Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
xwgthoe

Default New V8's for future models??

Heard on grapevine that yesterday Ford has just received 20 push rod engines (either 6.2 or 6.3ltr) for testing. Are they going to drop the 5.4 in leiu of the new beasts to reduce problems they have wih 5.4??

Anyone heard anything similar??

xwgthoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

problems with the 5.4?
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would they drop the QOHC for a pushrod?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
DarkXr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would have thought to boss engines would be far more advanced than a push rod engine both in terms of power, econ and emissions.....
Old 17-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

For more power. Technology aint important, results are!

For the record, I'm a refinement/economy person before a V8-powaahhhh! hoon, but I still would like to see something better than what the Boss is coming up with.

"6.2Lt BOSS: Make the Boss work for you."

Geez, this marketing thing isn't very hard is it! :
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Talk is the Quad cam set-up is too pricey, and not much point having it if they rev limit it to 5950Rpm ot whatever it is, the poor thing just gets going then the damn fuel cuy out kick in.

6.2L Boss Sounds nice...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
6.2L Boss Sounds nice...
Especially when fuel prices are going up!

I think if they do anything a bigger bore/shorter stroke mod engine would be better than going back to pushrods...
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
FPV

I wouldnt like to see Ford/FPV go back to pushrod engines, especially since they made the technical advance to DOHC on both I6's and V8's(Boss V8s). There has now been 2 threads on pushrod engines but i dont know of any pushrod engines in the current ford US line up, unless its some kind of truck engine which i dont know of. Ford were planning to develop a new engine called the hurricane v8 which was 6.2-6.3 litres of capacity but im sure that had overhead camshafts as well, anyway that engine development was cancelled. There was a thread from a user on this board over a year ago that FPV got to test supercharged v8's for orion. I think we will see a more aussie developed boss DOHC v8 for orion or a supercharged Boss DOHC v8.
FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #9
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget, Ford like GM is in big trouble financially and the bean counters don't care what the engine is if they think it presents a more profitable business case.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Don't forget, Ford like GM is in big trouble financially and the bean counters don't care what the engine is if they think it presents a more profitable business case.
Pedro,

I am afraid you might be onto something there. We all know that both the General and Henry are bleeding badly and during these situations the bean counters are listened to, not the engineers...... sadly it is a case of short term thinking by the corporate types.

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV
I think we will see a more aussie developed boss DOHC v8 for orion or a supercharged Boss DOHC v8.
Spot on! That or a twin turbo Boss V8. More likeley supercharged. I will be camping outside the dealership when they go on sale.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Wouldn't it cost mor to develop a new 6.2L Pushrod V9 then to keep producing the one they already have?
Old 17-03-2006, 09:59 PM   #13
FPV

Quote:
Wouldn't it cost mor to develop a new 6.2L Pushrod V9 then to keep producing the one they already have?
Yeh that is true, we already have a great v8 range that is still in its first stage of development, if they were to change to an enitrely different motor it would cost alot more. And as has been mentioned in this thread petrol costs are a concern. Does anyone think petrol costs have contributed to HSV's mass discount price slashing of the LS2 engined cars. I think a 5.4 would be perceived by the public as a more appropriate engine.
Old 17-03-2006, 10:01 PM   #14
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
V9 that will be new well there is a W10 and a W12 out there and a V5 : sorry I had to be a smart ar$e
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was under the impression it was a weight problem not a boss problem ???
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 10:35 PM   #16
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
V9 that will be new well there is a W10 and a W12 out there and a V5 : sorry I had to be a smart ar$e
If they are going to buld an all new engine may aswell build something never done before right? new 2007 XR9 Falcon... :king:

Quote:
Does anyone think petrol costs have contributed to HSV's mass discount price slashing of the LS2 engined cars.
I think it looks bad for them when a 5.4L makes 290Kw and a 6L makes 297Kw, don't forget the final decition is usually with the ladies of the household another reason why the Typhoon is selling so well.
Old 17-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i was under the impression it was a weight problem not a boss problem ???
That is the problem Boss is an awesome performing Engine no doubt about that :
Old 17-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #18
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Ford were planning to develop a new engine called the hurricane v8 which was 6.2-6.3 litres of capacity but im sure that had overhead camshafts as well, anyway that engine development was cancelled.
Sure was cancelled. Which leaves the question, where would this 6.2L/6.3L engine come from ???

I didn't think Ford had anything in this capacity (big block aside).

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If they are going to buld an all new engine may aswell build something never done before right? new 2007 XR9 Falcon... :king:

I think it looks bad for them when a 5.4L makes 290Kw and a 6L makes 297Kw, don't forget the final decition is usually with the ladies of the household another reason why the Typhoon is selling so well.
havent we been through this many times? HSV detuned the 6 litre straight out the crate, with the crappiest exhaust system they could find, the FPV Boss 290 is locally assembled for performance. the 6 litre is faster and more economical, the cars are very similar in size, weight, gear ratios and aerodynamics - Ford could do with a 6.2L engine pushrod or chain driven, it doesn't really matter as long as it's refined and performs well and can run on E85
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
havent we been through this many times? HSV detuned the 6 litre straight out the crate, with the crappiest exhaust system they could find, the FPV Boss 290 is locally assembled for performance. the 6 litre is faster and more economical, the cars are very similar in size, weight, gear ratios and aerodynamics - Ford could do with a 6.2L engine pushrod or chain driven, it doesn't really matter as long as it's refined and performs well and can run on E85
Oh please? Detuned! Get a grip!

The GenIV LS2 in Corvette form makes 400hp 400ftlbs. That's 299kW 542Nm.

In HSV form it makes 398hp 391ftlbs. That's 297kW 530Nm.

Why? Commodore and Corvette are very different cars underneath and therefore the exhaust system layout differs. They did not deliberately de-tune anything.... :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 01:06 PM   #21
danv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

Why? Commodore and Corvette are very different cars underneath and therefore the exhaust system layout differs. They did not deliberately de-tune anything.... :

Actually the standard C6 vette is detuned for emissions.
The 6L V8 has heaps more potential than people actually realize.
danv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #22
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danv8
Actually the standard C6 vette is detuned for emissions.
The 6L V8 has heaps more potential than people actually realize.
Exactly, i read somewhere the current HSV's dont even have extractors fitted. So 297kw/530Nm is a real good number if u ask me
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #23
Dean C

Could the new engine be like whats in the new Chrysler V8's where the computer can shut down 2 cyclinders for better fuel economy?
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #24
LUXO_8
windsor user

the chrysler V8's shut down 4 cyls, and this is what i would be thinking of ford were to introduce a pushrod engine....

the chrysler technology works by the lifters for the one bank lifting themselves away from the cam. i dont know how the rest of it works but.....

i dont think this would be easily implemented on an OHC engine....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #25
FPV

The reason why HSV did not fit extractors to the LS2 was due to the sound, i am not sure exactly what sound it would be. They said americans prefer the sound of the engine with the extractors and the australians wouldn't, because it might have sounded like something was wrong with the engine.
Old 18-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #26
NEG
Diabolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
Dont forget the H16 :P
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #27
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

Steffo, i was just making the point that there is no superiority to Ford because of similar kws from 5.4 vs 6.0 don't take it so personally - physically the Ford engine is bigger and heavier , with bigger heads, hence the bulge required - you honestly think that Holden dont have the next few power upgrades planned? I am sure they will fit extractors when they want 320kw in the VE series 2 Clubsport or whatever. and reprogram ECU, larger air intake when the VF comes out with 350kw. Personally i think 220kw is more than enough, but Ford and Holden tend to sell new models on power output increase.. I wonder what the 2020 GTS will have? 3.5Mw???
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

This thread topic is one of the most stupid rumours i've ever seen on this forum, and there have been some dozzies. Ford do not make pushrod V8's anymore, so how FPV would get hold of one, make it emission compliant and then make it fit is beyond me. The 6.2 they wanted to make was SOHC, before it was cancelled. The only other way to get to 6 litres is with a different block with bigger bores, like the SHM alloy version.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 04:31 PM   #29
FPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
This thread topic is one of the most stupid rumours i've ever seen on this forum, and there have been some dozzies. Ford do not make pushrod V8's anymore, so how FPV would get hold of one, make it emission compliant and then make it fit is beyond me. The 6.2 they wanted to make was SOHC, before it was cancelled. The only other way to get to 6 litres is with a different block with bigger bores, like the SHM alloy version.
Yeah your right. Just evaluating possibilities, but as people have said Ford don't have money to be spending on new engines and i don't see them going back to pushrod now since they virtually have all v8's with OHC minimum. Im sure we will see an evolution of the Boss v8 in orion.
Old 18-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #30
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwgthoe
Heard on grapevine that yesterday Ford has just received 20 push rod engines (either 6.2 or 6.3ltr) for testing. Are they going to drop the 5.4 in leiu of the new beasts to reduce problems they have wih 5.4??

Anyone heard anything similar??
I heard a similar story, but they were sohc 5.4 with blowers.......
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post