Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #1261
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Australia housing bubble

What’s your scheme to meet the “Over 50s” criteria? Marry a cougar or senior bear?

If you’re within about an hour’s cycling of a regional centre including hospital, Centrelink, you’re pretty well covered against loss of licence or reduced employment.

The downside is a 100km round trip to Bunnings...
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #1262
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Modular/prefab home, have also been investigating these options.

I'm open to thinking outside the box.
The numbers don't add up. If you truly compare like for like they are dearer. Kit homes are appallingly expensive. Even prefab frames usually end up dearer than onsite construction. All this stuff SHOULD be cheaper but it never is.

I know you aren't talking about kit homes but last I ran the numbers maybe 5 years ago and I could only find about 1/3rd the asking price in what is supplied. So a $100k kit home had about $35k in materials. Even I was shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
FC, traditional owner-builder not an option? Surely you could scrape around the traps (eg forums like this) for necessary subbies to take the lottery out of that aspect?
Owner building can save you massive $$ IF you know what you are doing. Shopping for deals, quantity surveying and critical paths.

It is less difficult to find good tradespeople than it is to get them to finish in a timely manner. They seem to "start" the job then disappear. No other tradesperson will touch a job that's been "started" so you are stuck. If I were owner building I'd do a contract then offer them 10% cash off the books if they finish in a reasonable time and do a good job. That way the tax office gets paperwork and joe blogs gets beer money...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #1263
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm effectively a 'project manager' at work for new products from concept, business model and market intel to being in the hands of a customer but it's only dealing with the retards within my industry - I don't think I could pull off the 'owner builder' project without burning myself.

My strengths are in 'networking' (nepotism) - I don't have contacts within construction like I have the thousand eyes on the piece of **** rolled in glitter we know as 'automotive'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What’s your scheme to meet the “Over 50s” criteria? Marry a cougar or senior bear?

If you’re within about an hour’s cycling of a regional centre including hospital, Centrelink, you’re pretty well covered against loss of licence or reduced employment.

The downside is a 100km round trip to Bunnings...
Get the oldies to do the wheeling and dealing, then I'll drive in with the Lebonator - only old white men own LWB sedans

Otherwise my other two options are:

A) Play the race card
B) Complain on age discrimination grounds

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 06:02 PM   #1264
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Those of you who live in SA - what's the opinions on Gawler region? Is that still Adelaide or is it the regional fringe of Adelaide?

Doesn't seem far out, like Sunbury region here in Melbourne being about 40km North of Melbourne.

There's a heap of 'over 50s' retirement living advertised in some place called Hillier - I could breathe some life into that joint
Gawler is regional fringe as far as Im concerned. A bit like Victor Harbor is the same but Victor Harbor has beaches and a decent level of tourism.

Gawler is on the cusp of farm areas but still has its own infrastructure and about 45mins from the city via the Northern Expressway. Is close to the Barossa Valley/Tanunda/Nuriootpa wine region.

There isnt a huge amount out there to look at if you arent into visiting cellar doors. Good food from some of the local restaurants and cafes though.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #1265
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Oh? wages haven't been going up by 8% long term, where do you reckon the money will be coming from to keep that ball rolling along?

When you say drop by 5% a year do you mean they drop by 5% as well as not achieving the 8% compounding...cause that is 13%
Yes wages have been stagnating for years. The entry level price for a 3 bed house in the western suburbs of Melbourne is around $470 - $500k. Getting the deposit is the hard part.

I remember looking at these types of houses a few years ago and it was around the $400-$420k mark.

My maths is poor average at best, but I see what you mean by the 13%. Long term though it goes up. Also being able to do things to your own home. I'm sure it's nothing new to a lot of people here... but being able to shop for curtains was a nice thing. Putting up pictures and even failing digging up a large yukka plant is quite the novelty to me :-)

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #1266
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Those of you who live in SA - what's the opinions on Gawler region? Is that still Adelaide or is it the regional fringe of Adelaide?

Doesn't seem far out, like Sunbury region here in Melbourne being about 40km North of Melbourne.

There's a heap of 'over 50s' retirement living advertised in some place called Hillier - I could breathe some life into that joint
And grab a granny...........
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #1267
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm down the other side of Adelaide and will never live anywhere north of the CBD particularly past Grand Junction Rd.

When you live in Gawler you have no need to travel "all that way" to the city, everything you need is where you are.
One of my BILs lived in Hillier for awhile, nice area and loved visiting...pretty quiet from what I could tell.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #1268
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I'm down the other side of Adelaide and will never live anywhere north of the CBD particularly past Grand Junction Rd.

When you live in Gawler you have no need to travel "all that way" to the city, everything you need is where you are.
One of my BILs lived in Hillier for awhile, nice area and loved visiting...pretty quiet from what I could tell.
Ah yes I see this 'Grand Junction Road' mentioned by various people living in Adelaide, someone said they need to build a wall and keep everyone on the North side of this border out of the city

I see you have rivalry going between North and South like we have depending on which side of our lovely brown river you are from

What's the consensus of working North but living South and opposite? From my limited driving around Adelaide it's easy to navigate but lacks freeways that Melbourne has - ie everything is traffic light to traffic light rather hauling *** down the multi lane freeway.

How long would it take to go from southern suburbs to it's industrial northern suburbs like Port Adelaide for example?

Is it like Melbourne where it can be 2-3 hours going East - West and the opposite way in peak hour or is it only 45 mins or so?

Also what's the opinions on areas like Taperoo? Appears to be cheap for an area that's a couple streets in from the beach?
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #1269
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
And grab a granny...........
I'll have you know some of the ladies of a certain age (similar to mine) are very nice propositions thank you.

I'll take a 55 yo all day ahead of those 20 somethings I see about the place.

You young people (shakes fist, adjusts denture)...
4 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #1270
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Most important of all.

Your place, your terms, your ability to do as you please.

Priceless.
Plenty of people looking to gouge home owners though..

As in my case the council rates jumped from 1800 a year to 4500 in 3 years.

Thats almost 100 bucks a week for nothing...I remember paying that in rent.

Point is with all the increases in house prices all the hanger ons like govt charge you on the basis of some so called "valuation" and a fictitious net annual value??

I recently built a $15k shed...got a revised rates notice...half way through the year for another 50 bucks!!

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #1271
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
I'll take a 55 yo all day ahead of those 20 somethings I see about the place.

nah...you obviously never tried two 27 year olds (concurrently)?

Old 10-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #1272
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

It occurs to me some of you might not be aware of the formula.

People buy emotionally, usually it's the female making the decision. They "fall in love" with a house. Banks don't, and since most people need finance the bank appointed valuer stops a lot of people paying over the odds.

So start with the land. Land makes money, houses cost money.

The valuer knows what the average block in the area is worth and then corrects for views (+20-30%), HV powerlines, Toxic waste dumps, busy roads. Slope is easy just calculate the extra building costs and deduct a bit more for loss of amenity. BAL40/flamezone cost about $70k last I looked probably more now. Flood prone, eco BS. You gotta check all that out. you can get recent sold prices off realestate.com.au etc. Pay no attention to asking prices. Lots of optimists.

Now the house. 1 bed is about $100k. Add $50k for every bedroom except the 4th which adds $70k. Everyone wants 4 bed 2 bath. Fibro deduct about $60k, weatherboards probably minus $15-20k. Architect houses get more. No idea why. Those AH's make everything twice as expensive and half as useful, but idiots think they are good. You also have to assess condition.

Add it up and you know what the place is probably worth. If you are really keen on a house call your bank and ask which valuer they use. Get them to do a valuation. I guess they might be $500 or something now but if you buy that house the bank will want a valuation anyway, so no money wasted if you use their firm. If you decide not to buy you've done your money but it might save you a bomb of money. If you tell The valuer who you plan to borrow through they will probably talk to you pre charges and give you some clues. Valuers are really worth talking to even if you pay for their time.

2c.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #1273
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's the consensus of working North but living South and opposite? From my limited driving around Adelaide it's easy to navigate but lacks freeways that Melbourne has - ie everything is traffic light to traffic light rather hauling *** down the multi lane freeway.

How long would it take to go from southern suburbs to it's industrial northern suburbs like Port Adelaide for example?

Is it like Melbourne where it can be 2-3 hours going East - West and the opposite way in peak hour or is it only 45 mins or so?

Also what's the opinions on areas like Taperoo? Appears to be cheap for an area that's a couple streets in from the beach?

Many years I use to drive from down south to Edinburgh / Salisbury area every day. The drive one way could take 3/4 of an hour, or it could take double that depending on what time of the day you are doing the trip, and how many car accidents / roadworks you hit on the way.
Heading back home at the end of the day always felt long but I like music so was content to sit in traffic for 2 albums.

As I got older and kids became part of the deal, wasting up to 3 hours in the car had to end. I don't think I could do it again. Unfortunately that rules out many job options.

The plus side is that my experience is from years ago. Has been a long time coming but the South - North commute is getting sorted. Lots happening in the northern end and the southern side is a bloody mess right now so clearly that must also be progress

Once they marry the two up, getting from one side to the other will be much easier..... not game enough to pick a date when thats ready though!

Don't have much knowledge about Taperoo - other than its on the wrong side of Grand Junction rd
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #1274
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Once they marry the two up, getting from one side to the other will be much easier..... not game enough to pick a date when thats ready though!
Don't know how many characters AFF allows in a response, but im sure its not enough to provide a number of days it will take

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #1275
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The Darlington spaghetti concrete farce thats still under construction I believe wont be fully complete for another 12 months. Glacial speed is the only way these road works move. It's actually a joke if you ask me. But that's another topic.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2020, 07:31 PM   #1276
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Many years I use to drive from down south to Edinburgh / Salisbury area every day. The drive one way could take 3/4 of an hour, or it could take double that depending on what time of the day you are doing the trip, and how many car accidents / roadworks you hit on the way.
Heading back home at the end of the day always felt long but I like music so was content to sit in traffic for 2 albums.

As I got older and kids became part of the deal, wasting up to 3 hours in the car had to end. I don't think I could do it again. Unfortunately that rules out many job options.

The plus side is that my experience is from years ago. Has been a long time coming but the South - North commute is getting sorted. Lots happening in the northern end and the southern side is a bloody mess right now so clearly that must also be progress

Don't have much knowledge about Taperoo - other than its on the wrong side of Grand Junction rd
Unfortunately you don't have a freeway system, while people say that Adelaide doesn't 'need' a freeway system, it's much cheaper and easier to build it now rather than try 25 years from now when it has a population of 5M people trying to navigate it's suburbs and spend 10x as much trying to build it

45 minutes isn't bad and either is 1.5 hours but I'll keep that in mind, I'll probably stay North in that case if I move over.

Speaking of Gawler/Evanston/Salisbury/Elizabeth region is probably where I'll look and if I have to cross the city I have to cross the city.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:47 AM   #1277
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Unfortunately you don't have a freeway system, while people say that Adelaide doesn't 'need' a freeway system, it's much cheaper and easier to build it now rather than try 25 years from now when it has a population of 5M people trying to navigate it's suburbs and spend 10x as much trying to build it

45 minutes isn't bad and either is 1.5 hours but I'll keep that in mind, I'll probably stay North in that case if I move over.

Speaking of Gawler/Evanston/Salisbury/Elizabeth region is probably where I'll look and if I have to cross the city I have to cross the city.
Damo, do yourself a favour and visit the West one day!
Some fantastic areas around Perth, Freo, all the way down thru Bunbury To Margaret River etc!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #1278
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Damo, do yourself a favour and visit the West one day!
Some fantastic areas around Perth, Freo, all the way down thru Bunbury To Margaret River etc!

All I remember is the heat, sweating like a pig even with aircon on full sing in Summer....

3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #1279
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
All I remember is the heat, sweating like a pig even with aircon on full sing in Summer....
I was like that in Cairns.

Worst holiday I've ever had, couldn't wait to go home!! (not places fault just I couldn't adjust - I'm sure would be fine in time)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2020, 10:01 PM   #1280
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well another house has sold for $535k in my complex this week. I think all but one of these have had original fittings for the kitchen and bathrooms, like mine.

If I was going to put it up today I would ask for $550k. Bigger house which is extended off the plan and is open and I'm pretty sure the biggest backyard.

I bought for $430k, put in about $17k for paint, carpet, and custom blinds and curtains.

I believe I had almost zero competition for it based on my experience and I couldn't believe my luck
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2020, 12:16 AM   #1281
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I was like that in Cairns.

Worst holiday I've ever had, couldn't wait to go home!! (not places fault just I couldn't adjust - I'm sure would be fine in time)
Costa Rica not for you then!
7 degrees Nth of the equator, never gets below 22c, even on the “chilliest” of nights! Practically all days are low 30s, with some high 30’s (Jan, Feb, March) and we average 175 inches (over 14ft!) of rain annually down here in the jungle.
Always a nice breeze off the ocean in afternoon though (similar to Fremantle Doctor)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2020, 12:23 AM   #1282
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
7 degrees Nth of the equator, never gets below 22c, even on the “chilliest” of nights! Practically all days are low 30s, with some high 30’s (Jan, Feb, March) and we average 175 inches (over 14ft!) of rain annually down here in the jungle.
Always a nice breeze off the ocean in afternoon though (similar to Fremantle Doctor)
Sounds like a brilliant spot. Rain is ok it's the wind in Tassie that annoys me.

I guess get used to it and if all sorted house wise whether AC or whatever works is great.

Sounds like you are very happy.

I've read a few of your posts and that's fantastic.
Old 13-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #1283
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
We probably could but those of us who prefer colder climates would probably just be walking around in our jocks 24/7

I start dying in temperatures over 25 degrees but it was -4 the other morning and I had a t-shirt on

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-06-2020 at 02:21 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #1284
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
We probably could but those of us who prefer colder climates would probably just be walking around in our jocks 24/7
And no one wants to see that.

Humidity is the problem. In sydney it can be over 40 and I'll mow the lawn, brisbane some days once it hits 25 I'm laying under the air conditioner gasping for breath like a gold fish out of it's tank.

As I drive around my area there are sold signs everywhere. I've checked the most recent sold prices on realestate.com.au and the numbers are solid.

Gumtree has 700ish ads for sail boats down from 1500 12 months ago. Some of that was a policy change but they have continued to drop steadily.

I'm continuing to get solid inquiries and am almost afraid to post my next round of things for sale.

The market is insane.
Old 13-06-2020, 03:35 PM   #1285
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:

I start dying in temperatures over 25 degrees but it was -4 the other morning and I had a t-shirt on
Same. I wear shorts near all year and big island people think I'm crazy!

Cairns genuinely is freaking hot in Feb - a try and keep fit yet a 100m walk down street I was sweating profusely.......ha.

Basically spent the whole time indoors. At least was an experience though!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #1286
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

South Australians - Two Wells?
Old 03-07-2020, 11:07 PM   #1287
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone else getting spammed by real estate agencies recently even after 'unsubscribing' a loooong time ago?

You're unsubscribed until the market goes to **** and now you are reactivated again.

I remember I couldn't reset my PW for my Allhomes account a few years back and got no response from my support request, but yet I'm still on their mailing list
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #1288
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
South Australians - Two Wells?
paddocks

ride on / sheep / ride on

can rock big sheds
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #1289
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Anyone else getting spammed by real estate agencies recently even after 'unsubscribing' a loooong time ago?

Yep!

(....thought it was just me )

But am also getting emails out of the blue on quotes for all sorts of stuff from as far back as two years ago....like fibre reinforce plastic sheets that I asked for quotes on in 2018....

Pretty hilarious really....but makes you think something is "brewing"
Old 04-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #1290
zilo
BANNED

This is an interesting story on just what is in store for the property experts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_dAMAwne9U

Last edited by zilo; 04-07-2020 at 08:50 PM.