Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rant: Brisbane Airport link is an engineering marvel, but …

I have given up using it already, and the toll free period has not yet expired. The reason is simple. Sooner or later, I am going to get a speeding ticket.

For those who have not had the pleasure, let me describe a trip from Kedron to Bowen Hills. As one enters the tunnel, the road descends. There are plenty of visual speed clues. So far, no problems.

Now, Airport Link has Gympie Road, joining up with Stafford Road, and then the airport. This means drivers entering from Gympie Road must do at least one right hand lane change is required to exit at Campbell Street. At least two right hand lane changes to proceed to the CLEM tunnel. And, four right hand lane changes to exit via Bowen Bridge Road.

So, as I enter via Gympie Road, one of the first things on my mind is quickly get across one lane to the right. At the Stafford Rd merge, the tunnel has levelled out and is starting to rise. In the times I have used the tunnel, my speed has drifted down into the low 50’s kph by this stage (along with everyone else). I give the throttle a nudge to push the speed back up to 60. There is a lot of traffic entering via Stafford, so often it is not immediately possible to move across. The road then starts to descend and there are few clues that one is descending. In between watching the traffic ahead, watching the traffic in the lane to the right (waiting for an opportunity to move across), I have found myself doing high 60’s kph. Crap. Slow down.

Once the 80 kph zone is reached, things settle down. However, there is traffic from the airport next appear as two new lanes on the right. Shortly, the left lane (which was the far right on Gympie Road, finishes. There is little warning. A few times already, I have seen drivers cutting off other drivers.

By this stage, traffic trying to exit onto Bowen Bridge Rd is banking back into the tunnel. Nearly every day, the tunnel operators are dropping the variable speed limit from 80 to 60 and then to 40 kph. The traffic speed is all over the place. So, no point even thinking about using the cruise control.

Yes, my eyes are not as good as there once were. I only recently visited the optometrist for an routine eye check and I don’t need glasses. Yet, I have difficulty making out the next variable speed sign (particularly if it could be a 60 or an 80) when passing under the previous sign. (The signs are 120 metres apart, apparently). I don’t know how those with below average sight cope.

Between watching the traffic, watching other drivers, watching my own speed, judging the speed of the traffic ahead, and trying to see the variable speed signs; well the cognitive workload is too much for me. With 26 speed cameras in the tunnel, it is only a matter of time until I get a fine.

So, today, I took the surface roads. Wow, hasn’t the tunnel moved a lot of traffic off these roads and side roads. The trip was a lot less stressful.

whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 
Default Re: Rant: Brisbane Airport link is an engineering marvel, but …

im yet to use it, nor do i really have to but was considering a trip whilst it was free just to check it out, but after reading this i dont think i will bother.... last thing i need is a fine.

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I like the tunnel - but I agree about not being able to read the oncoming speed signs. I'm sure they aren't regulation size - they are minuscule!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Cúl-Báire

The thing has been near on empty the two times I've been though it traveling from the airport to the southside via the city. Not a bad bit of infrastructure, and the (speed) signage is much better than the Clem 7.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

After watching it being built for a number of years now, I have come up with a single word (that will most likely be sensored on AFF) that describes the whole project to a tee....

CLUSTER****

Oh and revenue raising... did I mention the 26 cameras?

Brilliant economics on their part... say each camera takes JUST 10 tickets each, that's 260 tickets per DAY.

Now let's average it out to 200 @ $133 (the going rate), there's $26600 for doing nothing!

Now take into account the other 60 or so @ $200 (I'm just taking the 2 most common speeding tickets here) and there's $12000!

So what's the price of NOTHING?
$38600.. PER DAY!
$270200 per week (I know this is high, weekends would most likely see a drop)
$1,080,800 per month OR
$12,969,600 per YEAR
(figures are horribly inaccurate and only a wild stab in the dark)

Is it just me or have others heard loose change and cash registers ringing in the tunnel?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 08-08-2012 at 11:56 PM.
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately, these things are the future of motoring in this country. Forget making life easier and safer for us all, just get that dollar off the few people who stray a few kilometers per hour over the limit.

The people of Australia should revolt.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
Kevaclone

even worse with those small speed signs, as you exit at the Gympie Rd/Stafford Rd end in the arvo, your eyes are acclimatised to the dark, then you have this bright incoming light as you near the tunnel exit, which makes seeing the signs even harder, right where it drops from 80 to 60

Another thing I noticed is that, with so many speed signs so close together, you are not looking at every one of them so you could be in 60 zone and not realize it
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Been through it once, probably won't again.

Seriously it saves an absolute bucket load of time from Bowen Hills to Toombul and it a great piece of road but the "speed" cameras need to go and the tolls kept to a minimum to be successful.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
Hally

I am obviously not from Brisbane, but heard something interesting about the CLEM tunnel the other day. Apparently for it to be viable as a toll road, it needs 120,000 cars through it a day. But apparently whilst the toll free period is on they are only getting 70,000 cars through a day.

Has this been reported up there?
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Dude, just use it again when you need to pay for it. Cause then no one else will be using it

I haven't driven in it yet (southsider) but will do so before the free period runs out. Just to try it out.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Used it once while it's free, probably won't again.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post