Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-03-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Who has any experience with moving / working in US?

Has anyone any expereince with making a move to work in the US?

Company I work for has asked if I would be interested in relocating to the US.

My concerns are how much does it cost to actually live over there? I would have to relocate my family - wife, and 5 year old and 3 year old daughters. It sounds like it could be a great experience and lots of fun, but I need to ensure that they pay me enough to live comforatbaly over there.

Any answers would be great.

Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Contact MYVYSS mate, im pretty sure he did a trip a year or two ago!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #3
Sam_Boss260

Thanks Mick.
Old 17-03-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Yep he went there a while back. I think the Visa was his biggest issue in getting over there.
Old 17-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Beat me to it
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

im all over it like a fat kid onto a cupcake!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

They have jobs there now?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
plext
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
Massive boom in the repo field so I hear.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

lol you have PM mate...

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351

Yeah massive demand for Prison Warders, Parole officers, and unemployment benefit workers...

All jokes aside the IT sector is going great guns over there, I am getting a number of calls asking if I want to head back over there...just cant at the moment, and with the Aussie dollar low again...whoooo hoooo there is some money to be made there....

We got our US stimulus payment from Uncle Sam delivered to us today...thanks 1200 bucks USD for nothing....and also my US tax return just landed as well....its raining USD's at my place tonight.

Craig
Old 17-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Sam_Boss260

How long were you there for Craig?
Old 17-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
How long were you there for Craig?

About 14 months give or take...then we got pregnant and well....

OH points to consider..

If you love Coffee...dont go
If you love Fish n Chips Dont go
If you love Maccas here Dont GO

Mate remember you only live once.....and if you are going over on a E3 which is sounds like you will....its pretty easy once you get thru the red tape.....

Craig

Last edited by MYVYSS; 17-03-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 17-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those last three things are very true, just got back from the states and I am able to drink instant coffee again (it tastes great compared to starbucks), Flake has never tasted so damned good and god damn is lamb cheap here compared to over there 60 AUS for a small leg.

Which IT sector did you work in Craig?
Old 18-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #14
qwiksix

I relocated over there on an intra-company transfer, but it was about 10 years ago. Came back about 4 years ago. Incidentally, a lot of the people from Oz I knew/worked with when I was over there actually made the decision to come back to Australia to raise their kids.

Sam - where will you be located in the US? This is the main factor in costs etc.

Cheers
qs

PS: +1 re the US 'luxury lamb' WTF....
qwiksix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
Sam_Boss260

Yeah I know about the coffee... might have to send some Nescafe Gold over !!

Not sure where the job will be based yet and I still don't have any further details.......
Old 18-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
*rayman*
454 Power

What part of the IT sector is booming?

I a network admin for a small company, what are my chances of getting a job there with a visa included?

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #17
BrisVegas
Noobie

I did two stints there. First time was an intra-company visa (L1) and the second time was a proper sponsored visa with IBM (H1B). First visa was easy to get, second one took 4-5 months all up.

I'd go back again now if I found something. The salaries were higher and taxes lower than here and we saved a house deposit by sending USD$ home at nearly 2:1.

Moving is expensive if you take all your stuff with you. IBM moved me second time and I took a smallish amount of stuff, maybe 1/4 container, and it was US$6-7k. Renting apartments and furniture is extremely common over there, so no real need to take all your stuff with you (in hindsight).

I was in Charlotte NC, but travelling around was so cheap and easy with the Interstate highways and bargain flights. It's a worthwhile experience if you can pull it off.

Incidently, I came back in 2002 after the post-September 11 tech crash. My whole team was let go at IBM. It's all for the best, as we had planned on getting married and having kids back here anyway. The forced return just accelerated things a bit!
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #18
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by *rayman*
What part of the IT sector is booming?

I a network admin for a small company, what are my chances of getting a job there with a visa included?
You basically have to get a job there and get a company to sponsor you for your visa application. I.e. You won't be able to go there, get a job then get a visa.
Old 18-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
Sam_Boss260

My company is willing to sponsor me.
Old 18-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #20
BAFalconXT
Sold...

The cost of living in America would have fallen alot in the past year. If you are planning on staying there a while, houses in most areas are much cheaper than here. Cars would also be going cheap. Might be worth seeing whether anywhere would give you finance over there.
Whether the exchange rate goes up or down is the biggest gamble.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #21
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

I am in SAP as a Functional Consultant specalise in HCM (Human Capital Management). SAP sector is still going strong over there, if you are highly skilled you qualify for E-3 Visa quite easy to get, and also no need to worry about renews and stuff...it lasts for 2 years and is renewable as many times as you like, also allows as many entries and exits from and to the USA as you like...

As said it all depends on where you live, credit was hard to get at first and I was on 150k plus....couldnt get a 200 dollar visa card lol... I got credit for car loan pretty easy just needed a company letter stating I was full time and how long my length of stay was...blah blah blah...leave almost all electrical here, and if you are in need of new furniture buy it over there...its bloody cheap..if I was to go again, I probably would not take anything but clothes with me...and just buy all again, we went over with a 20 foot container and come back with a 40 foot...if you rent an apartment over there you will find they all come with Fridges, Washing Machines and dryers...

Costco is where you shop for most items....LOL

www.costco.com
www.bestbuy.com

Comcast for all your TV and Net requirements..250+ channels, all calls in the USA and Canada including Mobile (Cell) plus 2000 odd movies on demand...plus Cable Net unlimited and un capped around 30mbps 130 bucks lol...

Craig
Old 19-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #22
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

In my opinion things are cheaper in the US...

--Russ ;)
Old 21-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No TIM TAM's !!!!
Old 22-03-2009, 02:30 AM   #24
Denim
Denim

No vegemite, fish an chips, burgers as we know them here..(with the lot).. no 4'n'twenties with sauce, least u can get Fosters, but thats it, but the bright side of things, you wont be short of a young attractive female hangin off ur arm.. wanting to listen to ur accent, an you will have one very furious an jealous wife to contend with, depending on the sort of work you do, pay could be very good, or at least comparable to here, either way, you should have plenty to buy a nice cheap Mustang Comaro, Corvette or whatever takes your fancy at a good price there, when I went over there, I met a chic, she kicked out hubby, so I could move in with her, an thats no lie, an absolute doll, but, if you value your life you quickly move on, LOL.. cost of living was cheaper to here, if you eat out, you HAVE to tip, great variety of takeaway food there, and generally.. I found the place an eye opener.. bit of a culture shock, be prepaired to get homesick, I stayed in Detroit, I quite enjoyed it.. rough as it was, I also been to Witchita in Kansas.. and found that a boring place, unless your passing through.. do the trip.. its an adventure you'll never forget.
Denim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 02:44 AM   #25
Denim
Denim

One thing though, you'd be best going first, find a place, get it ready for the family, then have them come over, also depending on the state ur going to, you'd want to find the right suburb to rent in, cause racism is still around, moment you open your mouth tho, generally I found the colored to be quite easy going and friendly people, I found people to be quite friendly, but only because Im Australian, and find out what areas to avoid at nights, living there is a bit different to living here.. lol.. as you'll find out. like I said, an adventure you'll never forget.
Denim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #26
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bondi Australian restaurant has australian foods and drinks in San Diego
Old 22-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #27
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Hahahaha....No...it's Carfee...Not coffee. I didn't say no to the true "bottomless cup". LOL!
Even try the "Outback Cafe" however no foods felt Aussie, funniest thing was buying a can of Fosters, it was the "depth charger" version (750ml)..Bewdy!

Hey Craig, are you a citizen of the US? Or have major ties (financial) to get the stimulus?
The wife is from NY, though she doesn't file her US tax return as she has no financial ties back there, so just wondering how the stimulus package arrived for you?

You know the funniest thing I ever had to do over in the US, calling United Airlines automated flight checker that goes on voice recog.
Trying to say the word "Melbourne". Said I wanted to go to Mobile, Alabama.
After 10 minutes of pure frustration, I conjured up the courage to stupidily put on an american accent.....
Oh my, it worked, but I was red faced as the wife wondered what I was doing for such a simple task.....I said "please, you didn't hear anything or see anything".

It's a fact of life, you just have to get used to it. Yes even the skunks (oh my god, you can keep them).

Go do it....I would.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #28
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
Hahahaha....No...it's Carfee...Not coffee. I didn't say no to the true "bottomless cup". LOL!
Even try the "Outback Cafe" however no foods felt Aussie, funniest thing was buying a can of Fosters, it was the "depth charger" version (750ml)..Bewdy!

Hey Craig, are you a citizen of the US? Or have major ties (financial) to get the stimulus?
The wife is from NY, though she doesn't file her US tax return as she has no financial ties back there, so just wondering how the stimulus package arrived for you?

You know the funniest thing I ever had to do over in the US, calling United Airlines automated flight checker that goes on voice recog.
Trying to say the word "Melbourne". Said I wanted to go to Mobile, Alabama.
After 10 minutes of pure frustration, I conjured up the courage to stupidily put on an american accent.....
Oh my, it worked, but I was red faced as the wife wondered what I was doing for such a simple task.....I said "please, you didn't hear anything or see anything".

It's a fact of life, you just have to get used to it. Yes even the skunks (oh my god, you can keep them).

Go do it....I would.
Mate I am an Aussie born and bred, I spent the one stint over there, but had to do my taxes for last financial year (US Taxes) and when it arrived, I also got the 600 per person (US Tax registered, Myself and my Wife) paid in a seperate cheque. I am stoked have had 2 very large and (Federal and State taxes) and also the stimulus cheque arrive at home in the last 3 weeks.....I may even qualify for the Aussie stimulus package, as I only got back last March so my earnings on last financial year from Australia are only for 3 months...also the wifes investments didnt make 80k so we might both qualify for it....we are looking at a mini spending spree....(already spent 30k this month)

Craig
Old 14-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #29
Sam_Boss260

Just an update on this. Just had discussions yesterday on this, and whilst i thought it was buried and gone, the boss is still keen.

So some details that I have so far, and please any comments or feedback or experiences, please post them up as I am crapping my pants at the moment.

Location: looks like Pheonix is the go, as my wife has one of her best friends living there, so I figure better to have some support around than nothing. That location is being confirmed by the company as being ok.

Duration: 2 years

Package: So far we have talked in Aussie dollars, and yet to define the exact breakup of thye package. But it will include the first 2 months rent whilst we find a place, then a living from home allowance after that. Then there is commission/bonuses and compoany shares too. 1 trip per year back to Aus for the whole family as well.

I want to push for 2 trips per year back, with the first one being Christmas this year, as they are talking October 1 as the move date. I would be working from home too.

It's all a bit scarey for me, we have house, cars and heaps of stuf here, so have to work out what to do with all that.

But anyway, let's just see what happens.