Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LEMON – will you ever forget it?

As far as I know, there isn’t a person I know that hasn’t bought a lemon. Even a new car can be a lemon. What was yours and will you ever forgive yourself, and forget it.

Remember the XU1 Torana, well I bought the the 4 cyl ‘vauxhaul’ engine version of that car. You know the one with the short stubby nose…..enough said.

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I had lemon once

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

The closest I've had to a lemon was my Alfa Romeo GTV6. I had it nine months and it was always a hit and miss proposition as to whether it would start which I suspect was due to moisture interfering with the ignition system. I replaced the brake booster on it but that was simply required maintainence.

The big hassle was when it bottomed out heavily on a dirt road and jump a tooth on the cam belt at which point I knew it was time to give up on it.
Old 26-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I had lemon once

thats a nice lemon, what ever happened to it?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the worst case i know of is my old mates 2001 cougar. he bought it new, his first new car ever, and the first 12 months he probably took it back to ford 40 out of the 52 weeks in that first year. he may see this thread and correct me but that left a bad taste in his mouth. that same car a pin broke in the steering column and seized the steering in the middle of town in peak hour...
FG XR6 (son)
Old 26-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey! I bought one of those 4cyl toranas as a first car with plans of putting a rotary in it. Was a good thing. Closest I've come to a lemon would be my old BA XR6T. It's the car that convinced me never to buy another new ford.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Hey! I bought one of those 4cyl toranas as a first car with plans of putting a rotary in it. Was a good thing. Closest I've come to a lemon would be my old BA XR6T. It's the car that convinced me never to buy another new ford.

when that car broke down for the last time, i sold it to the RAA (road rescue)guy for $150.00.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 26-03-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Closest I came to a lemon was my 93 Camry (was badged as a Holden Apollo) hand me down from my folks. I got my hands on it at 80,000k's on it and by 120,000k's the tranny had to be rebuilt (cage bearing went, common problem with these cars). But from 100,000ks the car began to overheat (changed the entire cooling system trying to fix it) and by 145,000'k it almost left me stranded about 100km from melb. So then I bought my 03 BA XR6 and this car gave me 140,000km problem free motoring (except when I put it on gas).
Old 26-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
AUIIForte

Quote:
Damn, what happened to it?
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I brought a TC 4 Cyl Cortina new, it broke down on the way home from the dealer. I'd driven it less that 30 miles.

These strange mechanical mishaps continued for the next 12 months til I replaced it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im the same would not quite call it a lemon but my ba xr8 has convinced me never to buy a new ford again. Its cost me over 10k to keep it on the road and it has not done 60 thousand k's yet.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had an XE that in about 2 years I replaced the diff, gearbox, alternator, starter motor, head gasket, lpg converter and then I smashed a piston in half and did a bottom end!!

What a POS that was. oh and my Jet ski is a lemon too. (note to self = dont buy a jet ski)
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

when i got my red Ps, i bought a lemon...it was a charade (had a stupid exhaust, cut springs)...gear box went after a month..needed new shocks because the previous owner cut the springs..had to sell it off to another red P plater...then i got a 89 rodeo, for around 3.5gs...first thing to go was the radiator, and then the clutch...so now i have a "real" car that looks great and drives well...i just hope that this one will never let me down for years to come..
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
I had an XE that in about 2 years I replaced the diff, gearbox, alternator, starter motor, head gasket, lpg converter and then I smashed a piston in half and did a bottom end!!

What a POS that was. oh and my Jet ski is a lemon too. (note to self = dont buy a jet ski)
Dad had a lemon XE and a lemon EA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #15
Torquen
Ginja Ninja

VS 6 banga auto, bought it for $4500 and spent close to 8k repairing on it, finaly got it all good and then wrote it off :(
Car was a POS though, everytime you'd fix something another thing would brake.
Holden V6 = never again.
Torquen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a 97 VT and in 18 months I had to do the rear main seal, steering rack, water pump and new rotors on the front. Was not a lemon as such but it cost me a fortune in the short time I owned it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #17
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I had a 1980 Range Rover ............. need I say more!

It was great fun though when it was going. Mechanical and eletrical pig ....... BUT I loved it!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

'92 NC Fairlane V8. ABS had no end of troubles (turned out to be a warped tone wheel) leading to a pedal that felt like wood, with about the same braking ability, when it played up. Then the starter motor went. Twice. Suspension was bloody awful, soft and wallowy, Seats were very uncomfortable. It's the only car that I have been happy to see the back of!

THEN I bought another one! '97 XH ute, factory dual fuel. Bought it, was sickened by the (lack of) fuel economy. 300km to a 65 litre tank of LPG, when my 3.5 litre Magna did the SAME trip using only 22 litres of LPG. Off to the tuners! One new computer and gas tank later (10 years old, needed inspection), economy improved a lot. Shame that the doors were cracked at the hinges. Ended up trading it not because it wasn't that great, but that I needed a 4WD to go where I wanted to on holidays.
Old 26-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquen
VS 6 banga auto, bought it for $4500 and spent close to 8k repairing on it, finally got it all good and then wrote it off :(
Car was a POS though, every time you'd fix something another thing would brake.
Holden V6 = never again.
My wife has a VR V6 auto which is an ex police runabout.
With 145000 on the clock, all that's needed changing is the injectors and shocks, suspension rubbers etc.
Very happy with the performance for a 6 banger!
Old 26-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
3.5 litre Magna did 300km to 22 litres of LPG
Is that even possible?
Old 26-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I must say, I've been lucky, the 3 cars Iv'e owned, (even the 12 year old Excel) have all been good to me, the only thing Iv'e ever had to replace was an exhaust system on the excel, the AU was (and probably still is, for whoever bought it after I had it) a good reliable car, and so far, the BF is showing itself to be a good replacement.
Old 26-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #22
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Im also jumping on the bandwagon of ownign a BA and now ill never own a new ford!

Although the Boss at work bought a Landrover Defender (brand new black thing with A/C CD Player and TD) it had the motor replaced at 30k km and numer other thigns go wrong with it!

Needless to say he gave that to the aprt of the companyt hat thrash cars and kill them and he no has a V8 Troopy
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #23
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I had lemon once
You idiot :togo:

I've had four cars, all of which have been far from lemons.
1. EA GL, 4 years of completely trouble-free motoring. Great first car!
2. VSII Berlina V6, I only drove it for 9 months before I sold it to my Mum but it's been a fantastic car to her for about 5 years.
3. EL Ghia 5.0, Copped a beating and still wanted more. Amazing car!
4. BA XR6T, so far 60,000k of reliable, quick and comfortable motoring. Couldn't ask any more of this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #24
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had some cars over the years, but only one lemon.

* TD 2.0L Cortina - first car built up from a wreck
* TE 2.0L Cortina
* TE 3.3L Cortina
* TE 4.1L Cortina Ghia - BEAST Wish I still had it.
* EFI 2.0L Camira - The LEMON
* XE 4.1L dual-fuel - paid $600 - few niggles - sold 3 years later for $500
* (Current) EB 4.0L dual-fuel - only probs have been with the gas conversion
* (Current) AU - perfectly reliable.

That Camira cost me so much money I didn't have at the time (on dole looking for work).

Speedo would work OK up to 70 km/h then shoot up to 180km/h (that was quick)

Horrible grabby clutch, almost digital .ie. on or off.

Fuel pump went, cost $160 at a wreckers FFS.

Engine blew. Cost me $1800, more than I paid for the car.

Head gasket blew again 3 months later, mate and I fixed it this time for $300.

Sold the P.O.S
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #25
seduced_xr
BF XR6

BA 1 mont, was the closest to a lemon we had. i will never forget it. but the things i wont forget is all the good moments we had in it not the bad ones. even tho it left us stranded 200km from anywhere when the power steering died. ( it might of been bcos old skip that landed on the bonnet 2 hours earlier)
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #26
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

O thought i had a lemon in my NA fairlane with blendor motor and selfleveing issues, so i went off fords for a while. I tryed ford again with an AU a few years later and it was a great car so i replaced it with a BA fairmont and what a dog the pannel fit was wofull the trim was pooly put together that was abain climate control issues iwth blendor motors, plagued this car from day one I think in the 100k I did from new if did 40,000 of them with a ford tech behind the wheel, and stupid me got a territory after that its better but far from good

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2009, 10:14 AM   #27
ltd
Force Fed Fords

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Translation?

Quote: