Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Holden's SIDI models fall short of promise

Holden's SIDI models fall short of promise
Article from: The Courier-Mail

By Mark Hinchliffe

December 04, 2009 11:00pm

FUEL economy has more to do with your mind, the size of your right foot and the type and colour of car you are driving.

Yes, you can do all the maths and physics and work out on paper how an engine, transmission, aerodynamics, weight and other factors can affect economy – but these are purely theoretical.

They make a statement on paper, but they don't mean much in the real world.

I recently drove three Holden V6 vehicles with the new 3.0 and 3.6-litre spark ignition direct injection (SIDI) engines.

The Omega and Berlina of all body styles get the 3.0L engine and the rest of the range has the 3.6L.

Holden quotes fuel consumption figures for the Omega 3.0L as 9.3L/100km, down from 10.7L/100km in the superseded model, while the SV6 Ute has the biggest improvement for the 3.6L, down 13 per cent to 10L/100km.

I drove a grey Berlina Sportwagon (3.0L), which returned 10.5L/100km, an even greyer Calais sedan (3.6L), which yielded 10.7L/100km, and a bright-coloured Ute (3.6L), which failed all economy tests with a poor 12.3L/100km.

I cannot claim to have driven to the standard conditions as laid out for official ADR fuel consumption figures – and I can't even claim to have driven the same distance nor type of road conditions for each of the three trials.

Yet these figures still reveal a lot about the cars' performance and economy.

The first thing of note is how good the economy figures are for the Sportwagon, which is heaviest with its big cargo area which I utilised with a loaded-up trip to the dump.

It's not the 9.3L/100km quoted by Holden but it's quite respectable and included the commuter crawl to work for five days, weekend shopping and errands, and very little highway driving.

It's also nowhere near the 6.48L/100km it achieved in the recent Global Green Challenge from Adelaide to Darwin.

The Calais is also worthy of note.

It performed much the same "real-world" duties – albeit no trip to the dump – and returned almost the same economy figures as the Sportwagon.

Both cars appeal to my family nature with their roomy cabin and functional design.

Consequently, I drove like a family man who needs to get home to his family in the 'burbs every night.

Then along came the ute.

It was fitted with a tow bar and there was our old beer fridge that blew up and needed carting to the dump, so it was in for some punishment.

Plus there was circle work to be done . . .

Well, not exactly, but with the lighter weight and the bigger engine, it seemed to sprint off the line a little more willingly and dance around in an entertaining fashion in the corners.

All this, plus the vibrant metallic orange colour ($500 extra), got me all excited all the way down my trousers to my big right foot.

The result was fuel figures that seem to call Holden a liar.

So, unless you are competing in the Global Green Challenge, fuel economy is largely going to rely on your attitude – it also helps to have a sedately coloured family sedan or wagon.

If economy is not your sole goal, but simply a happy side benefit, then you may be pleased to note that these new engines are also more powerful.

Holden claims the power output from the 3.6L is up 15kW to 210kW.

And, even though the new 3.0L is the smallest Commodore engine in more than 20 years, it still develops a healthy 190kW.

The engines also sound quieter and more refined.

That is, until you stamp on the loud pedal and then they wick up the volume quite pleasingly.

Cabin noise may also be decreased by Holden's use of new, low-rolling-resistance Bridgestone tyres and the 50rpm reduced idle speed on the 3.6L. It all helps economy and comfort levels.

It should also be good news that they now all come with a six-speed automatic transmission rather than some of them being hitched to the old four-speed sludge box.

But it isn't.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I don't like the six-speed transmission.

It feels like it has an overactive thyroid gland, too willingly dropping down one or even two gears at the hint of extra throttle.

That may be great for performance, but not necessarily for economy or driver fatigue.

I found it quite annoying how much the transmission jumped around, even though it is quite smooth in its changes.

There is simply no need for such volatile gear changing. After all, the small engine has 290Nm of torque and the bigger engine has 350Nm, up 30Nm from the previous engine. Surely this torque can be used to draw the car up a hill or cope with a little extra throttle without shifting gears.

My comment..Cann't the ACCC charge HOLDEN with false advertising ?
AND Ford should be advertising how economical the FG is over the Commodore, much more than they are now. Go for the jugular Ford !!!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
bigdude1011

It's funny that it's a Newscorp paper saying this, but if it was Paul Gover writing, he would put a different spin on it
Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

What paper wrote this ??.
I might need to start buying it, they seem to know what and how to write good journalism.
And the truth shall set you free ,lol...
Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
What paper wrote this ??.
I might need to start buying it, they seem to know what and how to write good journalism.
And the truth shall set you free ,lol...
The Courier Mail. Queensland. Cars Guide. Saturday's liftout.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Deco28

You can't keep saying these figures fall short of promise .

It's not like Holden runs the ADR fuel rating, it is independantly run and Holden's engines got their impressivefigures.

If these articles really wanted to compare propeperly, he would have compared it with another car, say the Falcon, to see howthey compare.

He can't compare his figures directly to the ADR rating, we have no idea how hard he drove, where he drove etc.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco28
If these articles really wanted to compare propeperly, he would have compared it with another car, say the Falcon, to see howthey compare.
It has already been compared with the FG Falcon on a 1000km test and got smacked then as well. So I think the proof is in the pudding.

It's a DUD!
Old 05-12-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there's been testing directly between falcon and sidi commys, the falcon still came out on top
Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Last weekend drove from eastern suburbs Melb to Bendigo and back in the G6E. Reset the 'thingy' and it showed 8.5/l for the trip. I did not drive for economy either. On the freeway it hovered continuously around 4-6/l at 100km's. Either it was broken, the way I drive, the fact that there is a fair amount of freeway (but quite hilly in areas) ..... but I thought it was damn good anyway

Get of your bums FORD and show the peoples how good the FG is!!!!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8

My comment..Cann't the ACCC charge HOLDEN with false advertising ?

Quote:
You can't keep saying these figures fall short of promise . It's not like Holden runs the ADR fuel rating, it is independantly run and Holden's engines got their impressivefigures.
exactly. holden haven't made any false claims yet. it has been proved that they can do over 900km on a tank on the highway, even though due to the tank size it doesn't actually equate to impressive figures, and as mentioned, the other claims are from figures determined by the ADR process.

i don't know why people need to call them dud. if you compare them to the engines they replaced, they are an improvement. for those who care little for how quickly the car reaches 100 (which is a lot more people than some on here may think), the 3L will do the job for the majority of mums and dads who buy them.

people need to get over their bias and embrace the fact that there is still competition. this garauntees that ford will have to keep working at improvements which all benefits the end user.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the article points out about the 6 speed being very sensitive to throttle, this is a by product of tuneing a smaller less torquey engine to pull heavy car, if the ve auto was tuned to be nice like the fg 4.0l 6 speed auto, the car would be a slug, horse high power figures are no substitute for torque.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont know why, but it does brings a smile to my face evey time I read an article that is so bad towards Holden!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #12
HSE2

There are those words again

Real world
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
the Sportwagon, which is heaviest with its big cargo area which I utilised with a loaded-up trip to the dump.

what a waste of a trip to the dump. obviously his wheelie bin was more than half full already, otherwise it would've fitted in there!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

who cares about sidi - each of my cars have a sido and that is all that matters to me
Old 06-12-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
what a waste of a trip to the dump.
Yep, he should have left the car there.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #16
351capri
windsorman

he should have left the pus-boxes at the dump!!!! ive said it before ,and i'll say it again, holden are the kings of b.s. . but it looks like they are slowly being found out. the dopes that buy these sidi commodores based on holdens b.s. ads deserve them. ford's marketing department need to pull their fingers out asap and highlight holden's fraudulent boasts!
Old 06-12-2009, 02:38 AM   #17
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
It has already been compared with the FG Falcon on a 1000km test and got smacked then as well. So I think the proof is in the pudding.

It's a DUD!
If they wanted to compare apples with apples, they'd also included the torquey 3.6l SIDI.

Bathurst track = need torque.

Its simple.

I can drive my Mates XR6 more economial than my 4 pot lancer over the roads to Port Douglas, because of TORQUE.

I notice nobody wants to compare the 3.0l SIDI in the city, what it is designed for.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
If they wanted to compare apples with apples, they'd also included the torquey 3.6l SIDI.

Its simple.

I can drive my Mates XR6 more economial than my 4 pot lancer over the roads to Port Douglas, because of TORQUE.

I notice nobody wants to compare the 3.0l SIDI in the city, what it is designed for.
You say that Bathurst is only for torque, then how come sidi did not make up the difference when it was coming down the other side, what goes up must come down. Surely if the sidi was so good it should make up for it for no throttle at all to come down Conrod Straight.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

Its simple.

So becuase the Falcon makes more torque is this unfair to Holden and we shouldn't compare..
Whats to compare anyway Holden made the big who ha claims about millage and was shown up.
The problem is the V6 makes its torque all to late, you have to keep it in the higher rev range on the V6 engine to gain good torque, therefor it uses more fuel this surely isn't the torquey Falcons fault.
The Commodores are now heavier and have a smaller displacement since VZ and with the above points to a car that lacks torque and uses more fuel than the Falcon..
Maybe Holden could sell torque in a can.J/K.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 06-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #20
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Spooly, hit the nail on the head there.

I have been at logger heads with a lot of people, on the differences on the V6 vs I6 issues. Regardless of capacity.

V6 needs more revs to get the same power and same torque value of the I6.
More revs = more fuel used to get the same power (allowing differences in bore and stroke)
V6's are good for city/ low load limits and good fuel economy, but place a load on them and they suffer.
Hence the "Bathurst test".

Something not a lot of people can understand this.

An V6 engine, can't go up a hill with a load as efficiently as an I6 can. It's as simple than that.
Why don't they advertise in the ad's a V6 "sisi" engine going up hills with loads and compare it to the Falcon?
That's because they would loose the argument.
Not everyone drives a flat straight FWY road with a tailwind.
Hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Yeah, can of "Whoop Torq"...... : :
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
Deco28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
You say that Bathurst is only for torque, then how come sidi did not make up the difference when it was coming down the other side, what goes up must come down. Surely if the sidi was so good it should make up for it for no throttle at all to come down Conrod Straight.
Because the I6 can come down doing nothign as well, DUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolman
So becuase the Falcon makes more torque is this unfair to Holden and we shouldn't compare..
Whats to compare anyway Holden made the big who ha claims about millage and was shown up.
The problem is the V6 makes its torque all to late, you have to keep it in the higher rev range on the V6 engine to gain good torque, therefor it uses more fuel this surely isn't the torquey Falcons fault.
The Commodores are now heavier and have a smaller displacement since VZ and with the above points to a car that lacks torque and uses more fuel than the Falcon..
I beleive Commodores are lighter, without actually going and checking the figures o.0.

No I was saying they should have included the 3.6l SIDI to see how it fared in there Bathurst test.

This has all been argued before. I'm not writing it out again.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:34 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

how many have a mountain in their local area. i believe a 100% city cycle test (ave km/h below 35), would show the 3L in a more positive light.

some people fail to grasp the idea that not all people are interested in performance figures. a lot of the people that do put a lot of emphasis on performance times are usually the ones who just want to win the ford v holden arguements and will probably never own one.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
how many have a mountain in their local area. i believe a 100% city cycle test (ave km/h below 35), would show the 3L in a more positive light.

some people fail to grasp the idea that not all people are interested in performance figures. a lot of the people that do put a lot of emphasis on performance times are usually the ones who just want to win the ford v holden arguements and will probably never own one.
Mt Panorama is what you would call "mountainous terrain". As far as who has hills close to them that are as steep and high as the track at Bathurst, only about two thirds of the population of Australia......

Ever driven around Sydney or Brisbane or any coastal area from basically the NSW/Vic border to Cooktown or Tasmania.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #24
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The company that I work for has 2 new commodores as reps cars, 1 sportswagon and the other an omega both with sidi engines. They took delivery of them 2 weeks after release and are trading them back to Fords after Christmas as there fuel economy is nowhere as good as the BF's that they replaced and even further away from the FG's that the company has in other states.

Suffice to say they are not going to switch to Holden for the rest of the fleet that was originally planned. But I suppose Holden wont worry about the loss of the sale of over 150 cars cars notion wide.

Quote:
i don't know why people need to call them dud.
Because of the figures from reps that are in traffic day in day out and they continue to return crap figures is why people are able to call them DUDS
Old 06-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Mt Panorama is what you would call "mountainous terrain". As far as who has hills close to them that are as steep and high as the track at Bathurst, only about two thirds of the population of Australia......

Ever driven around Sydney or Brisbane or any coastal area from basically the NSW/Vic border to Cooktown or Tasmania.
On my 35 min trip to work through suburban melb id encounter atleast 5 climbs similar to that found at Bathurst...
You cant drive anywhere in melb without going up and down hills..

Old 06-12-2009, 05:50 PM   #26
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Some people are getting to petty here,
The fact remain's that this compitition was done like a Dyno result should be,
Same vehicle/s
Same day,
Same track.
One winner, end of story.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #27
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new cars nowadays should nearly run on nothing (technology mechanical advances ect ect )ive got a 1983 nissan patrol (nearly 3 tonne )diesel (3.3 litre)non turbo 4 speed (no overdrive)and it costs about $50 to do 250 klm round trip (mostly highway)but the wifes 1997 4.2l nissan patrol (petrol)4 speed auto(with overdrive ) same trip costs $60 ,wow thats an advancement !!!!!!!
best mates mum has a svz(v6) commodore at the time it was new (only coupla years old),it was the most economical 6 you could buy,but if you try and accelorate at 100 kmh ,the ecu starts to shut down cylinders,(hence cheap to run )if you want to overtake a b double truck ya wont do it in a hurry (gradually accelorate or it starts to shut down ),now are these vechicles safer or more dangerous ??????
Old 06-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #28
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Not really a surprise that the figures they stated were a fair way off the mark, the 4ltr still has the v6's measure if you ask me, the 3ltr and the 3.6ltr still have some one to go to match the I6s fuel consumption and torque out put
Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
prydey
Rob

no where in any of my statements have i ever said the sidi is better than the ford motor. i just don't bag it because i believe it has improved on what went before it.

in all the tests i've read/seen, where cars are compared on the same day through the same conditions, the sidi engines have done o.k.

i wouldn't be using a reps driving as an example either.

i didn't realise this was for one eyed members only. sure, ford make a very good product that early signs show has not much to worry about from the competition but that doesn't make the opposition a dud.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #30
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Because the I6 can come down doing nothign as well, DUH!

I beleive Commodores are lighter, without actually going and checking the figures o.0.

No I was saying they should have included the 3.6l SIDI to see how it fared in there Bathurst test.

This has all been argued before. I'm not writing it out again.
You've really lost it from the point that Bathurst does not really matter, it is the going between two points that matter in most cases. So this talk about torque seems to upset those that have holdens, and guess what, torque helps you off at the lights as well for those who have forgotten.
Closed Thread