Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
House
Starter Motor

Default XR5 Tuning

Hi,

I'm looking for information on:

1. Exhaust systems
2. Flash tuners
3. Suspension mods.

Has anyone done any of these and did it make a worth while difference?

House

House is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Wolf.
Graham Goode Racing.
Pumabuild.

google them
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Hey mate...

Exhaust = Hitech about 1200 for a turbo back - 11kw power gain - no tune. www.hitechmufflers.com.au

Flash Tuners = Dreamscience about 800-1000 visit http://dreamscience.eu/flashtuning/ and fordxr5turbo.com

Suspension = Eibach Lowering springs from www.european-parts.net or hit up whiteline @ www.whiteline.com.au

Q= A.YES

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

I have 2 out of the 3!

As photn said really....

Dreamscience will cost you $1100 delivered from UK.
Eibach Pro's will be $330 delivered from European-parts (Germany)
Hitech cheapest system to buy...shipping too expensive from Europe. Altho' if it's noise you're after...then simply get the resonator removed for about $50.

IMO the best things you can do for value is items 2 & 3 in your Q.

Happy Days...
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
bman

Mikey B, how did the XR drive after the mods? Much of a difference? what does it handle like now with Eibachs?

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
bman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman
Mikey B, how did the XR drive after the mods? Much of a difference? what does it handle like now with Eibachs?
Big difference post DS Installation.

Eibach's give the car a good stance now...handling will be proven on the track in 4 weeks time!
Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Might also want to check out www.FordXR5Turbo.com

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
bman

Mickey B send me pics?

- 17 x Ford Falcon XT BF - Within my Fleet -
- 4 x Ford Falcon XR6 BF - Within my Fleet -
- 110 x Mitsubishi Express - Within my Fleet -
- 2 x Hyundai iLoad - Within my Fleet -
bman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
Funky
Starter Motor

I also can't recommend the DreamScience tune enough. You can't help but smile the way it kicks you into the seat at 4000rpm. I'm also getting the hitech cat-back in the next week or so, so I'll let you know what it's like when I get it.
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #10
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone recorded any times with the tune yet? Some vids would also make for great viewing.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #11
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Anyone recorded any times with the tune yet? Some vids would also make for great viewing.
13.5s 1/4 mile if that helps?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #12
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Don't forget to mention that 13.5 (sensational time btw) you did was with a second gear launch. 14 flat is as good as you'll get taking off in 1st. Quarter mile times don't tell the real story anyway because it's a FWD car (very bad 60ft times), it's the acceleration whilst already moving that blows you away.

I've done some in gear acceleration comparisons (from relatively low revs) with some friend's cars that do similar quarter mile times to mine, and there is no comparison - by the time they get enough revs on board, or their turbo actually spools up, the XR5 is gone.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey B
13.5s 1/4 mile if that helps?
Yeap. Thanks.

The wife will be pleased once she get one ....... but she don't need to know the full story. :
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #14
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

Quarter Mile times are never gonna tell the full story, Mikey B's gone the right way about it with a DS upgrade and eibach to make it corner swoit!
Old 24-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #15
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I'm gonna be a wet blanket and ask what everywhere else is afraid to:

Pre-mods and post-mods regular driving - your fuel consumption?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!

Stock, I used to get about 7.6l/100km on the open road, and about 10.3l/100km in the city.
If I run the lowest (“Economy” mode ) DreamScience tune, the consumption is unchanged, but using “Race Plus”, I find there is about a 10% increase in consumption i.e city consumption will go into the mid 11’s.
Old 25-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #17
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!

To be honest...you wont care about your fuel consumption when you have DreamScience....you only want to look at the Boost gauge and feel the whiplash :
Old 28-10-2007, 08:18 PM   #18
El Sucio

Looking at the Mondeo XR5 as an altenative to the Focus at the moment. I was loking at an XR6T but I really need the extra fuel economy of the 2.5L turbo motor in the 2 hours of peak hour traffic I sit in each day.

Could I still expect to crack a flat 14 with exhaust and tune?

I'm really unsure to get the Focus or Mondeo; I'm concerned the extra 240kg kerb weight isreally going to dull the driving experience. However looking at the spec sheet I would really like the extra fruit and leather interior that comes with the Mondeo XR5

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike)
2014 Ford Ranger
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #19
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

I doubt it. Those extra pounds would probably mean that mid 14’s are more realistic, but does it really matter? Straight line speed is not what either of these cars are about. As for which one to go for, it really depends on what you want. Do you want a sporty, nimble hatch that you can throw around with reckless abandon, or a slightly more civilised mid-sizer, that is perhaps not as talented through the twisties (although still very good), but offers a more relaxed ride and luxurious interior?

The Mondeo XR5 is a very stylish bit of kit (would look stunning lowered), and by all accounts is superb to drive, but it will use probably 10% more juice than the Focus and by the time you pay on road costs, it will also leave you about 6 grand poorer. But really, the only way you can know for sure, is to test drive them both back to back.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #20
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sucio
Looking at the Mondeo XR5 as an altenative to the Focus at the moment. I was loking at an XR6T but I really need the extra fuel economy of the 2.5L turbo motor in the 2 hours of peak hour traffic I sit in each day.

Could I still expect to crack a flat 14 with exhaust and tune?

I'm really unsure to get the Focus or Mondeo; I'm concerned the extra 240kg kerb weight isreally going to dull the driving experience. However looking at the spec sheet I would really like the extra fruit and leather interior that comes with the Mondeo XR5
After driving the Mondeo XR5 and comparing it to the Focus XR5, I found the Mondeo did not have the induction noise the Focus does, which is very addictive indeed! However the ride of the Mondeo is beautiful. You get cruise as well were the Focus does not. There are many factors to consider I guess. They are both fantastic vehicles. I would put the Mondeo down for the one that I would live with, but if I was given a Focus there is no way I would reject it! Good luck!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #21
El Sucio

Yep, checked out the oil burning Mondeo and loved it. I'm hanging to get my into an XR5 Mondeo now and sign up for one.

Already have my employer sussed out to package it into my salary. Will be doing my best to tweak it as much as possible without fouling my waranty. Unfortunately this may mean getting everything done through the dealership and paying through the nose for it.

Is there any tuning out there that will slip under the warranty radar? I'm sure I could talk the dealership into an exhaust and suspension upgrade, but getting a custom tune done would be hard wouldn't it?

I've seen elsewhere in this Forum that the BF Falcon & Mondeo can trace if the computer has been flash tuned - therefore voiding warranty.

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike)
2014 Ford Ranger
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #22
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

It's always been a contentious one whether or not (a) ford dealers can detect it and (b) if they care.

Be reasonable and responsible with ya mods and you'll have a good time with no let downs... (not insinuating that you do) it's when you expect to maybe get away with something and you don't that you get disappointed.

Enjoy the Mondeo when you get in it!

Cheers,
Miyagi