Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #31
stig_3754

Default Re: What a nightmare I've just gone through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser351 View Post
Yeah Mate - Tried that, it asked to send a new verification code to either an SMS or to e-mail. I picked the SMS as the phone number was xxxx xxx 868.
My number ends in 868, so that's why I was getting the text messages. As of yet no new verification code. It looks like they might have fixed the phone number to the correct one. I also tried the old verification code I received in May - no good.
Not worried about it - I could always ring them, but not too concerned.
Can always try the email verification option too. Seems weird but if you're not worried about it then it's all good!

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #32
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFBarraWGN View Post
...Oh and i was in Adelaide about 6 months ago for a week for work.

The Sth Oz number plates are all over the place its quite funny actually.

ALL sorts of wierd different numbers and letters over there!!!
Yeah we are now: X111 XXX (Letter Number Number Number Space Letter Letter Letter)...used to be: XXX 111 (Letter Letter Letter Space Number Number Number).

But either plate style works with our toll system:

Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #33
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
It is also a failing of the Citylink toll system...
Yeah, well my VF has a BMW 740i in Vic with the same plates.

On the upside they can probably afford to pay for my indiscretions

There is no doubt in my mind the whole toll collection deal needs a look at.

For a couple of months my ute was being charged at "private use" rate (which is how it's registered) on one side of the Gateway Bridge and "commercial use" on the return leg of the same trip.

I had to "prove" that it was registered as "private use" even though they believed it half the time

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #34
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tujqM2u-BVo
Old 24-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #35
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Thankfully we don't have any toll roads in the NT, but when I was travelling through Brisbane a few months back in my NT registered vehicle I did wonder whether they'd be able to distinguish my plates from NSW plates. Aside from the glaringly obvious colour differences (though if the photo is in black and white, it probably doesn't matter), a few years back the NT followed NSW in having AA-00-AA as the letter/number combination after we ran out of 000-000 combinations. A unique arrangement might have been preferable I think.

Point of the story is, yes, they found me soon enough and I received the toll notice in the mail (have no e-tag).
Old 24-08-2018, 01:19 PM   #36
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Thankfully we don't have any toll roads in the NT, but when I was travelling through Brisbane a few months back in my NT registered vehicle I did wonder whether they'd be able to distinguish my plates from NSW plates. Aside from the glaringly obvious colour differences (though if the photo is in black and white, it probably doesn't matter), a few years back the NT followed NSW in having AA-00-AA as the letter/number combination after we ran out of 000-000 combinations. A unique arrangement might have been preferable I think.

Point of the story is, yes, they found me soon enough and I received the toll notice in the mail (have no e-tag).
We ran out of the standard XXX-000 (3 letters followed by 3 numbers) long ago in Vic, so now have moved to mixed letter & number combinations.

I have never understood why Vic and other states did not simply follow WA's lead and simply allow more than 6 alphanumeric combinations.

It would have also meant a lot more money in the government coffers, allowing a greater choice of custom plate combinations than being limited to just 6 digits.

That's the problem with govenments today... They are not forward thinkers looking to the future.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #37
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just be thankful Vicroads don't charge an annual fee for personalised plates like NSW do , too much forward thinking can cost too much.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #38
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
See that's the thing... If the thieves steal your plates from your car, you report them as stolen... That goes straight to the police and transport authorities database.

Many police cars now have number plate recognition technology cams as they drive along the road, and alerts them on suspect plates, etc.

So easier to get caught nowadays.

But make a copy, put them on the same model car and colour and you could go undetected for a long time as no one would know.

Hmm... Here's an idea.... Buy two cars exactly the same model, year and colour.... Register only one of them and move the plates between them depending which one you want to drive each day.
Half your rego costs per year.

And what's more our Vic state government has made it even easier, as now there are no more rego labels stuck to the windscreen required with the rego number printed on it to match the number plate.
Funny you should say this,
I have 4 Ford Trader trucks all are Stark White, all around 90-92 models, all have identical drivetrain, 2 Are flat beds and 2 are van bodies. The 2 van bodies share a letter off custom plates. With one of the flatbeds having a similar custom plate as well.
Imagine the money I could save swapping plates whenever I wanted to but imagine the damage I could do in an accident and then with the possibilities of the authorities checking the chassis numbers afterwards.

I already have some locals scratching their heads, thinking I must change the van bodies somehow until I inform them the plates are slightly different and they are not the same truck.
Even Vicroads are confused since I bought the Falcon PVan because it to is registered as a 93 Stark White Ford van.

ROCGUY

ROKGUY

and ROKWIZ

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #39
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I got $30+ worth of tolls on the M5 charged to my tag a couple of years back. Except the amounts charged didn't correspond to any toll amount at the time.

So I rang up to query it, and the operator was all too happy to pull up the photos to prove me wrong...except I wasn't. They could not find my car or my plates having gone through the tolls at all in the previous 3 years. they could not explain what the amounts charged were for, or how they got my tag number.

I got a refund the next day, but had I not checked my account statement when the email came through, I wouldn't have noticed it.

At work we also had an issue where certain vehicles were getting repeated fines for using toll roads, despite having had tags fitted.

The tags only have a finite amount of battery life in them, and had gone flat, which the RMS/M5 tried to blame us for not knowing, as we should have heard the beeps when travelling through (In a bus with 60 kids on board, good luck hearing anything).

Eventually they replaced all our tags with new ones, and over half were found to be flat or nearly flat. Which I don't ever remember reading about anywhere in their paperwork.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #40
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’ve noticed the same white on green number plates appearing on 2 different cars in a car park in Canberra. XX.123. One car is a merc suv and the other a late model caprice. Having noticed them seemingly swap back and forth between the 2 cars I took closer notice. One set is ACT and the other is NSW. I suppose it is one way to have the same personalised plates on 2 different cars, and yes it is the same owner.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #41
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

slightly off topic imagine have 2 identical vehicles including false identical plates then going through toll booths in different parts of the city/state at the same time,
I think that would cause work stress for someone.
Old 29-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #42
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:

Hmm... Here's an idea.... Buy two cars exactly the same model, year and colour.... Register only one of them and move the plates between them depending which one you want to drive each day.
Half your rego costs per year.

And what's more our Vic state government has made it even easier, as now there are no more rego labels stuck to the windscreen required with the rego number printed on it to match the number plate.

Worked......err i mean, would work well except as mentioned, in the case of an accident (one) car is not insured and a can of worms opens up with ugly outcomes.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #43
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Just received an update to my dilemma from Linkt (Citylink)...

They sent me an email stating that my number plate is now on their "watch list" for all toll roads they manage nationally if there is a dispute.

What this means, is that every time my number plate or someone else with the same number interstate goes through any of their tolling camera points, it will be examined to ensure it goes to the rightful owner on future trips.

I also have a contact person looking after the case and case number for reference, I can contact if future errors are made and I am incorrectly invoiced.

So hopefully this won't happen to me again.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #44
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's nice to know, GF.
But....
I would suggest that it wouldn't take much effort by them to develop a comprehensive "watch list" of number plates duplicated across states. How many from our small population size (AFF) have identified duplicate plates in other states???
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it's good to have the standard nsw style plate of AAA-11A. No other state has that combination from what I have seen.

Also is it normal in other states to have about 100 different styles of plates like in NSW?
Every month it seems there is another hand full of plate style released.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #46
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I've had similar issues to this for the last few years. Each time Ford gives me my free roadside assistance for a year when the car is serviced, they tag it onto a car that has the same number plate as mine but is located in TAS! So each time I have to ring up the dealer and tell them to assign the roadside assistance to my car. Bit annoying!