Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #61
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
This is nothing other than my personal opinion, but I would respond by saying,"Mount it up your exhaust pipe! If you don't know where you are going without a sat-nav, Don't bloody go!!"
Yeah, no one shoudl ever go anywhere except places they know. Don't go on holidays to a new place, go somewhere you know!

Have you ever used a map?? A GPS is just an electronic map that tells you where to go.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So there is mine, it might be hard to see the bonnet with the reflection, but my sat nav blocks out about 3 square mm of the road (where the top of the suction cap is) so it's not a problem at all.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #63
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

And it is a hell of a lot less distracting then having the UBD in front of the steering wheel. (we have all seen it done)
A lot of the time when someone gets lost, they tend to fret a little. Which can cause erratic behavior and therefore incidents.
With a sat nav, 90% of the time it tells you the correct way to go, so it could be stretched as far as a safety device. Or fuel saver
Hail thee satellite navigation system

Not sure about the rest of you, but I also use it for speed.
That is the speed I am traveling, not the speed zones as they are not all up to date.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #64
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
One observation though; if it is not safe to have the gps mounted lower than the windscreen why are ALL the factory units which must comply with ADRs mounted in a low position.
like this one?

but i get what your saying, 99.99% of factory satnavs are mounted in the centre console, below the dash line. 'not safe' though is probably not the right term, maybe 'less safe'. but can you imagine the forums if fords fg2 satnav option was a tom tom stuck to the windscreen...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #65
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
like this one?

but i get what your saying, 99.99% of factory satnavs are mounted in the centre console, below the dash line. 'not safe' though is probably not the right term, maybe 'less safe'. but can you imagine the forums if fords fg2 satnav optin was a tom tom stuck to the windscreen...
Yep that one complies with ADRs, especially with the passengers side steering wheel......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #66
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep that one complies with ADRs, especially with the passengers side steering wheel......
tongue was firmly in cheek...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
tongue was firmly in cheek...
aha....got me
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #68
zdcol71
zdcol71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Yeah, no one shoudl ever go anywhere except places they know. Don't go on holidays to a new place, go somewhere you know!

Have you ever used a map?? A GPS is just an electronic map that tells you where to go.
As I said Ben, just my personal, but in answer to your question, I have actually just got home from a driving holiday. 6 weeks in a mobile home, (Ford, by the way...will post pics soon), drove all around the UK,(not a very large base for reference, granted) but turned the supplied sat-nav off and put the maps away after a cursory glance to give a general compass point.
Second part of your question,"Have you ever used a map?"
Yes,I have, and do so all the time. Find out where I need to go, study a map and go. Not distracted as I am driving by some twittering electronic device, which incedentally is treated as casually as a mobile phone by most people I have seen using one.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #69
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough, but I personally don't see them as a distraction. I set it to my destination, then off I go, I only listen to it as it begins to talk, and occasionally glance at the screen if I want to see the next direction well in advance. No more distracting then the radio or a talking passenger.

Had mine on during a 2 hour drive last week, did not touch the thing for teh whole 2 hours. So not really a distraction to myself.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #70
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel
nice spot in that hairdressers car! Keeps it out of view nicely
Did you bother reading what I wrote? Putting it on the raked windscreen puts the unit too far forward to see, on the side window can be a pain, so putting it in the console makes sense when you sync it with the cars Bluetooth and all the commands come through the Ford audio unit. You barely need to even look at it. Plus Ford, and most other car manufactures for that matter, seem to think this location is fine as that's where their optional sat nav units go