Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-11-2005, 01:58 AM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default MARKETING PROPOSITION TO FORD! Come on... HOT HATCHES!

Maybe Ford Aust should focus more about cars for image. I remember hearing about Suzuki Swift GTI: "Although it accounted for only 10 per cent of sales, it is the car that is remembered and everyone wants to know when Australia will get a new one to go with the all-new Swift that has been racking up record sales".

Ford has to start somewhere.... and i think it should be with the Fiesta ST, and the XR5T.... both great HOT hatches waiting to give something to the Australian Market. Holden did so with the Barina SRi and Astra SRi Turbo. I think it is Ford's chance now!

Taken from Carsguide:
Quote:
Gorman says Ford must do better with its small cars because the Focus and Fiesta have lagged behind their rivals, despite the quality of the cars.

"It has been a year of lost opportunity in the small-car market. That has been our failure. We haven't got up to speed quickly enough," he says.

"Fiesta has been a good product for us," he says.

"The private buyer is really providing the growth. And the vast majority of that is in small cars.

"The segment is the biggest it has been at any time in history. We have to pick up the game."
This is after they dropped the price of the Fiesta with $1000 cashback till the end of the year, to get rid of 1000 Fiesta's in stock before the new model is out.

Maybe they should get the right product here, market a SPORTY version, and see what happens. I think they failed misserably with the terrible German ad.... Because, if you notice, although lately they have been dropping prices and giving free stuff with the Fiesta for a while, the number they sell hasnt really been increasing. Im sorry, but cheapening the image doesnt make it better.

Swift sales are ragging, and their base car still begins at $15,990! With the S at $17,990!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 07:05 AM   #2
na01

Speaking of loosing opportunity in hot hatch segament is Honda with their Type R Civics. I wish they brought those cars in OZ... Bang for your bucks there.
Nissan has realized the market in "Small Car segament" and quote "Thinking big in small car market" and will probably be bringing out the Sports Concept some time in the near future. They say the price will be kept low to encourage first time car buyers.
Here's the little pic.

From this pic here you can tell this car will be bigger than Fiestas.

Ford should also start flexing their muscle in the small car department as well. We haven't had too much excitement in our small hot hatches OZ and considering the fuel prices getting higher, its a good timing to start introducing them.
na01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 02:21 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Yea, i so agree. That is the new Nissan Tiida and its going to replace the Pulsar. Apparently the stock models will have a 1.8L with 6sp manual.... however they DO NOT look sport at all, apart from that model above.

In Australia the following are the only Hot Hatches (from what i know, cars that bring a smile to your face):

Suzuki Swift S $17, 990
Ford Fiesta Zetec $18, 490
Holden Barina SRi $22, 490
Citroen C2 VTR $22, 990
Peugeot 206 GTI $25, 990 (special till dec)
VW Polo GTI $26, 990
Ford Focus Zetec $27, 490
Toyota Corolla Sportivo $28, 990
Mazda3 SP23 $29, 120
RenaultSport Clio Cup $34, 490 ($32, 990 for non-cup)
Peugeot 206 GTI 180 $34, 990
Holden Astra SRi Turbo $36, 990 (was here)
Mini Cooper S $38, 500 to ridiculous prices
RenaultSport Megane 225 $39, 990 (Cup soon to be released)
VW GOLF GTI $39, 990 to $42, 290
FORD FOCUS XR5T should be somewhere here....
Honda Integra Type S $42, 990
Audi A3 TFSI Ambition S/B $49, 950
Alfa 147 GTA $59, 990
BMW 130i $62, 000 (approx)
Audi A3 3.2 Quattro SportPack $73, 990

Missing from the list:
Audi S3 - only second hand now....
VW GOLF R32 - not sure if you can still get a new one
Mazda MX5 - soon to be released
Honda S2000 - more a convertible.... but still a great competitor

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 21-11-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
GROOV3
Rollin

gold r32 is being released again, i read it today, about 20 000 punds or so

not sure if we will get it here though
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Yea, i so agree. That is the new Nissan Tiida and its going to replace the Pulsar. Apparently the stock models will have a 1.8L with 6sp manual.... however they DO NOT look sport at all, apart from that model above.

In Australia the following are the only Hot Hatches (from what i know, cars that bring a smile to your face):

Suzuki Swift S $17, 990
Ford Fiesta Zetec $18, 490
Holden Barina SRi $22, 490
Citroen C2 VTR $22, 990
Peugeot 206 GTI $25, 990 (special till dec)
VW Polo GTI $26, 990
Ford Focus Zetec $27, 490
Toyota Corolla Sportivo $28, 990
Mazda3 SP23 $29, 120
RenaultSport Clio Cup $34, 490 ($32, 990 for non-cup)
Peugeot 206 GTI 180 $34, 990
Holden Astra SRi Turbo $36, 990 (was here)
Mini Cooper S $38, 500 to ridiculous prices
RenaultSport Megane 225 $39, 990 (Cup soon to be released)
VW GOLF GTI $39, 990 to $42, 290
FORD FOCUS XR5T should be somewhere here....
Honda Integra Type S $42, 990
Audi A3 TFSI Ambition S/B $49, 950
Alfa 147 GTA $59, 990
BMW 130i $62, 000 (approx)
Audi A3 3.2 Quattro SportPack $73, 990

Missing from the list:
Audi S3 - only second hand now....
VW GOLF R32 - not sure if you can still get a new one
Mazda MX5 - soon to be released
Honda S2000 - more a convertible.... but still a great competitor

I would say XR5T should actually be just under SRi Turbo in terms of price?
Old 22-11-2005, 01:28 AM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
VERY much doubt it. It is more a Golf GTI and Megane 225 competitor. Meaning it would be around $39, 990.... it has more doors then the SRi Turbo, more power.... and better yet, its bigger. So i doubt it would be cheaper then the SRi Turbo.

Hey, on the XR5T issue.... lets hope they get supply right this time!!!!!!

Old 22-11-2005, 02:52 AM   #7
simonr
Focus Rookie

Speaking of marketing..
Maybe ford might be keeping supply low as a strategy .. lol just like this article i found...

"This 'tactic' may be catching on in marketing land: Microsoft have listed in their conditions of supply on the new Xbox range to some sellers in Norway that they must sell out of the product in the first day and display a 'sold out' sign to ensure they receive their full allocation of stock."

I suppose people always want what they can't have.
Old 22-11-2005, 06:52 AM   #8
na01

Sounds like this marketing tactics has also been used by VW with their Golf GTI. You have to wait few months if you want one.... Sounds shifty but if it works, why not hey.
na01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
ive also had friends price up an XR5T at about 35 large with mid spec options
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #10
parawolf
beep beep

As you may have noticed, Ford is doing a lot of pushing advertising at the moment with regards to new german transmission, dynamic stability control and other refinements to the new BF Falcon. Have you noticed how many of those adverts on TV actually include a car driving on the road? And how many shots on the road are different? Total is 1. Why? the cost of putting a car on a closed road to do 'professional' driving with fly pasts and everything is mega expensive, think 7 figures.

Thats why we are seeing so many adverts. They used the one cut of road usage, in multiple ads, as well as adverts that don't show real life cars (DSC slot car advert).

To me its working, i'm seeing more of the Falcon, learning more about all the changes to the BF and so would the average punter. At the moment Holden only have 2 ads, SSZ and Lumina. Both show cars on closed roads/environments which would be $$$$$

Unfortunately with the sales success of the BA/BA2, the BF could take a little liberty with 'showing' the car. People know what it looks like, they like the look, they just need to know about the improvements. This is unfortunate for the all new look Focus, and the relatively under promoted Fiesta.

Ford Australia needs to use the European/American footage to promote these new vehicles so they do not need to develop their own complete marketing campaigns. This helps keep costs well down. But it will be a struggle to then creatively tailor these car adverts to the Australian market.
Old 22-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #11
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
VERY much doubt it. It is more a Golf GTI and Megane 225 competitor. Meaning it would be around $39, 990.... it has more doors then the SRi Turbo, more power.... and better yet, its bigger. So i doubt it would be cheaper then the SRi Turbo.

Hey, on the XR5T issue.... lets hope they get supply right this time!!!!!!
An article, i think on Drive.com.au said it would start at under $35k... at that price, they will need to keep supply up, or they will end up with supply issues like the Golf GTi.
Put into perspective, i think the base model VW Golf GTI in the UK is 19995 pounds, and the 5 Dr ST is going to be 18095 pounds....

Can be only good for people wishing to buy one here!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

WOW... at $35K, its just above the SP23 Leather Pack, and its WAY below the Megane 225 and Golf GTI.... if this is right, Ford are going to have a VERY big supply issue.... i guess it might be a good thing, as the GTI already has issues, meaning peolpe wont really have a choice. Sounds good to me....