Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-05-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
peterban
AULTD

Default Replacing subwoofer

Has anybody replaced their factory subwoofer in an AU with one of the new pioneer low profile units?
As I have a gas tank in the boot the subwoofer is now sitting behind the rear seat and I don't think it works that well.
The pioneer unit is only 75mm in depth and looks as if it might just be shallow enough to fit in the factory spot, although it would need some spacers as the gap between the steel parcel shelf and gas tank is about 20mm.
The gap I have between the steel parcel shelf and the grey cover is about 45mm so you might be able to have it just a little bit higher to accommodate the subwoofer.
The reason I ask is that they are nearly $200 and I don't want to waste the money if it is not possible.

I also realise that the factory sub uses the boot as its enclosure.
Would the gas tank impede the air flow and stop the pioneer subwoofer from working efficiently.

Any thoughts or comments welcome.
Regards
Peter

peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from what i understand blownba uses the factory sub, he just spaces it up enough to clear the tank. i don't see any reason the pioneer one wouldn't work, but if you can refit yours with a small mod to the parcel shelf then it saves you a bit of money. there was something in the lpg section about it, or maybe send him a pm to ask what he does. i am pretty sure he just uses a mdf or similar spacer.

good luck with it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
peterban
AULTD

If you use the factory sub you have to lift it up too high and so have an ugly box around it. I think the factory sub is about 120mm
Someone did a custom made rear parcel shelf cover which looked really good but would be too expensive for me to have made.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
adrian k
adrian

I have put one of those low profile Pioneers in my TS. it fits nicely but you will have to drill some new mouting holes as it is a 6 screw vs the factory 4 screw (or other way round i don't recall). the TS has the boot liner so sub is not open to the whole boot space and still works well. the pioneer is designed for free air operation, where the factory sub is not, so it gives better crisper bass, but is a little under powered from the factory amp.
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 12:59 AM   #5
peterban
AULTD

I went to buy one today as JB had 30% but they only had the 10" ones in stock and reckon that they haven't been able to get hold of the 8" ones for quite awhile.
I nearly bought the 10" one but then realised that it needed a 245mm diameter hole.
The hole in the parcel shelf is only 185mm and so will not fit a 10"sub.
The guy also said that the factory amp was not powerful enough to drive the subwoofer and would need to be replaced.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guessing mounting under the hole isn't an option? The cone will be obstructed and holes would need to be drilled.

On a side note, how to the free air subs compare to the boxed equivalent sound/power/bass wise?
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I was going to get the Pioneer low profile 8" sub for my parcel shelf......but then I found a old-school Phoenix Gold (top name brand but don't sell in australia any more) one on ebay for abour $30 in great nick....running it off a boss amp.....it's not bone-shattering bass, but you can feel it.....the really bassy songs (R&B style) actually sound pretty good!!!

the phoenix gold has around the 120-150w RMS output, 300w max - I emailed the factory in america and that was the best answer they could give me!

the pioneer one is 120w RMS, but is 500w max - so it would probably be a little more punchier than the one that I have....

I don't want to be heard from a suburb away when I'm driving, so for me it's pretty much perfect!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
On a side note, how to the free air subs compare to the boxed equivalent sound/power/bass wise?
Here's a bit of a comparison/explanation
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=51

I had the factory subbie/amp but made an au specific enclosure for a 12" Alpine (also have Alpine mono amp). Sound is much better and directed than the factory subbie but of course there's a cost involved. I retained most of my boot space (the reason for the custom enclosure) but I don't have a gas tank to consider.

On balance, a better free to air subbie and maybe amp is a reasonable compromise. Depends how good you want your music

Here's a pic of my boot enclosure for those who don't have a gas tank to worry about

That wasn't the pic I meant to post but I'll leave it for posterity.
This one gives a view of boot space

Last edited by ronwest; 02-06-2009 at 10:42 AM.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I've posted this before but what the hell, I cant find the thread....

The Barge's setup...original speaker

Last edited by GasoLane; 02-06-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: I for got summink!!
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
low au classic
EA FALCONED

how does it sound stuck behind the seat GasOlane looks like a great idea

SVO wheels 16x7 & 16x8
SVO MOMO steering wheel
SVO rear spoiler
SVO dash cluster
SVO RECARO trim
SVO headers
SVO grille
Sounds good pity it hasn’t ran in 3 years
low au classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just thought i'd also add, depending on the sound you are after, ie treble front and rear, in mine i have fusion 6" splits up front and sony 6x9's in the back, running off a sony 2ch amp with the low pass filter on, so i basically get a bit of bass from the woofer part of the splits, and a lot from the rear. it actually has a fairly decent bass response from the rear, although i don't often have people in the back seat. depends what you are after i guess. i also guess the other thing i can do is get some crossover boxes and tweeters for the rear and it would have treble too...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by low au classic
how does it sound stuck behind the seat GasOlane looks like a great idea
Seeing as I've never heard what the original setup sounds like I cant really compare it.

However it sounds fine to me and our Grandaughter (age 12 going on 19!) thinks it's great when she sits on the armrest as she can really feel the music! (But then she's been brought up on Queen, AC/DC, Led Zepplin etc and likes it turned up to 11!)
Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #13
Kara165

i also had this problem, and am still lookin for a solution, i didnt know about planting the sub behind the seat, ill have to look into it, but at the moment i have temporarily placed the sub upside-down in its original spot, until i have found an alternative solution
Kara165 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post