Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Question AIRBAGS ? had a crash and airbags didnt go off

last night i had a pretty big crash ,and the nore i thought about it i couldnt work out why the airbags didnt go off.I hit a guard rail and parked car at or between 85 and 95 kmh ,What speed or force should ve set them off and if they didnt go off at that speed then when would they have ????????????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

what car, and where are the air bags located.
hey, did it hurt?
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
what car, and where are the air bags located.
hey, did it hurt?

Sorry BA XR 8 ute and suprisingly not airbag in steering wheel

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
sfr rob

****, really the bags didn't deploy? that doesn't sound right, if you were doing 60+ and hit something front on, you would hope the bags deploy no?
Got any photos of the damage, I know that the impact has to reach a certain point before the activating things are squashed so maybe you didn't hit them in the right spot or something?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did your head hit the steering wheel? If it did, then there is a problem. If not, did you just want them to go off for the hell of it? Aparently they are not like a nice soft pillow, they are there to avoid serious head injuries
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
did your head hit the steering wheel? If it did, then there is a problem. If not, did you just want them to go off for the hell of it? Aparently they are not like a nice soft pillow, they are there to avoid serious head injuries

how much faster do you have to go ??????the airbag sensor was all crushed up in the radiator,i will get pics in a couple of days .The car is off to hospital

Old 04-06-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Was the inpact front on ? A partial side impact may not activate the air bags.

As mentioned they should only go off in a situation that would likely cause serious injury and quite often an exploding air bag can do other damage or injury.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
GRNKPR

it was front on allright ,would ve got a perfect 100 if there was a target on the rear of the other car

Old 04-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNKPR
it was front on allright ,would ve got a perfect 100 if there was a target on the rear of the other car
GRNKPR

Can you please PM me the description of collision(s) in detail. Pics when you get them would be good too.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
sfr rob

hahaha, mate I cant believe that... I wouldn't be happy if they didn't go off.
Put it this way, my friends sister wrote her BA xr8 ute off a few months ago, lost it coming out of a street in the wet, up the gutter, through a small shrub and into the brick fence ( probably traveling up to 50KMH ) air bags were deployed and punched her in the nose. So I don't understand how yours didn't do the same.???
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
hahaha, mate I cant believe that... I wouldn't be happy if they didn't go off.
Put it this way, my friends sister wrote her BA xr8 ute off a few months ago, lost it coming out of a street in the wet, up the gutter, through a small shrub and into the brick fence ( probably traveling up to 50KMH ) air bags were deployed and punched her in the nose. So I don't understand how yours didn't do the same.???

why i am concerend if they fix it what happens next time if they are needed and they dont work i have lost a little confidence in the car

Old 04-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #12
pecker73
Falcon Addict

GRNKPR... What are you doing.... Not another case of being passed by a rear wheel ? :

You o.k ?

Car fixable or off to Falcon ute heaven ?

Those pesky air-bags are fickle.... I'll tell you a story about a shopping trolley and the BF front air bags...

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Do you believe that you are more injured than you would have been had the airbags deployed? If not then that's your reason, the car decided that they were of no benefit to you going off. Hope you are OK.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #14
redef

yeah i would get that ****** checked might be faulty airbag. was the airbag light on after the crash?? if your still not sure when you get it back stack it again but harder this time lol
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:06 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

If you walked away then it didn't need to go off.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

The airbags only arm once you're travelling over 30kms/hr, obviously thats not the problem in this case but it explains why they dont always go off.

As has been said, if its not a full on front impact it can sometimes not be enough to trigger them, but from what youre saying there is no reason they shouldnt have. Have you changed a steering wheel or unplugged the seats?

Got me stuffed but I'd be wanting to know why they didnt go off too.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #17
Aeron
DJR Fan

The airbag sensors (accelerometer) work off a rate of deceleration. If the car that you ran up the back of absorbs a lot of the impact then your car may not have decelerated at a dangerous rate, and would not set the airbag off.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #18
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker73
GRNKPR... What are you doing.... Not another case of being passed by a rear wheel ? :

You o.k ?

Car fixable or off to Falcon ute heaven ?

Those pesky air-bags are fickle.... I'll tell you a story about a shopping trolley and the BF front air bags...

yeah hasnt been a good two weeks bit im fine racecar fine but BA well ,not looking the best and im FINE little sore but nothing outta control

B2f i was going over 30 ks as to not full front impact radiator firmly against engine ?steering wheel and seat no change at all car all stock.Rang Ford to query them they said its in the hands of insurance they can sought it out .Rang insurance company to let them know my concern they said they didnt make the car !!!!!!!!

next couple o days it will all get clearer

Bossxr8 ithink you are missing the point

Redef no lights at all on now or before

redxr347 yeah im ok

Old 04-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeron
The airbag sensors (accelerometer) work off a rate of deceleration. If the car that you ran up the back of absorbs a lot of the impact then your car may not have decelerated at a dangerous rate, and would not set the airbag off.

90 ks to a stop i hope thats not too dangerous

Old 04-06-2007, 09:30 PM   #20
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
If you walked away then it didn't need to go off.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...highlight=audi

really?
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Thats is true.

There is not alot know by the general public about how an airbag works...

80km/h into a solid wall has more chance of triggering them then a 80km/h impact with a "soft" movable object.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #22
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8

wasnt as bad as that but not a lot on front will be much good !!!!!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #23
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk O'lass
Thats is true.

There is not alot know by the general public about how an airbag works...

80km/h into a solid wall has more chance of triggering them then a 80km/h impact with a "soft" movable object.

60 ks isnt around 90 ks ?????????

Old 04-06-2007, 09:39 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
60 ks isnt around 90 ks ?????????

that was an opps and an Edit...and just an example...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #25
GRNKPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk O'lass
that was an opps and an Edit...and just an example...

i understand but you would think they would

Old 04-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
Aeron
DJR Fan

Quote:
90 ks to a stop i hope thats not too dangerous
If you did 90Km/h to a stop you'd be dead or your steering wheel would be stuck to your face.
You said, "(you hit a) guard rail and parked car at or between 85 and 95 kmh". A few questions. What car did you hit? Were you doing 85 - 95Km/h and hit the car without braking? Or were you doing, say, 100Km/h and decelerated to 85 – 95Km/h when you impacted? Also, did the impact trigger the inertia switch?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #27
GRNKPR

Quote:
If you did 90Km/h to a stop you'd be dead or your steering wheel would be stuck to your face.
You said, "(you hit a) guard rail and parked car at or between 85 and 95 kmh". A few questions. What car did you hit? Were you doing 85 - 95Km/h and hit the car without braking? Or were you doing, say, 100Km/h and decelerated to 85 – 95Km/h when you impacted? Also, did the impact trigger the inertia switch?
hit a toyota seca 85 to 90 and hit the car without braking

Old 04-06-2007, 09:57 PM   #28
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn phil!!, good to hear that your ok, bugger the car mate, as long as your good.

Will catch up soon.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #29
Aeron
DJR Fan

So how’s your neck??

Old 04-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #30
slo351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive seen commodores roll down hills and seat belts snap in half with drivers throwin from cars and still not go off.. the car was sent to monash uni for further inspection.. on the other side. i have seen them go off and instead on blowing out thro the dash, they have gone up out the front window...
slo351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post