Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2020, 09:55 AM   #151
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Endura Culled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Or it could just be that you dont frequent these places to gain an informed decision, i've personally spent 4 out of the past 8 weekends in 1 park and seen heaps of it, but i guess thats not indicative of every park, they all just hang out in this one and have skewed my observations.

I'm not suggesting that those vehicles don't exist and I'm not trying to disenfranchise the suggestion that people who engage in caravanning aren't going to bigger and bigger vans and I'm not dismissing that you don't see lots of them at van parks....

but what I am saying is that those owners are still a small percentage of the total numbers
of Rangers and Hiluxes sold in the past five years, that's gotta be close to 400,000 utes
we're talking about.

If Ranger and Hilux are no longer suitable to tow these vans then these people need to go buy
something else that does. There are plenty of Rams and Silverado available or other options
as suggested by Rockwiz..

If you frequent van parks or travel the "grey nomad" highway routes, then of course, every other ute
you come across is gonna be towing a big a55 van but for the rest of us in cities no, that's not the norm.

Last edited by jpd80; 21-11-2020 at 10:05 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #152
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
If Ranger and Hilux are no longer suitable to tow these vans then these people need to go buy
something else that does. There are plenty of Rams and Silverado available or other options
as suggested by Rockwiz..
Just not at $90k new as could have been if not for FOA
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #153
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Just not at $90k new as could have been if not for FOA
That’s true, also True of Ram and GM....and Toyota for that matter.
It’s an area that’s not being serviced properly,
I don’t like it but I accept that’s the way it is.
Old 21-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #154
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
That’s true, also True of Ram and GM....and Toyota for that matter.
It’s an area that’s not being serviced properly,
I don’t like it but I accept that’s the way it is.
Have any of those other brands actually said they refuse to allow a second stage manufacturer to negotiate a deal to bring a particular vehicle to market at a competetive price as FOA did?
If they have, id be happy to read the article stating that refusal
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 01:57 PM   #155
mitch

I sat in a new Escape Vignale yesterday, I have to say it looks even better in the flesh, similar colour to the old Ego with 20" rims, the interior is a noticeable step up on the current Escape and the top self model is cheaper than what was quoted for the PHEV version. I'll take the 180+kW thanks.

I sent photo's to my wife, her reply was " Is that the new Escape?", my reply "no that's YOUR new Escape" and surprisingly I didn't get a "No, wait " but rather a "Really..."...so the trade-in valuations start next week.[/QUOTE]

I took my Ranger into a ford dealer for a service last week, and also was very surprised, by how good looking the new Escape actually is in the metal

When i first saw the release photos i just thought Meh!! Nothing special, will be rolled by all the asian suvs and then culled like the Endura and Mondeo.

I have not seen any advertising for this vehicle yet (surprise surprise) but if ford gets this right eventually. This thing could sell on looks alone in my opinion

Good luck with your trade in talks Dr Smith
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #156
mitch

I sat in a new Escape Vignale yesterday, I have to say it looks even better in the flesh, similar colour to the old Ego with 20" rims, the interior is a noticeable step up on the current Escape and the top self model is cheaper than what was quoted for the PHEV version. I'll take the 180+kW thanks.

I sent photo's to my wife, her reply was " Is that the new Escape?", my reply "no that's YOUR new Escape" and surprisingly I didn't get a "No, wait " but rather a "Really..."...so the trade-in valuations start next week.[/QUOTE]

I took my Ranger into a ford dealer for a service last week, and also was very surprised, by how good looking the new Escape actually is in the metal

When i first saw the release photos i just thought Meh!! Nothing special, will be rolled by all the asian suvs and then culled like the Endura and Mondeo.

I have not seen any advertising for this vehicle yet (surprise surprise) but if ford gets this right eventually. This thing could sell on looks alone in my opinion

Old 21-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #157
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I think it says more about the stress monkey following them, literally boiling mad that these people are in his way.
Or you could just not be an inconsiderate **** and stop holding up everyone behind you by moving over for faster moving traffic.

A novelty for grey nomads, I know
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #158
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Or you could just not be an inconsiderate **** and stop holding up everyone behind you by moving over for faster moving traffic.

A novelty for grey nomads, I know
That's just pop and mum on their big holiday.......
Old 21-11-2020, 04:32 PM   #159
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have any of those other brands actually said they refuse to allow a second stage manufacturer to negotiate a deal to bring a particular vehicle to market at a competetive price as FOA did?
If they have, id be happy to read the article stating that refusal
GM and Ram have zero mid sized Ute business and Toyota, I haven’t seen too many Tundras.
Old 21-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #160
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I haven’t seen too many Tundras.
Must be where you live...

Did Toyota say no one could offer Tundra at a competetive price?
Old 21-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #161
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post

Luckily I've got a very good sales person and I'm a realist when it comes to valuations, they still have to earn something reselling it.

The reps great, for example who would let an L-plater (my daughter) road test a car when they forgot their learners permit at home, or one time let me take home the new car without signing all the docs because they got the loan paperwork wrong, or pick me up at home, drive down to the bank,
collect a bank cheque as I didn't have internet banking back in 2008, get some fish n' chips on the way back to the dealership, stink out the DP's own G6ET with flake and then I had to finally say enough, I need to go home as they were having too much fun during hand over explaining the workings of my new G6ET.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2020, 01:23 AM   #162
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I sat in a new Escape Vignale yesterday, I have to say it looks even better in the flesh
I did too. It's very nice but for a couple of strange omissions: the lack of electric adjustment for the front passenger seat and for the steering column is mildly irritating.

Let's see if Ford fixes that with a future update.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #163
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Tundra sales are definitely regional and much less than Ram sales.

Re discounts to Tundra importers:
That’s a different situation because Toyota was offering Landcruiser Ute and SW as well as Hilux at the same time so whoever wanted to import Tundra in bulk with discounts was free to take that risk.

Last edited by jpd80; 22-11-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 22-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #164
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why would they? They’ve got a much broader range to sell from.

If you think Tundra would be as big of a threat to Hilux as F Series would be to Ranger you’re either just being an argumentative pain in the derrière or you’re seriously deluded. Probably a bit of both.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #165
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Why would they? They’ve got a much broader range to sell from.

If you think Tundra would be as big of a threat to Hilux as F Series would be to Ranger you’re either just being an argumentative pain in the derrière or you’re seriously deluded. Probably a bit of both.
In the end, this wouldn’t have been an issue if Ford hadn’t objected to US discounts which in all likelihood would have been pocketed by the importer and not passed on to buyers. Ford clearly felt threatened by the potential competition if those discounts resulted in lower F150 prices...

IMO, they needn’t have bothered.
Old 22-11-2020, 05:35 PM   #166
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
In the end, this wouldn’t have been an issue if Ford hadn’t objected to US discounts which in all likelihood would have been pocketed by the importer and not passed on to buyers. Ford clearly felt threatened by the potential competition if those discounts resulted in lower F150 prices...

IMO, they needn’t have bothered.
Agreed, no doubt they would have kept a little cream on top but all it really needed to do was give those RAM buyers something to consider, we arent talking big numbers here so im not sue it would have such a detrimental effect on Ranger.
Old 22-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #167
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Agreed, no doubt they would have kept a little cream on top but all it really needed to do was give those RAM buyers something to consider, we arent talking big numbers here so im not sue it would have such a detrimental effect on Ranger.
Realistically if Ford wanted to they could partner with an outfit like Prodrive and propose they do a conversion with factory support then offer it through their dealership network. They could control pricing to avoid it cannibalising their beloved high profit Thailand Special sales while offering a viable Ford alternative for a customer looking for something a bit bigger and tougher, rather than them all going for GMSV RAM/Silverado.

Surely Ford Australia would get better pricing from Ford USA compared to an outfit like Performax/VDC and they can control pricing to boot.

It gives customers a reason to walk into their local Ford dealership, getting someone on the website or in the door is half the battle.
5 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #168
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Good luck with your trade in talks Dr Smith[/QUOTE]

Have you not seen the new Escape ads on TV? I see them everyday.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #169
mitch

No mate.
I dont really turn the TV on until the news starts around 5pm. And i have seen nothing from then until about 8:30pm.
I have seen one ad but i cant remember if that was for the Puma or the Escape.

And i just shook my head because i instantly thought of the Falcon ads with the walking fingers. I want to see a car ad for a car not green screen fakery as they quote
Old 23-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #170
mitch

I cannot believe how ironic that was BossXR8. Twighlight zone stuff really.

Im home crook today, i just turned foxtel on to watch some NFL the raiders v KCity. The Raiders touched down so fox went to an ad, and bugger me an Escape ad came on
The ad started alright with the car doing what cars are meant to do.....drive.
But then it lost me trying to work out all the crap that was going on and what it was actually trying to show me.... the car

I have never gelled with this particular advertising company Ford Aus use and the sooner they turf them the better in my humble opinion.
The only ad i have shown any interest in recently, is the Ranger ad where they are pulling the **** out of the hilux and navara.

Ford... they are cars, sell the cars, tell me why i should buy a Ford over all the other offerings out there
Old 23-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #171
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
No mate.
I dont really turn the TV on until the news starts around 5pm. And i have seen nothing from then until about 8:30pm.
I have seen one ad but i cant remember if that was for the Puma or the Escape.

And i just shook my head because i instantly thought of the Falcon ads with the walking fingers. I want to see a car ad for a car not green screen fakery as they quote
The fact we're still talking about that stupid walking fingers ad 12 years after the FG Falcon release says it all really.

i remember being in Year 11 physics class refreshing AFF to get a look at the FG Falcon release photos.

If Ford wants to sell SUVs then they should be sponsoring 20-something female influencers and YouTube content creators with huge amounts of Instagram followers or YouTube subscribers, forget TV ads you'd probably spend less and be more effective method of advertising by handing out Influencer and YouTube cars and putting Ford on the radar of every teenage girl and 20 something woman.

I'm 29 and I haven't watched TV for years, the only time is the news in the morning and the evening, on ABC 24 so I don't see commercial advertising.

I run Adblock so I don't see YouTube ads either.

I watch a lot of automotive content on YouTube though, so I'd be very susceptible to sponsored product placement.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-11-2020 at 02:20 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #172
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I drove a new Escape on the weekend. Very impressed although the size is a bit of a let down for me (to replace our MD Mondeo Titanium). Overall a nice package and went extremely well. Steering was a bit touchy but other then that I really couldn't fault it.

I would have preferred an Endura but i don't want a 2 year old car (only old crumbs left). As my MD still has 2 + years warranty left I will run it another year and probably go for an XC60 Volvo.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #173
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
I drove a new Escape on the weekend. Very impressed although the size is a bit of a let down for me (to replace our MD Mondeo Titanium). Overall a nice package and went extremely well. Steering was a bit touchy but other then that I really couldn't fault it.

I would have preferred an Endura but i don't want a 2 year old car (only old crumbs left). As my MD still has 2 + years warranty left I will run it another year and probably go for an XC60 Volvo.
I think I've read same about steering, sounds odd but described as too direct...being EPAS I'm sure that could very easily be tweaked if considered a problem...or maybe it's that all competition has "inferior steering"
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post