Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #1
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford and utes

Dropped my AUII ute into the local Ford dealer this morning for a service. Same as every other time I'm sitting in there waiting, there is a LONG line of utes in for servicing; mainly workman's utes, tradies, etc. Always far more utes than anything else. Ford still seem to own the "real ute" market. Many people many poo-poo that, but to me it's a sign of their reliability and value-for-money. When I drop my SV8 into Holden for servicing, all I generally see are Commodore sedans, and maybe a few Berlinas, Calais, etc. Holden might make more money per-unit selling sedans and whatnot, but Fords dominance of the ute market is kind of reassuring to me .. something they do well.

OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Ford still seem to own the "real ute" market.
Doubt that, Hilux sold over 3000 last month :
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 12:23 PM   #3
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do not acknowledge the products of Nippon .. I hope that if I ignore them, then they will disappear .. :monkes:
Old 28-11-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
SPS85
Poppa

That's right, Ford is the king of the ute world! End of discussion I have an AUII XL and it's the best car I've ever owned. Never had any major issues with it and don't really expect to anytime soon (cross my fingers). For a stock engine, it is smooth with a decent amount of power. The lines of the car are sleek and sexy, yet still bold. It's been lowered, but still rides and handles like a dream. Excuse me while I go have a bat... lol
Old 28-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #5
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
I do not acknowledge the products of Nippon =:
TOO RIGHT. :evilsasmo :evilsasmo

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Doubt that, Hilux sold over 3000 last month :
:

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
I do not acknowledge the products of Nippon .. I hope that if I ignore them, then they will disappear .. :monkes:
New Navara about to be released has 198kw ! they are real competition for the Aussies 6's now.
The sooner Ford bring out an awd ute based on the Territory the better.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

true, i have some die hard holden mates who have ford utes for work, their old holden utes died very quickly and they said they know the falcon utes last
Old 28-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
Transit Truck

Until you get in a falcon ute and drive them for a year or so, you don't know how comfortable they are compared to the rest.

If you like to bounce around and drive a truck, by all means buy a jap ute.

If you like a multipurpose vehicle which is a pleasure to drive interstate and not too shabby to go out either, the falcon is the best.
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiklovich
Until you get in a falcon ute and drive them for a year or so, you don't know how comfortable they are compared to the rest.

If you like to bounce around and drive a truck, by all means buy a jap ute.

If you like a multipurpose vehicle which is a pleasure to drive interstate and not too shabby to go out either, the falcon is the best.
I dissagree, Jap utes are the multipupose vehicle, they seat 5 people and have four wheel drive, Falcons are not in the same class, i can't take my family to the snow in a Falcon ute.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Not only that, just look and see how many old rocket Falcon utes that are still getting around.

My XF I picked up for 2 gees 4 years ago is still going strong.
Admittedly the engine died this year, but I picked up another rusty XF ute for $50, and used the engine & tailights off it........

Parts are cheap & easy to obtain, they're easily fixed, and they're just a legend!!

Falcon Utes Rule!!!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 10:35 PM   #12
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I dissagree, Jap utes are the multipupose vehicle, they seat 5 people and have four wheel drive, Falcons are not in the same class, i can't take my family to the snow in a Falcon ute.
Course you can you can get at least ten in the tray!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #13
f6xer

My brother looked into both aussie chioces and ended up with the blue oval. he choice was mostly economical but now he swears by it. Cant blame him. They look great and go like the clapers.
f6xer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
:
Yep, toyota sold 3402 Hiluxs in september (source: wheels), thats huge, especially when only 3900 falcons were sold in the same month.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 01:35 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am finding out there on the road that I see many more Ford "work utes" than Holdens ... the only Holden utes out there are the "show pony" SSc really ... and they aren't all that common.

It's rare to find a tray back Commie ute as well.

For a work vehicle though ... especially in my field of work (courier driving) the majority of the utes out there are Falcon (a hell of a lot are EGAS models as well) ... then followed by the Hilux 4x2 (lolux really).

I am suprised how well mine handles load (and it's not the 1-tonner either) ... i have taken 1-tonne loads on the odd ocassion and it has driven nicely.

One of the managers of the courier company I used to work for had a Commodore "Storm" ute .... and he could handle much over 500kg ... even at that weight he said it felt dangerous ... and he said it was crap at towing anything more than a small box trailer.

I am happy with my choice in ute ... and I hope Ford keep the good utes coming for the Aussie worker.

Holden I think as resigned to the fact they can't make a decent work ute anymore ... hence the stop in production of the 1-tonner in the next model coming up.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2005, 01:41 AM   #16
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, you're right a completrely different class. Japs/Koreans/etc don't make a "ute" .. they make pickups and/or small trucks.

I can't think of any sedan-based utility made by TOYota, Nissan, etc???? Oh, hang on! That Jumbuck Proton thingo .. that's about their speed!

Just like the Japs don't make anything similar to dualcab, dual-rear-wheeled, F350 and the like ..

FYI: My ute is NOT a work ute (although it's a one-tonne). Its just comfortable enough, small enough, and interesting enough to drive around daily but tow a horsefloat, cart car-parts, etc on the weekend.
Old 29-11-2005, 01:46 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

One word spells the death over any variant of the Holden ute as a serious competitor.

SUPERCAB.

Pure and utter gold.
Old 29-11-2005, 06:26 PM   #18
SPS85
Poppa

Damn straight zetec! For the sake of the argument, try fitting in 2 12 inch subs behind the seats in a VS or something (not too sure on the newer Commies). Easily achievable in my AUII with the all mighty SUPERCAB! I've even had a mate behind the seats once (before I put the subs in), and he aint the smallest of people either... Would you believe, I even tried to sleep behind there once! Too many lumps and on the floor :(. Anyways, GO FORD! Let's do it again in 2006! Rusty's the man!
Old 29-11-2005, 09:17 PM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yeah, I was lucky enough to have an XR8 Mk II ute over the weekend at Phillip Island, I was one of the lucky dudes driving the drivers around! 140km/h down corner 2 to 3 was the highlight!!!

A change from my normal beloved Focus, I hadn't spent more than an hour straight in a ute. It is mind blowing. We packed 2 eskies, a bucket full of washing equipment (to tart up the ute on sunday morning at the track), 2 deck chairs, a backpack and a Melways in the Supercab and still didn't breach the window line. Just magic.
Old 30-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #20
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Yep, toyota sold 3402 Hiluxs in september (source: wheels), thats huge, especially when only 3900 falcons were sold in the same month.
I think it is the new model "bubble", give it a few months.

OzJav, Toyota and Nissan make F-truck size utes in the States, I doubt we will ever see them though

Totally agree on the Supercab space issue it is brilliant, I had an AU2 XL tonner for work for a while. Too bad they are not a ute in the true sense of the word though : (separate tray)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #21
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes you have to love our ford ute and the panel van at that too (when are they coming back ) you load them up with what you want and tow a heap at the same time thats what lost it for the Commodore they can only pull 1600 kgs and the tray are made of thin steal too , try putting a ton in the back of one of those and see what happens
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 01:01 AM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I went from an XG to an AUII ute ... and the interior cabin space is massive in the AU with the SuperCab ... that's where my subs and amps live now ... hee hee ... and still room back there to put other bits and pieces as well.

It'd have to be the most practical vehicle that I have bought ... and I actually make money with it ... not waste money with it.

Especially living on property as well ... it gets used for it's intended purpose all of the time.

XLS with sports suspension cab still handle a tone of pavers with ease ... albeit slightly lower in the rear ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #23
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
OzJav, Toyota and Nissan make F-truck size utes in the States, I doubt we will ever see them though
I've seen the Tundra et al whenI was in USA last year and it wasn't an F250/350 .. more an F150 .. although the V8 Tundra double cab is getting close(ish)?
Old 30-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #24
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

The Good Old XF you just can't kill them, indestructible, u thrash the crap out of them and they just won't die
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #25
mustang

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb91xr6
The Good Old XF you just can't kill them, indestructible, u thrash the crap out of them and they just won't die
tell that to my bros XF pano : but dirftin and burnouts will do that to a stock 3speed auto out:
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 08:37 PM   #26
Nugget_TX5
Starter Motor

yeah I agree my old XG was a tank once had it packed full of camping gear and i still pulled 160 km/h until the front got light. She was beast til i wrote her off
Old 01-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #27
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford and holden are lucky toyota dont sell the Tundra in Australia
very nice ute with that silky smooth V8

and when are ford going to sell a twin cab falcon ute??
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #28
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
New Navara about to be released has 198kw ! they are real competition for the Aussies 6's now.
The sooner Ford bring out an awd ute based on the Territory the better.
Wait till you drive the 2.5L Turbo diesel!! Same as the Pathfinder, 128kw and 400nm of Torque! And it ueses less than 9l/100km combined.

While on the utes, I love my ute, and I know it looks good with the hard cover on but I yearn for the days when I get to take it off and load up the back. Even on superlows they can carry 500kg safely and comfortably. :evil_laug

YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #29
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate that is one nice ute
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #30
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too be honest I dont think the BA-BF Falcon utes look as good as the VY-VZ Commodore utes (No im not being biased its the un-holy truth).
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post