Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 23-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default buying new focus???

hey guys im looking into down sizing my car (currently got a auiii falcon) and like the look of the focus...are you guys that own them happy with them??? anything i should no..ill be buying new looking at the base model..was wondering also can ya fit the fog lights in the front bar from the upper spec models to the base model...cheers clint

waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
20focus05
I wanna XR5

We are happy with ours, we have had a few issues but its a great car to drive, its manual. very zippy. surprises a lot of people on its get up and go.
my opinion fog lights are only good in fog!!
people who drive with them on around town etc P!SSES me off, whats the point except dazzling oncoming drivers.
Sorry about the rant

great car

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Mullett
Badly Focused

I reserve a special place in hell for people who use the rear foglight. THAT should have the globe taken out of it before the car comes into the country. Apart from that, great car. And yeah, foglights are a dealer fit option, comes as a kit. Or you can put some decent lights in the front of it

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 12:45 AM   #4
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm happily satisfied with mine. only thing i don't like is the standard ride height. bit 4WDish for me, but i'm fixing that asap
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love mine! just a couple of sloppy build issues but very good small car.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've had ours for a year and 12000km now. Very happy with it.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

I downsized from a BA to the focus and I would tell you to keep your current car.

The fuel economy gain is virtually nothing (1lt/100k's) and you'll lose all your space!

But back to the question.......

Pro's:
Handles Magnificently
Drives well
Easy to use dash and interior (once you get use to the european indicators lol)
Practical layout

Con's:
Fuel Economy sucks
It is Gutless especially at speed hope you never want to overtake on a straight less than 50k's long on a highway (although I hear manual doesn't quite have this problem)
Theres only minor ways to adjust the drivers seat

Crux of the story buy a manual not an auto and you'll love it if you insist but personally I would recommend AGAINST downsizing theres just not enough to gain out of it.

Well now that I've had my rant and said my 2 bobs worth I'll just go take myself for a walk to calm down lol
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #8
Curly
SOLD: 2006 LS Focus LX

We loved ours when we first got it but became very unhappy with it and got rid of it after less than two years. Read the Fault Register thread for details.

Quick summary:
Pinged on all fuel. (even 98RON) Ford could NOT fix it.
Loud whine in auto trans. Dealer said it was "normal"
Wobble at 80 km/h. Dealer couldn't feel it.

I disagree about the fuel economy comment though. We got very good fuel economy in the Focus. (much better than our previous car which was a BA Falcon). It was such a shame about the issues we had as it could have been a great car.

We now have a Mazda3 which we are very happy with.

Last edited by Curly; 24-08-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Johndec
FG XR8 Ute and AU3 XR8

I bought an LX sedan a couple of months ago for the missus. 12 months old with 20Ks on it. She loves it. I've taken it for a few runs and haven't noticed any issues with it, especially major ones like Curly mentioned. I haven't really checked the fuel economy as I don't often drive it. It seems to have reasonable get up and go for a 4 cyl buzzbox....
Johndec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
The fuel economy gain is virtually nothing (1lt/100k's) and you'll lose all your space!
Agree on the boot space. Sucks big time.

I got rid of my AU3 XR6. Economy on that was around 14. My XR5 gets me 9.5/100. I make good economy compared to the falcon. I would have though the 2.0 litre would be better still. I know I had one as a loaner and I was averaging around 7.5. Auto as well.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno how you get such bad economy Buzz Box, ours is great, sits in the 9s doing the dreaded school and shopping runs etc.
Go for a decent drive and it drops into the 7s.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXR
Agree on the boot space. Sucks big time.
We thought the boot was huge in our Focus.

510 L in the Focus sedan
535 L in the Falcon.

Not much difference.
Old 24-08-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
Johndec
FG XR8 Ute and AU3 XR8

+1 on the sedans boot space. I reckon you could fit a couple of dead bodies in there.. Don't quote me though as I've never had had to move more than 1!!
Johndec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #14
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

i happen to laugh at all the comments on boot and fuel space.

the fuel economy in the focus manual (being 7.1L or manual and 8.0L) happens to be the best in its class for a small/mid size car. Obvious competitors would be the corolla, astra and mazda 3
i also find it quite funny that the corolla having a 1.8L motor (smaller than the focus) and having a larger fuel economy
the second point raised with regards to the boot space. It also happens to be the best in its class. 510L in the sedan and 385L in the hatch.
that happens to be around 40% larger than the corolla and 10% larger than the astra.

i love my focus. one of the best small cars out on the market. and sales figures also happen to prove my point.
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

i love my focus. diesel fuel economy is great!

lots of torque which helps alot with overtaking and makes the drive more fun

some minor built quality issues but nothing too drastic i have to complain about.

only major problem i have is my drivers window going down when i flick the switch up :S gonna have a go at fixing it though...

even if i knew about that problem before buying....i still would have bought it
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #16
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Well I had a wagon so boot space is not a comparison I was talking overall in the seating you could easily seat adults in the back not in the focus and the front leg room was HUGE.

Fuel economy BA 11lt/100k's Focus 10lt/100k's

I just don't understand 4lt 6cyl vs 2lt 4 cyl and its 1lt/100k's

Same driving, same conditions

Personally if I had of known I wouldn't have downsized because besides being smaller to park I don't see any benefit......

Additionally "If its not broken why fix it"
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #17
Mullett
Badly Focused

That doesn't sound right...I mean, it's possible to get 11s out of a falcon, but a focus would do 7 under the same conditions. If yours is using 10, then it's got a problem.

As far as the space goes, I'm very impressed with mine, the packaging is very good. Comparing it to a falcon wagon is like comparing a ute with a truck, they're two very different cars. One's the closest thing to a commercial vehicle you'll get, the other is a 20k hatchback...I know I love driving my focus more than I ever did the falcon we had...but that's a personal preference thing too, and if stowing big stuff or big people, or towing is important, then the Falc would win day in day out.

It really, really is a personal preference thing, like any car buying decision. Right now it's a buyers market for big cars, BAs with warranty I've seen for $9990, XR6Ts for 18k...

Another personal preference thing, but I'd never by a small automatic car, unless it was a CVT. That being said, i'd never buy an auto, but the inherant revviness of smaller motors makes them thirsty and annoying with automatics.

*I write so much because it's too damn hot to leave this hotel*

RM.

Old 25-08-2008, 08:00 AM   #18
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I would never buy an auto and I work on them for a living!!!

On country runs I have got our focus down to 6.2, sit on mid 8 in the city and I drive it like its stolen. highest its gone is just over 9. premium fuel only
It will eat alot of cars out there, even scares the hell out of commy drivers when they take of like a shower of sh.. and they look over and there is a focus next to them.
Our boot space spins out most people.
Our adult friends say they are also surprised at how much room they have in the back, even if they sit behind me cause I am about 6' 3".
Its like the Tardis (DR Who)
The wife got a pallet of boxes in it the other day, now that surpised the fellas at the wearhouse.
We have an EBII wagon and sure its got more room but its bigger all over. but feels like a boat compared to the focus.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #19
BlackLS
yum

10L/100kms! Auto+4cyl = :(

Worst I've got from memory was 8.9L/100kms on a tank, and that was purely Syd peak traffic. I was doing 6.2L yesterday going through the royal national park

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #20
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Guys

interesting thread... I currently own a 05 Fiesta Zetec and love the way it drives - it could do with more grunt, but that's a different story.

I've been passively looking around for an upgrade to a larger car and a good quality low usage second hand car is an option, only to get a little extra for what I want to spend than buying the same thing new.

Having spend a little time reading around the Focus threads I'm starting to consider that a Focus may be a really good way to go (performance/economy/size etc). I was otherwise thinking of an Accord Euro, Liberty etc but the value just isn't there.

Some questions for you all though... is a Focus Zetec a better buy overall than a Focus LX? What's the main differences between the LS and LT models? I'm thinking second hand and _may_ go new if I find a good deal.

Waggaclint - I don't want to hijack your thread, and I hope this helps you out too!

Your input appreciated... thanks.
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #21
Mullett
Badly Focused

For a 2nd handie, I'd get the Zetec for sure, they get the bodykit, full electric, better suspention, better tyres and rims...as for a new one, I'd get a CL, the mechanical package is identical (apart from suspention), but there's 7k difference in price for the sake of rear electrics and a bit of colour coding...

RM.

Old 25-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
We thought the boot was huge in our Focus.

510 L in the Focus sedan
535 L in the Falcon.

Not much difference.
Not really. Very close. I had a falcon, so I notice the difference I guess. But the boot space on the focus is much much bigger to the boot space I have on my motorbike :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 03:03 AM   #23
DragonMesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Well I had a wagon so boot space is not a comparison I was talking overall in the seating you could easily seat adults in the back not in the focus and the front leg room was HUGE.

Fuel economy BA 11lt/100k's Focus 10lt/100k's

I just don't understand 4lt 6cyl vs 2lt 4 cyl and its 1lt/100k's

Same driving, same conditions

Personally if I had of known I wouldn't have downsized because besides being smaller to park I don't see any benefit......

Additionally "If its not broken why fix it"
i couldn't get 10lt/100k's in my focus if i tried to. Also if you want lots of rear leg room, downsizing your car wouldn't have any benefit

Last edited by DragonMesh; 26-08-2008 at 03:12 AM.
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #24
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so far there doesnt seem to be any great answers for buying one im getting 10.5l per 100kms out of my falcon on just about every tank so id hope the focus would be a lot better than that (Id be getting a manual if i buy one) well im gonna go a take one for spin this week and see how i go...im steering towards a focus because of price and im a ford fan and hopefully its cheaper to run...my wife drives a 06 corolla auto and get 7.8l per 100km just about every tank i was under the impresion that a focus would better that....as for the fog light in the front bar i manly only want it looks as id be putting a body kit on it as some stage also plan on lowering it and putting some nice (probably 18in) wheels in it....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #25
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

For argument sake, have you thought about buying a Second Hand LR?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #26
Mullett
Badly Focused

It's all about how you'll drive it. If you're getting 10s out of a falcon in the city, the Focus will get 7s. If you're getting 10s in the country, the Focus will get high 7s or 8s. I managed to get 9.5 out of mine on a country run, but i had to AVERAGE 129 to get that, (that's seriously hard work! You go thru a town and the average just drops thru the floor) On the same run, at a steaady 100 flat, I averaged 6.0. Much more than 100 and you start to use fuel, at 120 it'd use 7.8.

Just for reference, it's a run of about 140km, some straight sections, mostly hilly, and a lot of twisties

End of the day, the Focus will always use less fuel, it's just common sense. 400kg lighter, motor half the size and much more efficiently designed, better gearbox, less drivetrain loss, and the engineers spend huge $$$ making it as efficient as possible.

RM.

Old 26-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
TITO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife has the auto Zetec it runs at about 10.5 in around town, [thirsty I say] but your after the manaul so it should be better.

If we had the chance to go back and choose between the Mazda 3 or sp23 and the Focus, the Mazda would be the better coice. The Mazda panels line up better, the rear bumber bar dose not move up and down when you grab it like it dose on the Focus. Try to get a Focus without ripples in the windscreen. Its a nice looking car love the engine,and the Zetec handles great but if your fussy like me and get annoyed with the interior trim not linning up as well as exterior get a Mazda. BTW we bought the 2008 build and were told the quality was much better. B.S. I recon.
TITO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
Mullett
Badly Focused

Sounds like the auto box models are significantly thirstier...

RM.

Old 26-08-2008, 11:05 PM   #29
kuans

To directly compare the focus against a falcon is not a fair assessment. You are comparing cars of different class categories (small-medium vs. large). Perhaps a better assessment would be to compare the new modeo against the falcon (medium-large vs.large).

I love my manual zetec. The highlight truly is its handling, which the corolla by far, isn't able to come close. I get about 6.7 litres/100kms of which 70% is highway kms.

Take the manual demo and drive it through some twisties. Observe how pin sharp the steering is and the lack of bad vices normally associated with most FWD's. The way the car sits through the twisties inspires confidence for the next curve/bend. IMHO, for the money, you'll be hard pressed to find a better handling car.
kuans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #30
Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITO

If we had the chance to go back and choose between the Mazda 3 or sp23 and the Focus, the Mazda would be the better coice.
After having owned a 2006 LS Focus and a 2008 Mazda3 I can honestly say that the Mazda3 seems to be a better car. I know you will all disagree with me but having had both this is my (experienced) opinion.