Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Default 9/11 let us remember.

On this day 11 years ago the American world trade towers were attacked and thousands lost their lives, along with many brave firefighters and emergency workers. Please take a moment to remember them, and refrain from any hate posts, conspiracy posts or otherwise off topic posts.

Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.

Last edited by Auslandau; 11-09-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 9/11 let us remember.

11 years ago......
Old 11-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
xexr6t

It was 11 years ago.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I was at my mates place when it started happening. My mates mum thought it was a movie until she woke up and seen that it was still going.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Honest mistake, typed this from my iPhone and must have hit the 2 not the 1.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

10 years and 364 days........

It's the 10th today in the USA
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I'll never forget that night (our time) or that week in general. I became obsessed with watching the news coverage and following the story.

I was watching the Channel 10 late news (Sandra Sully was reporting) when they went live with the first tower hit - and they actually had the CNN/NBC live stream when the second plane hit the tower. I could not peel myself away from the TV at all.

Things were happening pretty much every 1/2 hour... The pentagon, the 1st tower fall, the 2nd tower fall, the other flight that landed in the paddock.... I couldn't believe what was unfolding in front of me.

I also read lots of articles in the following weeks about witness reports, and there were some particularly amazing stories which some I will never EVER forget.

Whilst I felt considerable sorrow for the innocent people killed in the hijacked planes and the tower collapses, but the firefighters were the guys who I really felt for (and particularly their families). Those guys ran straight into the cauldron of hell that morning - and most of them knew it... I doubt very much that anyone would have predicted the twin collapse of the towers - but they definitely knew that major risk of life was involved.

I lived in the USA as a kid, and had visited the Twin Towers as a young kid. I can remember looking over the edge and was simply amazed by the view from the top. I thought I could see to the end the world from up there. Incredible!

11 Years ago already.... doesn't seem like that long ago!

Let us remember those lost on that fateful day, and hope that nothing like that happens again EVER.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #8
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about the 100,000 killed and millions displaced since in the name of peace? do they get a day also.

wmd's anybody?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about, this thread is for those who died during the 9/11 attacks NOT anything else....
Game. Reinvented.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

What happened on the 9th of November?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
What happened on the 9th of November?
Nothing

USA date format, month/day.

This happened

SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I remember so well this event, I was in hospital having bypass surgery. The Nurse came in in tears and told everyone that the first tower had been hit, it didn't impact on me right away as I was full of pain medication.

RIP all of those who died and a big plus to those that attended to help.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Removed

Last edited by RedHotGT; 11-09-2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Changed my mind - not the place to discuss WMD - Sorry.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I am deeply interested in what happened on that fateful.

I've been watching the doco's on National Geographic channel on foxtel as well as other channels about it as the stories, video footage, eyewitness reports and seeing the shock and horror on peoples faces. It is a day no one will forget and to this day still runs shivers down my spine.

I feel sorry for those who were directly and indirectly involved with that catastrophe.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The events on that day have changed our world forever.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #16
XEGL

Sad people lost their lives on that day for no good reason at all except to justify hundreds and thousands of others also losing their lives later. Irrespective of the original posters wishes, I pay tribute and mourn all the innocents on 911 and all the innocents that paid for it afterwards. Pottery beige is spot on, it is indeed an injustice to remember some and not others who also paid for that day with their lives unnecessarily.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
The events on that day have changed our world forever.
The problem with the whole thing is the media/internet.

The last time USA was attacked it took three and half years to end the war as the gloves were off. Now due to the screaming media and internet the government iand military are so restricted in what they can do in case they acciddently hurt someone or something that we are over a decade into this conflict with no resolution in sight.

And before all the bleeding hearts arc up, not all Germans were Nazis and not all Japanese worshiped Hirohito.

If there had been world wide television and internet in 1930 we would still be fighting world war 2 and the economic boom of the 50s and 60s would never had happened.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That long ago already, I can still remember it. I was in year 5 at school. When I woke up for breakfast to find my mum watching the tv which never happened in the morning so I sat down and started to watch. Once I got to school at about 9 the atmosphere was something I've never felt before. Even at a primary school where majority of people myself included didn't really understand what this ment but there was this sadness through out the school. And it was the only time that school stopped for something. We all piled into various classroom and teachers all had the tv on the news we didn't start school work until after lunch.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember setting the video to record "Star Trek-Deep Space Nine" on TV which was on about 11:30pm (bloody channel 9!), and when I got up at around 6am the next day to go to work, I rewound the VHS (remember them...?) to check it recorded, and saw the planes hitting the buildings. I was puzzled...was this some movie? That'd be right...take off my favorite (at the time) TV show and replace it with some film and not put it in the TV guide...typical channel 9.
Then I turned off the video and went to normal TV and saw it all unfolding. I remember waking the missus and saying "Turn on the TV when you get up, I think there's going to be a war", and went to work where, of course, it was the topic of conversation all day.

Not. One. Damn. Word. about "oh, we deserved it, we shouldn't retaliate" of crap like that which the softies came out with long after the fact. People from all countries died in that attack...Australians included...and our PM at the time was in the USA and we were just about the first country to stick up our hand and say "Hurt one of us, you hurt all of us...bring it on sand people".

As for what happened after-woods, funnily enough people die in wars...odd that, and something we've all forgotten in this era of smart weaponry and unmanned drones. That's life. Keep the postings to memories of that day please.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Son was born in May 2001, and being a diligent 1st time father I used to get up with my wife and change his nappy clean him up and get him ready for the boob, she would feed him and I would watch Walker Texas Ranger until he was burped and back to bed, on this particualr night, my wife and I were watching and saw this

We said this doesnt look like walker, it must be a movie, we were waiting for it to cut to an acter so we could guess what movie (yea we're lame we do that) when Sandra Sully in tears, I still remember it like yesterday.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

+1 for thinking it was a movie too. I thought that the 'movie' looked pretty real, and then Sandra Sully pretty much shaken was announcing the US is under terrorist attack. I woke the mrs, the mrs was in shock. She called her mum and woke her (as she is a conspiracy theorist), etc.

From that moment on, I dont think I could get back to sleep. I was glued to the box. Mortified and in shock.

The subject was talked about for weeks after amongst the local community. Everyone wanted to know what was next. Who was to blame, how did this happen, why?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I was listening to Spoonman's late night show on Triple M.
He mentioned the first plane, and didn't know much about it, but when the second one hit he said it was a terrorist attack.

I wasn't terribly interested, so I went to sleep after that.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 11-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Such a horrible thing. I did a project for English on it years ago...
I was about 4 or 5 when it happend... I remember Mum crying in front of the TV, I didn't understand what was really going on much then.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I woke up with the radio as my alarm, and Andrew Denton on MMM was saying "If anyone needs to talk, please just call, we are here for you" and I thought, ok that is a bit strange.

Had a shower, came down stairs and the look on my mum's face was one of utter shock, I looked at the TV and saw the footage and thought, ok that is a pretty lame movie idea.. Then obviously realised it was real.

Insane.

I definitely agree it has shaped the world we live in today.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm massively interested in the 9/11 attacks as well. I clearly remember the night it happend, as most of us do, and took a big interest then. But it was last year and the 10th anniversary that sparked my interest again and led me to buy a bunch of books on the history of the towers and the day of the attacks.

Seriously, the deeper you delve the more fascinating it gets.

Stories like how the Port Authority (the government body who built the towers) did not have to comply to building codes, as they were a government body. This resulted in the escape stairs being fewer in number and smaller in size than what would normally have been required.

How their insistence on massive lettable areas (each floor measured over an acre) lead to the hugely innovative design which required only a fraction of the steel that went into traditional buildings, and contributed to the towers falling so quickly after being hit.

The way they solved access issues with the elevators - sky lobbies on the floors 44 and 78 were connected to the ground floor lobby by express elevators - these express elevator shafts had no doors on any other floor, and no access at all. Many people were trapped in the middle of these doorless shafts with no chance of escape.

The head of the family run steel company who built the towers took his father up to a high floor during construction - the old man flipped out and became upset at the lack of steel, and proclaimed they wont stay up. They put his ramblings down to illness.

How no one believed the towers would fall, and hundreds of fire fighters were resting on low floors of the north tower, completely oblivious to the fact that the south tower had already collapsed.

And check this out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLW0jKKRXMo
Its real, I've read accounts of this phone call elsewhere but to watch it like that, chilling stuff.

And from what I've read and understand about the towers construction, there is no doubt in my mind that their collapse was 100% attributable to the planes. Some of the conspiracy theories out there are a bit fanciful, but there are others I do take more seriously.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I remember that day clearly, i was 8...probably wont ever forget seeing the planes hitting the towers.

Subaru Outback '02
Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
I'm massively interested in the 9/11 attacks as well. I clearly remember the night it happend, as most of us do, and took a big interest then. But it was last year and the 10th anniversary that sparked my interest again and led me to buy a bunch of books on the history of the towers and the day of the attacks.

Seriously, the deeper you delve the more fascinating it gets.

Stories like how the Port Authority (the government body who built the towers) did not have to comply to building codes, as they were a government body. This resulted in the escape stairs being fewer in number and smaller in size than what would normally have been required.

How their insistence on massive lettable areas (each floor measured over an acre) lead to the hugely innovative design which required only a fraction of the steel that went into traditional buildings, and contributed to the towers falling so quickly after being hit.

The way they solved access issues with the elevators - sky lobbies on the floors 44 and 78 were connected to the ground floor lobby by express elevators - these express elevator shafts had no doors on any other floor, and no access at all. Many people were trapped in the middle of these doorless shafts with no chance of escape.

The head of the family run steel company who built the towers took his father up to a high floor during construction - the old man flipped out and became upset at the lack of steel, and proclaimed they wont stay up. They put his ramblings down to illness.

How no one believed the towers would fall, and hundreds of fire fighters were resting on low floors of the north tower, completely oblivious to the fact that the south tower had already collapsed.

And check this out;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLW0jKKRXMo
Its real, I've read accounts of this phone call elsewhere but to watch it like that, chilling stuff.

And from what I've read and understand about the towers construction, there is no doubt in my mind that their collapse was 100% attributable to the planes. Some of the conspiracy theories out there are a bit fanciful, but there are others I do take more seriously.
I've seen the video before. It still chills me to this day to watch and hear it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #28
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

No matter your feelings on who is responsible or the events that have taken place since that day, the fact remains that thousands of innocent people lost their lives, may each and every one of them Rest In Peace.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I've seen the video before. It still chills me to this day to watch and hear it.
Agreed. The last few seconds are frighteningly horrible.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #30
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized

I remember the documentaries on the building of the World Trade Center buildings that showed them slotting together the outside structure, which basically hung off a backbone of the central elevator shafts to give the maximum "open plan" floor space they were trying to sell as an innovation. No skyscraper before had ever been built like that.
They then showed the Empire State Building being built the old way...masses of girders everywhere, a staggering amount of rivetting and cross-bracing...and how it copped a bomber in the side of it and only burned out a few floors on one side.

As for the airliners, the energy levels were worked out and ramming an airliner into the building like that gave the sort of energy released from a small tactical nuke.

"Where are the remains of the plane at the Pentagon?" is a favorite of conspiracy nutjobs. The plane was there...but it did what an airliner does when it hits the ground...shreds into coke-can sized bits and pieces, leaving maybe the wheels and the turbine shafts as the only recognisable pieces of airplane. No wonder there wasn't much left.

Sad day that did indeed change the world...even out at Emerald air port, you now have to turn up at least 45 minutes early to ensure passage through security, and that's just at a smallish country airport.
Closed Thread