Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
rodent5l
EL XR8 (185kw)

Default E10 unleaded only at selected NSW Caltex outlets

I got the surprise of my life today, when I pulled in to the northbound Caltex twin servo on the F3 expressway between Sydney and Newcastle.

E10 unleaded is now the only non-premium unleaded available at this outlet.

Not good when your company fuel card is only authorised for standard unleaded fuel and you are not sure if your XR8 would appreciate a drop of E10.

Apparently there is a web site where you can check if your vehicle is suitable for E10.

www.fcai.com.au/ethanol.php

rodent5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

I just bought a tank of Caltex E10 for my BA XR8 and was told that it was a 95 Octane rated fuel.... have I been told a fib??
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

no, ethanol added fuel has a higher octane than 91 unleaded. 95 is probly on the mark.

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Its fine to use in most cars, if your XR is tuned (or reccomended even) foro 95 or 98 Octane you're better off not using it.

I don't know where this leaves Carburetor cars though? Will they be forced to fill up with 95?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Essentially airmon, yeah. That sucks.
I'd never touch E10 with a ten foot pole. It just ain't worth it. Its a far lower density fuel, and despite the octane rating has a lower BTU rating (less energy per litre). If im gonna be buying a low BTU, high octane fuel, it better be damn cheap, just like LPG!