Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 02-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 90 telstar TX5 AT, is it the water pump?

Hey all, im wondering if anyone here has done a water pump on a AT2 telstar, 2.2 litre?

my mums car has a water leak which is getting worse coming from near the timing belt. I took off the plastic covers which cover the timing belt etc and the water is oozing out from the water pump area.

Do these have gaskets which break down? or is it a new water pump? or something else? please help thanks

xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default water pump runs off timing belt

it must have an internal water pump that runs off the timing belt if you dont have the skills it needs a new water pump and wont be less than $300 to fit and replace

timing belt needs to be te tensioned after the water pump is fitted

if not fixed the car will over heat and cook

Better get it to a mechanic you can trust as soon as possible
Old 02-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep most probably the water pump. While your at it get a timing kit done (crank case seals and belt) it will save you on labour later on.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey all, i took it apart, and took it to Ford, and they said it was the pump. So got a new pump for $80 (gotta good price, not from ford tho) and put it all together, no dramas! it wasnt as hard as i thought it would be. Give it a go if yours needs a new belt or water pump, save yourself some $$$
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #5
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default great job

aww your mum must love you :

$80 thats a good price alright

lucky you could do the work yourself

congrats :