) domain.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Unfortunately the industry has not been forthcoming on the frequency and/or quantum of successful frauds through phishing and other similar techniques.

However, their silence on the matter (and downright refusal to comment when questioned) says more than a press release ever could. Thankfully the EFT code of practice, although voluntary, has good buy-in from the industry and they (banks) are currently refunding all monies lost - even when it comes around as a result of stupidity on behalf of the customer. Chances are they have insurance cover to protect such losses. Watch this space tho folks, its getting harded for the banks to make money as the economy shows signs of slowing... they will push for a change to this behaviour.

Also, somewhat timely - and extremely relevant - just last week, the Commonwealth Bank announced it would be giving the "Secure ID" tags to 30,000 of its heaviest online banking users. Such a device renders phishing attacks like this compeltely useless... altho i wouldnt put it past some australians to hand over their secureID tag along with their username and password lol.

But the key thing to remember is that banks dont communicate with their customers via email, unless you're dealing with a local branch regarding a loan approval or similar.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Unfortunately the industry has not been forthcoming on the frequency and/or quantum of successful frauds through phishing and other similar techniques.

However, their silence on the matter (and downright refusal to comment when questioned) says more than a press release ever could. Thankfully the EFT code of practice, although voluntary, has good buy-in from the industry and they (banks) are currently refunding all monies lost - even when it comes around as a result of stupidity on behalf of the customer. Chances are they have insurance cover to protect such losses. Watch this space tho folks, its getting harded for the banks to make money as the economy shows signs of slowing... they will push for a change to this behaviour.

Also, somewhat timely - and extremely relevant - just last week, the Commonwealth Bank announced it would be giving the "Secure ID" tags to 30,000 of its heaviest online banking users. Such a device renders phishing attacks like this compeltely useless... altho i wouldnt put it past some australians to hand over their secureID tag along with their username and password lol.

But the key thing to remember is that banks dont communicate with their customers via email, unless you're dealing with a local branch regarding a loan approval or similar.
Do us all a small favour :
Quote:
Originally Posted by age.com.au
Commonwealth Bank nets $4bn profit
August 10, 2005 - 11:03AM

The Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) has posted a record annual net profit of nearly $4 billion.

In his last results announcement as chief executive, David Murray has delivered a better-than-expected 55 per cent rise in net profit to $3.99 billion for the bank.

In cash terms, profit was up 31 per cent to $3.54 billion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC News online
NAB profit tops $4b
The National Australia Bank (NAB) has reported a $4.13 billion profit for the year to September, up 30 per cent on the previous year.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
Do us all a small favour :
Now now comrade WH, you know better than most how the capital markets work. Absolute $ are not relevant, listed companies target return on equity. An "appropriate" return on equity is decided by the shareholders, not the Bank.

The two institutions you name above have in excess of $250 billion of assets on their balance sheets. You had better hope they are making $4 bil profit, because anything less would be an inefficient utilisation of their resources.

Secondly - and in my opinion - more importantly, profts are used to protect a financial institution from unforseen loss events. Let there be NO mistake about it - a failure of one the "big 4" banks would be the end of our economy. Period. Profits retained by a Bank form part of its capital base and are there to absorb losses (as opposed to depositor money being lost) - something which will be important over the coming months and years as the reckless borrowing by Australians will come to rear its ugly head.

In direct response to my comment, i merely meant that competition is so tight, the banks are struggling to make 1% margin on the loans they write. And people still b*tch that their rates are too high...

And by the bye... profit headlines from 2005 have little/no relevance in 2007
Old 12-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Its not Fake, its real

Send me your details via PM and I will update the systems
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
No secutiry "padlock" and a .hk (Hong Kong) domain.
ie is getting cool.. wouldn't let me go to it! it is considered a phishing website..

.hk = very dodgy..

replica of the commonwealth login but. why dont the stingy ****s get a real job
Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Now now comrade WH, you know better than most how the capital markets work. Absolute $ are not relevant, listed companies target return on equity. An "appropriate" return on equity is decided by the shareholders, not the Bank.

The two institutions you name above have in excess of $250 billion of assets on their balance sheets. You had better hope they are making $4 bil profit, because anything less would be an inefficient utilisation of their resources./
I have no problem with banks making a profit, that's why we are all in business. The fact that it gets harder in a slowing economy is a no brainer. I refuse to feel sorry for them.

Quote:
Secondly - and in my opinion - more importantly, profts are used to protect a financial institution from unforseen loss events. Let there be NO mistake about it - a failure of one the "big 4" banks would be the end of our economy. Period. Profits retained by a Bank form part of its capital base and are there to absorb losses (as opposed to depositor money being lost) - something which will be important over the coming months and years as the reckless borrowing by Australians will come to rear its ugly head.
None of the banks are going under, they look after their own*cough*cartel*cough*

Quote:
In direct response to my comment, i merely meant that competition is so tight, the banks are struggling to make 1% margin on the loans they write. And people still b*tch that their rates are too high...
I wouldn't mind 1% of 1% of that margin, are you honestly crying poor for your employer?

Quote:
And by the bye... profit headlines from 2005 have little/no relevance in 2007
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...8/s1710258.htm
If you know the outcome for 2007 pm me we will make a killing!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC News on line
Wednesday, August 9, 2006. 9:16am (AEST)

Commonwealth Bank profit nearly $4b
The Commonwealth Bank has reported an annual profit of almost $4 billion.

For the year to June, the bank's net profit after tax has come in at $3.93 , an increase of 16 per cent.

Commonwealth Bank shareholders will receive a final dividend of $1.30 per share, a record pay-out for the bank
But the main reason I'm pi$$ed is I sent all my banking information to an email from Nigeria and the bank will not give me my money back!!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Hello there. I got this in my inbox today from the "Commonwealth Bank".

I have put the warning signs in BOLD to highlight what I thought suspicious.

Firstly, whenever my old man gets mail from the CBA, he is addressed by name, not by "Commonwealth Bank Customer." Secondly, I am not a Commonwealth Bank customer.

Thirdly, no reputable business will ever send you an email asking you to input your details via an email sent to you.

The Commonwealth Bank (or anybody else reputable) will NEVER ban your account because you don't respond to some email.

And lastly, the email address was <noreply@commonwealthbank.com.au>. Commonwealth Bank would have a proper email address.

Although this may seem blatantly obvious, many people fall for this kind of thing. So thought I would just give everybody a heads up.
Total fake
also be aware if a bank rings you they do not ask for the 3 didget number on your CC , never gove the security details to the bank unless you have looked the number up and rung them .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Its not Fake, its real

Send me your details via PM and I will update the systems
PM sent!
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #14
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
I have no problem with banks making a profit, that's why we are all in business. The fact that it gets harder in a slowing economy is a no brainer. I refuse to feel sorry for them.

None of the banks are going under, they look after their own*cough*cartel*cough*

I wouldn't mind 1% of 1% of that margin, are you honestly crying poor for your employer?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...8/s1710258.htm
If you know the outcome for 2007 pm me we will make a killing!!

But the main reason I'm pi$$ed is I sent all my banking information to an email from Nigeria and the bank will not give me my money back!!
Me?? Work for a bank??? Let's not say anything we cant take back mate!!
Old 12-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #15
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Me?? Work for a bank??? Let's not say anything we cant take back mate!!
So you'd knock back Macquarie if they asked?

While I'm sure you are one of the good financial advisors, the amount of cowboys out there is giving the non-bank sector a bad name. At least with the banks their bias is obvious. Hopefully government regulation will catch up with "Westpoint" schemes and the like before more lose out.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #16
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
So you'd knock back Macquarie if they asked?

While I'm sure you are one of the good financial advisors, the amount of cowboys out there is giving the non-bank sector a bad name. At least with the banks their bias is obvious. Hopefully government regulation will catch up with "Westpoint" schemes and the like before more lose out.
Lol, for what its worth - i work in the field of regulation... probably one of the biggest thorns in the side of these institutions. Whilst the 'millionaire's factory' hasnt been knocking on the door yet, ive resisted many an offer from the private sector. Who would have thought industry would want to get their hands on their regulator??? But i digress.

Using Westpoint as an example, the lead regulator in that field (ASIC, whom i do NOT work for) has decided that disclosure is the key. And so they should. An Australian who wishes to invest in such a product is given all of the information they could possibly require to make an informed decision.

If you believe someone when they say "BIG return, no risk"... i dont think its the government's fault when... suprise suprise... turns out they meant "big return, usual risks".

I agree that there is more work to be done in that field. But you cant regulate against stupidity.

Remember for every westpoint, there's thousands of successful managed investment schemes that have provided good returns and have been managed repsonsibly.
Old 13-02-2007, 12:09 AM   #17
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
- something which will be important over the coming months and years as the reckless borrowing by Australians will come to rear its ugly head.
Off topic a bit, but how long do you reckon before things go blam??

We're seeing rent bidding wars for houses, prices of everything going mental.
I'm of the opinion it can't keep going on like this.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 12:17 AM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Off topic a bit, but how long do you reckon before things go blam??

We're seeing rent bidding wars for houses, prices of everything going mental.
I'm of the opinion it can't keep going on like this.

Ed
Well if by dreadful mistake and backlash Kevy gets in I reackon 5 minutes later the AU economy will go BANG .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 12:28 AM   #19
Annie1962
Annie

I report these fake emails immediately, can't count how many I get from "Ebay" lol..
Old 13-02-2007, 02:00 AM   #20
One Drone
Lane HO

As soon as I opened that page my firefox browser told me to close it as it was reported as web forgery! Go Firefox! lol
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #21
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never click on a link in an e-mail that goes to a website that asks for personal details, or means of accessing personal details.
Always open up a new browser yourself and type in the URL of your bank/credit union yourself, or select it from your favourites/bookmarks if you have it saved.