Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
XR227

Default Good On Ya Holden

My Father (78 y/o) took his Executive Commodore to Holden for a Service, he then gets a phone call through the day asking him would he like to have his brake pads replaced as the old ones were worn.
He replied yes, while the car is up there you may replace them. Thank you for letting me know.
He picks up the car in the afternoon and drives home, I get home from work
and he showed me a cardboard box that they had left in the back on the floor. Opened it up and it was the old brake pads, Then had good look at them and there was heaps of meat left on them, took em round and showed me Panel beater mate who then told me they weren't even half worn.
Told dad to go back up there and ask to speak to the service manager and
ask him what the go was in replacing brake pads that seemed to look okay, which he did. He was given and apology and was told he would only have
to pay cost for the new pads. Jeez thanks.

XR227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
outside
off in outer space

Default Re: Good On Ya Holden

thats crap tell them to put the old ones back in
Old 21-07-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they machine the discs?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I remember with my old BA I did another 20,000k's after they said that my pads were worn. Then I replaced them. But they were done after that, maybe another 5000k's but I wouldn't wanna try.

I guess in the future get your dad to only service at the dealer and get stuff done elsewhere. Or find a new mechanic.
Old 21-07-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
XR227

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
thats crap tell them to put the old ones back in
That's exactly what i said, dad didn't want to make a fuss.
No just pads done.
XR227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. One of the things that a dealer, or for that matter anyone, when servicing a car has to make sure that things like brake pads and such will last till the next service. With extended service intervals a lot of brake, steering and suspension parts may get changed well before they are worn out as a customer that has a car fail a month before a due service may go elsewhere because " the dealer didn't get it right last time". Poor dealer cant get it right either way can they. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to play tennis with a bloke who had been buying his cars from a particular Holden dealiership for over 30 years and having them serviced there too...

He took his VZ Calais in (where he had just recently purchased four brand new tyres) where he was told that he'd need four new tyres because his were worn...

We walked into the showroom and made a massive commotion, pointing out that he'd been having his car serviced there for decades, and asking how many other times he'd been ripped off?

He was offered free servicing for the lifetime of the existing car...

Keep in mind, there's a reason why I went to an independent mechanic and not a Ford dealership for my servicing...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The Honda dealership I worked at, a few years before I started one of the mechanics totaled a customers new S2000.

Hows that for service?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Windsor220
Now Fordless

But I thought it was only Ford service that was bad
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 09:50 PM   #10
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Sounds like alright service. There was an issue and they came to the party, apologized and offered a solution.
They could have thrown the old pads out and you'd be none the wiser.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not just dealerships who rip you off.
I went to a tyre places to get got new tyres and a service in my old Magna. When picking up the car I was told my brake pads were almost gone and I will need new ones soon.
A couple of months later I went to another place for something unrelated. I asked the guy to check out the brakes while the car was there and replace them if necessary.
When I picked up the car he told me he didn't change the brakes because there was over 6000kms left on them and it was a waste to put new ones on.

At least some places are trustworthy.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I once had a service done and they said the rear pads would need replacing in 5K, 25K later and still they didn't need replacement.
You Yangs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

lets all say it together

STEALERSHIP
Old 21-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #14
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you know what...they take advantage of the elderly.!!
my dad (who is 80 this year) took his FG in for a service not that long ago and they told him it needed new break pads and rotors...he said do it and then told me about it..i rang them and said that i was a machanic and that when my dad picked the car up i wanted the old pads and rotors given back to him so i could check them out myself.......when my dad picked it up they told him that an apprentice had mad a mistake and he didnt need them after all....and gave him a free car care kit lol....... they are dead set rip offs these dealers..
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
But I thought it was only Ford service that was bad
Good call.

It's nothing to do with the brand (even in the OP's case) and all to do with the fact we're dealing with humans; there's either a screw up or someone wants to make a quick, dishonest buck.
Old 22-07-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
The Honda dealership I worked at, a few years before I started one of the mechanics totaled a customers new S2000.

Hows that for service?
I've seen that happen to someone's new Holden ute as well.
Mechanic pulled out of the dealership driveway in front of me, floored it up the street, then gave it too much right foot, too soon, coming out of a roundabout, and went sideways into a telegraph post.

My local Ford dealer have mostly been good to me.
When I had a clunking noise in the back, they took it in overnight and pulled the rear end apart to inspect it. Found nothing wrong, so it was all tightened up and put back in.
It was well out of warranty then, so I was feeling a bit sick when I asked how much, to my surprise I was told there was no charge.

Though they did call me on two seperate occasions to tell me that my front brakes were very worn, and would need changing urgently.
The second time, I was quoted $600+ on top of the service for them to do it.
When I declined and mentioned that I have a bunch of mechanics that would do it for me for nothing, the service manager agreed, and said he'd do the same thing.
Three years later they were finally replaced, but still had over 10,000ks left in them.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #17
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3
Hi. One of the things that a dealer, or for that matter anyone, when servicing a car has to make sure that things like brake pads and such will last till the next service. With extended service intervals a lot of brake, steering and suspension parts may get changed well before they are worn out as a customer that has a car fail a month before a due service may go elsewhere because " the dealer didn't get it right last time". Poor dealer cant get it right either way can they. Cheers MD
Im with you.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #18
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:

fact is im sure its cheaper to ware the costing of labour for putting old pads back on and maybe giving away free stuff then a law suit because they didn't replace the brakes and you had an accident.

this being said there is a difference between being slightly over cautious and ripping people off.

i dont trust many mechanics

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 04:12 AM   #19
IDT
Marko

I can't believe there are people on here justifying, either in part or in full, the behaviour of this workshop. Thats a scum bag act on an old fella, pure and simple. To top it off how hard would he have to be on his brakes to need them changed before the next service?
Old 22-07-2011, 04:33 AM   #20
FalconForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
To top it off how hard would he have to be on his brakes to need them changed before the next service?
you would actually be surprised how quickly some people smash through brakes, when i worked at Land Rover we had some cars that had pads done almost every service and rootors done every 2nd

but still i will agree that some mechanics will rip off old blokes and people who look like the could be had over

What's scarier than the thunder? The Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Doesn't matter anyway whatever they do its wrong according to people on here.
FalconForce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 07:31 AM   #21
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR227
.....He was given and apology and was told he would only have
With a rort like that, he shouldn't have needed to pay for the new pads either !
You could have mentioned the Dept of Fair Trading, and they might have even
washed the car too !
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #22
Scruba
15+ Years!

I find it depends on the relationship you can build with the service advisor. I bought an ex cop AU with 6 months factory warranty on it. My advisor fixed a heap of stuff under the warranty that wouldn't have been recognised otherwise due to it being an ex police vehicle. He is the reason I bought the BF new from the dealership and has always looked after me. Full respray under warranty, any niggling issues with the car he has helped me with no problems at all.

I took out a dealer warranty on the BF as Ford's extended warranty wasn't available at the time and have only used it once. Paid for itself that one time too. Unfortunately now when I take the car in he's not on shift so I get the "scraps" and treated like pos.

Had my car damaged but it was denied. Ended up talking with the service manager and all was fixed at no cost to me.

Again I put it down to building a relationship with your service team and letting them know that you know what you are talking about and won't be taken for a ride.

I've traded the Falcon on an SS which I get next week. I am sure to be choosing my mechanic carefully!

I've built up a good relationship with my Pontiac's mechanic so he will no doubt be charged with the SS also. No bull attitude and looks out for me. As they say, your new car warranty can't be void as long as it is serviced withing the manufacturer's specs. Get it done elsewhere and save $ and hassle. The little guys need to keep your business and won't give you the run around.
Scruba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #23
maty
territorytx

had my territory in for warranty work went and picked it up.Wife tells me her festiva is due for a service so i ask if i can leave it, they say no problems. This is a friday lunch said i will pick it up saturday lunch.We go to pick the car up saturday wife drops me off have a joke n said looks like it hasnt moved, go in to pay , they forgot alll about. I was not happy took car home swmbo was ****ed monday service manager rings to apologise, he agrees to service it for free,He came to my house the next night picked up the car, left me a new territory . I had a phone call during the day about new pads n rotors to be machined he quoted $90 i said yes need 2 b done. When he dropped the car home that night i asked how i was going to pay he said dont worry we will wear the cost. Wife was happy.
maty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

At least the replaced the, instead of painting the old ones gloss black!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #25
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
I can't believe there are people on here justifying, either in part or in full, the behaviour of this workshop. Thats a scum bag act on an old fella, pure and simple. To top it off how hard would he have to be on his brakes to need them changed before the next service?
Hi. Sorry to upset you but how upset would you be when some "gray nomad" with a 2 tonne car and 1.5 tonne caravan smashes in to you because the brakes might be ok till the next service. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #26
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Good On Ya Holden

Quote:
Hi. Sorry to upset you but how upset would you be when some "gray nomad" with a 2 tonne car and 1.5 tonne caravan smashes in to you because the brakes might be ok till the next service. Cheers MD
No worse than having some clown run up your backside, or change lanes on top of you, because he was too busy on his phone or doing her makeup whilst driving!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my guess is he was playing safe, everyone`s different, i`d rather replace mine at 25/30% than take the chance of letting them grind into the discs, that said the mechanic could have given an approximation of how much pad was left ie, 20% 30% etc so you could make up your own mind if you think the pads will last till the next service.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 11:49 AM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR227
My Father (78 y/o) took his Executive Commodore to Holden for a Service, he then gets a phone call through the day asking him would he like to have his brake pads replaced as the old ones were worn.
He replied yes, while the car is up there you may replace them. Thank you for letting me know.
He picks up the car in the afternoon and drives home, I get home from work
and he showed me a cardboard box that they had left in the back on the floor. Opened it up and it was the old brake pads, Then had good look at them and there was heaps of meat left on them, took em round and showed me Panel beater mate who then told me they weren't even half worn.
Told dad to go back up there and ask to speak to the service manager and
ask him what the go was in replacing brake pads that seemed to look okay, which he did. He was given and apology and was told he would only have
Obviously an attempt at fraud as they put the evidence in the box for you to use in the court case.......

Your 78 year old father now has new brakes and his car is safe.

In the big picture is that more or less important than a few hundred dollars?

My 84 year old mother had her car serviced recently and they missed that the tyres were a bit old.
Two days later I had a blowout while driving her in her car to a family function.
I replaced every tyre including the spare with new ones as I am far more interested in the safety of my mother than the few hundred dollars for some tyres that may last a couple more years.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dealers are damned if they do and damned if they dont in most cases . I replace my pads when half worn as they will not dissipate heat efficiently at much less than that . Each to their own but in the big picture if I didn't know jack about cars and always paid someone else to service them I'd much rather them err on the side of caution than the other way .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'm in the camp of if there's still 3-4mm on the pads, they will probably be right but need replacing at the next service.
I had a mechanic tell me this and also suggest that I check the wear by looking through the wide spokes in my alloy wheels.

Know what?
I booked the car in early for the next service and got him to order the pads and do the change..
A different attitude pervades when customers are advised ahead of time and parts changed when they need to be.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post