Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Indian Premier League (IPL)

It kicked off early thismorning (12:15am) in fine form with brendan mccullum (kiwi keeper) smashing 158 off 73 balls to totally dominate the game. due to the early hour i didn't manage to watch the whole game but overall it seemed o.k. there should be some big scores as the grounds are small and look very fast.

i wonder if all the big dollar players will handle the pressure to perform?

also seems weird watching players who would normally be playing against each other and hating each other, playing in the same squad.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I watched McCullum's innings, what a deadset freak. This will be very entertaining to watch.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I predict you're watching the beginning of the end of International cricket as we know it today.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I predict you're watching the beginning of the end of International cricket as we know it today.

you could be right but i hope you're not. i enjoy all forms of cricket but the t20 format is very unforgiving. i like watching batsmen build an innings but in this version of the game the pressure builds with every dot ball. last night the new batsmen in couldn't match the pace of mccullum and due to the fact that there were few overs remaining, didn't have the luxury of getting their eye in. they try to come out and go at 10+ an over and get out.

i might jump on the back of the 'deccan chargers'. their bowling stocks seem a bit slim although that may be because i don't recognise them but the batting includes vvs laxman, gilchrist, symonds, afridi, gibbs and R sharma.

a lot of late nights coming up. luckily i'm on arvo's at work this week so early rising is not important.
Old 19-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20-20 and "cricket" don't belong together.

IMO, 20-20 is an entire new game.

It's like comparing sprinters to long distance runners.

Their skills differ greatly.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
20-20 and "cricket" don't belong together.

IMO, 20-20 is an entire new game.

It's like comparing sprinters to long distance runners.

Their skills differ greatly.
i agree entirely! i'm one of those cricket fans who's favourite form of game is test cricket.

i'm just enjoying the ipl for what it is.
Old 19-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #7
TadKa
Wait? What?

I can't wait for 10ten or 5five, maybe even 1one. I do enjoy going to a good 1 dayer. And love listening to a day nighter at work then coming home to sit in front of the telly with a beer. I like test cricket but 1 dayers are my prefered form.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i agree entirely! i'm one of those cricket fans who's favourite form of game is test cricket.

i'm just enjoying the ipl for what it is.
Im with you aswell. Nothing wrong with the entertainment value though, just watched Huss smash 116 off 56. Brilliant stuff.
Old 20-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
prydey
Rob

another innings down and another centurian. this time one of our own. the illustrious Mr Cricket. a lazy 116 from 50 odd balls. team score of 240.

edit - beaten to it!!

Last edited by prydey; 20-04-2008 at 03:31 AM.
Old 20-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #10
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was watching but fell asleep :(
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

was really looking forward to game 4 last night between knight riders and deccan chargers. first time out for gilly and symonds so was hoping for another slog fest. unfortunately the groundsman prepared what can only be described as a joke. even the indian commentators were bagging it. about 2 or 3 overs in there was much concern and even the umpires had a bit of a chat. they decided to play on and it was clear from the start that a run a ball total would be more than enough.

gilly played his usual little cameo seemingly unaffected by the pitch (23 of 22) then symo came in and played a real backbone innings while others fell around him. with 4 overs to go he tried to up the tempo, which he did for a bit with 20 of 1 over but then fell also (32 off 39).

the knight riders were chasing 111 and looked like never getting there until D.Hussey came in and played a similar role to symonds. not worrying about runs too much, just staying around. they got home with 1 over to spare.

to top it all off, a light tower went out with 3.2 overs to go. had the game ended there, under d/l it was a draw! they were getting ready for a bowl off when after 30min the tower came back on. reminded everyone of the 2007 world cup farce.

one thing brought up by the commentators shich i agree with is the way everyone is getting on. 3 months ago the aussies and indians wanted each other's blood, now they are in the same team. all seemingly enjoying the game together. good to see!
Old 21-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I'm a big fan of seeing new pairings throughout the teams, as stated its good to see players from all countries playing together and getting along. Its like a giant game of "Dream Teams"
Old 21-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #13
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
was really looking forward to game 4 last night between knight riders and deccan chargers. first time out for gilly and symonds so was hoping for another slog fest. unfortunately the groundsman prepared what can only be described as a joke. even the indian commentators were bagging it. about 2 or 3 overs in there was much concern and even the umpires had a bit of a chat. they decided to play on and it was clear from the start that a run a ball total would be more than enough.
Same here. Was very dissapionted with that so called wicket. Atleast the Aussies went hard though in comparison.
Old 22-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

does anyone else notice that the broadcast switches from a 16:9 picture behind the bowlers head, to a stretched 4:3 picture from the side of the ground? fromt he side on shot the player look stumpy and fat, get a little arkward to watch imo..
Old 22-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

did i really see the xxxx angels in the opening ceremony? :
Old 22-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #16
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
does anyone else notice that the broadcast switches from a 16:9 picture behind the bowlers head, to a stretched 4:3 picture from the side of the ground? fromt he side on shot the player look stumpy and fat, get a little arkward to watch imo..

That was just Warney...
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
That was just Warney...

speaking of warnie, he's lost none of his touch. 3 for 19 @ under 5 an over in a T20 is a good effort. i'm glad he's captain too. if he wasn't such a tool off the field when he played for australia he would've captained them as well. he is a good captain.

chargers on again tonight. go gilly and symo. hopefully the pitch can allow them to showcase their power.
Old 22-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
chargers on again tonight. go gilly and symo. hopefully the pitch can allow them to showcase their power.
Time for a coffee.
Old 23-04-2008, 12:04 AM   #19
prydey
Rob

too right!! there are some advantages to shift work. not having to get up early every other week is one of them.
Old 23-04-2008, 01:54 AM   #20
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully Simmo can hit a few more than Gilly did.
Old 23-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilXR8
Hopefully Simmo can hit a few more than Gilly did.
he did. in fact twice as many!

they were well and truly outplayed last night. mcgrath is as miserly as ever. i wonder how much extra pressure the $1.4M price tag is creating on symo. his bowling is way below par, or just not good enough for the T20 arena.

come on chargers, turn up the wick.
Old 23-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #22
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha yeah. I went to bed after Chargers got out. Poor score, not much of a change of a win. Hopefully they'll get it together in the next match.
Old 23-04-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

i was in bed well before 2am.

maybe the first couple of games set the bar too high!
Old 24-04-2008, 02:14 AM   #24
prydey
Rob

hayden v 'obnoxious weed' tonight. should be good. hopefully he puts him over the fence a few times.
Old 24-04-2008, 03:23 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
hayden v 'obnoxious weed' tonight. should be good. hopefully he puts him over the fence a few times.
Great innings by Hayden, too bad Dhoni's decision to run got him out.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #26
prydey
Rob

of all the players to throw down the stumps, it had to be harbijan didn't it.
Old 24-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #27
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Looking at the scorecard of last nights game (I haven't been watching...) is there any reason why Harbhajan only bowled 2 overs? He was the most economical of all the bowlers, and with Hayden on a tear, he would be the obvious bowling choice. Seems like very poor captaincy.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #28
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Looking at the scorecard of last nights game (I haven't been watching...) is there any reason why Harbhajan only bowled 2 overs? He was the most economical of all the bowlers, and with Hayden on a tear, he would be the obvious bowling choice. Seems like very poor captaincy.
Your last line says it all. Even the Indian commentators were very critical of his decision not to bowl his 4.
Old 24-04-2008, 11:55 PM   #29
fatbats
Starter Motor

Thats because he's captain. Captains often under bowl themselves
fatbats is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

What a champion Andrew Symonds is. Fastest 100 in the IPL off 47 balls and brought it up with a MASSIVE 6 of Shane Warne and then followed it up a couple of balls later with another 6 while backing away. Awesome.

Last edited by RG; 25-04-2008 at 03:03 AM.