Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #61
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "It's only a Falcon".

I think you see these type of resale posts on every brand cars forum, I was on a beemer forum last year with guys complaining about resale.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #62
lindo
Black Beauty

I bought my current shape Toyota Prado VX for my wife in 2010.

It cost me $70K.

I could advertise it for $60 on carsales no problem, and it now has 70,000 kms on it.

Some cars do hold their value much much better than others. The Toyota Prado being one, if not the best on the market.
hurricane headers, 2.5" twin mandrel bent, hi-flo cats
lindo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #63
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The problem as I see it is brand perception by the public...since Ford stupidly did away with the proper names for the higher models (Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia), they're all now "just Falcons" in the eyes of buyers and dealers, and that gives them an advantage come sale or trade in time.
LOL! You've obviously never tried to trade a Fairmont Ghia. My EF Ghia which I bought new for around the $45k mark IIRC, 4 years later at Peter Warrens was offered $5k as trade. A number of other places were offering between $6k and $8k. 140k on the clock, serviced every 10k and brand new box.

Ended up getting $11k for it as a trade on a VT SS S2.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #64
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Talking Re: "It's only a Falcon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindo View Post
I bought my current shape Toyota Prado VX for my wife in 2010.

It cost me $70K.

I could advertise it for $60 on carsales no problem, and it now has 70,000 kms on it.

Some cars do hold their value much much better than others. The Toyota Prado being one, if not the best on the market.
Does that make up for driving such an ill handling ugly **** though :-)
Old 13-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #65
lindo
Black Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Sure does as our lifestyle dictates having a 4WD.

It's very competent taking the family to Fraser Island to go fishing, towing a boat, and going camping.....Very happy with the Prado.
hurricane headers, 2.5" twin mandrel bent, hi-flo cats
lindo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #66
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
It's still the best all round forby on the market , maybe when ranger gets the wagon thing happening I will have a look .as it stands nothing comes close for solid true 4by with comfort , options , looks are personal .I am a 4 time patrol owner and if they put the navara motor under the bonnet I would be back in one ( though had zero issues with any of them )would love a terry but lack of off rd ability kills it , pajeros are not my cup of tea , landcruiser and new patrol too big and clumbsy.and almost all others with quality / reliability issues .want a falcon as second car. But all its short comings after long time 4wd ownership always gets me thinking , don't care for resale much as I believe this throw away society will wake up soon , long term ownership is where its at for value .

I see a lot of people whinge about resale 2 years into ownership ..serious ya can't be that silly to think its going to be good ( bar a couple exceptions not the rule ) want minimum loss either keep it longer or buy a cheap car like all the others these days ...
Old 13-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #67
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Oh and I like how mine looks

Old 13-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #68
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75 View Post
I see a lot of people whinge about resale 2 years into ownership ..serious ya can't be that silly to think its going to be good ( bar a couple exceptions not the rule ) want minimum loss either keep it longer or buy a cheap car like all the others these days ...
have to agree - i wish i could afford to complain about resale every 2 years . . . . hell even every 5 years would be good
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #69
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Double post

Last edited by vanman_75; 13-01-2013 at 02:25 PM.
vanman_75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #70
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wish I could get a new car. if I could I wouldn't sell it for at least 10 years
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #71
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when I bought my FPV Cobra and took it to the first service, I gave him a list of things I wanted fixed, a couple were fit and finish. The service manager said "you know it's just falcon, same production line as a Taxi"

I told him "give me back $45K I'll accept the finish as it is" but my delivery was littered with the "F" word and ended with the word that rhymes with Rick.

He quickly realised the error in his comment.

As stated earlier in the thread, if they sell the car it's up there with the Euros, when they trade it or need to do warranty repairs it's just a Taxi.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #72
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know that sort of attitude shown by the dealer is a great way to get return business. And a really great way to stand behind the product.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #73
ZGM86

The "it's just a Ford" or "all Fords are crap" thing bothers me more when it's just people in the street (as in, not dealers) who say it. At least you know what the dealer's agenda is, they're trying to drive the price down to maximise their income. That's fair enough. When you have friends who have never even been in a Ford and can't differentiate between different models of Ford, but still think that all Fords are crap "just because". They can never give a solid reason, or name a particular model that had problems (there are so many different models of Falcon that have come out in the last 53 years, they can't all be crap). The brand has a stigma with some people for some strange reason. They've been brainwashed, but by who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74 View Post
I sold an EL XR6 in October for $4500. Took about 2-3 weeks before I had a buyer locked in, the first to see it. I had it advertised for $5500 the first week and got nothing except for an idiot who offered to swap for a '97 Ford Probe (why would I want another older car when I'm trying to get rid of one?), dropped it to $4950 and got a few calls. Had to turn away about 5 or 6 enquiries after taking a deposit.
That's good money for that, I'd be happy with $4.5K. When I dropped mine to $4750, I had one guy in person saying he'd take it for $2K, another phone enquiry offering mid 3's. Under $4K is only okay if the car is in rough condition, mine is in good condition. I've been trying to sell since September and am getting sick of it, will just have to let it go for less than I want, I suppose.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #74
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I found myself using it's only a ford, at a kids birthday party. This fella was going on and on about a BT50, when I said it's only a Ford you know? LOL
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: