Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Barina to get Siri!!!!

The humble Holden Barina has won the race to integrate Apple’s Siri voice control system into a car in Australia.

Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Honda, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mercedes-Benz and Toyota are all working to integrate Siri into the car’s infotainment system but it is the Holden Barina CDX that is the first car in Australia to offer it.

Holden’s MyLink infotainment system allows the driver to pair a smartphone to the car and run a number of apps directly off the car’s touchscreen. The Siri Eyes Free Integration (as Holden calls it) allows drivers to make voice-activated calls, compose text messages and add events to their phone’s calendar without taking their hands off the wheel.
The Holden Barina Siri Screen

MyLink also now comes with Pandora, Stitcher and Tunein internet radio and BringGo navigation embedded into car’s infotainment system, allowing music and talkback radio to be streamed via your smartphone.
Advertisement

Holden says the system is only compatible with iPhones running the latest iOS 6 operating system.

Holden will also roll out Siri and the other apps into the 2014-model Cruze small car later this year and is expected to offer it as standard on the new VF Commodore.

One of the strengths of the system is that the software can be updated over the life of the car, so new apps can be added when the car is being serviced, without needing to change the hardware in the car.

In-car apps have become a major battleground for car companies, especially in the small-car segment because the car makers are chasing young, tech-savvy buyers.

Voice control systems are becoming increasingly common with cars including the Barina-rivalling Ford Fiesta and Toyota Yaris offering similar functions; for example, the Toyota can translate a text message into speech for the driver.

Ford’s SYNC system has been developed in partnership with Apple’s rivals Microsoft and uses voice control.

Ferrari begun offering Siri Eyes Free with it’s FF model in March across Europe, but is yet to offer the system in Australia. The two iconic companies strengthened their ties in November 2012 when Apple’s senior vice president of internet software and service, Eddy Cue, joined the Ferrari board.

Mercedes Australia has announced it will introduce the Apple Drive kit into the new A-Class small car but has yet to confirm a date. The system is already available in Europe.

Last edited by csv8; 10-05-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Barina to get Siri!!!!

Isn't siri that apple widget that knows absolutely nothing about Australia and cannot understand anything that is not spoken with a pseudo yank accent?

But then again it intergrates with apple maps so it will be harder for you to get completely lost.......
8 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
Isn't siri that apple widget that knows absolutely nothing about Australia and cannot understand anything that is not spoken with a pseudo yank accent?

But then again it intergrates with apple maps so it will be harder for you to get completely lost.......
Yes!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another case of what seems a really good idea ends up as a mega fail. Hate siri and hate the goddamn predictive text on apple products.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Holden must be fooled into thinking the world revolves around apple.....
Old 03-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don't know why they really would bother. it is absolutely useless app but then again the car isn't really any better
Old 03-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It's probably a huge marketing tool to draw in the type of airheads that would buy a Barina.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

At least Siri is good for sending funny texts... never gets it right.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:08 AM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being able to compose texts while driving would be handy
Old 04-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be time to buy a Barina. If they can integrate Siri into the car, I'll buy 2. Siri is awesome. Even though I never use it, If its Apple, then it's good and I just have to have it. I hope I get a good trade on the XR6T.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #11
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

They could include an onboard flatscreen and I still wouldn't purchase a Barina.

But then again Barinas aren't aimed at customers like myself.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Siri already integrates with most cars bluetooth, I can send a text etc in my FG already just by using the phone button, which then activates Siri. Sounds like marketing fluff to me.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's probably a huge marketing tool to draw in the type of airheads that would buy a Barina.
Hairdressers and gay men aren't airhe.....

Nevermind.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #14
blk6t

Marketing fluff at it's finest....however most younger car buyers today love cars with loads of tech so it's really giving the people what they want!!!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

The poor dealer mechanics that will have to try to fix these things when they eventually go wrong, I can see it now

Mechanic: "You have to contact Apple, there is nothing wrong with our system, it's passed all the checks"
Customer: "I have contacted Apple, they say there is nothing wrong with the phone and to contact the car dealer"

Mechanic: "Sorry, it's only compatible with software version 6.01, you've upgraded it to 6.01.1, it will not connect, you'll have to wait for an upgrade to come through from the factory, it's only 6 month away"
Customer: "6 months, I'll have an Iphone 6S by then, will that work".
Mechanic: "No idea"

Poor buggers!

Hers
BFII Ghia
5 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #16
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Holden must be fooled into thinking the world revolves around apple.....
Apple has actually brought a case before the US courts to be officially recognised as the centre of the universe.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6 View Post
Siri already integrates with most cars bluetooth, I can send a text etc in my FG already just by using the phone button, which then activates Siri. Sounds like marketing fluff to me.
I can do that too with my Nokia Lumia 920 in my FG. Hold the phone button, say "text (person)", and say what you want to text. Then reads it back to you with the option to send, add more, or delete. Can call, type notes, do google search.... Unfortunately just not advertised like apple advertise their Siri
Old 04-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I argue with Siri all the time via Bluetooth in my BA...this is hardly groundbreaking technology.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Benjamin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6 View Post
Yer I do the same, but I just end up yelling because Siri can't understand me
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ same! The amount of times whilst driving I activate Siri on the steering wheel and say the following:

Me: "call the wife"
Siri: "would you like me to call your wife?"
Me: "yes"
Siri: "sorry i do not understand"
Me : "tjjcdsbnjijvc:&@@@(.,*€%~|,?€¥~."
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
MrEL
Sick Puppy

For a Ford forum geez there is a lot to read about Holdens on here.
Maybe I should go to a Holden forum to find out about all things Ford?
2 users like this post:
Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
ltd
Force Fed Fords

A gimmick that like the Iphone 4S, most people got bored of after 15 minutes because it is absolutely useless in Australia.

I propose that Ford get their own voice recognition thing like Siri, but lets say call it Dick.
Make it integrated with the cars systems with an inbuilt GPS for example:

"Dick, where is the nearest servo?"
"600 metres away, but they only have that E10 crap, and I don't like the taste of it. Go another 5 kilometres to the BP on the left and buy BP ultimate." After filling with E10; "Yuck, I told you I don't like the taste of E10 you cheap bastard. Just for that enjoy the heater on full."

Or driving through a big pot-hole "Ouch, are you trying to hurt me? Hit another one and I'll tell the guys in service how many times a day you fart into the drivers seat."

That would sell vehicles, especially the V8 or turbo models. When you take off and its on boost you could have Dick say "YEEAAHHH, did you like that?"

Quote: