Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

View Poll Results: Stick one of these under the bonnet....
Turbo 39 54.93%
Supercharger 32 45.07%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #121
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinmyEB
Supercharge it!!

I am so sick to death of hearing blow off valves on every second car that goes past. To me it seems that evey man and his dog is doing it for pure **** factor now. _

Funnily enough I was discussing doing this to the EB eventually as well.. eventually.

My thoughts exactly!! :voldar02:
Unfortunately if you are trying to avoid the pshhhhht patrol, any form of forced induction is not the way to go about it. My setup is about as basic and as low-boost as it gets and she'll still let a sneeze go from the cheap-as-chips bosch blow off valve sitting under the hood. Whilst im not really into "all that", it often prompts an interesting response from rice-boy who obviously has little understanding of pushrod V-8s and centrifugal blowers...

Ah, the eternal battle rages on....

I feel like ive got to stand up for my little friend situated under the bonnet. A lot of commentary suggests that turbos are superior in every way/make/shape or form.

It's really horses-for-courses.... sounds like you're after huge power - in which case i'd probably suggest turbo is the better alternative. Chasing big boost with a vortech = very small pulley on a very sexy T trim and then you find yourself grappling with the belt-grip matrix. Note that it can be done (ltdho being a case in point).

For a moderate/intermediate power setup im suprised supercharging is so easily/quickly dismissed. My car was off the road for the total of 1 week when i fit the blower... drivable but not tuned... 2 weeks later it was tuned up and i was up and running, terrorising the neighbourhood. It's that easy. Now, not to gloat - but im observing some turbo setups that have seen the car off the road for months or being sold before the project is finished (read: tuned). Is it really worth that much time, effort and money for a 10psi setup that could be done in a week with a supercharger kit??

Comments regarding expense are also suprising - when i was poking around in the market, you could slap down $8k with CAPA and have a vortech kit delivered to your door with every little clip, clamp and bolt required... i think the V8 kit even came with new injectors and all kits come with a tuning solution... and 6 cyl kits are even cheaper i think. Everything brand new under warranty. IMO if you get away under 10K in this game you're doing well.

Obviously the logisitcs of turbo V8 make supercharging the more attractive proposition, but the thought of a rock stock I6 with a vortech kit + a CAPA chip seems very attractive to me... you'll be tearing chunks of bitumen off the road whilst your neighbour is still getting the turbo setup towed off to the dyno shop.... anyone in doubt is always welcome to take my "sh!tty" powerdyne setup for a boot...