Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S

Quote:
The 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year is one of the quickest American four-doors ever built. It drives like a sports car, eager and agile and instantly responsive. But it's also as smoothly effortless as a Rolls-Royce, can carry almost as much stuff as a Chevy Equinox, and is more efficient than a Toyota Prius. Oh, and it'll sashay up to the valet at a luxury hotel like a supermodel working a Paris catwalk. By any measure, the Tesla Model S is a truly remarkable automobile, perhaps the most accomplished all-new luxury car since the original Lexus LS 400. That's why it's our 2013 Car of the Year.

Wait. No mention of the astonishing inflection point the Model S represents -- that this is the first COTY winner in the 64-year history of the award not powered by an internal combustion engine? Sure, the Tesla's electric powertrain delivers the driving characteristics and packaging solutions that make the Model S stand out against many of its internal combustion engine peers. But it's only a part of the story. At its core, the Tesla Model S is simply a damned good car you happen to plug in to refuel.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...#ixzz2C3rXAn6Q
Old 13-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S

it`s not a bad attempt, but it is still a city car, with the better charger it still takes 5 hours to charge, and it has a good size touch screen , but i still hate the bloody things.
would not have been my choice for car of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kCG-WqpVnI
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Muchly deserved winner IMO - the innovative powertrain system is worthy on its own! I truly believe that Tesla certainly has the potential to be a future automotive powerhouse.

While there is an SUV version coming (Model X), a wagon version would be my (and probably Europe's) pick (as imagined here by Theophilous Chin)!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
Rodge
Banned

I like it and would be happy to own one if its reasonably priced.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shock, an electric car that actually looks more like an Aston and less like a microwave.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
zilo
BANNED

I've been in a Tesla, albeit the previous model.

Absolutely breathtaking machines.

A well deserved award, much to the disgust of many inferior car makers no doubt.

I am seriously considering the Model S....and I drive Geelong to Clayton most days.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
I've been in a Tesla, albeit the previous model.

Absolutely breathtaking machines.

A well deserved award, much to the disgust of many inferior car makers no doubt.

I am seriously considering the Model S....and I drive Geelong to Clayton most days.
Yeap, bring it in ASAP, I'm soooo over how much fuel my SC FPV uses and 99.99% of my trips are well within the range of this vehicle. The 0.01% of trips that arn't, I'd be happy to fly and rent a car and pay for it with the thousands of dollars in fuel costs i'd be saving every year.
Old 14-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great car, but they are around $90 K in the States so I presume they will be close to $200K here. No doubt they will get cheaper once the technology develops

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I go back to work on friday I'll make sure to deliver some more filthy coal to the power station to be burned to provide power for your eco-mobile...

Very nice car, but until battery issues are overcome and the power doesn't come from coal (and yes, shock, even if you tick the "green power" option on your bill, most of it will still come from coal...there's no separate power grid for green power sources), it's just an extremely nice toy for the latte set in the city...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
When I go back to work on friday I'll make sure to deliver some more filthy coal to the power station to be burned to provide power for your eco-mobile...

Very nice car, but until battery issues are overcome and the power doesn't come from coal (and yes, shock, even if you tick the "green power" option on your bill, most of it will still come from coal...there's no separate power grid for green power sources), it's just an extremely nice toy for the latte set in the city...
In N.Z. the vast majority of power comes from environmentally friendly and renewable resources, (some not so to meet peak power demand periods), and you can chose a power supplier (Meridian), which we are connected too which generates its power from 100% eco friendly sources. I'd imagine there are many countries in the world which have a similar generation profile to N.Z. which would enable this fantastic vehicle to have an eco friendly footprint.
Old 14-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The countries where these sort of cars work well are ones that aren't pussies about investing big time in nuclear or hydroelectric or geothermal power...they make perfect sense in those nations, but in ours, they're still just another way of driving a car around and shouldn't honestly be marketed as having a "zero carbon footprint"...
Old 14-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nat Geo has a Doco on this vehicle if anyone is interested.
It's on the series called Supercars.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:

Until as such times as Australia joins the 21st century in regards to renewable energy investment, a 'stop-gap' advantage here is moving automotive emissions from populated centres to the power stations - more or less a health rather than ecological issue. But, for this to be effective, more cars on the road need to be electric - and granted, there need to be more desirable and affordable options for this to happen.

Another interesting development is off-grid charging systems - like a solar / other renewable home system. Battery technology is progressing at a substantial rate and it may even be possible to have a battery to charge on solar through the day to use as a charger over the evening.

As for "the latte set in the city", it's thanks to them half the devices in your home are affordable for a large percentage of the population, so I don't see why people are always banging on about them?
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Nat Geo has a Doco on this vehicle if anyone is interested.
It's on the series called Supercars.
Well worth the watch. Bloody impressive what they are achieving and the spirit shown. Well deserved award.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
1TUFFUTE
Banned

great looking car. something i can imagine ford or even austin martin designing.
Itd be great if aus had the eco safe power industry that NZ has...then we could drive these bad boys around without feeling bad...

on a side issue,,,was watching some show today about passing some noise legislation on wind turbines that make power.....REALLY people are concerned more about wind noise from fans over our air being toxic....
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
Great car, but they are around $90 K in the States so I presume they will be close to $200K here. No doubt they will get cheaper once the technology develops

Ummm, try $57,000 in the US and $75,000 in Aus....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Reds View Post
Shock, an electric car that actually looks more like an Aston and less like a microwave.
And... an obvious pun for an electric car.

This is a great car. Ground breaking even. Shame it doesn't have a Ford badge.

The enormous laptop computer screen in the centre console would drive me nuts though I reckon.
Old 15-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
The enormous laptop computer screen in the centre console would drive me nuts though I reckon.
Yeah possibly the only draw-back but crickey if you had the GPS system on full screen mode it would be bloody hard to get lost

I think the less expensive 40 KW/hr version of this car would be fine for many city dwellers.

On an interesting side-note if an 85 KW/hr battery version can travel for 300 km's with some residual charge, (they never run these batteries right down to nothing as its not helpful to their longevity), it shows this car must be only consuming on average less than 20 Kw's per hour when travelling on the open road, (assuming average speed of 75 k.p.h. on a country journey for four hours).
Old 15-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Who is selling them in Aus? What kind of factory support do they have? What's the expectant life of the batteries and how much are they replace? Range with 5 ppl on board? Recharge time?

I still remember the Top Gear test of Tesla..... Yes, it's a few years on but...

There's plenty of I6 Falcons out there with half a million km on them with on basic services done.... I wonder how much it would cost to get one of these to such a distance?

The future is hydrogen: works fine in California and much better for the environment than an electric car.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
(assuming average speed of 75 k.p.h. on a country journey for four hours).
75kph!! geez, must be some busy clogged up country roads over there.

I usually average 85-90kmh with a speed limited B-Double
Old 15-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #21
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My apologies I had an article with those prices but maybe they were referring the Signature model or different battery options. There are a few different prices depending on what specs you are looking at

Here is their websites with pricing etc.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options US site

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_AU/models Aus Site

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes that is the entry level one with a max 260km range and slower accelleration than a N/A XR6.

The go-fast one is expected to be about $130k
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
75kph!! geez, must be some busy clogged up country roads over there.

I usually average 85-90kmh with a speed limited B-Double
Max Speed limit anywhere in N.Z. is only 100 k.p.h. and there's plenty of area's where its less and that along with all the small towns and traffic density on the roads, yeah... even if you set the cruise control to a GPS corrected speed of 100 k.p.h. somewhere around where I'm suggesting is a reasonable assumption for North Island average speed travel, about 5-10 k.p.h. more for South Island's more open and substaintially less congested roads.

Interesting that this new Tesla only uses 37 Kw's per 100 miles, (161 Km's) = 17 Kw's to travel at an average speed of 75 k.p.h., that super slippery Cd of only 0.24 is a miracle worker !! If the 40 KW/hr version is just under $100K Kiwi I'll be really interested.

Last edited by Rodge; 15-11-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 15-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Max Speed limit anywhere in N.Z. is only 100 k.p.h. and there's plenty of area's where its less and that along with all the small towns and traffic density on the roads, yeah... even if you set the cruise control to a GPS corrected speed of 100 k.p.h. somewhere around where I'm suggesting is a reasonable assumption for North Island average speed travel, about 5-10 k.p.h. more for South Island's more open and substaintially less congested roads.

Interesting that this new Tesla only uses 37 Kw's per 100 miles, (161 Km's) = 17 Kw's to travel at an average speed of 75 k.p.h., that super slippery Cd of only 0.24 is a miracle worker !! If the 40 KW/hr version is just under $100K Kiwi I'll be really interested.
I hate to be the physics nazi but kW is a measurement of power which is instantaneous. Power over time is energy and commonly measured in units of kWh (kilowatt hours) or MJ (megajoules).

Last edited by flappist; 15-11-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 15-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it possible to charge a fully electric car with the sort of solar setup the average person would have on their roof? In a reasonable amount of time? Could be a problem seeing as how most people would, I assume, charge it off peak in the middle of the night.

Battery pack replacement...that's been a sore point ever since the Prius first came out. The wall of silence you meet if you dare bring up the taboo question is deafening...of course, it's not an issue for the first owner, but any subsequent owners would surely have to have it in the back of their mind...what's the resale like on a Prius anyway...?
Old 15-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is it possible to charge a fully electric car with the sort of solar setup the average person would have on their roof? In a reasonable amount of time? Could be a problem seeing as how most people would, I assume, charge it off peak in the middle of the night.

Battery pack replacement...that's been a sore point ever since the Prius first came out. The wall of silence you meet if you dare bring up the taboo question is deafening...of course, it's not an issue for the first owner, but any subsequent owners would surely have to have it in the back of their mind...what's the resale like on a Prius anyway...?
There is a gotcha there in QLD at least where the el-cheapo off peak electricity can only be legally used for certain fixed devices like hot water etc.
The problem with solar is that it only works during the day which may be a problem if your car is at work or being driven.

Another issue is that the majority of solar is a 3-5 Kw offset system which will take all day to charge a 40kWh car and while doing so will not be offsetting your domestic usage or exporting. In that the exporting is actually more valuable than importing it would be cheaper to charge the car at night at the normal rate.

You could put a second solar in but $10,000 buys a LOT of petrol, diesel or LPG and still takes all day to charge a 40kWh or several days to charge one of the performance models.

As I have stated in several threads, at this time Teslas are like power boats, harleys, jetskis, ultralights or any of the plethora of "transport toys". They are an emotional rather than logical purchace which is why the enthusiasts arc up so quickly when ever any flaws are exposed in their justification for acquisition.

Like those who paid more than $10,000 for a 40" standard definition analogue plasma 7 or 8 years ago anyone who buys one now will have an almost worthless superseded technology ornament in a very short time as they get faster, cheaper and more efficient at an almost exponential rate.
In saying this lots of people paid $10k for their plasma and then upgraded several time since.
It all depends on how much you want to spend on your toy.
This is also why there are so many harleys, jetskis, powerboats et. al. lurking about in sheds covered with cobwebs, the big head is the one that should be used for thinking......
Old 15-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #27
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
I hate to be the physics nazi but kW is a measurement of power which is instantaneous. Power over time is energy and commonly measured in units of kWh (kilowatt hours) or MJ (megajoules).
Quite right, I meant to say 17 Kw/hr's per 75 Km's. Amazing that you can move a vehicle of that size a distance of 75 km's for only 17 KWh don't you think ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Pretty doubtful on the charge from one's solar panel I would have thought, probably not enough current. Are they following Toyota's lead and putting an 8 year warranty on the battery ?
Old 15-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quite right, I meant to say 17 Kw/hr's per 75 Km's. Amazing that you can move a vehicle of that size a distance of 75 km's for only 17 KWh don't you think ?
I am not sure what you are saying here.

Do you think that a 100kW petrol engined car demonstrates 100kW at all times regardless of load or RPM?

If it takes 17kWh to move the vehicle 75km in one hour it does not matter how that energy is obtained.
Old 15-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #29
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Yeah possibly the only draw-back but crickey if you had the GPS system on full screen mode it would be bloody hard to get lost

I think the less expensive 40 KW/hr version of this car would be fine for many city dwellers.

On an interesting side-note if an 85 KW/hr battery version can travel for 300 km's with some residual charge, (they never run these batteries right down to nothing as its not helpful to their longevity), it shows this car must be only consuming on average less than 20 Kw's per hour when travelling on the open road, (assuming average speed of 75 k.p.h. on a country journey for four hours).
It amazes me how a car that is propelled solely by energy, was designed with so much energy sapping, electrically powered gizmo's. Even the door handles require a small amount of energy to open. How does that work if your car has run out of battery and something you need/want has been left in the car?

How much more battery life could they have saved from unnecessarily powered items?
Old 15-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #30
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
It amazes me how a car that is propelled solely by energy, was designed with so much energy sapping, electrically powered gizmo's. Even the door handles require a small amount of energy to open. How does that work if your car has run out of battery and something you need/want has been left in the car?
There is a reserve battery for essential services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz View Post
How much more battery life could they have saved from unnecessarily powered items?
Stuff all in the big picture.
If they hadn't made the most up to the minute cabin appointments they would have been criticized by the knockers for being too austere.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post