Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
PlukaDuck

Default Old School vs Generation Y

Here is an email i recieved recently which pretty much sums it up.
Gen -Y"s think they know it all, but the old school know better.

Good for a laugh , but also true.
All comments welcome.
The Green Thing
For older/or slightly more mature folks (like me) to read & enjoy
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own shopping bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The cashier responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, pop bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every shop and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks.We didnt need electric cars made of plastic and have to build nuclear power stations full of radioactive material to run them. Our cars where steel and leather which are bio-degradable , not plastic, and glue, and nasty chemicals and batteries that destroy the planet. Our cars produced carbon that made the trees grow.

But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the post, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank water from a fountain or a tap when we were thirsty instead of demanding a plastic bottle flown in from another country. We accepted that a lot of food was seasonal and didn’t expect that to be bucked by flying it thousands of air miles around the world. We actually cooked food that didn’t come out of a packet, tin or plastic wrap and we could even wash our own vegetables and chop our own salad.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the tram or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their mothers into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart-*** young person.

Remember: Don't make old people mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to **** us off.

PlukaDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: Old School vs Generation Y

The funny thing about these sorts of emails, and the people that get all "feel good" about it and try and take the moral high ground of "back in my day we used to....", is exactly that - you USED to.
If your old enough to remember "back in the day" when you "used to", and think "oh how dumb the next generation are", unless you still do everything that you did in the "old days" your no better than the dumb check out chick.
Infact, your probably worse - youve had a life time to see what impact you have on the world, yet here you are, doing everything the "next generation" does.
Multiple TV's, disposable razors, escalators, "300hp" cars to drive 2 blocks, eating unseasoned food etc etc etc.
If you really wanted the moral high ground, youd still do things how you did in the "old days" and you wouldnt even be on a computer now - since it uses disposable parts and a heap of plastic to make it work.
Technology: complain about it, yet you cant live without it.
From some smart **** young person to you old selfish bastrds.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I feel sorry for the cashier who had to put up with that rant!

Escalators were invented in the 1800's, plastic was Invented not long after in the form of Bakelite etc etc. So don't blame GenY, we haven't invented squat! But that's an issue for another day....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

i wonder what that situation would be like in 50 years......
Old 24-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #5
greencapri408
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Simon is a worthy recipient, his willingness to share  knowledge here for Forum Members and his wealth of knowledge. He has made himself available not only through the Forums but allowing members to contact him by mobile as required 

Lol that sounded like my grandmother when she was alive
greencapri408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

A good read BUT who do you think created generation Y? All us old timers...that's who
Old 24-06-2012, 01:13 AM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

You old timers invented easy credit too. How's that working out for the world?
Tongue in cheek
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I see this thread getting locked, but I'll bite the bait

Yeah, except cars back then made half the power and used twice as much fuel, they still had lead acid batteries to start the thing, generators up until the 1960s on cars were very inefficient, fuel had lead in it, carbon monoxide emissions where through the roof out of the exhaust, that one CRT TV probably used as much power as the 5 LED TVs in a modern household, they burned brown coal back then like they still do today to generate power in Victoria, most cars are still made out of steel, except they have plastic bumpers and interior trim, I still have a clothes line which gets used.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
K93George

Wow, if you're going to make a point at least know what you are talking about (refering to author of the email).

Cars today are plastic are they? I wonder why I have to touch up that stone chip or it'll rust... Maybe my plastic front quater panel is defective or something.

How do you "burn up 220 volts"? Are you refering to power V x A = P (watts)?

I won't bother going through each point because I have already lost interest as my generation does, we lose interest in things quickly and that.
K93George is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
A good read BUT who do you think created generation Y? All us old timers...that's who
I wish my old man understood that.

I'm 21 and work two jobs 45-50 hours a week (6 days...and 12 hours minimum, 6 days a week at my previous job - 72 hours minimum a week) yet he still thinks I don't know anything about working because 'kids these days have it too easy with their mobile phones and internets'.

I work at ARB on a mandrel bending machine worth around $600,000. I don't think he'd be happy unless I was bending the 76mm pipes myself with my bare hands, because that's what he would have had to do in his day.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw

Last edited by MWTB; 24-06-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #11
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck
And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

Thats so we don't drive around and waste time. Some of us are efficient like that.
Old 24-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #12
K93George

Actually is it too late to jump on the old school band wagon? Just read a post on this thing called Facebook, a friend of mine uploaded a pic of his car tipped over and writes "Yeahhhhhhh boiiiii". I just don't understand...
K93George is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
Thats so we don't drive around and waste time. Some of us are efficient like that.
In 500 meters turn left and watch/listen to your silly satnav telling you what to instead of having a bit of a plan before you even set off , yep that makes sense ( paying attention to the road is optional if you use one of these )
Old 24-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i liked your post plucka, maybe i`m one of those non green oldies, i can remember having to chop wood to fire up the kitchen stove in the mornings(which was also our hot water), riding to work 8 k`s as a young buk on a bike that i saved for by picking up beer and soft drink bottles for the refund, and walking 2 miles to school at one stage, selling newspapers for pocket money....dam no credit cards back then .
MWTB a 72 hour week is a good weeks work, good onya mate, not out of the ordinary for some jobs though, and pretty common in the old days.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
IDT
Marko

Yeah Great Post Plucka, I saw the humour and the irony. Pity some seem to have missed the point. Don't be a hypocrite!

but what do you expect from these young guys
Old 24-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #16
el_wagon

Back in my day I could go shopping without any green bags and come home with tonnes of stuff without using plastic bags either, can't do that these days, too many security cameras lol
el_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 03:44 AM   #17
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
MWTB a 72 hour week is a good weeks work, good onya mate, not out of the ordinary for some jobs though, and pretty common in the old days.
Thanks mate. I couldn't deal with it, it was way too much. Waking up at 4am (not an issue, I still wake up early where I am now, but early wake ups, late nights 6 nights a week left no time for anything else) and getting home at 8pm or later 6 nights a week destroyed me. I had no time to see my girlfriend, my mates, couldn't go to pub night on Wednesday with the boys anymore, it sucked. And for $1000 a week after tax, it wasn't worth it. I don't make much less than that now working where I do, and I don't have to pay for eastlink, and I use 1/4 of the petrol I did, so the loss of income is made up for.

Something that ****** me off about a lot of people my age is they seem to think it's okay to not work and to just sponge off of mum and dad. I've got so many friends that have never worked in their life and claim they can't get a job because 'no one is hiring'. I made a point to make a facebook photo album and fill it with help wanted signs from shops I find. Its just laziness.

I don't think its fair to have a go at folks back in the day for not being as enviro-conscious as we are these days. Its not an issue that they knew about in such detail as we do now. You can't blame them for that.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

reminds me of a song that old timers know - we didn't start the fire, it has always been burning

the big problem is every generation thinks they are the smart ones, when how they act pretty much depends on one thing only - when they were born

nothing in this world is new - it was all invented long before my parent's generation came along. everything we use is 19th century ideas with a bit of later technology applied to make it cheaper for the average person
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Exactly right. Back in my day when we recycled bottles it was our parents generation that did it. My generation is responsible for what happens today. My kids will be responsible for tomorrow.
Old 24-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #20
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I only have one power point in the room... but it's running 7 appliances....

Is that green?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #21
burnz
VFII SS UTE

how where did i put that walkaround trolly, my grocerys in brown paper bag's need to go in it.

todays gen are just jealous because we got milk in glass bottles at school..lol
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Seem's to have hit a nerve with the young'ns.

I'm 40 & was right at the end of doing things "the old ways", would probably go back to most of them if we could, but not for environmental "green" reasons.

Most of that stuff we can't do if we wanted too, how hard is it to get replacement razor blades, can you even buy a razor that needs them, what would happen if you took your bottles back to the shop?
Some people do still use cloth nappies, though they are very hard to buy in a shop, many still use a clothes line to dry clothes, but many places don't have the space or sunshine areas to put a clothes line.
We can't get paper bags or cardboard boxes to bring our groceries home in any more, oh, & those "green" shopping bags are made from plastic too, don't be fooled you're saving the environment.
We didn't need to find a pizza shop, we made our own.
I'm an Electrician, & yes one power point per room was all that was needed, now at least one per wall is installed in every room, with lounge rooms indeed having a bank of usually 8 outlets minimum, just to run the TV equipment.
Now we have to pay a carbon tax because we use too much electricity, & will have to use & produce even more, when we all start recharging our electric cars.

The moderns ways may be easier, cheaper (arguably), & seem more efficient, but are way more wasteful. I never believed in "global warming" & needing to save the environment, but looking at it this way, maybe we do need to rethink the way we live? Not saying we need to go back to the dark ages, but going "Old Skool" mightn't be a bad thing?
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #23
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Comin from the generation who wernt scared to ride to school, wernt scared to walk to school,didnt have mobile fones to ring anyone who had a worthless life ,and wanted to know every foot step i made in life,went out clubbing walking the streets at 2,3 am without a care in the world
We survived and done well without going into debt we couldnt afford every 2nd day,we made do with what we had, we didnt complain the world owes me,we didnt expect handouts because we were too lazy to get a job, we were outta mum and dads pursue strings as quick as we could,standing up on our own two feet and making our mark on the world
It annoys me that people mid 20s , even 30s some even in their 40s are still at home complaing about everything possible

We do have to embrace technology,for the good it is
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a few people have lost the message in that "email" ......

Life was a lot simpler and things were made to last a lot longer then the rubbish you buy today.

And yes cars arent made of plastic, but there is a LOT of plastic in them now when compared to 30yrs ago.

We are constantly buying new stuff and throwing out heaps of crap which can never be recycled properly. Go back 30yrs and a TV was made to last a long time as an example.

Mums NEC TV last 28yrs! The new one last 2 months before it needed a new sound card.
The GE chest freezer lasted 38yrs.
My laptop lasted 2 months... needed a new screen... 2months later, needed new battery and cooling fan.

We are forced to "upgrade" because someone decided it was better...
Ie: analogue mobile phones... then came digital, next gen etc etc etc.. each time we needed to upgrade.

Analoge Tv.... all thrown out because we needed to upgrade to digital (or buy yet another power sucking set top box).

Its all very well to say, your a hypocrite if you adjusted with the times and then complain things were better all those years ago, but really what choice do you have?

How many shops are there where you can grab a cardboard box to put your groceries in? No instead you BUY a GREEN bag which has a half life of 500000yrs as the stupid things ARENT BIODEGRADABLE!

If you needed to find a business.. omg you looked in the phone book!
Then if you were unsure of the location... you grabed a map!!!
OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #25
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I see this thread getting locked, but I'll bite the bait

Yeah, except cars back then made half the power and used twice as much fuel, they still had lead acid batteries to start the thing
They were made for the purpose of the time
Dont ever remember the prehistoric GTHO being to shabby on power, slow by todays standards, but it didnt have multi cam, injection, turbos, a computer running it
I dont think the new breed of V8s with all this,injection, computers, maybe turbos are to shabby on their emmissions, economy,power either

Considering the old school cars were as simple to make , as simple to maintain(you didnt need a science degree to do an oil change) they seem to have been goin for along time , many been round the clock many times

The new breed dont have as many non servicable parts in them , the part works or it doesnt , non greasable moving parts, thats a step forward ......
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is what we Gen Y call 'owned' :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

look at the cars at +2 or +3 years into each decade and they appear light years ahead of predecessors
ten years before but the gap starts to narrow as we progress through the decades...
XA to XL,
XE to XA,
EB to XE,
BA to EB
FGII to BA

And yes I deliberately skewed the models and rules to prove a point..

Last edited by jpd80; 24-06-2012 at 11:09 AM.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great thread Plucka. I respect all the things "old timers" have done for us, but gen y was brought up in a world of technological advances. I'm sure the equivalent old timers of your time (when you were a young pup) were looking at you shaking their heads saying how easy you have. Mate I do it now, I'm only 25 and do it to my 2 youngens lol
I can only imagine what it will be like in another 25 years, I'll be sitting here debating the same issues you are about in my time.... That's as long as robots havnt consumed the world and killed every tree so we won't need a green bag
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #29
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
I wish my old man understood that.

I'm 21 and work two jobs 45-50 hours a week (6 days...and 12 hours minimum, 6 days a week at my previous job - 72 hours minimum a week) yet he still thinks I don't know anything about working because 'kids these days have it too easy with their mobile phones and internets'.

I work at ARB on a mandrel bending machine worth around $600,000. I don't think he'd be happy unless I was bending the 76mm pipes myself with my bare hands, because that's what he would have had to do in his day.
I know this is off topic but I also work at ARB, at the smaller Bayfield Rd site though, in the Polyurethane section. You in the pipe section? I haven't noticed your car there.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #30
Chopped
as in chopped

And yet it is being sent via email........

It's easy to reminisce about the "good ol' days" BUT most of the changes to society have been made by "old schoolers", either in business or government.

We all know Gen X rocks
Boo-Yah