Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
BrotherEstapol
Starter Motor

Default Driver seatbelt alarm

Hey, I've got a June 07 CL Hatch, and the stupid seatbelt alarm shits me to tears!

Now I do always wear my seatbelt (cause I'm not mentally challenged), but due to force of habbit, the last thing I do before I drive off is put my seatbelt on. I've got a different head-deck in the car at the moment which has a removable faceplate, so by the time I'm ready to set off the alarm has stopped already.

ANYWAY, what I'm getting at is; has anyone sucessfully stopped the alarm from going off whenever you turn the ignition on? I mean, without putting their seatbelt on or just pushing the button on the belt down?

I found a proceedure of sorts that claims to stop it, but I donno if it'll work on the International Focus.

Quote:
1) Turn the ignition switch to ON, but DO NOT START.
2) Wait for the safety belt warning light to go OFF(1-2 minutes).
Steps 3-5 MUST be completed within 60 seconds!
3) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
4) Turn on the headlights, turn off the headlights.
5) Buckle, then un-buckle the driver's safety belt 3 times, ending with the belt un-buckled.
After step 5, the Safety Belt Warning Light will be turned on for 3 seconds.
6) Within 7 seconds of the safety belt warning light turning OFF, buckle then un-buckle the safety belt. This will disable the Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable the Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

Confirmation of the disabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds. Confirmation of the enabling of the Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light 4 times per seconds for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the safety belt light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt light 4 times per second for 3 seconds again. After confirmation, the deactivation/activation of the Belt Minder procedure is complete.
http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=38

Has anyone tried this? Does it work on the International Focus's? I'm gonna give it a shot tommorow if I get the time to, but yeah, if anyone's got any other ways to stop this stupid alarm I'd be greatfull! (and I'm sure it's not just me...)

...and please, if you're just gonna say "put your belt on before you start the car" then please don't bother posting.

Thanks in advance!!

BrotherEstapol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Hi BrotherEstapol.

Experience on the LR Focus is that that procedure doesn't work on our cars, but no harm in trying with your model.

Some have resorted to putting a screw driver through the speaker!!!!

Others may have a solution, we'll wait and see.

Welcome to the Forums......but it does seem a bit arrogant to be telling people what to post and not post in your first ever post!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
BrotherEstapol
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Hi BrotherEstapol.

Experience on the LR Focus is that that procedure doesn't work on our cars, but no harm in trying with your model.

Some have resorted to putting a screw driver through the speaker!!!!

Others may have a solution, we'll wait and see.
Well it's good to know it's not just me that gets annoyed by it!!

I searched the forum just before I went to work this morning to see if anyone had posted any other solutions(which I probably should have done that before making this thread...) and saw someone suggest taking the seatbelt on and off 10 times. Sadly that didn't work.
Funnily enough though(and it does this sometimes) the alarm didn't go off when I first turned the ignition on!(this was before I tried the solution.

Has anyone tried dismantling the buckle part and make the switch always set to on? I'd imagine it wouldn't be that difficult, but I donno much about car electrics.

I am liking the screwdriver approach at the moment though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Welcome to the Forums......but it does seem a bit arrogant to be telling people what to post and not post in your first ever post!!
Sorry if I came across as arrogant, I've just posted on alot of forums in my time, and I know that there's always at least one smartarse who posts unhelpfull comments that don't help with the problem at all. Just thought I'd try and pip them at the post. ;)

That said, I've mostly posted on IT/games related forums and not automotive ones, so I could be wrong... ;)

Last edited by BrotherEstapol; 29-07-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 29-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
Rhubarb

Drove me nuts initially too but like all these things in life you will get used to it ... or perhaps use the screwdriver.

My car was also delivered with a reverse beeping noise that was even worse but apparently this was meant to be disabled on predelivery. No problems having it removed on first service though. I asked about the seatbelt alarm at the time and was told not possible (obviously didn't know about screwdriver technique eh).

Interesting that you have experience the seatbelt alarm NOT going off when it normally would. I experience that approx 1 per week. Wish I could set it up permanently but alas thats not to be.

I have found raising 2 teenage daughters are an effective way of putting a 5 sec beep into perspective, in terms of the stresses in my life. The screwdriver will cost you a lot less though.

PS welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase. Every car has their niggles, but all in all, I actually enjoy driving mine everyday and I think the majority of members here would agree with that. So best of luck to you - let us know how you're procedure goes.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
BrotherEstapol
Starter Motor

Thanks!
I hopped into the car again this morning after my last post, and again it didn't go off...I thought I might have actually turned it off! But alas I pulled the keys out a tried again, and it's still going off!

I'm nearly on a 15 000km so when I go in for a service I am going to ask about it. I don't expect them to fix it, cause if they turn it off, I guess that makes them liable or some crap. But I'll bring up the fact that it doesn't always go off...which could come to bite me in the since they could make it so that it ALWAYS goes off.
Doubt it though, I'd put it down to some sort of design flaw thing in the car's electronics system.

Being only 22, I'm not so sure I'll have two teenage daughters any time soon, so it'll have to find another thing to take my mind off it! :P

I do love the car though, dispite me losing the rear bumper in an accident only 2 months into owning the thing!(it's all fixed now though ;))
The only problem I really had with the car was the rubbish head deck, but I've since replaced it temporarly and I've got a fancy double din one coming my way as soon as I get my tax back. It should look(and more importantly sound!) really nice once it's in.
I'll be taking some photos and making a thread once it's all finished.
Old 29-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
BlackLS
yum

The beeping noise is from a circuit board mounted speaker in the instrument cluster. If you get rid of the speaker you won't get any audible ticking from the indicators either.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I expect the Falcons are different but it might be worth a try. This is how I deactiviated it in my BFII:

1. Park brake on.

2. Gearshift in Park(Auto),Neutral(Manual)

3. Ignition in "OFF" position.

4. All doors closed.

5. Buckle Drivers seat belt.

6. Turn ignition to the "ON" position(Do not start the engine).

7. Wait until the seat belt warning light turns off.

8. Press and "HOLD" Hazard button.

9. Unbuckle drivers seat belt.

10. Buckle drivers seat belt.

11. Release Hazard button.

Confirmation of disabling the belt minder is provided by seat belt warning lamp flashing 5 times.

To re enable it simply carry out the same procedure.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
BrotherEstapol
Starter Motor

Quote:
The beeping noise is from a circuit board mounted speaker in the instrument cluster. If you get rid of the speaker you won't get any audible ticking from the indicators either.
You'd still hear the clicking from the relay on the passenger side though wouldn't you? (when indicating that is)

Is there a Haynes manual or similar for the MK2 Focus yet?

I plan to keep this car for some time, so one of them would be damn handy. Especially since my Dad and brother pull cars apart for fun.
They don't wanna touch mine though, I think they're scared off by all the fancy plastics. :P

Quote:
I expect the Falcons are different but it might be worth a try. This is how I deactiviated it in my BFII:

1. Park brake on.

2. Gearshift in Park(Auto),Neutral(Manual)

3. Ignition in "OFF" position.

4. All doors closed.

5. Buckle Drivers seat belt.

6. Turn ignition to the "ON" position(Do not start the engine).

7. Wait until the seat belt warning light turns off.

8. Press and "HOLD" Hazard button.

9. Unbuckle drivers seat belt.

10. Buckle drivers seat belt.

11. Release Hazard button.

Confirmation of disabling the belt minder is provided by seat belt warning lamp flashing 5 times.

To re enable it simply carry out the same procedure.
I'll give that a go as well, but I donno if it'll work. German design vs Aussie design ya know.

I'll at least let my mate with the XR8 know bout that though!
Old 30-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #9
BrotherEstapol
Starter Motor

After it was mentioned that the speaker for the alarm is the same speaker for the indicators, I figured out way to stop it from beeping.(well, it still beeps once, but it's better than a kick in the pants)

Just slap the indicator or harzards on when it would normally start beeping. Since they use the same speaker, only one sound can come through so the indicator overrides the alarm.

I'm gonna find out a proceedure to turn the bastard off though! :
Old 30-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Out of interest I have noticed that the beltminder had changed on the recent Focus, from April arrival onwards the Focus now gets a beltminder that only goes off at 20km/h and above...
Old 30-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

put your belt on before you start the car

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #12
kuans

To deactivate the seat belt reminder
for one ignition cycle, the driver must
buckle and unbuckle the seat belt
within 3 seconds with the ignition
switched on. (Pg. 101, Manufacturer's handbook 05/2006)
kuans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Out of interest I have noticed that the beltminder had changed on the recent Focus, from April arrival onwards the Focus now gets a beltminder that only goes off at 20km/h and above...
Cool. I have an April 08 Zetec. I thought the beltminder didn't work, until the other day I drove off without my seatbelt, then it started beeping.
Mine doesn't beep when put in reverse gear either, which is fine by me. I find that even more annoying than the beltminder.
I was going to reluctantly mention these at 'peace of mind ' service...nah.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
BrotherEstapol
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuans
To deactivate the seat belt reminder
for one ignition cycle, the driver must
buckle and unbuckle the seat belt
within 3 seconds with the ignition
switched on. (Pg. 101, Manufacturer's handbook 05/2006)
Damn, had my hopes up till I saw that part...anything else seatbelt related in that handbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Hmm, I wonder if that's a hardware or software change.
If it's software that can only be good news...potentially that means the dealer may now be able to turn it off or make it like new models.

Doubt it though...

Last edited by BrotherEstapol; 30-07-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 31-07-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
Rhubarb

Hardware or Software change ???

I don't know .... but I know I'm going to ask at my next service.

Let us know if you find out first.
Old 31-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #16
BlackLS
yum

If you go to the seatbelt part of the handbook, notice how there is a MASSIVE blank column next to it. I recon they just deleted this section for the SA built Focus as it the SA Focus doesn't have the provision to remove the beep.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #17
sotongkia
Starter Motor

Well, my 2007 focus had both the 6 loud beeps on startup , AND also the belt-minder tone when I drive above 20km/h for a distance.
sotongkia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Rhubarb

I'd bet everyone's LS focus's have the 20km/hr.

Almost no-one ever notices that though because almost no-one drives without a seatbelt on.

I'll test mine on the weekend.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #19
Rhubarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
I'd bet everyone's LS focus's have the 20km/hr.

But I'd be wrong ...

Unclipping my seltbelt when driving didn't even bring up a warning light which surprised me.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM   #20
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
Unclipping my seltbelt when driving didn't even bring up a warning light which surprised me.
Drive a bit further with your seatbelt off, the beeper doesn't come on straight away, but scares the crap out of you a few moments later :

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 07:35 PM   #21
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

My god reading this post makes me feel SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better because like the initial bloke this alarm thing sends me NUTS!!!

I'm telling you the first thing I do when I get in the car next is grab the manual and go to Pg 101 lol
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #22
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
put your belt on before you start the car

The best way to do it!!!

really simple too

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #23
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20focus05
The best way to do it!!!

really simple too
Except when you want to shut the gate behind you. :
Old 25-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #24
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

seatbelt alarm only goes on if you havent clipped the buckel in and you drive over 20kmh. it will keep doing it until it clips in. the alarm wont go off if it was clipped in and then you unclip the belt.
AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 07:36 PM   #25
20focus05
I wanna XR5

Anthony thats what I have found too

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2008, 07:51 PM   #26
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont even clip it in simply press down on the red release button for 5 seconds then you can start it up to warm up while you put on ur lippy etc Or in my case tune in the radio or fire up the satnav.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post