Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Default Adelaide street race charges

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...7-2682,00.html

I heard on the radio & tv all day today about how the (surviving) magill road drag racer has been charged. no jokes about him not having a leg to stand on. sounds like he's going to be sentanced to death by public stoning.

in 'not widely reported' news though...
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...9-2682,00.html

discuss :

Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The male in the Magill road race was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and the female in the second story was just charged for failing to give way. Completely different yet the results of their actions were the same. Being fatalities. Go figure...
The female shouldnt be allowed to drive again as an absolute minimum punishment. Cant see how she could get away with a suspended sentence for the SECOND offence as she didnt learn from the first one. How many times has she done this type of thing but not been caught out?
The male should have died with the others. Bit harsh I know but I have no sympathy for them at all.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WHAT THE...TWO DEATHS same spot SAME FOOL driving.. NO JAIL TIME.. SHE GOES HOME TO HER YOUNG FAMILY... YEAH RIGHT... Pottery
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #4
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

If you are hoon driving it is a criminal offence right? so if you kill someone while hoon driving you should be charged to the full extent of the law.
seXCmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

ahh, but theres the catch, the woman who failed to give way is in her late 30's, a mother of 2, happily married, not a hoon or irresponsible.....

therefore, no brownie points to be gained by giving her anything moe than a slap on the wrist!

however, the import driving, 22yo (so possibly on his P plates) street racing hoon..... hang him high and lets make an example of him!

what interests me is the skyline and WRX were racing, both supposedly travelling at around 150km/h, but when they collided, the impact was sufficient to tear one of the vehicles in half..... for the impact to be that severe, either the vehicles were "racing" on a collision course, or at least one of the vehicles was constructed in such a way that it took very little to do that much damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seXCmont
If you are hoon driving it is a criminal offence right? so if you kill someone while hoon driving you should be charged to the full extent of the law.
but failing to give way, something that is irresponsible, negligent and in this case, fatal..... on two occasions is any different?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

i would like to see the schematics or whatever they call it to see how it happened and the car to end up like that. nearly looks like sumthing out of the movies it being in half like that, or also judging by those pics it looks like a half cut that wasnt done properly. a lot of those import guys doing those half cuts for sum reason and this one didnt pay off.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You may be right seXCmont regarding the half cuts. The way I understood the accident was both cars were heading for a stobie pole, as one hit the pole the other car slammed into the first, pushing it harder against the pole.
Which would certainly help with splitting it in half.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #8
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

true, she should also be banned or something from driving after having made the same mistake twice. She did cause a traffic violation in the end and it ended in a horrible result.

if thats the case about the car hitting a stobie pole then the other crashing into that car it would certainly help the splitting fact, but that would have to be one very strong stobie pole to cut right through a car like that and not just have it bent around. makes me think that this will cause even more stricter rules and regulations and have heard that fines and rego is already going up :(
Old 06-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #9
Joshvee
A New Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by seXCmont
I think one of the basic problems in this country is that in cases like this, the full extent of the law isn't much at all compared to the pain caused.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #10
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Typical, mother of two gets off on a slap on the wrist when she basically done similar things, did hers result in deaths too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

The street racer, book thrown at him and so it should be.

Woman who didn't give way. First time possibly a mistake or negligence but you think that contributing to the death of another motorist would at least wake you up from a personal perspective.

2nd time not giving way at the same intersection and causing death to me is tantamount to manslaughter. LONG stint in the pokey.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
The street racer, book thrown at him and so it should be.

Woman who didn't give way. First time possibly a mistake or negligence but you think that contributing to the death of another motorist would at least wake you up from a personal perspective.

2nd time not giving way at the same intersection and causing death to me is tantamount to manslaughter. LONG stint in the pokey.

HERE HERE!!

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Why the double standards? Why does the mother get a second chance? The fact she is married and has children should have NO IMPACT on court decisions or how she is portrayed in the media.

Killing someone is killing someone, regardless if you just pulled into a busy street and T boned someone or doing 150 KM/H in a 60 zone. The drivers were in way over there heads in BOTH situations but yet one has been able to do it TWICE, I wonder why?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

nice to see we all agree that one death is one death too many, and that the woman who failed to give way twice leading to two seperate fatalities got off lightly

*but*

what looks better in the sensationalist media which is then going to get bandied about by the bleating hearts and do-gooders, till a politician feels the need to "earn" him/herself a few more votes and steps up demanding tighter restrictions and harsher penalties? sorry, but the 22yo streetracing hoon gets screwed before he even sees the courtroom!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
Thankfull
Banned

The Speed limit on Magill road is 60 kph.....it is a densley populated urban main road.

The boy racers where doing 150 kph........ on Magill road, despite all the warnings from the State government of South Australia about cracking down on hoon drivers.

The Judge is going to have to weigh up, and take into consideration that while the hoon driver lost a leg, and as a result will probably never drive again....there where also dozens of familys asleep only metres away.

nuff said by me on this...
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what is realy insane is the cow appealed her 18month loss of licence,
WTF she has shown a complete contempt for her victims.
she should have been jailed and loss of licence for 10 years minimum
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
BHDOGS
Banned

Give the guy who lost his leg a fake one make the women who failed to give way bend over and let him kick her in the **** then throw both of them off a cliff onto jagged rocks justice served NEXT
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I like the way you think. This scares me.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoxr
Completely different yet the results of their actions were the same. Being fatalities. Go figure..
Easy answer. She had the better lawyer.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Easy answer. She had the better lawyer.
Seems she did have a good lawyer. The big difference is the charges the cops laid. One for hoon driving (premeditated action ) and the other for simply not obeying a road rule - (stupidity if you like even though she had done the exact thing before)

Seems their may be a fine line between hoon driving/speeding and disobeying another road rule even for the 2nd time.
If it was a semi driver disobeying the same give way sign causing a fatality each time would he still have a licence or his job?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

True. Perhaps I should change that to 'bad prosecution' as well as a good Lawyer?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #22
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the difference in charges is simply because, one person made an error (two, but you can only be charged on the merits of each one separately) and the other person made a decision to go what seemed very fast. it seems by reading the posts here, he was 90kph over the speed limit. there is a massive difference in what they both did

while i would agree that she has got off very lightly, do we lock everyone up for an error, even if they are trying to do the right thing in a potentially lethal but legal weapon. perhaps if she was trained correctly from the start and was retested on a regular base (like we all should be), this may not have happened. the other driver however was downright stupid and was realistically an accident waiting to happen, whether it be he losing control, the other driver hitting him, a pedestrian, animal or car moving into his path suddenly. there is a big difference in what the 2 driver's were doing. one was dangerous for a second or two and unfortunately someone paid the price. the other was consciously dangerous for many more seconds and was much more likely to have an accident because of it

alot of people here suggest the law makers and the journalists are too one sided for the hoons of the world. it seems to me that most people here are just as one sided - but to the more dangerous side. driving is very dangerous at the best of times, but if someone is to drive 90kph over the speed limit, they are extremely lucky to ever be released if it all goes wrong
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #23
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
That mother is responsible for the death of two people, she killed two peoples kids, teach her a lesson and kill both of hers and see how she likes it. Both of them are douchebags and both deserve punishment but because she is a mother? How does that get her any leeway?
Alright, don't mind me I was just ****ed off, I came up with a response:

Alright, we probably all know the story about the Adelaide hoons who decided to drive 150km/h in a suburban area:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...7-2682,00.html

In the hoon's case, the crash was pretty bad and resulted in a death, plus he lost a leg and seriously injured a passenger. You can see from the picture that the cars were screwed up badly. Now I don't support "hooning" especially a down right stupid case like that one, but look what he was charged with:

Riccardo Rocha, 22, was charged today with one count of causing death by dangerous driving and two counts of aggravated causing serious harm and will appear in the Adelaide Magistrates Court in a later date.

Alright, fair enough. But lets also compare his situation with another persons:

This one is about a mother who CAUSED TWO FATAL ACCIDENTS:

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...9-2682,00.html

This is her charge:

A FARMER'S wife convicted of twice driving through a give-way sign at the same intersection, causing two fatal accidents in seven years, has been given a suspended sentence on appeal.

She is directly responsible FOR THE DEATH OF TWO PEOPLE and she gets 8 months in jail, and even has the nerve to appeal her 8 month jail sentence and gets off on a suspended one. I can tell you now, the "hoon" who was involved in an accident killing one person and injuring another is going to be locked away for much longer than that. The stupid even had the nerve to try to appeal her 18 month loss of licence! Shows how much she gives a damn about the two people she killed.

I thought the law was the law, why does the 22 year old hoon get treated way harsher than the 38 year old mother? There is way too much discretionary power that the judges have. The hoon doesn't even have a chance, before he even steps into the court room, its obvious he has already lost. Look at this:

"She is a hard-working, dedicated mother of a young family ... this is not the case of a hoon driver, or an irresponsible or daredevil driver."

Oh okay, because she has kids and a job, does that mean she gets off? She still killed two people, both at the same intersection. But the hoon, has to have an example made of him, even though his crime was of a lesser degree, he is going to cop a much harsher punishment.

Similar to the guy who decided to street race in his GT Falcon up against a Ferrari at the lights, he backed off when he got to the limit, the Ferrari kept going, lost control and slammed his car into a pole, killing him and his girlfriend, the guy in the Falcon got some jail time, I can't remember how much but I recall seeing it on this forum. He got the jail time because the other guy killed himself through his own actions. I thought people were supposed to be responsible for their own actions? Again, another unfair treatment inside the courts.

Your opinions please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #24
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

our justice system is we are to to soft with punishment both should get LIFE in prison! There are just some thing we should adopt from America and there justice system is one of them.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 PM   #25
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daymoe

I agree with all you said.
A difference between them is the Hoon is part of the age group (20-29yrs old) that is very high profile at the moment and the gov't is cracking down real hard on because that age group of males is largely responsible for the blowout in the current road toll. (61 compared to 36 last year)
There is no cracking down on older females who dont have a sense of awareness and concentraction when driving. They havent even given out her name have they?
So the older female is not part of a group who are responsible for many deaths on the road. That should be a real consolation to the families of her 2 fatals. They must be saying - gee, at least they weren't killed by a hoon. :
Old 07-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #26
Thankfull
Banned

I think one of the Main reasons that the Hoon Driver is in such big trouble legaly, is his choice of raceway.

While any deaths in this accident are unfortunate, there was the potential for further deaths had those cars... for example.... left the road at high speed, out of control
plowing into family homes either side of the road.

That is where these boy racers have really got themselves a problem with the authorities here in South Australia.

Magill road is a 60 kph road....because it is a densley populated Urban Main Road, that at one end only just stops short of the heart of Adelaide City .....

That is where this boy has got himself some real trouble....legally...the potential for collatoral damage and death of innocent bystanders in their own homes.

I remember back when the local News services first reported the accident here....the Police on the scene where just shaking their heads in disbelief.....mayby the Port Wakefield road with its wide open lanes higher speed limits, and considerably great distances from the road sides to any urban dwelling....but Magill road ?!!??

Suicidal !
Thankfull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #27
frysie87
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankfull
I think one of the Main reasons that the Hoon Driver is in such big trouble legaly, is his choice of raceway.

While any deaths in this accident are unfortunate, there was the potential for further deaths had those cars... for example.... left the road at high speed, out of control
plowing into family homes either side of the road.

That is where these boy racers have really got themselves a problem with the authorities here in South Australia.

Magill road is a 60 kph road....because it is a densley populated Urban Main Road, that at one end only just stops short of the heart of Adelaide City .....

That is where this boy has got himself some real trouble....legally...the potential for collatoral damage and death of innocent bystanders in their own homes.

I remember back when the local News services first reported the accident here....the Police on the scene where just shaking their heads in disbelief.....mayby the Port Wakefield road with its wide open lanes higher speed limits, and considerably great distances from the road sides to any urban dwelling....but Magill road ?!!??

Suicidal !
thats murderous intent >_>
frysie87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #28
20focus05
I wanna XR5

gee I hope it was not the woman I nearly T-Boned the other day!!
The thing that got me most is that a few weeks earlier she nearly caused a similar accident with someone else!!

She looked at me if it was my fault, lucky I was doing 50 in a 60 zone other wise the one meter I stopped from her would have been gone!

SLam the boy racers in urban areas. Dumb

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*

Last edited by RG; 07-06-2009 at 10:22 AM.
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #29
Barry_v
rocknrolla

there are so many different ways of looking at this. but perhaps the courts should consider that all the victims on magill road made a decision to be in a dangerous street race. the victims of the farmers wife made no so choice, they paid the ultimate price through no fault of theirs.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #30
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well boys, learn from this ... do not trust the legal system. It is not about justice but about who cries the most with one of the judges pals on the payroll besides them.
Dead is dead whether caused by a hoon or a farmer's wife. 1st time is a mistake, second time is negligence. Everyone makes mistakes and sometimes someone else pays for them. To do it twice at the same intersection is not another mistake. Lock her us at least as long as the hoon.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post